Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... Last

Thread: DX:HR SOUNDTRACK - Composer - MICHAEL McCANN - All Discussion

DX:HR SOUNDTRACK - Composer - MICHAEL McCANN - All Discussion

Thumbs Up DX:HR SOUNDTRACK - Composer - MICHAEL McCANN - All Discussion

*Moderator Edit*

SOUNDTRACK COMPOSER
    The composer is the great Michael McCann!
    Award-winning composer and sound designer Michael McCann aka Behavior (ReGenesis, Splinter Cell: Double Agent), best known for his ambient cinematic scores and organic soundscapes, is creating the original musical score for DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION. The music captures the unique visual style of DX:HR and thematically supports the blend of action, role-playing and adventure genres featured in the game. To immerse players in the dark and beautifully visualized world of the game, the score fuses elements of cybernoir, futuristic renaissance and electrosymphonic ambience.

http://www.behaviormusic.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/michaelmccann_
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michae...15770085132360
    __

UPDATES

DX:HR Original Soundtrack Download

From Eidos Montréal Twitter / November 2011

The DX:HR soundtrack is now available for purchase and download in digital form. amzn.to/w1Laqt
    Which track is your favorite?
    http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Revolu.../dp/B005TWSQ1E

CGI Trailer Soundtrack Available for Download!

Originally Posted by Tecman
    Try http://www.deusex.com/news/dxhr-cgi-trailer-soundtrack instead?
    edit: Nevermind, the link to the actual file is broken. Here, you're free to use http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx3/deusex-hr-cgi-trailer.mp3 instead.
    Soundtrack is to be found on the "extras" DVD

FAQs

You get the soundtrack with the Augmented Edition of Deus Ex Human Revolution.

It is not yet known if another will be sold separately with more tracks.

* end of moderator edit *

___

I think that one of the strongest points about Deus Ex, over most of this world's games, is that it had an outstandingly good ambient music.

And this music, is what gave the game its "movie" nature. You kinda feel you are playing a movie, not a game, i.e: very immersing!

So i urge the developers, to make it good this time.

I trust Alex Brandon and the rest of the team.

Edit: I found his email, it's: abrandon@midway.com Let's send him a request!
    JOE®

Originally Posted by MagnumJoe
    I think that one of the strongest points about Deus Ex, over most of this world's games, is that it had an outstandingly good ambient music.

And this music, is what gave the game its "movie" nature. You kinda feel you are playing a movie, not a game, i.e: very immersing!

So i urge the developers, to make it good this time.

I trust Alex Brandon and the rest of the team.

Swings and roundabouts though. While I liked the music and still get goosebumps when I hear the main theme like any DX fan, I often wished it would shut the hell up. Having a continuous jungle track that just played along merrily was deeply annoying (esp. Hong Kong! GAH!). Hopefully something more subtle and refined can be implemented with a newer engine (though I still wish the cheap skates had shelled for UEng 3...)

I really liked the HK themes. Hope it isn't any more subtle than in DX.
    I have confident in the dev team too. Everything you hear or see about this project sounds/looks good.

Originally Posted by gamer0004
    I really liked the HK themes. Hope it isn't any more subtle than in DX.
    I have confident in the dev team too. Everything you hear or see about this project sounds/looks good.

Other than the teaser clip and the engine, we know nothing about this game. Nothing.

We also know not one thing about the team as it is newly formed and this is their first game.

On what is your confidence based, pray tell?

Originally Posted by StormFront
    Having a continuous jungle track that just played along merrily was deeply annoying.
    But i think at this stage of the game, it had to be merry, or somewhat merry: because it was like.. a payback start. Like the NYC2 theme: that one is very expressive.

It's a track that gives you optimism about your future plans for the world, and gives you security about the place too: you don't need to lurk much in HK.

And also, once you get in Versalife or the canal, it switches to the dark side at once!

I find this track perfect

But i appreciate your opinion: i admit it, sometimes it felt stupid with it playing all the time: it actually distracted me sometimes.

Other than the teaser clip and the engine, we know nothing about this game. Nothing.

We also know not one thing about the team as it is newly formed and this is their first game.

On what is your confidence based, pray tell?
    On what they've said so far. Everything they say in interviews sounds well-conceived (relatively small teams and such), I think the choice of the engine was good (looks like they aim at good gameplay than good graphics) and the trailer is, after you've carefully watched it, great and really DX-like.
    Every piece of information so far has been good (not that it means a lot, of course they can still screw it up).

(not that it means a lot, of course they can still screw it up).
    O boy: that's a thriller!

On what they've said so far. Everything they say in interviews sounds well-conceived (relatively small teams and such), I think the choice of the engine was good (looks like they aim at good gameplay than good graphics) and the trailer is, after you've carefully watched it, great and really DX-like.
    Every piece of information so far has been good (not that it means a lot, of course they can still screw it up).
    Going for gameplay over graphics? With THAT engine. The engine for which we had to wait an entire generation of graphics cards in order to play it? And they plan to UPGRADE it? Gameplay OVER graphics? You sure?

I ment gamaplay above graphics...

Gameplay OVER graphics? You sure?
    Graphics, can't by any means, make me accept a game with bad gameplay.

I can withstand bad graphics, when gameplay is good,
    but i can never withstand bad gameplay, even if graphics are super!

