Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Gamasutra's Montreal Studio Tour

Gamasutra's Montreal Studio Tour

Arrow Gamasutra's Montreal Studio Tour

Old news probably, but in case you haven't seen it, it has some interesting bits.

On the other side of the offices from the quality assurance team, we found the Deus Ex 3 team hard at work in the development area -- with one (large) wall covered entirely in design notes and another, of similar size, covered in concept art in a range of styles. Particularly striking was a massive poster for the original Deus Ex wrapped around a pillar -- perhaps working as inspiration for the team (interestingly, no Invisible War paraphernalia was apparent.)
    LOL!

Full Article:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...an_.php?page=1
    - signed -

Oh my god, I want that poster so much...

I've been pretty worried about Deus Ex 3 being dumbed down for consoles, but if the developers listen to DX fans like they say they do, this won't happen! Good article... it gives me a bit more hope for the game.

I like this bit...

Even without the direct input of Warren Spector, Anfossi argued that the history of the titles was hugely important to their development. "I've played the two games I don't know how many times. A crazy amount. We wanted to learn exactly what Deus Ex was so we could imbue this project with those values. We spent months on that alone."

A really interesting read. A glimmer of hope is actually on the horizon.

I like the way they've limited themselves on team numbers and the overall atmosphere of the studio. It will greatly increase development and the overall outcome of the game, and this is from someone who's had experience on it.

Thanks for the article Xcom

That white board is insane. How much writing is on that wow.. Ever heard of MS project? lol.

Its pretty cool to see how they work.

Originally Posted by mr_cyberpunk
    MS project
    Whiteboard works better.

Have you even used MS project? lol its pretty helpful but I'm positive there are some simpler and better systems out there for project management. Whiteboards aren't good because someone might have a fetish for drawing Walton Simmons blowing up text on the white board

Originally Posted by SomaMech
    I've been pretty worried about Deus Ex 3 being dumbed down for consoles, but if the developers listen to DX fans like they say they do, this won't happen! Good article... it gives me a bit more hope for the game.

I like this bit...Quote:
    Even without the direct input of Warren Spector, Anfossi argued that the history of the titles was hugely important to their development. "I've played the two games I don't know how many times. A crazy amount. We wanted to learn exactly what Deus Ex was so we could imbue this project with those values. We spent months on that alone."
    Hmm - I hope this is still as true today as it was back then
    "It looks like Adam is stalking a fat S&M enthusiast with a leaf blower. http://www.abload.de/img/6dmut.jpg" spm1138

From the article:

"...'the staff at Eidos Montreal is keenly aware of the fan base. "On our website we already have a forum, and we want feedback from the fans. We want to give them the ability to participate and communicate to us what they want, and do not want, as early as possible in the development. And that's a valuable tool for our development -- not just our PR," said D'Astous.

'Every single comment' was being read by Anfossi while he still had the time to read them. "I've been very interested to see their comments so far on what they want and don't want," he noted" (emphasis mine).

Who are they kidding?

Meanwhile, Keir (bless him, really) takes his fan-base for the upcoming Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light to play test the new game on the West Coast and offers a chance to ask a lead character designer at crystal dynamics questions about his work.

Originally Posted by TrickyVein
    From the article:

"...We want to give them the ability to participate and communicate to us what they want, and do not want, as early as possible in the development.
    Le sigh. Imagine what joy it would have been to witness some serious back and forth between this place and EM...

Makes me wonder if these kind of statements were ever truly anything beyond lip-service to the fanbase?

Meanwhile, Keir (bless him, really) takes his fan-base for the upcoming Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light to play test the new game on the West Coast and offers a chance to ask a lead character designer at crystal dynamics questions about his work.

The release of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is just around the corner. We've only recently showed stuff behind closed doors for DX:HR. My point being it's a touch early for some substantial info.

That said I've already raised the possibility of an E-M studio visit and I'm sure it'll happen. I'm also looking into the possibility of getting a Q&A done with you guys and someone from E-M, I just want to make sure we'll be able to answer enough questions to make it worthwhile.
    "......It reminds me of Beethoven..... can you hear it?"

...Anyone else notice this thread is 2 1/2 years old and was bumped seemingly for no good reason?

I think they were doing a "then and now" comparison. Seems relevant enough to me.

Originally Posted by Keir
    I'm also looking into the possibility of getting a Q&A done with you guys and someone from E-M, I just want to make sure we'll be able to answer enough questions to make it worthwhile.
    As much as I'd like to see this happen there is exactly zero percent chance that we will get an honest answer to the questions that matter. Generic Q&A questions might stand a chance of being answered but a question like "why choose HR over one of the many proposed alternatives?" will probably get an answer on the level of "the industry as a whole has grown up."
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

^^ The possibility that we might get anything is a milestone, and Keir would be the man to make it happen.

Sourpuss.

Originally Posted by Irate Iguana
    As much as I'd like to see this happen there is exactly zero percent chance that we will get an honest answer to the questions that matter. Generic Q&A questions might stand a chance of being answered but a question like "why choose HR over one of the many proposed alternatives?" will probably get an answer on the level of "the industry as a whole has grown up."
    signature image

Originally Posted by Irate Iguana

There will be stock responses to questions that have even a hit of the generic, which is totally understandable when being asked similar questions time and time again.

I guess the trick is to stimulate them a bit with new and interesting questions, and phrase them more specifically so it requires a new response. You see those cogs turning when someone is asked an unexpected or thought provoking question, and you are probably more likely to get an honest personal answer rather than an automatic, rehearsed stock response.

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    I guess the trick is to stimulate them a bit with new and interesting questions, and phrase them more specifically so it requires a new response. You see those cogs turning when someone is asked an unexpected or thought provoking question, and you are probably more likely to get an honest personal answer rather than an automatic, rehearsed stock response.
    This works in a face to face interview and only when the subject hates to use the phrase "no comment" and its variations. You rely on them being surprised to get an answer. After that you need to keep digging. If we get this opportunity there will be a thread where we can post our questions. From those questions a selection will be made and those will be presented to the devs. After a while we'll get to see the answers posted. No matter how ingenious your question is if they have a day or two to think it over they can come up with a perfectly valid stock response. Not to mention the fact that the more difficult or hostile questions will not be picked.

Although it may seem that I am against this idea I do think that we will be able to take away something from this. The trick is to keep people from posting the dumb and easily answered questions in the thread. I'd rather not see questions asked about who is writing the music score, what the system specs will be or if they are fans of the original. Those can be found in the faq or teach us nothing new about the game. Even then they can cherry pick the questions but we might be able to get some info on areas that game journalists typically don't think about.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

^^ By the time that happens, you'll be playing the game and answering those questions yourself, no?

No picture of the DX poster... Awwwww.... WHAT?!
    >:[
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix
    I think they were doing a "then and now" comparison. Seems relevant enough to me.
    Exactly, you got it right, that was exactly why I posted in the old thread

Ashpolt just hates me.
    "It looks like Adam is stalking a fat S&M enthusiast with a leaf blower. http://www.abload.de/img/6dmut.jpg" spm1138

Originally Posted by PenguinsFriend
    Ashpolt just hates me.

^^ By the time that happens, you'll be playing the game and answering those questions yourself, no?
    Buying the game and playing it to form initial opinions utterly defeats the purpose of asking the questions and expressing tastes and distastes before parting with money. No matter one's opinions from playing the game, if the player spent money, and EM got their money, those opinions matter less than the ones attempting to prevent having an issue or experiencing loss or feeling suckered.

Originally Posted by Ashpolt
    Awwww

Page 1 of 2 12 Last