Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread: Sequel: What could be the situation?

Sequel: What could be the situation?

Sequel: What could be the situation?

We know of four possible endings of Deus Ex:IW... which one do you think could or should be the starting point for a possible sequel? (I personally do not like the idea of a prequel)

Since the JC Denton path of choice seemed to me the most rationale, although nighmarish, option, I believe most players went for this ending. Accordingly, it should be the starting point.

But how can you do a game with a this absolute ending? Helios terminated individualism, although this was not meant to be according to JCs description in the first dialogue after awakening! JC envisioned a society, not a collective. The needs of each individual tended to by a powerful AI construct. Not a AI-construct which absorbs every conciousness into a collective. But exactly this did happen in the end. This was unintened.

It seems as the AI-Entity Helios tricked humanity to giving up their soul.

This could be a good starting point. What is a soul? How can humanity escape the forded-upon collective? Can we revive Alex or JC who are trapped as every other human beeing in the collective? Perhaps the WTO survived on their space platform "Ophelia" and build new agents who are immune to the nanites distributed via the Helios collective.

What do you think about this idea?

I'd choose the WTO ending. Why follow the once-cool-but-not-anymore Denton's with their stupid plans?

I say go back to the origianal. Have the game set between the first and IW, and use one of the endings from the original. make the game a prequal, but to IW instead of DX. focus on the years between the two

I choose the Omar ending.
    Screw humans and their garbage goals.
    I think the reason why they are making a prequel is there really isn't much that can be done after DX:IW unless the Dark Age or Illuminati endings happened instead, which leads to just more of humanity and it's garbage goals.

Some games permit different starting positions, according on how the prequels ended. Deus Ex 3 could do the same thing and allow for different starting positions, which would lead into one "mainstream" adventure, and branch into another set of different endings again. The game is about total freedom of decision for the player, why not apply this consequently also for the beginning of a Sequel in treu Deus Ex Spirit!?

--------

1. Renegade Ending: Humanity bombed into nonexistence, lonely Cyborgs roam the deserts. That seems to be a really far-out future. Plenty of things can happen until then, to prevent this sort of finality...

2. Fanatics Ending: This would be an interim, perhaps a theistic tyranny which needs to be ended. Is there a new messiah, or do you choose to send this whole religion-thing to hell?

3. Illuminati Ending: Who is Ophelia... she is out there...

4. Evolution Ending: Helios tricked JC into a collective, although he imagined a society. Humantiy must be freed of the collective they have been involuntarily trapped in. Agents from Ophelia are ready to act...

--------

Main actors would be Helios, the Illuminati who serve or are being served by Ophelia, Fanatics and Renegades who rule and defend different enclaves from that totalistic "machina" future. The player decides on who is right, can switch factions and in the end, has to decide upon one to three endings which are neither of those factions goals.

I agree though, that the setting should not be to post-apocalyptic. The society should be still intact an play a role with major cities still intact and important. Be it collective-cyborgian, religious-fanatic, renegade-anarchic, or a secretive police-state, this would be but the regime of different enclaves.

Look at the teaser: You see a foetus with implants. When do you think this could be the case? Right, in a sequel! Nanotech has advanced so far that it is already implanted in a foetus, and it grows...

The sequel could be about the loss of freedom because of a total net imbedding. What is a soul when machines have become a human´s tools of perception?

Damn, I think Falkenherz is on to something.
    The only reason many of us thought this was a prequel was because of the flashing images.
    That fetus is pretty damn advanced looking.
    The images only start flashing when the camera zooms into it's brain stem. Almost as though the fetus is being given all the information it needs about human history before it is even born.

hmmmmmm!

Read the other topics, this has all been discussed already.

Originally Posted by jd10013
    I say go back to the origianal. Have the game set between the first and IW, and use one of the endings from the original. make the game a prequal, but to IW instead of DX. focus on the years between the two
    Hmm, you mean the Last map, where you play as JC and select ending betean Tong, Helios and Ilumanati to be a sort of "Tutorial" and after that the "real" DX3 is made, where you start as main DX3 character (not exacly JC) ? That could work IMO.

Or maybe DX3 will ba a game of Paul not JC, or by some Shilluette/Ilumanati member.

