Thread: Rahabim Ideas?

Rahabim Ideas?

This idea is fantastic.

The Rahabim with their utter devotion to Kain would never let an attempted resurrection of the human society just slip by without incident - even if there were other clans working to fight against them. The hooded/cloaked idea is also a good way to a) uniquely separate them from the other vampires and b) allow them mobility in sunlight even with their sensitivity. I vote yes for this, whole-heartedly.

In terms of appearance, I always believed them to be more snake/lizard-like rather than that of an actual aquatic animal.

Originally Posted by The_Hylden
    They wind up looking like fish, sharks specifically, not serpents.
    I think people have been suggesting the cobra (reptile) thing as an evolutionary midpoint between human (mammal) and fish. It sounds reasonable considering the problems with including swimming or full water immunity in the game, although there are plenty of other options.

Originally Posted by Fathomir
    This idea is fantastic.

The Rahabim with their utter devotion to Kain would never let an attempted resurrection of the human society just slip by without incident - even if there were other clans working to fight against them. The hooded/cloaked idea is also a good way to a) uniquely separate them from the other vampires and b) allow them mobility in sunlight even with their sensitivity. I vote yes for this, whole-heartedly.

In terms of appearance, I always believed them to be more snake/lizard-like rather than that of an actual aquatic animal.
    One thing in the original post I disagreed with though, is the part about them working with the Zephonim. Rahab was loyal to Kain, but Zephon would stab anyone in the back if it suited him. Rahab was always the smart one or at least placed high value on having information. He would be unlikely to trust Zephon and IMO he would always be the one to see through his manipulations.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 3rd Apr 2014 at 11:49.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Just one point about the backstory:

Originally Posted by JSMVLXRR7
    The Zephonim in particular took a special delight in inflicting several stinging humiliations upon their self righteous brethren, including, in a great feat of hidden engineering, subverting the courses of several underwater rivers causing the apocalyptic flooding of the clan's capitol stronghold, with many of the clan's leadership dying in agony as the water cascaded through their halls. This massive fortress-abbey was among the most treasured works of art and architecture of Kain's dark renaissance, and was a popular site for pilgrims coming from every clan to gaze upon this formerly great monument to the glory of Kain and his most devoted son.
    The Drowned Abbey was strictly of human origin, not a vampire monument. It's indicated that it was flooded even before the Rahabim chose to settle there. I can see some interesting plot being hatched in relation to how it came to be submerged, but keep in mind that the Elder God chooses to blame this event on Nosgoth's decline and natural ecological cataclysms.

Otherwise, this backstory is surprisingly well written. I like that someone else gets the vibe that Rahab would be Kain's closest and most loyal confidant, despite his lower rank in the empire hierarchy.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Okay, so I've read everything others have said in here, some awesome ideas knocking about, and very lore-friendly ones, too.

So we know that the lieutenants, and therefore their clans, gained power based on the order in which they were created, with Raziel the first gaining the most of Kain's power, and Melciah the last gaining the least. The lieutenants were created in the following order: Raziel, Turel, Dumah, Rahab, Zephon, Melciah. This means Rahab, and therefore his children would be only slightly less gifted than Dumah and his offspring. We also know that the Rahabim will eventually turn into horrible reptilian/aquatic creatures with cobra-like hoods behind their heads. They will become immune to the acidic effect water has on most Nosgothic vampires, but so sensitive to sunlight that even the smoke-blotted sun of future Nosgoth will immolate them. Lastly, they develop the ability to spit what is described as a bubble of 'foul water', presumably some sort of corrosive/venemous mixture they secrete.

We also get the impression from what we know about Rahab, that he was perhaps more loyal to Kain than any of the other lieutenants. He is apparently the only lieutenant Kain bothered to visit during his time spent skipping forwards through time (the fact that Kain had not devolved when we meet him in SR1, and that he has disappeared in the Nosgoth era pretty much confirm this is what happened). Rahab is fanatically loyal to Kain. Where the other lieutenants fear and respect him, Rahab worships him.

Due to the difficulty of implementing water mechanics into the game, it is unlikely that we'll have a Rahabim class that can lurk in pools of water to ambush their prey, cool as that would be. But what aspects of their character/future do we still have to work with?

