Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: How a prequel can work: My revelation (EVERYBODY READ)

How a prequel can work: My revelation (EVERYBODY READ)

How a prequel can work: My revelation (EVERYBODY READ)

I just had an idea that completely BLEW MY MIND.

A prequel can work. And it can be amazing.

What it needs is a twist. An amazing twist that reveals that Deus Ex and Invisible War were completely predicted and planned by some puppet-master type character. A huge back story that brings about the origin of Page, Simons, Everett, Dowd, the augmentation project, and the planning and the release of the Gray Death.

The protagonist would be second in command to this puppet master, and the missions will be this character putting together the pieces of his plans, and around the middle of the game, he would release the Gray Death (through a computer control like destroying the Hong Kong UC in DX1 or something). He would have a love life, which would lead to the explosive ending that both the played character and his lover would be killed by the puppet master's rogue assistant, Bob Page. The puppet master would go into hiding, after it is revealed that the player character is the father of the Dentons.

This all came to me in 0.2 seconds. I have to lie down.

There are multiple ways a prequel could work. All of them thought up by Eidos Montreal. If I'm brutally honest, I don't think that's a prequel idea that would work. Though it has a narrative structure, it's not a very good one at that, and it's mostly borrowed from Ghost in the Shell.

What it needs is a twist. An amazing twist that reveals that Deus Ex and Invisible War were completely predicted and planned by some puppet-master type character
    ...or organisation. I think this is one of many possible ways to continue it, yes. As for the rest of your post... I don't think this would be as brilliant as it seems to you, sorry... -.-

I think this was a telekinetic communication to me from Jesus Spector himself.

I purposely fine tuned my brain frequencies and relocated to pick up on Jesus Spector's transmissions first!
    Usurper!

/me shakes fist!!

That would be cool if they did manage to make a twist in a prequel that nobody could foresee.
    Although now I've read this topic, there will be no secrets for me.

Instead of making a prequel they should just make a game on the same topic and with a very deep and very detailed story that hits home on a very many level. For the mystery man it can be Pres. Bush.............................

IF DX3 is a prequel; you will be playing as Paul Denton. There is no question about that. DX1 opens with JC's first ever mission.

Paul is the only other nano-augmented agent ever at that point (Walton Simons doesn't count) - and has already been on tons of missions - which we'll probably be playing in DX3.

Besides which, doing what you suggested would *totally* remove all credibility from the GREAT characters from the first game that were all playing an insane power game with one another.

Lucius DeBeers, leading to Morgan Everett, to Page and MJ12, to the Gray Death, President Mead, and UNATCO, to JC Denton.

They were all geniuses, and all entangled in a terrible web of shadowy deception and horrible acts. It was brilliant.

I do NOT want to find out that there was some 'magical retard' who was smarter and better than all of them.

Rule no 1 of making a sequel/prequel: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER ruin the characters already established!!!!!!!!

*thread resurrection ray GO*

Originally Posted by minus0ne
    All of them thought up by Eidos Montreal.
    How might you know this?

Originally Posted by minus0ne
    Ghost in the Shell.
    I've never have any involvement in any way with anime/manga/whatever and I am proud of it.

Also, upon reflection, I don't think this will work either.

Originally Posted by Boiny Bunny
    IF DX3 is a prequel; you will be playing as Paul Denton. There is no question about that. DX1 opens with JC's first ever mission.

Paul is the only other nano-augmented agent ever at that point (Walton Simons doesn't count) - and has already been on tons of missions - which we'll probably be playing in DX3.
    This is nothing more than your guess. Is there any problem with playing a mech-augmented protagonist? Your comments about Paul are already covered in this post. Moreover, Deus Ex is supposed to be something more than just a few missions to do.

Originally Posted by GlobalNode
    I just had an idea that completely BLEW MY MIND.
    What it needs is a twist. An amazing twist that reveals that Deus Ex and Invisible War were completely predicted and planned by some puppet-master type character.
    You know what? I think it might work. With one exception - the protagonist shouldn't know everything about the conspiracy - he should rather discover it and try to influence. He might even become the puppetmaster himself and set up a stage for what we saw in DX and DXIW. Or not. Whatever he chooses.

Originally Posted by GlobalNode
    He would have a love life, which would lead to the explosive ending that both the played character and his lover
    Deus Sex?

Deus ex 3 will be the story of the first greasel and his daring escape from the MJ12 labs. He will become 'infected' by nanotechnology and go on to found the Omar in Russia.

Believe me, I got it from the X-files being that came out of a flaming stealth banana just outside Area-51. He said I was "the Chosen One" and even gave a pen to write it all down. Awfully kind of him.

(credits to Tool)

Originally Posted by mad_red
    Deus ex 3 will be the story of the first greasel and his daring escape from the MJ12 labs. He will become 'infected' by nanotechnology and go on to found the Omar in Russia.