Deus Ex 1 had superb music!!! It was one of my fovourite soundtracks in the game selection! The NY theme, gloomy, darkish, Hong Kong track was great imho, overall the music contributed so much atmosphere to the game it was impressive.
    But then came DX2. I was shocked to find that after finishing the entire game I didn't remember a single track. It was all there in the background, totally ambiental, no it wasnt even ambiental it was like the music wasnt even there... one of biggest dissapointemets...
    So I suggest that DX3 music goes back to its roots!

I am with you comy...

Hold up, I think my post is being missinterpreted. I loved the Deus Ex music too, however there was too much of it IMO. By this I mean that it did not need to play all the time, over and over. I liked that each level had a theme; that was very atmospheric. However I wish there had been more ambient music about the place (tragically a little like IW, but that is not a popular example).

No doubt we will get something quite different musically as the team is not using any version of the UEng which was the defining factor of the Deus Ex music

Cold, cyberpunk, partly industrial. I believe that's a good recipé for DeusEx.

(Well, depends on the whole theme of the game... We all remember, DX1 was dark, night-time, misterious, empty, and we all love it because of it.)

Hold up, I think my post is being missinterpreted. I loved the Deus Ex music too, however there was too much of it IMO. By this I mean that it did not need to play all the time, over and over. I liked that each level had a theme; that was very atmospheric. However I wish there had been more ambient music about the place (tragically a little like IW, but that is not a popular example).

No doubt we will get something quite different musically as the team is not using any version of the UEng which was the defining factor of the Deus Ex music
    Ah, i get you.

Yup loved the DX 1 music. As for ambient sound, that was pretty good too. I remember listening to the sound of mj12 troopers boots on metal, sure did it for me and put right there in the middle of the action.

Keep The Music From Dx 1

Best video game score ever.

GOD NO

For the most part, Deus Ex had terrible music. There are some good tracks (UNATCO comes to mind), but the rest... Also, the mod technology made it sound outdated even when the first game premiered, nevermind now.

The main theme ranks high on my "worst game music of all time" list. I cannot help but wonder why some people seem to like it - I guess it's an association thing, nostalgia; it reminds us of Deus Ex, and since DX is awesome, the music eventually managed to develop positive connotations too.

Arrow

A matter of preference, I guess, van_HellSing. Personally I loved pretty much all the music in the first game.

Joseph Manderley's Corpse: I don't know if you meant reusing the exact same music, although I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Maybe reuse/adapt one or two pieces where relevant, but not the whole score.

I'd say new music would be needed, but I do think that it should be in the same style as that in the first game. The music in IW wasn't that memorable IMO, and the only IW music I like listening to except the Kidney Thieves songs were the few short pieces that sampled melodies from the first game. I get the approach they were going for in IW, with more natural "atmospheric" music, but I just don't feel it lived up to Hong Kong's awesome oriental tunage or the comfortably familiar tones of the UNATCO HQ. Many is the time I find myself humming along to the music when playing through DX1, something that for the most part I found impossible to do with IW.

Originally Posted by van_HellSing
    GOD NO

For the most part, Deus Ex had terrible music. There are some good tracks (UNATCO comes to mind), but the rest... Also, the mod technology made it sound outdated even when the first game premiered, nevermind now.

The main theme ranks high on my "worst game music of all time" list. I cannot help but wonder why some people seem to like it - I guess it's an association thing, nostalgia; it reminds us of Deus Ex, and since DX is awesome, the music eventually managed to develop positive connotations too.
    It goes to familiarity I guess. If you played HL2, you can't help but notice that the sound effects are the same as the original. The entire franchise is like that.
    Did you check out the DX3 teaser? Tell me hearing that theme didn't get your attention...

My thoughts

Wow. I'm glad so many were fond of the soundtrack. StormFront, I do have to agree with you. Deus Ex had some good themes and a strong overall musical identity, but the repetition was indeed annoying. Back in those days we didn't pay as much attention to gameplay time against music length. It was more about "eh, two minutes should suffice for this entire level, as long as we have combat and exploration", but if exploration lasted a lot longer than combat, etc.. It's one of the things that taught me to work much more closely with designers on a regular basis as to a level's specific progressions and mechanics.

I also agree with the folks that think the music itself is outdated. It is! While nice for nostalgia, MODs are dead except in handheld, and we even used a live orchestra to record the main theme for the PS2 version.

I'm definitely flattered and honored that Eidos had a nod to the original theme in the trailer. I'm hoping they'll take the memorable bits from the original games (my personal favorite is the title from DX:IW, for example) and skillfully weave them into DX3, while giving the game a feel all it's own and introducing new themes. I'm excited to see what this game will unfold into.

Yup, it did give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. But I was glad it was just the beggining ambient tones rather than the main melody

As cheesy as it was, I loved the music from the original. Even mentioning the words "Deus Ex" immediately starts the music in my head. When I cover modern China in my history classes, I have the Hong Kong music in my head. I will NEVER forget the music from the first game. I can't remember a single song from the second, however.

Well the soundtrack from Deus Ex 1 was really cool (I like to listen to it even when i don't play DX1). I think it would be great to hear the music again in situations that have something to do with DX1. I could imagine that this would be a nice effect concerning the atmosphere.

Music is one of those things that carries a spirit with it. Anyone remember how ghostly it was going through JC's UNATCO memory in Deus Ex: Invisible War? For such a short game moment it was really quite impacting. I highly agree with the Topic Starter.

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... Last