1 - Their increased weakness to sunlight.
    2 - Their eventual appearance as scaly amphibious freaks.
    3 - Their insane devotion to Kain and his ideals
    4 - Their ability to spit venemous/corrosive liquids at long range.

So, based on these, I've come up with the following bit of fanfic (for fun), and some ideas for how the class might work in-game. The stuff others have already said, and the 'zealot' idea really got me thinking like twisted battle-priests or like space marine Chaplain sort of things.

Ever has Rahab been the most devoted of Kain's six vampire lieutenants, and his clan are no different, kept tightly under control by Rahab. The fourth-born lieutenant has instilled in his clan unshakeable faith in the superiority of the vampiric race, and their divine right to rule over Nosgoth and its peoples, with Kain as their emperor. Rahab is one of the weaker lieutenants, and his children are likewise less gifted with Kain's divinity. Rahab, obsessed with pleasing his emperor, was driven to improve himself and his clan to match his older brethren. Taking inspiration from Zephon, they began to experiment on themselves, but they sought not a way to accelerate their evolution. Instead, Rahab sought to harden them against the weaknesses inherent in all vampires. If he could develop immunity to water, he and his children would be able to go into places no other vampires could, and become immeasurably valuable to the empire.

Through slowly increasing exposure to water, consuming blood to regenerate the damage it inflicted upon their undead hides, the Rahabim eventually became able to dive deep underwater and explore places no other vampires could. They discovered artifacts and treasures, found secret waterways allowing them to move around Nosgoth unobserved. But this time spent in dark waterways beneath the earth began to sensitize them to even the weakened sunlight of Nosgoth. To walk unshrouded on the surface would weaken their powers and sap their strength, prolonged exposure began to blister the skin painfully. When the other clans began to war amongst themselves, Rahab condemned it as madness, his clan fighting only to protect their territory. When the human rebellion began, Rahab was torn between happiness and fury. On the one hand, Kain's children had ceased their abomination of a civil war. But on the other, the humans had risen up and dealt several damaging blows to their empire. Rahab ordered his Zealots into action as part of the new allied vampire legions.

The Zealots are religious fanatics, venerating Kain almost like a god, and believing with ultimate conviction that their cause is divine. To fight on land in the daylight, the Rahabim are forced to wear heavy robes and hoods to protect them from the weakening effects of the sun. They take responsibility for the morale of the vampire troops, screaming litanies of hatred and proclaiming the superiority of their race. They are more fragile than most other vampires due to their aversion to sunlight, but make up for that shortcoming in other ways. The Rahabim have developed the ability to spit a corrosive venom that is lethal to most creatures in strong enough doses. Zealots have trained themselves to spit these noxious projectiles over considerable distances, blinding or weakening humans before the vampires close in to finish them off. Rightfully, the humans fear the sight of the Zealots' dark robes and the sound of their fanatical chants.

So, in terms of an actual game class, I'm thinking the Zealots are more of a support class, with less purely-offensive abilities. Here's a rundown of what I was thinking:

- Slightly less health than other vamp classes

- Special ability is a poison spit attack that stuns opponents and causes minor damage-over-time, alternate abilities could include a non-stun, more damaging acidic spit and a blinding spit attack which does no damage, but blinds a single target temporarily.

- Standard primary ability would be a battlecry which temporarily buffs the damage of all vampires in range very slightly. Alternate abilties could include a shout that decreases weapon damage for humans in range temporarily, and the ability to heal a single friendly target with a deployable blood vessel that heals the first person to interact with it, this would need a long cooldown, and should heal slowly over time, not in a burst like feeding does.

- Secondary ability default could be some kind of righteous fury that boosts their own melee damage briefly, with alternates being an ability that provides a stun/bola escape that does NOT prevent them from attacking, representing their determination to annihilate the rebellion, and perhaps some kind of war horn that increases damage resistance for all vampires in range temporarily.

These abilties could be set up to create a pure support character, who buffs/heals his fellow vampires and/or debuffs enemies, or a more hybrid support/assault character who uses offensive abilties in combination with his buffs/healing powers. This brings a number of skills to the vampire faction not presented by any other classes currently known, including the Deceiver. What do you guys think?