I like the paul idea... kinda like the DX mod: Zodiac by steve Tack.

OMAR
    OMAR
    OMAR

I'd go with Omar, but if they're doing a sequel (which they better), they will do what they did with IW (one of the good things) and merge the endings of the last game.

Originally Posted by RedFeather1975
    I choose the Omar ending.
    Screw humans and their garbage goals.
    I think the reason why they are making a prequel is there really isn't much that can be done after DX:IW unless the Dark Age or Illuminati endings happened instead, which leads to just more of humanity and it's garbage goals.
    I like the way you think.

Maybe they are going to mix the endings like in DX1 to IW:

- The Dentons made New York (with Liberty Island as headquarters) their new segregated nation of free cyber-zombies.
    - The Illuminati keep more or less secretly controlling the rest of the world
    - The Templars are off searching the holy grail or something
    - The Omar thought "screw you guys" and colonized Mars

I never thought of them as cyber zombies djinni33!
    Everyone just gained knowledge of everyone else's feelings and needs. They just learned to understand each other better. Then Helios took all that information and used it to adjust the world's economy and policies according to what the population's consensus was.
    In the end it was still poo to me. Didn't change what humans could do, just made them get along better and bring about equality.
    Whoop-dee-doo!
    Dumb humans! I hate them. They are ugly and dumb! And ugly! lol

But zombies are peaceful too among each other... as long there is enough brains around Of course you're right - didn't really know why I used the word 'zombie'. The end cynematic was just pretty scary with all them synchronically gathering there.

I actually think the Denton ending had style... humans finally created their own god like suggested in DX 1.
    Sure it's not a 'perfect ending' but reality knows no happy ends either. That's why I liked that all the IW endings were sort of screwed up

Sorry to burst your bubble but if you don't like the idea of a sequel you might not like Deus Ex 3. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a prequel.

WE NEED AN OPHELIA EXPLANATION.

I've been waiting to find out what Ophelia is since the day IW came out.

Don't take any of this as fact. It's far from it.
    Rumour was on the UbiSoft forums that Ubi might give some aid to Eidos for DX3, as they are both in Montreal.
    Assassin's Creed has so much historical and physics/mathematics references it's very interesting what ideas they must have brewing.
    Maybe they will share some of those ideas with Eidos. Or perhaps the rumour was simply aiding with game production resources.

Originally Posted by GlobalNode
    WE NEED AN OPHELIA EXPLANATION.

I've been waiting to find out what Ophelia is since the day IW came out.
    its a space station

That's too random. It's an idiotic thing to do, throw in a space station at the very end.

Originally Posted by GlobalNode
    That's too random. It's an idiotic thing to do, throw in a space station at the very end.
    one of the many reasons a lot of people were disappointed in IW. a lot of idiotic stuff.

The only great thing to come out of IW were the omar.

Originally Posted by O.m.a.r
    The only great thing to come out of IW were the omar.
    I wouldn't call them great, more of a wasted opportunity. The only thing they really did in the game was sell you some stuff. another case of Harvey not living up to expectations or promises. They could have done so much with them, and everybody thought they would. But they did have the best final cut scene

Their role as sellers was a pain in the butt for them I'm sure. But it was necessary as they need resources for their goals. They needed access to newly developed technology and lots of money.
    They also needed a way to find people with a discreet identity, in order to make them into Omar someday, which is why they did their dealings in the underground.
    My memory is fuzzy but I believe they even make an offer to Alex about becoming an Omar.
    The Omar in IW are very quietly preparing for their time.

But they don't do anything but sell you some stuff. Like I said, a wasted opportunity. Harvey smith took a very cool idea, and basically did nothing with it. As bits and pieces about the game were leaking out during development, the Omar were one of the things everybody was looking forward to. but to everyones disappointment, they turned out to be little more than merchants.

the concept of the Omar was great. the implementation sucked.

I honestly don't know what the Omar should have been done like then.
    It seems since I had no expectations, I thought the Omar were just fine for what it was they were doing. I don't remember anyone in the game suspecting the Omar of anything more than a commercially driven organization even right up to the end of humanity in the Omar ending.
    Which was really impressive. They were the sleeping giant.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last