Page 6 of 41 First First ... 234567891016 ... Last

Thread: DX:HR SOUNDTRACK - Composer - MICHAEL McCANN - All Discussion

DX:HR SOUNDTRACK - Composer - MICHAEL McCANN - All Discussion

Originally Posted by JaYp146
    PLEASE re-hire Alexander Brandon to compose the soundtrack for Deus Ex 3.
    Yes, I raise my hand to vote for this too.

DX2 was more for atmosphere than for real action. Some of the music worked well but I truly would like another DX1 like soundtrack.

I say be honest with what you're doing: a video game needs a true video game soundtrack.

Loved the Uncharted (PS3) soundtrack by Greg Edmonson, it really is a brilliant job.
    "The year is 2027"

Suggested music/composer?
    Yeah, well if it isn't to be Alex Brandon again, I think someone like Rhys Fulber (Conjure One) could do an excellent job.

Originally Posted by jordan_a
    I say be honest with what you're doing: a video game needs a true video game soundtrack.

Loved the Uncharted (PS3) soundtrack by Greg Edmonson, it really is a brilliant job.
    OMG, yes, Greg Edmonson is a fabulous composer!

correct me if i'm mistaken, but didn't Alexander Brandon appear on this forum a while ago?
    Anyone remember what he said then? I don't.

I read back through this thread some time ago. He said something to the extent that he wouldn't be able to make music in the same way he did for DX1, because the industry standards for making music for video games have changed. Something abouth the synths involved. Like you, I'm too lazy to look back.

And he also said that he wouldn't be working on DX 3.

Originally Posted by AlexBrandon
    Wow. I'm glad so many were fond of the soundtrack. StormFront, I do have to agree with you. Deus Ex had some good themes and a strong overall musical identity, but the repetition was indeed annoying. Back in those days we didn't pay as much attention to gameplay time against music length. It was more about "eh, two minutes should suffice for this entire level, as long as we have combat and exploration", but if exploration lasted a lot longer than combat, etc.. It's one of the things that taught me to work much more closely with designers on a regular basis as to a level's specific progressions and mechanics.

I also agree with the folks that think the music itself is outdated. It is! While nice for nostalgia, MODs are dead except in handheld, and we even used a live orchestra to record the main theme for the PS2 version.

I'm definitely flattered and honored that Eidos had a nod to the original theme in the trailer. I'm hoping they'll take the memorable bits from the original games (my personal favorite is the title from DX:IW, for example) and skillfully weave them into DX3, while giving the game a feel all it's own and introducing new themes. I'm excited to see what this game will unfold into.
    Here's what he said.

Thank you for finding Alex's original reply.

I agree that the game should retain elements of the original music but with a more updated sound.

As Alex won't be back to do DX3, I would like to suggest the composer Jesper Kyd.
    http://www.jesperkyd.com/

He has already created music for games including Assassins Creed and Hitman.
    Eidos are familiar with his work.

I think Jesper is FANTASTIC! Very versatile in his style... I hope Eidos use him again.

I fully support Jesper Kyd for Deus Ex 3. He's a brilliant composer and has created some very original and memorable music, specifically in the Hitman series. He is definitely familiar with ambient soundscapes. So long as he can keep the feel of Deus Ex intact, I am all for him.

Cool!!!!

That's two votes for JESPER KYD.... he's the man!

Eidos, please take note.

Why can't we have Alex back

He said in another post that he would not be working on the DX series again. I'm not sure why.

I'll try to check this Jesper guy out. Hitman did have some damn good music.

^
    Yeah, Kyd's website has a good selection of music samples on first page.
    He's definitely a composer worthy of consideration for DX3.

Kyd definitely has versatility enough to adapt his music to suit the game. The Assassins Creed and Hitman soundtracks are completely different, but good nevertheless, and appropriate to their games. I'm sure if he were to work on DX3 the score would be equally suitable and awesome. Still, though, I think my vote goes to Amon Tobin. The Chaos Theory soundtrack is one of my favourite albums of all time, and again, differs greatly from the rest of Tobin's music.

Originally Posted by serene_chaos
    Kyd definitely has versatility enough to adapt his music to suit the game. The Assassins Creed and Hitman soundtracks are completely different, but good nevertheless, and appropriate to their games. I'm sure if he were to work on DX3 the score would be equally suitable and awesome. Still, though, I think my vote goes to Amon Tobin. The Chaos Theory soundtrack is one of my favourite albums of all time, and again, differs greatly from the rest of Tobin's music.
    I agree, Tobin has also produced some nice work.