The devs are never going to go with long ranged attacks for the vampires or melee for humans. It would kill the melee vs ranged feature which is one of the main selling points that seperate it from other TvT games.

Wearing thick robes isn't really fitting for a race that's trying to adapt to water. It would only keep water away from them instead of forcing them to adapt to it and they'd have a hard time swimming in one of those cloaks. Also, Rahab seems a bit too smart to blindly follow Kain as a god. If anything, he'd understand better than the others that Kain's success as emporor depends on the advisedness of his actions and not his divinity. As Kain's confidant, he probably would know that Kain was human once (although I'm pretty sure all the Lieutenants did).

EDIT: I didn't explain that too well. I shouldn't post when I'm tired.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 6th Apr 2014 at 00:28.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

this is actually really freaking cool. I like all the ideas. but yes Rahabim would have to be melee somehow. the support buffs and debuffs could work though. the hoods I like but we already have the upcoming zephonim that are a covereeld in creepy masks and scientist type robes style wise. I could picture the rahabim maybe wearing welding goggles ala Riddick to protect there eyes and give that big bulgy fish eyed look a bit to foreshadow their change. Perhaps clothing wise kind of like the human scout class only darker blue leathers with not hoods but bandanas. something tight but light to keep them agile. picture road warrior mad max stuff. only aquatic themed.

The poison thing could work, just probably not as a spitting attack. I can't think of a way to work that in which wouldn't just be like Choking Haze or Air Strike again, which already sort of blur the line with ranged melee.

Instead, I think maybe an ability that renders the Rahabim's melee attacks poisonous for a short duration, creating a damage-over-time effect. This could be swapped out for something which has a status effect instead of damage, like slowing movement or attack speed.

Other abilities don't necessarily have to involve the water resistance, but I was thinking about it and there might be ways to bring it in which don't involve them actually going into water. Maybe they can make use of certain substances or magics which would be harmful to other vampires due to being heavily water based.

Maybe an ability in which they coat themselves in something that makes them temporarily immune or resistant to fire or poison effects from the Flame Wall/Flamethrower/Toxic Mist/Poison Bola abilities. Sort of like wetting your clothes before running into a burning building. Alternatively, this could maybe be swapped out for something to temporarily make use of human healing methods in terms of the Healing Mist or the Supply Stations.

Original SR1 Rahabim concept art ...

That's 700 years later. They shouldn't be that devolved yet.

Originally Posted by Gryregaest
    Maybe an ability in which they coat themselves in something that makes them temporarily immune or resistant to fire or poison effects from the Flame Wall/Flamethrower/Toxic Mist/Poison Bola abilities. Sort of like wetting your clothes before running into a burning building. Alternatively, this could maybe be swapped out for something to temporarily make use of human healing methods in terms of the Healing Mist or the Supply Stations.
    I mentioned an ability in the beta forums called purge ailment that could clear away fire and poison clouds and things like that.

Rahabim Ideas ...

Well, one thread is dedicated for Melchiah's sons, why not also start for Rahab?

I like the one suggested by the user Persiphas:

"The Rahabim could use abilities like spitting a sticky slime in mid-range to slow down escaping humans or vomiting acid on close-range targets. Since they are supposed to be somewhat like a shark (if I remember correctly) there could also be an ability which lets them smell blood (for example an ability that marks enemies for the Rahabim if they are below 50% life and if the Rahabim is close to a low-life enemy his movement speed is slightly improved...)"
    Although the blood sense is a bit OP (IMO), it's as close as possible to a suitable Rahabim skillset. After all, they are amphibious vampires, and any water-related (or shark-related) attacks are a MAJOR possibility.

How about razor fins (sounds corny, I know, but that would emphasize their melee capabilities).

Feel free to share, and comment to this thread. Who knows? Maybe our brainstorming sessions might take notice by the developers

Originally Posted by Keitaro767
    Well, one thread is dedicated for Melchiah's sons, why not also start for Rahab?
    Absolutely.

