Thread: Revamp?

Revamp?

Revamp?

Ok in follow up to an earlier post I made I thought why not make abit of a poll

A few years ago the 3rd best game ever, 1st and 2nd being DX and UT, had a sequel.... Half Life 2. Brand new engine etc. They also revamped Half Life 1 with the new engine making it look better then the original

My question is, shoiuld Eidos revamp DX1, supply it with for example a DX3 GOTY edition or sell it seperatly, or shouldnt they touch it?

I think it will be awesome if they do it and Id definatly buy it

I hope the dev's take some notice of this so we can have a totally new DX1 experience

Actually Deus Ex has already been revamped with all new high definition textures.
    http://hdtp.net/

The ut99 tech is really old and the way Epic games has been treating their engine (UT 3) porting it over wouldn't be a wise decision.

Deus Ex 3 is using the crystal dynamics engine and they will tailor it to fit Deus Ex 3. The programmers they have working on it have years of experience with the engine.

Unlike Invisible War, this time they have an engine they know they can push to the maximum without being held back by it's limitations.

Deus Ex remakes have long been the talk of internet forums, albeit mostly talk of fan conversions. I honestly believe that anything other than a professional remake is the way to go because it goes way beyond the scope of a fan project. The sheer amount of modifications to the UT1 engine took years; conversation trees, inventory, locational damage, weapon mods... everything except the renderer I think. Imagine how long that would take non-professionals.

I wouldn't have a problem with a professional remake so long as they didn't stray to much from the original. (then again, wouldn't we all?) The best I think we can hope for is that an SDK is released for Deus Ex 3. Deus Ex 1 + SDK released = success & acclaim. Deus Ex 2 + no SDK = general hatred. Coincidence?! Probably...

Yea I haerd about the high def one but its still not the same :/

And they dont need to upgrade it to the UE3 even UE2 would be fine with me

And with revamp I mean revamp :P
    Everything is the same only prettier ^^

Smile

I wouldn't object to it, but honestly, it's not something I'd actually want (let alone pay for). The original game is a classic, and is good enough for me the way it is.

I don't think Eidos has made enough money out of this series yet to warrant their making a remake. To my knowledge, Tomb Raider Anniversary's the only one that's been done by them, and that was after what, 7 games in the series or something?

Yep, why would you buy the new one if you could buy the old one for 10$ off Steam. This is just not a good idea because it won't make an ymoney.

HDTP are also working with DX: Reborn which is porting all the deus ex files into UE2 and has support for shadows, and there's also the New Vision Mod which is working to replace all world textures with Hi-def ones.

Hi there this is Metche from the HDTP project

Were working on the new weapon models and computer models as we speak so i'm hoping to have a media release in a month or 2 (they all need to be reskinned so that's why it takes time).

I want to confirm that we will donate all of our work to DX:Reborn - for usage in their UT1 to UT2004 mod and our sister mod team, TNM, for inclusion in their superb total conversion

More info on the HDTP project can be found Here.

Cheers
    M.

I can't understand why people want a revamp though.. Our work is free, you can download it and we've made the game to a professional standard.

Meanwhile the Halflife 1 revamp that you mentioned was Black Mesa. Which hasn't been released yet either and for that matter WASN'T EVEN MADE BY VALVE. This proves that the modding community can and most often does produce better quality of work built off existing ideas and franchises. Leave Eidos to come up with the originals since I'd rather them continue to improve, instead of stuck. Meanwhile the advantages of DX:R is that because we aren't commercial we can just port it to a new engine when the time comes along to do so. This means we can keep making the game better and better. Eidos can't do that, since that would cost way way way too much. Its better the community handle it. (my tone comes off that I belong to the team, no I don't but I was talking as in the collaborative sense)

Eidos has given us their support, so the fans should too.

Originally Posted by mr_cyberpunk
    I can't understand why people want a revamp though.. Our work is free, you can download it and we've made the game to a professional standard.

Meanwhile the Halflife 1 revamp that you mentioned was Black Mesa. Which hasn't been released yet either and for that matter WASN'T EVEN MADE BY VALVE. This proves that the modding community can and most often does produce better quality of work built off existing ideas and franchises. Leave Eidos to come up with the originals since I'd rather them continue to improve, instead of stuck. Meanwhile the advantages of DX:R is that because we aren't commercial we can just port it to a new engine when the time comes along to do so. This means we can keep making the game better and better. Eidos can't do that, since that would cost way way way too much. Its better the community handle it. (my tone comes off that I belong to the team, no I don't but I was talking as in the collaborative sense)

Eidos has given us their support, so the fans should too.

Well I didnt know about DX:R... knew about the High def one and tried it but it didnt do it for me.
    If you guys are doing a port to UE2 then there is indeed no need for Eidos to do it and I wish you the best of luck!

Originally Posted by Unstoppable
    Yep, why would you buy the new one if you could buy the old one for 10$ off Steam. This is just not a good idea because it won't make an ymoney.

Because it would be prettier? Why play Counterstrike when you can play Counterstrike Source?

Originally Posted by GundamXXX
    Well I didnt know about DX:R... knew about the High def one and tried it but it didnt do it for me.
    Your prerogative mate.

I would rather Eidos focused on DX3 rather than 'revamping' the original - it'd be a total waste of time and resources on their part and make absolutely no business sense.

Originally Posted by metche
    Your prerogative mate.

I would rather Eidos focused on DX3 rather than 'revamping' the original - it'd be a total waste of time and resources on their part and make absolutely no business sense.
    Ofcourse I want them to focus on DX3... doesnt mean I dont want a revamp of DX1, it was just an idea -_-