Thread: Invisible War - the good, the bad and the ugly

Invisible War - the good, the bad and the ugly

Invisible War - the good, the bad and the ugly

So everyone hates invisible war. But the game has its moments.
    Consider:

1. The amount of redundancy (i.e. story missed through player choice) is remarkable. You can side with WTO or Order Church and miss whole chunks of story. This is a very interesting structure unlike Bioshock which was quite linear. I hope DE3 has a branching tree structure for the story with choice and consequence (ie decisions block off other paths). It will be interesting to compare the game with David Brabens 'Outsider' also due in 2009. I just hope eidos truly experiment with non-linearity.

2. The amount of philosophical/ ideological debate and questions in IW is staggering and quite risky. Comparable only with Koijimas politically charged MGS2 sons of liberty (which was edited post 9/11). And look how Kojimas political views were newtered by Konami for MGS3 - in the name of risk managment. I hope eidos take some chances with the themes and politics in deus ex3.

So I recommend people pick up a copy of IW for £2.99 and replay it. Though the loading times on xbox are disgraceful.... for shame

I hope that Deus Ex has as little in common with the metal gear games as possible.

I agree. Metal Gear Solid is a terrible series from the overall concept of "Giant Robots" right down to the names of the characters.

Main villain of Deus Ex 3 - "Colorful Kangaroo"

MGS2 had some interesting new gameplay and a very politicised story. It was quite interesting. But MGS3, apart from the amazing sniper battle with 'The End', was pretty uninspiring. The only thing the games really have in common with deus ex is the conspiracy element and hopefully some intent by the creators to get the player thinking. The games have something to say about human nature, politics, science etc (though MGS3 was suprisingly vacuous).

But the gameplay for the two is completely different. Deus ex is about choice and consequence. Whereas MGS is usually a series of scripted set pieces with lots of anime-style exposition. I guess MGS2 had more to say than snake eater because of its contemporary setting. So hopefully MGS4 will be more relevant.

You can see with the success of games like assassins creed that people want something different with new gameplay. Deus ex 3 is a perfect opportunity to do this.

The only way MGS2 could possibly be considered "politicized" or "politically relevant" would be if you got your news from a cereal box or a cartoon. It's just a bunch of long, self important rants featuring some of the highest concentrations of nonsense this side of Final Fantasy.

Yes there is a lot of crap in MGS. But sometimes Kojima hits the target. For example the 20 minute rant at the end of sons of liberty that had people mashing their x buttons to skip. Its about the way governments and businesses misinterpret truth and distort history in the media. Basically political spin and half-truths. Then he talks about the psychological self where everyone assumes individuality even though we essentially all do the same thing everyday i.e. consume, go to work, socialize etc. Then he talks about the relationship between social background and people's opportunities in life. And about how people carousel blame/responsibility on to others when things go wrong. Its quite interesting stuff. Like you get in deus ex, Koijima has something to say about society

You'll probably disagree with all of this. Or you mashed past that bit in the game. So I wont even try to convince you . I just hope eidos put some social commentry into the new deus ex game

MGS just uses the same old "You can't trust what the government tells you" story that everyone already knows anyway. But MGS then goes on to feature flying transvestite vampires, russian cowboys with talking arms, a Beyonce who can bend bullet-paths, fat roller-blading bomb-makers drenched in cologne, a Doc Ock who enjoys stripping feminine men for interrogation purposes, and crashing a UFO into NYC. And that's leaving out all the LifeTime-style character drama. It's just complete garbage. The game started off well enough but then quickly turned to trash once Solid Snake "died" and if Deus Ex 3's inspiration for plot is THAT game, then be prepared for fanboy backlash like you have never seen.

Its going to be interesting to see what eidos do with the new story to get beyond the same old "You can't trust what the government tells you". But point taken about the russian cowboys with talking arms. That was barking. And MGS4 looks no different

Originally Posted by midna1
    Yes there is a lot of crap in MGS. But sometimes Kojima hits the target. For example the 20 minute rant at the end of sons of liberty that had people mashing their x buttons to skip. Its about the way governments and businesses misinterpret truth and distort history in the media. Basically political spin and half-truths. Then he talks about the psychological self where everyone assumes individuality even though we essentially all do the same thing everyday i.e. consume, go to work, socialize etc. Then he talks about the relationship between social background and people's opportunities in life. And about how people carousel blame/responsibility on to others when things go wrong. Its quite interesting stuff. Like you get in deus ex, Koijima has something to say about society

You'll probably disagree with all of this. Or you mashed past that bit in the game. So I wont even try to convince you . I just hope eidos put some social commentry into the new deus ex game
    What he really does is drone on and on about nonsensical bs like a high school freshman on his first day in philosophy class. The guy is just a crappy writer.

Fair point. I guess the writing is going to make or break deus ex 3