Although the blood sense is a bit OP (IMO), it's as close as possible to a suitable Rahabim skillset. After all, they are amphibious vampires, and any water-related (or shark-related) attacks are a MAJOR possibility.
    I’m not too convinced by the vomiting acid and the blood sense as it is described there is probably excessively powerful. The blood sense could be envisioned differently though, so that its power is limited. The acid could likewise be re-envisioned: the Rahabim were special forces and there’s no reason they couldn’t employ poisons. They need not even produce them within their own bodies.

How about razor fins (sounds corny, I know, but that would emphasize their melee capabilities).
    I’m not keen on this one, as I think the claws suffice, but we do need something relating to their evolution. I like the idea of being able to drown, or partially drown your opponents. Failing that, they could even choke opponents. Perhaps swimming, or limited exposure to wading in water could be considered.

This actually isn't the first thread dedicated to the Rahabim, there's at least one already:

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=8489

It may have some other ideas you might like in it. I like the ideas you've already mentioned, as well as some of the ones mentioned in my link above, and I think the Rahabim have quite a bit of potential. I would really like to see the Rahabim be the next vampire class to come out, but all of the current evidence points to the Melchahim instead, but as long as the Rahabim come out eventually, then I'm happy. They're mentioned as special forces by Daniel Cabuco, which seems like it may be a little difficult to incorporate. Hit and run tactics could be tough since the Rahabim ended up so slow in Soul Reaver, but the acid ideas could be quite fun to use in the game.
    Last edited by Gugulug5000; 30th Apr 2014 at 17:37.

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    That's 700 years later. They shouldn't be that devolved yet.
    That's true, but if Rahabim appear in game I think the original artwork would serve as an excellent inspiration.

Except the one Gugulug5000 linked to has two pages whereas the one you linked to just has the one.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Gugulug5000
    This actually isn't the first thread dedicated to the Rahabim, there's at least one already:

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...hlight=rahabim

It may have some other ideas you might like in it. I like the ideas you've already mentioned, as well as some of the ones mentioned in my link above, and I think the Rahabim have quite a bit of potential. I would really like to see the Rahabim be the next vampire class to come out, but all of the current evidence points to the Melchahim instead, but as long as the Rahabim come out eventually, then I'm happy. They're mentioned as special forces by Daniel Cabuco, which seems like it may be a little difficult to incorporate. Hit and run tactics could be tough since the Rahabim ended up so slow in Soul Reaver, but the acid ideas could be quite fun to use in the game.
    Originally Posted by PencileyePirate
    There's also this one, which has more discussion.
    I don’t think they would have to be that slow on land just yet. An idea I have seen alluded to on one of the other threads is sunlight protection (think sombrero for comedy mod). This made me think about the artisan nature of the Rahabim. Since they are master of creating things, perhaps some of their focus should be on weapons, poison, shields and other objects they can use in battle.

Thanks for the links. Is there a moderator who can merge these? I’m getting confused with regards to which one I am reading. Or are the threads too extensive to merge?

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    Wearing thick robes isn't really fitting for a race that's trying to adapt to water. It would only keep water away from them instead of forcing them to adapt to it and they'd have a hard time swimming in one of those cloaks. Also, Rahab seems a bit too smart to blindly follow Kain as a god. If anything, he'd understand better than the others that Kain's success as emporor depends on the advisedness of his actions and not his divinity. As Kain's confidant, he probably would know that Kain was human once (although I'm pretty sure all the Lieutenants did).
    Wearing thick robes would only be necessary in the daytime and on land. Anything underground or at night would allow them to uncover. Could make for interesting model variations… or it could annoy the developers by consuming excessive time… I don’t know.

While the artisan Rahabim were indeed smart, they were devout. These traits are not always separate. Think back to Rahab’s admonishment of Raziel: “You would do well to mind your blasphemous tongue!”.

Originally Posted by ;94377
    While Rahab's elder brothers retain a greater portion of Kain's spiritual potency, apart from his favored son Raziel, there is none held closer in Kain's confidence than Rahab himself. Fully informed of Kain's destiny as the savior of Nosgoth, and the dark forces who threaten to subvert their master's course, Rahab and his clan live solely to enact the will of their Master and see his vision for Nosgoth realized, revering Kain to the point of deification.
    However, I don't think Kain would have given away this much information to any of his lieutenants. Though he did divulge information regarding Rahab's death to him.

