Page 2 of 41 First First 12345612 ... Last

Thread: DX:HR SOUNDTRACK - Composer - MICHAEL McCANN - All Discussion

DX:HR SOUNDTRACK - Composer - MICHAEL McCANN - All Discussion

I really love the DX soundtrack. It adds so much to the atmosphere.
    I was a bit disappointed from the IW music as I was from the game as well.

I hope the style of the DX3 soundtrack will be more DX1ish again this time.

I loved the music and the sound in general. It helped to create the atmosphere of the game.

I love the DX music so much, it's an all time permanent on my mp3 player and my winamp playlist.
    Though ingame I usually turn the volume of the music down to better hear the footsteps of my enemies.

Just listened to bits of the soundtrack again. Wow. Talk about bringing back the mood and the feeling of the game. Classic music. No other game has ever done that.

Originally Posted by ricwhite
    Just listened to bits of the soundtrack again. Wow. Talk about bringing back the mood and the feeling of the game. Classic music. No other game has ever done that.
    No other game had good music that was evocative of the game itself? Are you serious?

I know that the DX music was iconic and recognisable (and I want the themes it painted to be carried forward) but the style of them was terrible. Sounded like the midi crap you'd get on the Amiga back in the day

Originally Posted by StormFront
    No other game had good music that was evocative of the game itself? Are you serious?

I know that the DX music was iconic and recognisable (and I want the themes it painted to be carried forward) but the style of them was terrible. Sounded like the midi crap you'd get on the Amiga back in the day
    But on the other side of the fence, it shouldn't sound like the orchestral score from "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" either. Some of Deus Ex's songs I simply can't imagine in any non-digital form (Escape from UNATCO) although some could really benefit from some instrumental work.

Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace
    But on the other side of the fence, it shouldn't sound like the orchestral score from "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" either. Some of Deus Ex's songs I simply can't imagine in any non-digital form (Escape from UNATCO) although some could really benefit from some instrumental work.
    And why should you? I would not want to see anything but the most basic themes carried forward in the score as was done fo rthe opening title of IW (which I liked a lot). Reproducing the DX score for a game that was not DX is just stupid. There is no reason that DX3, a completely new game, could not have a full orchestral score. Why are people even discussing the iea of the music being "remade"? It's just a nonesense.

I've downloaded both the orchestre files and the original files, and some originals are better and some of the orchestre files are better. It depends on the music, for instance UNATCO HQ. UNATCO HQ is better in the original version, it just sounds better.
    Some really great remakes are the piano versions of Sivak Drac: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=1697233

And why should you? I would not want to see anything but the most basic themes carried forward in the score as was done fo rthe opening title of IW (which I liked a lot). Reproducing the DX score for a game that was not DX is just stupid. There is no reason that DX3, a completely new game, could not have a full orchestral score. Why are people even discussing the iea of the music being "remade"? It's just a nonesense.
    Where did I say they they should just start remaking all the songs? I said I'd like some pivotal themes carried over, as happens with just about any series. You really need to stop putting words in my mouth. I simply said it wouldn't feel like Deus Ex if the entire soundtrack is orchestral.

Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace
    Where did I say they they should just start remaking all the songs? I said I'd like some pivotal themes carried over, as happens with just about any series. You really need to stop putting words in my mouth. I simply said it wouldn't feel like Deus Ex if the entire soundtrack is orchestral.
    Fair comment,I must have missunderstood your post. I thought you were talking as if it was assumed that DX3 should have the same music as DX1 and you could not bare the thought of them orchestrating it. Got my wires crossed.

Originally Posted by AlexBrandon
    Wow. I'm glad so many were fond of the soundtrack. StormFront, I do have to agree with you. Deus Ex had some good themes and a strong overall musical identity, but the repetition was indeed annoying. Back in those days we didn't pay as much attention to gameplay time against music length. It was more about "eh, two minutes should suffice for this entire level, as long as we have combat and exploration", but if exploration lasted a lot longer than combat, etc.. It's one of the things that taught me to work much more closely with designers on a regular basis as to a level's specific progressions and mechanics.

I also agree with the folks that think the music itself is outdated. It is! While nice for nostalgia, MODs are dead except in handheld, and we even used a live orchestra to record the main theme for the PS2 version.

I'm definitely flattered and honored that Eidos had a nod to the original theme in the trailer. I'm hoping they'll take the memorable bits from the original games (my personal favorite is the title from DX:IW, for example) and skillfully weave them into DX3, while giving the game a feel all it's own and introducing new themes. I'm excited to see what this game will unfold into.
    Did any of you notice that this is friggin Alex Brandon who helped create the music from Deus Ex and Invisible War??? And no one here has even said so much as hello to him? Anyways big fan of the original music. And if you don't mind if I ask what are you up to now a days?