My vote goes to Jesper Kyd though... just a personal music choice.

Originally Posted by pHdeus
    Alexander Brandon's music is part of the DNA of Deus EX, and perhaps JC Denton himself. I do not believe that the two can be separated and I would very much hope our friends in Montreal know this also. It might not have been Alexander Brandon's requested legacy, but I can think of much worse.

And with Deus EX 3 there is another canvas on which to create another superb artistic balance between game and music, which is one of the crowning achievements of the series.

Alexander Brandon is Deus EX and vice versa. They have the same musical DNA.
    Thinking about it, you're right. Can't think of DX without it's music, and vice versa. It maybe cheesy today, much like early synth pop of the 80s sounds now, but it's part of the age. DX3 without the techno/synth/computer generated music just wouldn't be the DX world.

I browse around the F.E.A.R. SDK and that ambient music is mostly generic studio made sounds. But some themes for certain levels also have that brand like affect (so much so, when reused in the XP packs, it destroyed the feel. As this song went to that level and it's memories [yes, memories], not THIS level). One for the Admin level was appropriately computer like in sound (creepier than hell, too), you could hear the modem chirp as a back beat even. It had a God-in-the-machine-sound, just as I envisioned it would be in DX (it's a game I got closer to DX in, as I saw what I missed and what I wished would be in a game. Before it didn't really matter, as what games I played weren't even in the genre. But F.E.A.R. is closer, and it hardened my views about DX in the end, as it was so theme based. What's missing, what's not, what could be).

So DX3 really needs that computer like feel for a sound track. Understand Brandon doesn't want to return to the tracking days, but I he's talented enough to do the same with studio tools of today. Cheesier rifts the better.

Jazz Jackrabbit anyone? Now Alexander Brandon did some great music for that game - Yeah!

I wouldn't mind having Marty O'Donnell- the guy behind the 3 Halo soundtracks- do DX 3.

Originally Posted by TrickyVein
    Jazz Jackrabbit anyone? Now Alexander Brandon did some great music for that game - Yeah!
    Did Alexander do that one too? I loved that music!
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

Exclamation Old Post - Newer Concern

This is a question for the people who have an in to what Eidos is doing.

Though various conversations in this forum, it has been revealed that Alexander Brandon is not working on Deus Ex 3. Given his brilliance with Deus EX and Deus EX IW, I am concerned whether Eidos has found an excellent choice for music director and composer for Deus EX. 3 (Naturally, this makes the assumption that Deus EX 3 will have continuous ambient music like its predecessors.)

Can Rene (sorry no accent) or anyone comment on what is going on musically with Deus EX 3?

Eidos has a history of damn fine soundtracks in games, done by great musicians. Jesper Kyd on the Hitman series, Eric Brosius on Thief, Kurt Harland on Legacy of Kain... I don't think any Eidos game I ever played disappointed me musically.

(Even DX . I'm first to admit most of the DX1 music isn't really my taste, but the tracks I do like, I like immensely: UNATCO, NYC streets...)

Originally Posted by MissDenton
    I agree that the game should retain elements of the original music but with a more updated sound.
    Yeah, I also hope we'll here some of the original songs in some form again in DX3.
    Originally Posted by MissDenton
    As Alex won't be back to do DX3, I would like to suggest the composer Jesper Kyd.
    http://www.jesperkyd.com/
    I agree, he is great but there are other very good composers too. Like Cris Velasco who did the soundtrack for some really great games, last time he created the music for Clive Barker's Jericho, I loved it. Especially one of them, it creeps the hell out of me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnihvviv4s

@van_HellSing: And some of them were recorded in Hungary.

Thanks. I appreciate the education from people far more knowledgable than me. Also, MissDenton and I have held similar views ih this forum, so I am glad to see her views included here as well.

I must admit that I still have the bias that Alexander Brandon's muisc is part of the chemistry or the DNA of the series, and that changing that is not without risk.

Originally Posted by pHdeus
    I must admit that I still have the bias that Alexander Brandon's muisc is part of the chemistry or the DNA of the series, and that changing that is not without risk.

Agreed.

Im going to throw another name into the pot also - Yoko Kanno, a real nice musical talent with music for the Ghost in the Shell movie's under her belt.

Page 6 of 41 First First ... 234567891016 ... Last