Thread: Some (new?) ideas

Some (new?) ideas

Some (new?) ideas

As almost everything I do at the moment is DX-related (DX no-item run, DX:IW np-item run, posting on 2 forums etc.), I came up with some new ideas.
    First of all, there should definately be some kind of system to decide how people react to you. In DX:IW for instance, you can throw crates at SSc guards, but besides a lot of "last warnings", nothing happens. They don't fine you, arrest you or try to defend themselves (by grabbing the box out of your hands and throw it away or something). Also, when you talk to them afterwards, they have completely 'forgotten' they didn't like you because you were being really annoying. Which is really weird.
    Secondly, I think it would be great if there would be a different kind of body-armor in DX3 than in DX. In DX the ballistic armor only lasted for some time, and was useless after that. If there was armor that lasts as long as it isn't hit (for instance, it can take like 3 bullets) reducing the damage (as you still feel the bullets hit you - broken ribs and stuff like that can happen). Only when it is hit by more bullets than it can take you get really hurt. And wouldn't it be cool to be able to have bullet-proof pants and bullet-proof arm parts? And being able to wear a helmet? But all the parts would take inventory space and slow you down so it would only come in handy for people who fight their way through instead of trying to sneak or silently taking down the enemy.

It would be very cool to be able to pickpocket enemies too. I really missed that option in the DX no-item run.

here are my thoughts something like a reputation/reaction/memory whatever you wanna call it - system could consist of:
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...1&postcount=62

Pickpocketing would be cool but could be a little too much (and more a Thief direction), hacking, lockpicking, hiding and PROPER Reactions from NPCs to you being in the wrong place or just plain annoying should be obligatory.

I want all possible interactions with my surrounding possible
    (not only in the shooting department, I'm looking at YOU Bioshock)

arrests

It would be cool if sometimes people tried to arrests you or riot prod you, instead of just trying to kill you. Particularly, when you are just trespassing, and you don't have a gun out or anything. If you get handcuffed, that could be the same as getting killed.

Originally Posted by eddiegorey
    It would be cool if sometimes people tried to arrests you or riot prod you, instead of just trying to kill you. Particularly, when you are just trespassing, and you don't have a gun out or anything. If you get handcuffed, that could be the same as getting killed.
    Yes, game over, but it feels better than just getting shot.

Originally Posted by gamer0004
    Yes, game over, but it feels better than just getting shot.
    I like the idea of being arrested, but it should make a difference from just getting killed. If I could escape from custody, I would even consider surrendering in the face of overwhelming police forces. Everything would be good, just not the game over screen.

I might look like this: You intrude a private property (a mansion or something) and sneak past guards. If they discover your presence, they try to arrest you, using non-lethal force. When they succeed, they take over all your equipment (at least all weapons) and throw you out of the building (the screen blackens and the game teleports you to the starting point). Of course, all hostile behavior is met with excessive force.

That may be a nice mechanic for some areas but it makes sense that some people are trying to kill you on sight (eg MJ12-guards) instead of just capturing you - no matter what you did to catch their attention in the first place.

First of all, the Armor.. They should make it work like clothing in other RPGs, where you put the armor on and it changes all kinds of attributes.. this however would require them implementing my idea for a new skill system since Deus Ex doesn't use Attributes (except for the weapons but not for the character).

I'll also agree that I think we should be able to be knocked out and captured rather than get a game over screen like in the first Deus Ex. I would rather wake up and go "wtf! now I have to escape!".. Being shot non-fatally (say in the leg) could also result in the same. Also the game should be reliant on X allies vs X enemies in the area at the time to suggest if the player will either end up in a prison or end up in a hospital.

I like that since its like Respawning, which Deus Ex never had. And yes you can still die from being shot in the fatal regions or having no allies/enemies in the area to take care of you (as you'd most likely bleed to death).

Could also lead to being team based too, where players can get a Medic on their team that ensures none of the players die from non-fatal wounds and end up in a hospital assuming they aren't overwhelmed by enemies.