StromFront, I didn't really think that the music had a midi sound so much as a techno sound. I thought that given the some what futuristic setting, that the music was meant to have a digital or electronic/techno sound. I am not sure if that is what was intended though.

I agree with you that they should be left to do what they want with the music, though I'd like if they gave a wink and a nudge here and there to some of the previous games music. Maybe even something like the original theme song remastered or something.

Originally Posted by Laputin Man
    Did any of you notice that this is friggin Alex Brandon who helped create the music from Deus Ex and Invisible War??? And no one here has even said so much as hello to him? Anyways big fan of the original music. And if you don't mind if I ask what are you up to now a days?

StromFront, I didn't really think that the music had a midi sound so much as a techno sound. I thought that given the some what futuristic setting, that the music was meant to have a digital or electronic/techno sound. I am not sure if that is what was intended though.

I agree with you that they should be left to do what they want with the music, though I'd like if they gave a wink and a nudge here and there to some of the previous games music. Maybe even something like the original theme song remastered or something.
    LOL. Good god, I completely failed to notice!

Good to see you on the forums Alex. I gather from your comments that you are not involved in anyway with this project then?

LOL. Good god, I completely failed to notice!

Good to see you on the forums Alex. I gather from your comments that you are not involved in anyway with this project then?
    I know right? And he was speaking to you directly too. He may not be back after such a poor reception :P Probably thinks we are a big bunch of snobs, lol.

Cool

Originally Posted by Laputin Man
    Did any of you notice that this is friggin Alex Brandon who helped create the music from Deus Ex and Invisible War???
    Damn it, no

Welcome to the forum, Alex. Forgive the lack of hospitality, khe khe..

Most memorable soundtrack in a game I ever experienced. But if it can be done once, it can be done again. DX3 should be different, but I hope they put some good effort into it and make it memorable. By the way, Alex Brandon, who was a developer of the original score for DX1 is a poster on this forum.

The Best music from Deus Ex 1

Is it really him or is it an imposer? (could be...).

Wink

He looks authentic enough to me.

Originally Posted by Xcom
    He looks authentic enough to me.
    I'm sure it's him. Go to his profile and then to his home page link.

Originally Posted by ricwhite
    Most memorable soundtrack in a game I ever experienced. But if it can be done once, it can be done again. DX3 should be different, but I hope they put some good effort into it and make it memorable. By the way, Alex Brandon, who was a developer of the original score for DX1 is a poster on this forum.
    Really? Under what name?

Really? Under what name?
    ..."AlexBrandon"... http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...111#post715111

Originally Posted by van_HellSing
    GOD NO

For the most part, Deus Ex had terrible music. There are some good tracks (UNATCO comes to mind), but the rest... Also, the mod technology made it sound outdated even when the first game premiered, nevermind now.

The main theme ranks high on my "worst game music of all time" list. I cannot help but wonder why some people seem to like it - I guess it's an association thing, nostalgia; it reminds us of Deus Ex, and since DX is awesome, the music eventually managed to develop positive connotations too.
    Wow.

All the songs in it are brilliant, Alex did a fantastic job on it, just like he did with IW and any other game he's worked on (Unreal easily has one of the best soundtracks of any game). I don't know why you think the mod technology makes it sound outdated, though. And I like the Deus Ex theme song because it sounds awesome.

I love the DX1 music, but I don't trust myself on it, it's probably only a nostalgy thing.
    And people, please, PLEASE, please stop thinking that DX3 must resemble DX1 in every way, Or Else. It's stupid, it's not constructive, and it's not gonna happen. Live with it. Or buy yourself UE3 and remake DX1 in it.

That's a good idea, actually...any takers ? ^^

Would be nice to see a remix, or a similar version, to some of the main tunes from DX.

Soundtrack is very important to a game and care a spirit with it, as some1 posted above.

Like the series Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, for instance. Ozar Midrashim is the music of the main character, Raziel.

And the main theme of the first DX is just awesome.

Originally Posted by pKp
    I love the DX1 music, but I don't trust myself on it, it's probably only a nostalgy thing.
    And people, please, PLEASE, please stop thinking that DX3 must resemble DX1 in every way, Or Else. It's stupid, it's not constructive, and it's not gonna happen. Live with it. Or buy yourself UE3 and remake DX1 in it.

That's a good idea, actually...any takers ? ^^
    It's already happening with UT2004, no reason why it can't happen with UT3.

Page 2 of 41 First First 12345612 ... Last