Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Poor to zero frame rates

Poor to zero frame rates

Poor to zero frame rates

Seeing as I didn't get any joy in the other post, thought I'd repost here seeing as the keyboard fix that seems to have helped some people has not worked for me.

Suffering from really poor frame rate and game lag when i zoom in my sights but at its worst in the nightclub section. If I turn my POV towards the crowd the game hangs forever. If I aim my POV at the floor frame rate improves slightly.
    The cutscences lag as well missing out huge sections, sound drops out so all I can hear is the ambient sound (most of the time) 30 seconds later it seems to catch up with itself, it'll be fine then bang starts again.

Nothing changes when I run the game with all the settings low or turned off.

I'm all out of ideas as I've tried everything suggested by people on the forums.

Very fed up now that my rig can run Crysis and Bioshock maxed out and yet it can't run K&L

My specs:
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, MMX Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Page File: 340MB used, 3599MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
    Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.
    Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: All tests were successful.
    Music Tab: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.
    Network Tab: No problems found.

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 640.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: SoundMAX HD Audio
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Manufacturer ID: 65535
    Product ID: 65535
    Type: WDM
    Registry: OK
    Sound Test Result: All tests were successful.

Sorry to hear it wasn't the keyboard issue.

Thanks for the info and your patience. I'll flag this up to the dev guys with priority.

Cheers

Hey Dr Phaust!

What mouse are you using? (Yes, I'm seriously asking about your mouse heh. Others have actually found believe it or not, that a USB (wireless & non-wireless) mouse has been causing the same bug as the keyboard issue.

When the bug occurs, try yanking out your mouse, see if the framerate improves. If so, post up the exact brand/model of your mouse and I'll add it to my sticky thread up at the top!

Originally Posted by Takai29
    Hey Dr Phaust!

What mouse are you using? (Yes, I'm seriously asking about your mouse heh. Others have actually found believe it or not, that a USB (wireless & non-wireless) mouse has been causing the same bug as the keyboard issue.

When the bug occurs, try yanking out your mouse, see if the framerate improves. If so, post up the exact brand/model of your mouse and I'll add it to my sticky thread up at the top!
    I tried it and it didn't work No change what so ever.
    But thanks for the ideas Takai I'm grateful for the help

Ok two suggestions;

http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia/win2k_xp.php

Try those drivers for your video. Omega Drivers are optimized specifically for gaming. I've used them myself and they're quite good (and stable).

The second one is to try reloading your audio drivers, I've noticed a few issues being reported by people using the SoundMax ADI (AC'97) audio system. I'm guessing you're using th native windows sound drivers?

Check if you're mainboard manufacturer has an updated AC'97 (SoundMax ADI) driver.

Well we've got a small result.
    Updated the drivers and played the first chapter. Cutscenes were running fine.
    Settings still set to low and the game runs fine until I hit any big areas and the frame rate takes a dive. Managed to muddle threw if I aim my pov at the ground the frame rate comes back and gives me chance to get out of that area.
    (dounut shop area being the worst)
    Also noticed the smoke effects, tear gas and such are all messed up. They keep flickering black.

But all in all, its running slightly better than 3 days ago. So we're slowly getting there

Originally Posted by Dr_Phaust
    Well we've got a small result.
    Updated the drivers and played the first chapter. Cutscenes were running fine.
    Settings still set to low and the game runs fine until I hit any big areas and the frame rate takes a dive. Managed to muddle threw if I aim my pov at the ground the frame rate comes back and gives me chance to get out of that area.
    (dounut shop area being the worst)
    Also noticed the smoke effects, tear gas and such are all messed up. They keep flickering black.

But all in all, its running slightly better than 3 days ago. So we're slowly getting there
    The flickering black could be related to using those non official drivers.

You've got the AMD dual core, have you installed the optimizer?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html Second option down is for the AMD Dual Core Optimizer (designed for gamers!)

