View Poll Results: Taking bets?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Complete trust. DX3 will be better than the first

21 14.69%
  • They're good and will reach DX1's level.

60 41.96%
  • Just a good game.

38 26.57%
  • They won't pull it off, average game.

17 11.89%
  • It will be a disaster, an utter failure.

7 4.90%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Thread: Your faith in Eidos Montréal

Your faith in Eidos Montréal

Your faith in Eidos Montréal

Think about what we know so far:

The first pictures and informations (october 2008), interviews, the team, the production cycle, the engine, the trailer, the situation at SCi, consoles.

It isn't much but it should be sufficient for the time being.

Vote.
    "The year is 2027"

I dont have any trust for them because they have not given me anything to work on. The only thing I have to work with is a 30-40 second teaser just telling me there is going to be a third Deus Ex showing a fetus that could of came from the movie "Matrix" and in about three months it is going to be a year from when they made the press release that they are going to make it. I want more maybe story line or maybe some game play or just pictures or maybe to just to put it rest if this game going to take place before or after one of the games. To me this is like area 51 we all know it is there but no one in the government denies or acknowledge it.

Didn't the mods delete this?

thats what I thought.

maybe they did and the person reposted but i still stand on what i said above.

Originally Posted by Draco1979
    maybe they did and the person reposted but i still stand on what i said above.
    I agree with you. games are made to sell to the largest possible audience. In the past, they used to be like art. People like Levine, spector, smith and other could push the envelope and make truly great games. now, it all focus group and marketing driven.

there ain't even many small independents left anymore. almost everything has been gobbled up by the conglomerates now.

Originally Posted by GlobalNode
    Didn't the mods delete this?
    Absolutely not. I did it to change the poll.

I think they will do well with the game, but really its too early to tell. It probably wont be as good as Dues Ex, but show me a game series where the first one is not the best in the series!

imho Baldur's Gate 2, Zelda Majora's Mask, Rayman 2, Turok 2...

I stand corrected then. I haven't played any of those games though. I've got the Baldur's Gate collection, I haven't played them yet as I've been side tracked by other games. So you reckon I should play Baldur's Gate 2 first?

It's not sure BG2 is better than the first one. But it's at least as good. You should start with the first and set up the amateur graphic mod.

I'd be truly surprised if they couldn't make DX3 a better game than IW was. All they need to do is start reading what gamers have been saying about the disaster called IW. The flaws were so self-evident that it would take a complete fool not to learn from them. The real question is naturally whether they can reach the same level of quality as in the orginal DX or not.

Originally Posted by jordan_a
    It's not sure BG2 is better than the first one. But it's at least as good. You should start with the first and set up the amateur graphic mod.

Do I just install the amateur graphic mod or does it need tweeking to get it to work?
    http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6...newfavehf7.png
    Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken- Tyler Durden

You know I really shouldn't reduce myself to replying to such threads but seriously....

And you know what about making games? ...

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but good grief if you're going to dismiss the game before you've played it/read the design document/have ANY bloody idea of the storyline - then quite frankly - and forgive me - you're talking out of your arse.

These things take time - no development team wants to put out a crap game believe me, although due to external factors the final quality of the game can suffer. Such is life.

Shouldn't we - as a thriving DX community - be giving positive ideas, constructive criticism and some good karma?

Originally Posted by metche
    you're going to dismiss the game before you've played it.
    That's not the point of this thread. It's just about the trust we put in the studio, our hope: it's purely personal and abstract.
    Originally Posted by metche
    Shouldn't we - as a thriving DX community - be giving positive ideas, constructive criticism and some good karma?
    But this is exactly what everyone is doing on other threads.

I'm thinking everyone who had been waiting for IW the same time that I had will vote somewhat negatively. It's a lot like going back into a relationship after just having a bad one. I have a "we've heard all of this before" attitude. Remember the badass cover of PC Gamer with JC Denton on the cover holding two P90's? How psyched were you after that? It's going to be the same damn thing, the only thing that may be different is the game, and I pray it is.

I am not dismissing the game I just wish Eidos gives us something more then a teaser. I never said I wanted all of what I said just one of the things I said. And to add more to the list maybe some polls for Ideals they are thinking of so we as clients that will buy the game can voice our opinions and know where are being heard.

