Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Guards limping. Damage questions/discussion.

Guards limping. Damage questions/discussion.

Guards limping. Damage questions/discussion.

I think it's about time that games implement more guards that limp when they are shot in the leg -- just like the days of Perfect Dark, that had one of the greatest guard animations/interactions I've ever seen and the game was released in the year 2000 for the Nintendo 64 (!) shesh.

It's so... Depressing to see guards shouting perfectly, and running around, rolling ,dodging etc. after you've shot them two times in the leg.

Also do you think there's going to be an improved and similar damage system to your character that was in DX1? It was a bit silly at times perhaps but with some improvements and fiddling around I think something semi-similar could be implemented.

Anyway feel free to post any thoughts/opinions/facts on this.

I just had to make a quick post to get this off my chest, it's something that constantly bothers me in games today... Limping should be in all games today. Not even something as over hyped as Crysis had something like it.

Good idea, I'll add it to the brainstorming list (Thread Cahiers de Doléances).

Yeah, this should be implemented.
    The more realistic, the better.

Hmm... yeah... seeing some pain on enemies really adds to the realism. Like in STALKER, when you badly injured some guys and they would curl up on the ground moaning in Russian (or Ukrainian? I don't know). That actually sort of freaked me out sometimes.

The only thing is that it would have to be done well. Otherwise you could just spray and pray in the direction of every enemy and they would become impotent.

Yeah, that’d be great.

I’m all for it, it sucks when you shoot someone in the knees and they keep running they should go down.
    And irt ThatDeadDude it’s Ukrainian.

I like the way they did it in dx. Both the player, and NPC's took specific damage. Do enough damage to a guard, and he'd run away. shoot him in the arm (with high enough riffle skill) and he'd drop his gun. shoot him in the head, and he'd die instantly. sneak up behind him and whack him in the arse (never understood why it was there) with the baton or prod, and he'd go down instantly and quietly. and it also applied to the player. jump from too high up and you might live, but with two broken legs you couldn't walk. get shot in the arm(s) and you could hold your gun, but not aim as well. and get shot in the head, you instantly die also.

I also liked how they could run out of ammo. and they'd chase you around with their baton or knife.

Originally Posted by jd10013
    -I also liked how they could run out of ammo. and they'd chase you around with their baton or knife. -
    Yeah that was cool, it’s annoying in all other games that they can shoot at you all day and never run out of ammo.

Realistic reactions from NPCs is just as important as realistic environmental effects.
    It would be cool if the NPCs had movement and behaviour modifiers that allowed them to react to events in realisitic ways. Not only limping when hurt, but whether they limp towards the player in desperation or limp away to escape.

Head shots rule!!!!!!!! I think if you are a supper agent like JC Denton was I think one of your skills should be maxed out so you can do that early on. On that note I think there should be a reward for head shots sneaking up and wacking some one. Maybe when you need to talk to a suspect that wont talk take out a knight and cut off some fingers or give him/her a jab in the leg or just break his leg.

I remember being a little disappointed I couldn't "shoot the legs out from under" guards at first, because I remember blowing off my own legs plenty of times when I first had the demo of the game. I'm guessing it might've been difficult to code or something with the engine, but it would be awesome if they included it now. Maiming someone to the point they ran but not fully killing them was also fun. You could leave them alone and come back only for them to spot you and run again. :P Just imagine that if their legs were crippled.

limping etc would be great. i allway hated how after the guard had decided to runaway, you would catch up with him and he would do nothing!

if i were cornered like that id put out a masive malee attack - what have you to lose, but no they just acted dumb.

I am patient man

Originally Posted by pauldenton
    limping etc would be great. i allway hated how after the guard had decided to runaway, you would catch up with him
    Originally Posted by Lucifer
    I am patient man
    Reading that comment just made my day.

I would like to see the Damage per body region again and it's consquences, like bad aiming for arm damage...

The limping Idea is great, it would add a great realism and immersion feeling in the game, though i guess they will not put this single feature into the game if it's not in the engine (it is?)

Originally Posted by Draco1979
    Head shots rule!!!!!!!! I think if you are a supper agent like JC Denton was I think one of your skills should be maxed out so you can do that early on. On that note I think there should be a reward for head shots sneaking up and wacking some one. Maybe when you need to talk to a suspect that wont talk take out a knight and cut off some fingers or give him/her a jab in the leg or just break his leg.
    Rewards for headshots? There shouldn't be a reward for killing enemies, period. Luckily some of the Splinter Cell people are working on DX3, so here's hoping they'll adopt this.

It'd be great if hiding (unconscious) bodies actually had an effect this time around though. In DX guards only reacted to finding bodies in certain situations (ie when the enemy AI was 'artificially' heightened like when you have to speak with Dowd in Hell's Kitchen). Other than that, guards didn't react to finding bodies at all.

Originally Posted by minus0ne
    Rewards for headshots? There shouldn't be a reward for killing enemies, period. Luckily some of the Splinter Cell people are working on DX3, so here's hoping they'll adopt this.
    This is your way of playing, no kills. But DX offers you the possibility of being a Rambo-like agent, so why reward only stealth players?

Originally Posted by Lo Bruto
    This is your way of playing, no kills. But DX offers you the possibility of being a Rambo-like agent, so why reward only stealth players?
    Stealth players aren't rewarded either... And like I said before, DX isn't some crappy arcade game. You can't get it more unrealistic than "3 headshots and my aiming advances to 15".

I got your point now.

The tear gas canisters where insanely critical for a 'melee-player' especially in areas crowed with guards or those crazy MJ12 raids, jeeeez, it would of been impossible beating Dx1 on realistic setting (playing as only melee) with 'em! I remember when I returned to NYC and I went to visit smuggler. When I left they sent 20 MJ12 soldiers after me, so I put a tear gas canister in the narrow wooden fence (remember the basketball court with that bum) and when they arrived, they all where coughing, etc, and I ran up to them fully power with melee nano-augmentations loaded and my dragons tooth sword and killed all 20 in under 1 minute...

Originally Posted by minus0ne
    It'd be great if hiding (unconscious) bodies actually had an effect this time around though. In DX guards only reacted to finding bodies in certain situations (ie when the enemy AI was 'artificially' heightened like when you have to speak with Dowd in Hell's Kitchen). Other than that, guards didn't react to finding bodies at all.
    That's a good point, the AI never really seemed to notice bodies, and when it did there was really no consequence. It'd also be nice if guards became "more aware" if an alarm was triggered. The one time I can remember a guard actually doing something different was on Liberty Island, the last two NSF guys before Leo had a different conversation if you happened to set off the alarm I believe.

Yeah, hiding bodies should be necessary!

The DX:IW alarm system shouldn't be used either because then the guards will know excactely where you are once the alarm is sound, which is a bit strange and very annoying.

not too keen on the hiding of bodies,

i played splinter cell in this way and that aspect bored me silly. though each to their own.

i will say however that splinter cell in general was solid with some great animation, graphics, voice acting and stealth tools. So i am very pleased some of the DX3 team have a splinter cell background.

they should have plenty to bring to the DX table.

But you have to agree that it's very strange when the remaining guards don't react at all to seeing the dead body of one of their colleagues. In reality they would be highly alarmed and the only way to prevent from that would be to hide the bodies from them. Maybe it's not always fun but it really adds to the overall perception as credible game world and also adds some extra-difficutly to consider before you attack someone.

fox, i do agree, but as said i found it boring and repetetive.
    it felt like i was being made to constantly take the garbage out rather than playing a fun game. but then splinter cell did make it an awefully slow process.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last