Thread: What were the possible inspirations of Deus Ex 1?

What were the possible inspirations of Deus Ex 1?

Smile What were the possible inspirations of Deus Ex 1?

I was thinking that maybe the creator/ or a lot of people in the dev. team probably liked the Xfiles a lot, i mean that is the whole reason i'm such a fan of Deus Ex, it had the same tone, kind of a gritty "Believe no one" and "The truth is out there" feeling :P Yes quotes from the show.. Sue me. XD I know Warren Spector used to be a big movie fan but, i wouldn't be sure if he liked the X files or even saw the show.

The game seemed to be related to Illuminati conspiracy theory documentaries more than to the X-Files. Actually, there was nothing in the game that would indicate paranormal phenomena.

The X Files are not exactly what comes to mind about Deus Ex . Actually there are a LOT of inspirations for Deus Ex (and I'm sure someone will be a long shortly with a bullet-list to enlighten you). Books like Neuromancer, 1984, The Man Who Was Thursday (these books are also where a lot of the deeper things in DX come from) serve as the groundwork. But they also got a lot of the inspiration from Shirow's Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed manga and animes and other animes such as Akira. Movies like Blade Runner (adapted from P.K. ), Brazil, Metropolis (1926! Pretty much the earliest 'cyberpunk' film, it's still relevant today) and of course 2001:A.S.O.

In terms of games it's primarily built upon System Shock but also some other earlier cyberpunk games. I guess it's possible the X-Files had some passing influence though, it's hard to imagine none of the devs has ever seen an episode, but I'm still curious what similarity you see between the two

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by minus0ne
    The X Files are not exactly what comes to mind about Deus Ex
    Spector did make early proposals for a game named Troubleshooter and then simply "Shooter" (lol) which later evolved into Deus Ex.
    This is what he had:
    Set in a world very much like our own (if the conspiracy buffs are right), Shooter combines the best of The Manchurian Candidate, Robocop and Colossus: The Forbin Project in a world inspired by The X-Files and Men in Black.

Originally Posted by Xcom
    Spector did make early proposals for a game named Troubleshooter and then simply "Shooter" (lol) which later evolved into Deus Ex.
    This is what he had:
    That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing, never realised that. Seeing the finished product though, I'd say it draws more from GitS or Blade Runner than The X-Files (or MIB, even though there are "MIB" in the game), but I guess pretty much any game starts out worlds apart from what it is when it's finished.

Thank god they didn't name it "Shooter", I'm afraid anything named as such (even DX) would've died a slow death in the budget bins.

Big Grin

Originally Posted by minus0ne
    The X Files are not exactly what comes to mind about Deus Ex . Actually there are a LOT of inspirations for Deus Ex (and I'm sure someone will be a long shortly with a bullet-list to enlighten you). Books like Neuromancer, 1984, The Man Who Was Thursday (these books are also where a lot of the deeper things in DX come from) serve as the groundwork. But they also got a lot of the inspiration from Shirow's Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed manga and animes and other animes such as Akira. Movies like Blade Runner (adapted from P.K. ), Brazil, Metropolis (1926! Pretty much the earliest 'cyberpunk' film, it's still relevant today) and of course 2001:A.S.O.

In terms of games it's primarily built upon System Shock but also some other earlier cyberpunk games. I guess it's possible the X-Files had some passing influence though, it's hard to imagine none of the devs has ever seen an episode, but I'm still curious what similarity you see between the two
    Might I add that they also got some inspirations for Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age". They took some cool stuff from there such as:
    - "the skul[l]" gun: Basically a weapon lodged in your brain (forhead) and with certain thoughts it activates a energy beamed attack. Remember in that one email where Gunther asks Mandarely about installing one into him.
    - The rocket launcher scrambler biomod where it sends out airborne nanites that interfere with the rockets guidance, I don't remember anything like this in particular, but these sort airborne nanite where common throught the book.
    - The strength & melee strength also was conisdered one.
    - This one shocked me the most. If you remember Hong Kong, when you go inside the 'Fist of the luminous path' HQ (where tracer tong resided) , well if you read one of the books that a gang member was reading it basically said their philosophy and it was something like 'we will raise the celestial kingdom in China and drive out the gweilos' or something like that, AND in the 'The Diamond Age', the story line during the end

Originally Posted by Xcom
    This is what he had:
    Thanks a mil for posting this. Deus Ex and the X files have a lot more in common than most people think but mostly its the 'feel' of it. Oh and off topic.. new Xfiles movies' coming out this year!!!!! With original main actors!

From: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=27580

1: Escape From New York -- The cult classic by John Carpenter seems to have inspired the gritty, decaying image of a future New York -- complete with its own version of the "mole people". Even J.C.'s gravelly vocal style is reminiscent of Snake Pliskin.

2: Escape from L.A. -- an inferior sequel, but the conclusion (Pliskin crashing global electronics) seems to have inspired that endgame option in Deus Ex.

3. Tai-Pan by James Clavell -- a fantastic novel, every bit as good as Shogun. In Tai-Pan, there is the prominent Asian character in Hong Kong named Gorden Chen, a Triad leader who operates in Wan Chai. I thought it intriguing that there is a GORDON Quick and a Max CHEN in WANCHAI, both of which are prominent Triads in Hong Kong.

4. The Matrix -- this has already been mentioned, I'm sure. There are definitely Matrix-esque stylistic elements.

5. They Live -- yet another John Carpenter movie (I'd bet cash that one of the developers of Deus Ex is a Carpenter fan). The homeless people's village of cardboard shacks reminds one of the Battery Park sequences, while the riot cops are forerunners of Deus Ex's MJ 12 troops. There is also the conspiracy-ridden nature of They Live -- humanity suffering under the malevolent intrigues of a secret society (in They Live, it was aliens.) Finally (and I know this might be a real stretch) but sunglasses, so important to Denton, were pivotal to the characters of that movie -- for different reasons.

6. Johnny Pneumonic -- Far from a great film, but there were certain elements which seem to have driven some concepts of Deus Ex. There was a technological virus, a resistance movement against the establishment, and a cyber-wired main character. There was even a Triad-like enemy. The whole dark-science-fiction conspiracy is certainly comparable.

About Escape from NY - the most obvious reference would be the destruction of the Statue of Liberty

Johnny "Pneumonic" = ROFL

The Ocean Lab was a homage to System Shock, while the Cathedral was a homage to Thief. Also, one of the reasons Spector started working on DX was frustration with Thief's narrow focus (though he did like the game).

I can also see one possible inspiration for DX3 already: the movie Pi - with all the references to the golden ratio, phi and Da Vinci, all of which were prominent in the movie. The rapid flashing image sequence also reminds of Darren Arronofsky's trademark hip-hop montage.