Thread: Another possible origin of "Emile"

Another possible origin of "Emile"

Another possible origin of "Emile"

(found this on http://www.deusex.pl/)

Emile might be a reference to Émile Durkheim, one of the founding fathers of Sociology. Durkheim is the author of the term "collective consciousness". Sound familiar?

Personally though, I still get the feeling "Emile" is a red herring, possibly something as simple as a signature of the 3D artist who did the fetus model. Remember, this game is made by Eidos Montreal, so a lot of the devs would have french names.

Since this going to be the Emile-Interpretation-Thread, I'll quote my results I posted in another Thread:

"Emile meaning Industrious. From the Roman family name Aemilius." source

Aemilius: "A Roman family name from the Roman word 'aemulus' meaning trying to equal or excel, emulating, rival." Source

So the name was possibly chosen in connection with the idea of transhumanism.
    But I like the interpretation of the name being a reference to Emile Durkheim and his sociological works and studies much better.

What about Zola?

What about him?

There's also Emil Pagliarulo, who worked as a consultant on DX:IW

Yeah, definitely fits in nicely with the work of Emile Durkheim.

I also found out that the meaning of the name Emile can also be "Unique"...

Question Emile hypothesis

Maybe Emile is just a casing for something inside it. It clicks when you think about it, with all the little monitors all over the "fetus's" body and the Caution written on it, pointing to a lower screen. Maybe the 'fetus' is just being monitored or kept in stasis. If it is kept in stasis it could be a possible JC clone, eh pretty much anything is possible with new developers/project lead on the board. I'd like to hear other hypothesis's remember nothing is too over the top, if we guess enough we'll probably get it. . .. probably.. :P Or Emile could be an Omar, since the nuking of area 51 it probably was hard to live in any areas of the new world so 'Emile' could be like a second skin that grows with the fetus protecting it from radiation, checking vitals etc etc.

I hope it's some kind of Omar evolution. My wildest DX3 dream. Based on the Omar. Wow, that would be great.

Yeah, I definitely felt some compassion for the Omar.

Here is my alternative theory, feel free to pick it apart:

Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote a book called On Education with the main character called Emile, a young boy who had to grow up in a society full of evil. Rousseau firmly believed that the natural goodness of man was warped by society and claimed that the source of this evil lived in the cities and so he brought up Emile in the country and told him that a persons life goal was to live a righteous life.

His ideas and philosophy influenced the French Revolution.

Originally Posted by Rosenrot
    Maybe Emile is just a casing for something inside it. It clicks when you think about it, with all the little monitors all over the "fetus's" body and the Caution written on it, pointing to a lower screen. Maybe the 'fetus' is just being monitored or kept in stasis. If it is kept in stasis it could be a possible JC clone, eh pretty much anything is possible with new developers/project lead on the board. I'd like to hear other hypothesis's remember nothing is too over the top, if we guess enough we'll probably get it. . .. probably.. :P Or Emile could be an Omar, since the nuking of area 51 it probably was hard to live in any areas of the new world so 'Emile' could be like a second skin that grows with the fetus protecting it from radiation, checking vitals etc etc.
    It's a prequel.

We still don't know that yet.

Originally Posted by Tracer Tong
    It's a prequel.
    All we know is they are making a third Deus Ex

Rousseau

I was thinking of the Rousseau link as well. Makes sense. Think I'll have to crack that book open and see how many other connections I can find...

Originally Posted by Delos
    Here is my alternative theory, feel free to pick it apart:

Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote a book called On Education with the main character called Emile, a young boy who had to grow up in a society full of evil. Rousseau firmly believed that the natural goodness of man was warped by society and claimed that the source of this evil lived in the cities and so he brought up Emile in the country and told him that a persons life goal was to live a righteous life.

His ideas and philosophy influenced the French Revolution.
    I do hope not. Rousseau believes all society is evil and man should aspire to be ignorant and 'innocent' (which he believes are righteous traits). He also didn't believe in human rights. For an enlightenment age writer he truly held some backward notions.