Thread: Cheats

Cheats

Cheats

I was wondering, whilst playing a bit of DX1 what everyone's thoughts on cheats were?

Now don't assume, automatically that I myself am a cheater. Although the reason I was playing was to mess around with the game and the cheats .

I mean, in multiplayer, if the devs. choose to have a multiplayer mode, then cheats shouldn't be allowed, because that's just boring and we all know that. It's just that, the cheats were done really well on DX1, and you could mess around with them and have a lot of fun, so personally I think one or two wouldn't hurt.

Lemme know what you think guys. Oh and if you feel differently don't get angry at me .

Originally Posted by Loneranger
    I was wondering, whilst playing a bit of DX1 what everyone's thoughts on cheats were?
    Well, I don't use cheats on normal playthroughs. But they are ok for having some extra fun or for trying out things.

I mean, in multiplayer, if the devs. choose to have a multiplayer mode, then cheats shouldn't be allowed, because that's just boring and we all know that.
    If cheats would be allowed, they wouldn't be cheats.

The best bet (in multiplayer) would be the integration of PunkBuster into the game. There's quite a number of titles nowadays, which are already equipped with it and they are more efficient at fighting the cheaters than those which aren't.

(Well, PB isn't perfect, but it's a good start.)

Punkbuster is pure . I'm sorry, but it is. I've known quite a few people who had have to find workarounds for Punkbuster because it would incorrectly identify them as a cheater, or cause some conflict where the multiplayer wouldn't work correctly. Also, it seems Punkbuster is worse than VAC at detecting cheats.

Well, that supports my "PB isn't perfect" statement.

I haven't played any Valve games online yet, so I can't provide feedback from the VAC. But I have played Enemy Territory for several years and I think PB was quite good at it's job. (Aside from the Nexus incidents)

As long as it's receiving regular updates, it should be okay.

Although I don't know why would PB detect a cheater incorrectly... Maybe some suspicious processes running and/or modified display drivers?

My point is that if they're going to do multiplayer, they should just develop their own detection algorithm instead of using someone elses, which is bound to cause problems.

Fair enough. Although it might be quite time-consuming to develop such thing.

Why no inplant in a secret virus into Deus Ex 3. So if the game finds out that some graphics files have been mixtured with, in game or computer. The virus will go active in Deus Ex 3 and destroy all BIOS in the users computer and maybe even set it into fire. Sounds just fair for me.

Originally Posted by Red
    Fair enough. Although it might be quite time-consuming to develop such thing.
    That all really depends on how important the MP will be to them. It will obviously have it, as people will want it. However, seeing as how this is going to be an SP game, the MP will probably feel like it's been tacked on as an afterthought. In the end, if they do go this route, they probably will use something like PB. (PB is fine for these type of games, but it really bothers me that MP only games use PB. Honestly, that's just *** retarded.)

I don't want MP

Arrow

Of course, I don't make constant use of cheats either. But I've definitely made use of them in several games for a little experimenting. Sometimes I might use them in DX1 to spawn a particular weapon or aug at the beginning of the game, that usually I wouldn't receive until later on, purely because I'm just curious as to how different the experience might be if I tried playing through a certain section using said weapon/aug.

And if it hadn't been for Ghost Mode, I never would have discovered that safe hidden in Manderley's office (even if there seems to be no way to get to the damn thing!)

Cheats, so long as they're not abused, can certainly boost the entertainment value IMO. I speak only of single player games here, btw - I'm not a multiplayer person, although I agree that to use cheats like that on a multiplayer game would be wrong.

This reminds me actually: one of these days I'm really going to have to play through the entire DX1 using the "Matrix Vision" cheat...

I don't like to cheat and I don't think there is a need in a GOOD game.

The only time I do use them is if I get permanently stuck. Last time was Tomb Raider Anniversary with the Centaurs, ssshh.

If I play a game a second-time round, I might use God mode, just for fun.

theres no mp....

I rarely cheated in the single player (never played MP in DX1) - in SP the only thing I did was exploit the multitool/lockpick glitch on a couple of occasions.

Is that considered cheating?
    GT = Moorpheusl9 (that's a lower case 'L' not a '1')
    My vision is augmented...

Originally Posted by IceBallz
    Why no inplant in a secret virus into Deus Ex 3. So if the game finds out that some graphics files have been mixtured with, in game or computer. The virus will go active in Deus Ex 3 and destroy all BIOS in the users computer and maybe even set it into fire. Sounds just fair for me.
    'The God damn toaster set on fire again, get the fire extinguisher!'.... 'Holy crap my PC!'

Holy necropost, batman!
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.