Believe me, I got it from the X-files being that came out of a flaming stealth banana just outside Area-51. He said I was "the Chosen One" and even gave a pen to write it all down. Awfully kind of him.

(credits to Tool)
    Yeah,that story almost had me...but you forgot one little detail...GREASELS CAN'T DRINK VODKA,AND EVERY RUSSIAN LIVES ON IT!
    maybe next time you won't be so quick to put out false stories!

(the funny part is, for some reason I really do have a feeling that somehow russia is going to be involved in the next game,so maybe...just maybe...the little greasel that could...can.)

and to all you denton worshipers...if I see a denton as the main character of deus ex 3...I am going to give everyone the gray death AND aids...GRAIDS!

LOL, love that reply about the vodka detail... so funny.

Nice idea actually. And I know this is kinda a very obvious complaint, but surely if you've already thought of that then it's just going to be annoying if that's actually the case? xD
    That's actually what I think about a lot of the stuff people suggest here - I don't want to already know half of the concepts and ideas behind a game because its fans already decided it, I hope the developers just come up with stuff by themselves and make their own (hopefully good) judgements on what to keep, what not to keep, and what to add for the next installment.

But that of course, would render this entire forum practically useless. Generally I'm guessing this forum is only just being used just to see just how popular DX3 would be upon its release, and what kind of reception would be gained from it. I doubt they look here for ideas at all.
    Its like "market research" I guess.

Originally Posted by Absentia
    Nice idea actually. And I know this is kinda a very obvious complaint, but surely if you've already thought of that then it's just going to be annoying if that's actually the case? xD
    Absentia, you are absolutely right. That's exactly how I feel because it ruins the surprise and the disbelief, but it doesn't matter to me because...

Do you ever notice how some people are completely disgusted by a cheesy action movie, yet thoroughly enjoying the next or even the same cheesy flick another time? (I had that with Terminator 2) Or you finally watch that chick-flick and to your supreme irkedness you find it's actually OK? (NEVER had that ) Some people criticize movies based on books, others just enjoy it.

I think it's all about taking things for what they are, switching of your thoughts and judgements and just relaxing into the moment. If a game or movie really is crap, then you'll just walk away in disgust. But if it's good, you're not gonna mind if it's the nth time you play, whether you know the end, whether you're a guy or girl, etc. There might be a little voice somewhere in the back of your head, but it won't be loud enough to keep you from getting high and gently floating above your chair!

Originally Posted by Absentia

But that of course, would render this entire forum practically useless. Generally I'm guessing this forum is only just being used just to see just how popular DX3 would be upon its release, and what kind of reception would be gained from it. I doubt they look here for ideas at all.
    Its like "market research" I guess.
    WTF! You mean we are just being used like a group of sad, abused laboratory monkeys!
    Let us rise to the challenge, oh tribe. *eats banana*

LOL. Yeah, half agree that some ideas put forward could be considered as "spoilers" but I don't think it is going to make much difference really.
    I guess ideas can only be prologues - you still have the whole story to experience and nobody can absolutely predict what the adventure will be and how it will end.

Despite the game's obvious shortcomings for PC users, it was good to see some familiar faces in IW. It would be good, in my opinion, to see some dx1 characters in dx3. Does anyone else miss the nasal tones of Alex Jacobson?

If we're talking about the prequel and since Alex appears to be close to JC's age(23 in DX 1), I'd say not. Unless it took place a few years before, in which case Alex might be an intern or something

Why does everyone think this will be a prequil, I hate the idea of a prequil. I guess it would be good to see and hear old characters but... it just wouldn't be the same on todays graphics... we would have to go back to the old engine...

Not everyone thinks DX3 will be a prequel.
    This is just the opinion of the thread creator in order to promote a discussion about it.

Originally Posted by MissDenton
    Not everyone thinks DX3 will be a prequel.
    This is just the opinion of the thread creator in order to promote a discussion about it.
    true but meh, I just I dunno I would really hate a prequel.

Why would we have to go back to the old engine?

Pure nostalgic value?

It would be interesting to see dx1 with the IW graphics engine. There is a similar project underway currently, to update the original half life using the source engine. A previous attempt was made but lacked impact as many textures remained the same, hence the complete overhaul. See

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Perhaps at some point in the future the same thing will be done with dx1, however unlikely it may seem. The characters included in IW translated well from dx1 and the Unreal engine in aesthetics at least. This is only my opinion though.

Originally Posted by jamesthefishy
    Why does everyone think this will be a prequil, I hate the idea of a prequil. I guess it would be good to see and hear old characters but... it just wouldn't be the same on todays graphics... we would have to go back to the old engine...
    I do not think it will be a "prequil", nor a prequel.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last