I'm thinking everyone who had been waiting for IW the same time that I had will vote somewhat negatively. It's a lot like going back into a relationship after just having a bad one. I have a "we've heard all of this before" attitude. Remember the badass cover of PC Gamer with JC Denton on the cover holding two P90's? How psyched were you after that? It's going to be the same damn thing, the only thing that may be different is the game, and I pray it is.
    I couldn't agree more. games are very over-hyped now. till I see and play a demo I'm not getting my hopes up.

Yeah, I remember that, or the fancy talk about how the AI will react to players shadows ... didn't happen.

But what really shocked me was when I saw the box cover for DX:IW, some guy holding a gun 'gangsta style' ... I knew then and there that this game wasn't going to be even remotely close to the first one.

Originally Posted by B0b_P@ge
    But what really shocked me was when I saw the box cover for DX:IW
    Ho I know that feeling only to well. To me it was more "What the hell?..."

I'm not sure that the question shouldn't be whether we have faith in Eidos UK, rather than Eidos Montreal.

Game developers tend to want to make the best game possible. Thet vast majority of developers go into the field because of a love of games, and it becomes a matter of professional pride to create something at once wonderful and meaningful, like Deus Ex. Game publishers, however, tend to want to make as much money as possible. Both philosophies are understandable, but the latter can seriously mess up a game.

Spector stated that he'd been pressured several times to "just make a shooter" during the development of Deus Ex. Does this kind of pressure still exist in the industry, or at Eidos itself, with the popularity of mindless chaff like Gears of War and Halo 3? It's worse now than it's ever been. Check your brain at the door and just make a shooter, and try not to drool on yourself in the process.

I suspect that Deus Ex 3 will much more closely resemble Bioshock than it will Deus Ex 1. While this doesn't quite fill me with warm bubblies, in the current climate of big-budget, low-margin game development I think it's probably the best we can hope for.

So, faith in Eidos Montreal? Sure. Faith in the direction that profitable publishers are heading? Not even a little.

There are two reasons that I have hope in Eidos Montreal: The first is that The Crystal Engine was actually used in a previous DX game ("Project: Snowblind", formerly titled "Deus Ex: Clone Wars")...But the most important reason is that they're taking two years to finish DX3...

I've read how Warren Spector and Harvey Smith asked for and got six more months to work on DX to tie up all the loose ends, so every major NPC got their final bow (boss battles with Simons, Hermann, and Chow; Jock's possible bombing; Savage and Tongs' final requests). This completely enhanced the epic fullness of the DX story...Unfortunately for DX:Invisible War, the publishers made them ship the game before it could get the same treatment (See, it's not all design flaws!). They need the time to do DX3 right and make a "Godfather Part II" and not a "Phantom Menace"...

I can't vote in the poll, 'cause there's no option that's between "a good game" and "reach DX1's level". I think DX3 will be a great game, but it will take a herculean effort to equal the original...Instead I'll just wish all of Eidos Montreal the best of luck and encourage them to continually explore the vast landscape of DX ideas within this forum...

Well on a difficulty scale for a fairly average company, it would probably rate about a 2/10 to beat IW and a 1540/10 to beat DX.

In fact - I'd amost consider using the word 'impossible' in reference to beating DX. Even if DX3 has better gameplay etc. I just don't think it will be able to pull me over the nostalgia of the first game.

To pull off a game BETTER than DX, they would need to have ALL the features of DX (lets face it - it was pretty flawless) + some new things that have developed since like nice physics engines, etc.

I'd like to see ALL the skills and augs from DX PLUS more - and MORE opportunities to use them!

Put in TONS of secrets - every time I play DX through I find a new very well hidden stash of ammo or something.

There are just too many things.

Not only that, unless this is a prequel, DX had a far better setting. I don't give a crap about a demented future where the Illuminati rule the world via the 'Order' and the whatever the other one was, with demented cities and 'coffee wars'.

When they've finished DX3, they should take about another 3 months to check all the designs, put in more details and secrets and add/remove vents and stuff like that.

Will never beat DX1, but they can at least make the 3 as good as the first.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last