But, shouldn't we focus on a bigger picture here? Remember guys, that not all stages have a water source, so drowning might not be a viable choice. I think the developers are focusing on over-specializing the vampires. The Summoners of Melchiah now focuses on necromancy and magic, so we should over-specialize the sons/daughters or Rahab as well.

So far, the specializations are:
    Deceivers - Recon
    Reavers - Assault
    Tyrants - Tank
    Sentinels - Surveillance and Air Strike
    Summoners - Demolitions

Sorry for the terms used, but every time I play as a vampire, I see them in a militaristic manner (kinda reminds me of Operation: Raccoon City) LOL.

I saw this post:

Originally posted by Ruevergne
    I’m not too convinced by the vomiting acid and the blood sense as it is described there is probably excessively powerful. The blood sense could be envisioned differently though, so that its power is limited. The acid could likewise be re-envisioned: the Rahabim were special forces and there’s no reason they couldn’t employ poisons. They need not even produce them within their own bodies.
    I read this one thoroughly, and I agree. Maybe acid is overrated, but so are poisons. And as I stated before, the blood sense is really OP (like Bloodseeker OP).

Originally posted by Ruevergne
    I’m not keen on this one, as I think the claws suffice, but we do need something relating to their evolution. I like the idea of being able to drown, or partially drown your opponents. Failing that, they could even choke opponents. Perhaps swimming, or limited exposure to wading in water could be considered.
    As I have stated earlier, not all stages have a water source. One stage has a measly little fountain. So drowning? Not so much IMO.

For revisions? Any sea creature defenses will do (except squid ink... it doesn't fit in ) How about traps that allow for a free hit? Like slipping on the ground? Or getting stuck in place? I can't really think of any new ideas right now, cause I'm stuck on my school paperwork, but anyways, I do not intend to insult anyone, and if I do, I am sorry (I'm so, like, defensive? ).

Final note? I would want the representative of clan Rahabim to be female as well, just to even out and keep up with the human populace.

Any sea creature defenses will do (except squid ink... it doesn't fit in ) How about traps that allow for a free hit? Like slipping on the ground? Or getting stuck in place?
    Sticky hagfish slime.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb2EOP3ohnE

Or how about this:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/science...4-glow-04.html

Edit: Found a better one. Not a shrimp this time:
    http://animals.io9.com/what-kind-of-...ing-1631483648
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 6th Dec 2014 at 10:00.

Boosting other vamps doesn't fit in too well with the lore (they all seem a bit "in it for themselves"), but would something that helps other team-mates be useful? (especially with how everyone complains about how underpowered vamps are at high level play). Maybe it could be some kind of "schooling" based ability like certain types of fishies. Sounds hellishly complex though. Maybe they are quite "team player" ish for vamps, but some of the boosts/buffs they give mean you actually end up stealing kills. I can imagine the angered team chat...

Originally Posted by The_Hylden
    I can see the flap of flesh they have on the sides of their head evoking the cobra thing a bit, sure. Their face, in general, still says shark to me, as does the pattern of color of their bodies.

I believe the flap of flesh is probably trying to indicate a fin-like structure in the water, since their arms and legs are not fins yet. Kind of like a manta ray. Perhaps the hood also shields them from the light as best it can. Direct sunlight still scorches them, no matter what, but this perhaps helps with the diffused light in the water.
    I like the general idea of this too.
    Last edited by Sluagh; 6th Dec 2014 at 15:01.
    signature image

The rahabim character should be female and also her dialogue should include not only a " For the rahabim!!!" like the other clans but also it should include a " For Kain!!!" to show the loyalty to Kain which is a Rahab characteristic

FOR NEMOOOO!!!!

Don't forget that one.
    signature image

I think that some ideas here are too focus on the fully devolved Rahabim from SR1. Things like water immunity and acid spit for example, wouldn't be the case for Nosgoth...
    At least the way i see it, they haven't the time to be fully immune to water, or to have water/acid spit. To me its the same as Turelim's TK...they still havent (d)evolved to that point yet. Most vamps are still fledgelings, hence their human-ish appearance (5 fingers, etc).

