Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last

Thread: DX:HR - The Collectors' Edition

DX:HR - The Collectors' Edition

DX:HR - The Collectors' Edition

Any ideas for a special collectors edition of this game?

I personally love metal tin containers and also an exclusive figure/model of some sort.
    For example, the Bioshock game included a model of the Big Daddy.

Would be cool to have a fetus model or something.
    Also, an extra content CD and illustrated art book would be awesome!

I'd happily pay the extra for a collectors edition.... how about you guys?

I am not a fan of Collector's Editions and I think this is a topic nobody envolved with the actual development of the game should have to think about at this point. I loved the oldschool paperboxes and those little gimmicks they came with (look at the later Ultima-titles for examples) but apart from a well written in depth-handbook there's nothing I really do want to get with the game's DVD(s). I kinda befriended with the DVD-cases nowadays because they take up less space of my room. A making of would be nice but not as part of a special edition. I hate the idea of exclusive ingame-content like special vehicles or items because it smells like a class society, those who paid more and those who paid less.

Mmm, hear what you say but I disagree with your reasons regarding the assumption that it encourages/smells like a class society.

You are paying a little extra for an exclusive model, IF you want it.
    Same as buying a separate figurine or something from a toy company.
    No big deal if you don't want it, one just purchases the standard edition.
    Everything else can be included in the standard edition...

Personally, I would love for there to be a choice and hopefully the developers WILL think about a Special Edition for fans/collectors.

I have no problems with exclusive realworld items like action figures or stuff like that but I think it's stupid to offer stuff inside the gameworld (and I was thinking of online-games there). Nobody should be able to get access to exclusive content (like special items) by paying real money for it. It is better to give every player the same possibilities.

Agreed.

As for the box, maybe a holographic print? Haven't seen that in any game, and it would fit right in with DX' cyberpunk theme.

Extras? Gadgets? The I'd say GOTY version of DX did it right - an in-universe piece of newspaper. A unique gadget, something you remember.

Ooh, I got an idea: since GOTY DX had a newspaper, why not have DX3 have a dvd with an in-universe style documentary movie?

Something about conspiracy theories (with some maybe as ludicrous and funny as the DX Midnight Sun snippets ) or the problems of DX' society.

Originally Posted by -=fox=-
    I have no problems with exclusive realworld items like action figures or stuff like that but I think it's stupid to offer stuff inside the gameworld (and I was thinking of online-games there). Nobody should be able to get access to exclusive content (like special items) by paying real money for it. It is better to give every player the same possibilities.
    +++

And in addition to everything that has already been said, they could also include a soundtrack CD.

IMHO a soundtrack is the type of extra that should be available for download, since it's something that's not really unique, and is easy to replicate. I personally know people who either buy collector's editions if they have unique gadgets or just pirate the game if they don't. Plus, a free download is always good publicity - look at Bioshock, releasing the soundtrack and artbook for download created a lot of positive buzz.

In-game exclusive items should definitely not be done. That's the way "micropayment games" make money, which I believe is fast becoming a gaming genre of its own entirely (ie; "games" without gameplay, the kind where the "gameworld" is nothing more than a visual representation of a chat room, except with... designer clothing and crap).

Though I'd buy a CE if it really stood apart from the regular edition. 'Making of' type videos are always crap, as are any type of bundled movies (even when they're budgetted: you still need talented people to make one, which adds to the budget and I'd rather have them spend that on developing the game, trust me, it's VERY expensive to make films), although they could possibly do a cool feature length machinima pseudo-documentary set in the DX universe (building on Van Hellsing's idea), that could easily be done using the settings and resources of the game itself. They could emulate known documentary or journalistic formats (and also make fun of today's sensational and alarmist 'journalism', much in the same way DX did except in a different form). But it'd have to be very imaginative and not take too much out of the budget. Or they could actually include Jacob's Shadow (I know, someone would have to write it, but it would be possible, it wouldn't have to be a literary masterpiece, just an 80-page short story indirectly adding to the DX universe in one way or another). A soundtrack is also a good idea, but that pretty much comes standard with every CE nowadays.

At any rate, I'd much rather have something extra that adds to the DX universe than something like an action figurine. Though a stylish shiny metal DX3 box? Gimme!

1 of 2 things would make me buy the CE.

1. A copy of the original Deus Ex 1 Design Document on PDF.. Eidos might be a bit protective of that though

2. A copy of the original Deus Ex 1 ALPHA and BETA versions.

I'm with Van on this one, physical items are best as they can't be pirated, nor simply extracted from the game's content. Making of books, signed posters, pewter figurines, that sort of thing.

Talking about physical items for CEs... how about several sub-surface laser engraved pictures showing off things like the famous "big hand grabbing globe"-sculpture in the VersaLife-complex, a human genome, the fetus from the trailer and other things like that? It's not very expensive.

Examples:
    - http://www.design-academy.co.uk/ssle.htm
    - http://www.art-crystal.com/images-ti...eco-sphere.jpg

Originally Posted by v.dog
    I'm with Van on this one, physical items are best as they can't be pirated, nor simply extracted from the game's content. Making of books, signed posters, pewter figurines, that sort of thing.
    Same here. That little chunk of the Berlin Wall that came with my CE of World In Conflict is pretty cool, as well as the DVD of the Berlin Wall episode of The History Channel's Modern Marvels.