Originally Posted by mr_cyberpunk
    First of all, the Armor.. They should make it work like clothing in other RPGs, where you put the armor on and it changes all kinds of attributes.. this however would require them implementing my idea for a new skill system since Deus Ex doesn't use Attributes (except for the weapons but not for the character).

I'll also agree that I think we should be able to be knocked out and captured rather than get a game over screen like in the first Deus Ex. I would rather wake up and go "wtf! now I have to escape!".. Being shot non-fatally (say in the leg) could also result in the same. Also the game should be reliant on X allies vs X enemies in the area at the time to suggest if the player will either end up in a prison or end up in a hospital.

I like that since its like Respawning, which Deus Ex never had. And yes you can still die from being shot in the fatal regions or having no allies/enemies in the area to take care of you (as you'd most likely bleed to death).

Could also lead to being team based too, where players can get a Medic on their team that ensures none of the players die from non-fatal wounds and end up in a hospital assuming they aren't overwhelmed by enemies.
    No team's please, in DX you were very often alone and that's good for the atmosphere and you'll really have to think for yourself. In games with teams you never get stuck because your teammembers hint where you have to go and if they don't it's just stupid as irl they would.

Bit of teambased play never goes amiss methinks... Still, DX was always based on the lone troop sorta thing.

Originally Posted by Jima B
    Bit of teambased play never goes amiss methinks... Still, DX was always based on the lone troop sorta thing.
    No, a little help is ok (like fighting with Paul in the Hilton Hotel, or with Klara Sparks in the corporate suits in DX:IW) but not if you can actually hire people or something like that, or forming a team with which you are almost all the time together.

Proper reactions from NPCs would be great. Not only does it add to the immersion, but it opens up new gameplay opportunities and tactics.

Tom Francis praised Hitman: Blood Money for this kind of reactions:
    "Fuzzy suspicion: Actually this one is largely new, and finally doing it right is the main reason Blood Money is so much better than previous Hitman games. Guards are just a bit more human in how they react to suspicious behaviour, in that they no longer open fire the second you step out of line. That single tweak removes 90% of the frustrating moments a Hitman game normally inflicts on you. It also adds another freedom: the ability to get past AI guards with misdirection and trickiery, rather than stealth or violence. My current favourite approach is to just slightly irritate people:
    a) My target and his girlfriend are making out in a corridor. I turn the light off. He irritably barges past me to turn it back on, and they retreat to his room for some privacy, but the moment is gone and the girl walks out for some air. As she leaves, I slip in and throttle him. I am the mood killer. Also the killer.
    b) A handyman is repainting a doorway to the maintenance tunnels I need to get to. I can’t kill him because the cop opposite takes only very brief breaks from his watch. Instead, I nab his toolbox and toss it across the room with a clang. Annoyed, he goes over to fetch it, and while he’s occupied I stroll through the door.
    c) Two guards man the monitors in a security booth overlooked by a CCTV camera. They’re close enough that neither can be killed without alerting the other, no matter where their attention is turned. I back round the corner, and throw my gun into their line of sight. It’s a dangerous item, so of course one of them has to confiscate it and take it to the security HQ in the main building. While he’s away, I throttle his partner, steal the camera’s tape, and take his clothes so that the main building’s reception guard won’t think anything of it when I follow the gun-confiscator into the security HQ - a nice quiet place to strangle him and take my gun back. Psych!" (from http://www.kfj.f2s.com/index.php/200...-money-and-sex)

The ability to interact with characters on the line between combat and stealth by adds a whole new dimension to the game.

Originally Posted by gamer0004
    No, a little help is ok (like fighting with Paul in the Hilton Hotel, or with Klara Sparks in the corporate suits in DX:IW) but not if you can actually hire people or something like that, or forming a team with which you are almost all the time together.
    I was thinking more a long the lines of that troopers just happen to be in the area and give you the option of help. This is what IWar and DX1 both did and I think it worked well, but I think it could be extended to avoid those knocked out screens.