Would be interesting if the evolved Rahabim skin would have water immunity though, while fledglings only have water resistance...

OBS: someone mentioned fountains in the maps, but if i recall correctly they are blood fountains...no water in them (gonna check next time i play)

I'd actually like it if they utilized some form of Kain's Mist Form, as a precursor to developing their immunity to water.

I really like the proposed background story of the Zealots. It's completely fleshed out, but IMO, it gives away too many details on how they should be played.

Originally posted by Plonker2236

Ever has Rahab been the most devoted of Kain's six vampire lieutenants, and his clan are no different, kept tightly under control by Rahab. The fourth-born lieutenant has instilled in his clan unshakeable faith in the superiority of the vampiric race, and their divine right to rule over Nosgoth and its peoples, with Kain as their emperor. Rahab is one of the weaker lieutenants, and his children are likewise less gifted with Kain's divinity. Rahab, obsessed with pleasing his emperor, was driven to improve himself and his clan to match his older brethren. Taking inspiration from Zephon, they began to experiment on themselves, but they sought not a way to accelerate their evolution. Instead, Rahab sought to harden them against the weaknesses inherent in all vampires. If he could develop immunity to water, he and his children would be able to go into places no other vampires could, and become immeasurably valuable to the empire.

Through slowly increasing exposure to water, consuming blood to regenerate the damage it inflicted upon their undead hides, the Rahabim eventually became able to dive deep underwater and explore places no other vampires could. They discovered artifacts and treasures, found secret waterways allowing them to move around Nosgoth unobserved. But this time spent in dark waterways beneath the earth began to sensitize them to even the weakened sunlight of Nosgoth. To walk unshrouded on the surface would weaken their powers and sap their strength, prolonged exposure began to blister the skin painfully. When the other clans began to war amongst themselves, Rahab condemned it as madness, his clan fighting only to protect their territory. When the human rebellion began, Rahab was torn between happiness and fury. On the one hand, Kain's children had ceased their abomination of a civil war. But on the other, the humans had risen up and dealt several damaging blows to their empire. Rahab ordered his Zealots into action as part of the new allied vampire legions.

The Zealots are religious fanatics, venerating Kain almost like a god, and believing with ultimate conviction that their cause is divine. To fight on land in the daylight, the Rahabim are forced to wear heavy robes and hoods to protect them from the weakening effects of the sun. They take responsibility for the morale of the vampire troops, screaming litanies of hatred and proclaiming the superiority of their race. They are more fragile than most other vampires due to their aversion to sunlight, but make up for that shortcoming in other ways. The Rahabim have developed the ability to spit a corrosive venom that is lethal to most creatures in strong enough doses. Zealots have trained themselves to spit these noxious projectiles over considerable distances, blinding or weakening humans before the vampires close in to finish them off. Rightfully, the humans fear the sight of the Zealots' dark robes and the sound of their fanatical chants.
    But, as stated by someone here, heavy robes aren't seem fitting for them -- for fledglings anyway. I think the robes will be more suitable for the evolved Rahabim skin. How about we call them Sirens?

I'd like a long, hooded, highwayman's coat as opposed to robes; but only for the evolved skin. The fledgling have around as much time to be out in the open without the need for coverings as Rahab did; and (assuming all lieutenants were raised in 1 sitting) he had at least a 1000 years of being able to stand exposed to the sun, with the same degree of covering as the other lieutenants (as seen in the Soul Reaver Intro).

Heavy robes would only restrict their movement and make them sink in the water. Especially if they were only just adapting to it. It's also out of character for them to hide from a weakness rather than adapt to it. Their strengths should be their defining attributes, not their weaknesses. Sure they might not have fully adapted to water yet, but adaption is something they should be fully committed to, even it it means putting up with the odd singe/splash.

Personally, I think as Rahab as the most intellectual of the Lieutenants. He mentioned blasphemy only once, but said a lot more of overcoming limitations and gave good reasons for his loyalty to Kain besides religious dogma. All the Lieutenants believed themselves and Kain to be the Dark Gods.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 16th Dec 2014 at 17:36.

Page 3 of 23 First First 123456713 ... Last