Personally, for DX3, I'd like to see a book(let) containing a "history" of the DX universe, starting with mechaugs, moving through nanotech, and so on, with the DX1/DX2 history part of it. A little like the manual for Homeworld did, with recounting the entire history of the Hiigarans, including politics, religion, and "tales" from their distant past.

Originally Posted by minus0ne
    In-game exclusive items should definitely not be done. That's the way "micropayment games" make money, which I believe is fast becoming a gaming genre of its own entirely (ie; "games" without gameplay, the kind where the "gameworld" is nothing more than a visual representation of a chat room, except with... designer clothing and crap).

Though I'd buy a CE if it really stood apart from the regular edition. 'Making of' type videos are always crap, as are any type of bundled movies (even when they're budgetted: you still need talented people to make one, which adds to the budget and I'd rather have them spend that on developing the game, trust me, it's VERY expensive to make films), although they could possibly do a cool feature length machinima pseudo-documentary set in the DX universe (building on Van Hellsing's idea), that could easily be done using the settings and resources of the game itself. They could emulate known documentary or journalistic formats (and also make fun of today's sensational and alarmist 'journalism', much in the same way DX did except in a different form). But it'd have to be very imaginative and not take too much out of the budget. Or they could actually include Jacob's Shadow (I know, someone would have to write it, but it would be possible, it wouldn't have to be a literary masterpiece, just an 80-page short story indirectly adding to the DX universe in one way or another). A soundtrack is also a good idea, but that pretty much comes standard with every CE nowadays.

At any rate, I'd much rather have something extra that adds to the DX universe than something like an action figurine. Though a stylish shiny metal DX3 box? Gimme!
    You're absolutely right. I'd definately pay more for a CE if it had those extra's. I'd really like a newspaper and artbook. Jacob's shadow or something like that and a documentary would be cool too. And the soundtrack on a CD, and for those who do not have the CE it should be available to download.

after they finished the game and I have a small hope that it doesn't suck as in "shooter 2.0" I'll think about getting a CE or not. But the times of mindlessly preordering every CollectorsEdition are long gone. Publishers and their funny differing editions across the world and the Devs with their funny interviews promising you things that never make it into the game made me cautious.

Thanks for feedback on this everyone!

I really want a collectors figure at the end of the day, hehe.
    So, very much hoping this will be offered.

Originally Posted by -=fox=-
    Talking about physical items for CEs... how about several sub-surface laser engraved pictures showing off things like the famous "big hand grabbing globe"-sculpture in the VersaLife-complex, a human genome, the fetus from the trailer and other things like that? It's not very expensive.
    I definitely want one of those. Great idea!

If DX3 was better than DX:IW I'd buy the CE even if it was €100 (and was worth it, I mean added value, unlike the Gothic 3 CE). But that's me lol.

I have no idea why everyone is talking CE stopping Piracy.. that has no proof and in actuality most people pirate the game anyway. The key to stop piracy is and always will be the WoW system which forces users to have a working serial code to use the official servers.. which would only apply with the multiplayer component.. like what WIC did.

Further more I think we'd only get a documentary and an art book.. possibly a figurine or comic book like we saw with Assassin's Creed, since Eidos Montreal will most likely borrow a lot of the tactics Ubisoft Montreal uses (since a majority of their employees are Ex-Ubi Montreal).. it all comes down to the marketing department though.. so again we just wait till the devs give us some information since its too early to call.

I didn't say the CE would stop piracy, just that it's nice to pay money and get something that you can't just download off the net.

It's an incentive not to pirate, more than any sort measure to actually stop it.

If there's no good demo for the game, nothing is going to stop me from pirating (trying) it before I buy it. I don't buy games anymore if I can't try them before I buy them. Too many empty or broken promises these days.

Originally Posted by Kneo24
    If there's no good demo for the game, nothing is going to stop me from pirating (trying) it before I buy it. I don't buy games anymore if I can't try them before I buy them. Too many empty or broken promises these days.
    I'm sure there will be a demo.

A making of DVD like the one on Oblivion collector's edition would be GREAT !!

Now this is slightly offtopic but I don't want to create a new thread for it. I've just seen the 5 clip-series "Jim Holston at Pandemic" by the devs of the game "Mercenaries 2" and thought that they are actually pretty cool. I'd love to see something like that from the guys at Eidos Montreal...

- http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29361.html

If you're going to do a collector's edition, do it right and not rip off your customers. An extra dvd with content just won't do. We want physical things. Command and Conquer 3 Kane's edition for the USA is the perfect example of what NOT to do.

The other countries however got way better items. Like...

- 1 Nod or GDI translucent Dog-Tag,
    - 1 Razer Mantis Control/Speed Mat,
    - 1 Nod or GDI T-shirt,
    - Kane Edition,
    - 1 Frosted Tiberium Bag.

They probably also got the behind the scenes dvd as well. I don't really care much about behind the scenes and would prefer a soundtrack.

What I really want is a T-shirt, Tin case, artwork/concept, special JC Denton sunglasses, and maybe even a JC Denton dog tag.

I want the whole kit and caboodle and would be willing to spend anywhere between 10-20$ more if YOU make it WORTH my money. Do not rip me off please like other companies AKA EA games.

I deserve it too. I love Eidos and all their games. I am very happy they commited to Eidos Montreal. You guys are on my A list.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last