[QUOTE=jaycw2309;709386]The flickering black could be related to using those non official drivers.
    QUOTE]

Sorry I forgot to say that I've only updated with the official nvidia drivers, but no I haven't got the AMD optimizer, I'll give it a go thanks

[QUOTE=Dr_Phaust;709392]
    Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    The flickering black could be related to using those non official drivers.
    QUOTE]

Sorry I forgot to say that I've only updated with the official nvidia drivers, but no I haven't got the AMD optimizer, I'll give it a go thanks
    Good luck

AMD optimizer installed
    K&L running maxed out like a dream.
    Little bit of screen tearing at times but I can most def live with that.

Big thanks to everyone that lent a hand

AMD optimizer installed
    K&L running maxed out like a dream.
    Little bit of screen tearing at times but I can most def live with that.

Big thanks to everyone that lent a hand
    Sweeet Enjoy

:* )

Nope, spoke too soon. Got into the night club fine this time, got the girl but as soon as the section "Concentrate Lynch" started the game crapped out again and I'm back to how I was.

This game is seriously bugged

Nope, spoke too soon. Got into the night club fine this time, got the girl but as soon as the section "Concentrate Lynch" started the game crapped out again and I'm back to how I was.

This game is seriously bugged
    So it was fine, then suddenly frame rate dropped? If you quit to desktop, reload the game and then restart the level is the performance okay?

yeah just tried.
    Got to the girl fine again but the frame rate dies as I'm making my way through the club to the exit. I didn't even get to the start of the sub chapter this time.

yeah just tried.
    Got to the girl fine again but the frame rate dies as I'm making my way through the club to the exit. I didn't even get to the start of the sub chapter this time.
    but performance up to this point was vastly improved after the optimizer installed?

(sorry if going on, just trying to build up a picture in my mind how things are going/or not as case maybe)

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    but performance up to this point was vastly improved after the optimizer installed?

(sorry if going on, just trying to build up a picture in my mind how things are going/or not as case maybe)
    not that fine, don't worry. Yes the optimizer vastly improved the games performance. Its just having problems with something in the nightclub.
    I've tired again with all the settings on low and its still the same.

not that fine, don't worry. Yes the optimizer vastly improved the games performance. Its just having problems with something in the nightclub.
    I've tired again with all the settings on low and its still the same.
    Phaust, wondering if you're now getting caught by the keyboard/mouse bug like the rest of us? When you get into the nightclub now and hit the framerate drop, now try pulling out that USB keyboard and tell me if it improves again.

Originally Posted by Takai29
    Phaust, wondering if you're now getting caught by the keyboard/mouse bug like the rest of us? When you get into the nightclub now and hit the framerate drop, now try pulling out that USB keyboard and tell me if it improves again.
    Just tired it, keyboard and mouse. No change.

Its now locking up when we're in the office kidnapping the girl. I can't look in Lynch's direction while he's tapping her up. If i turn away its fine. Headed out into the nightclub and it hits again.

Just tired it, keyboard and mouse. No change.

Its now locking up when we're in the office kidnapping the girl. I can't look in Lynch's direction while he's tapping her up. If i turn away its fine. Headed out into the nightclub and it hits again.
    At this point I would suggest giving those Omega Drivers a shot and see if they correct the problem. I don't think you've got any compatibility issues, but it could be a problem with the games driver interface. Possibility, but a long shot of course. Again as I say to everyone, worst case -- you just update back to the latest nVidia drivers no problem.

Windows XP/2000 Omega Drivers for nVidia Cards

Installed the drivers, no joy I'm afraid

Installed the drivers, not joy I'm afraid
    Hmmm ... This is definitely a tough one

Well I've found the problem, its the sound.

whenever there is a hefty dialogue exchange between K&L which is over a music que or loop (+heavy ambience) I get the lag.
    I've updated my soundcard drivers, updated the OpenAl thingy driver and turned off most of my soundcard options.

Made it through the nightclub fine this time only to have it start on the next chapter when we're under the freeway. I'd just cleaned out the snipers, making my way to the van when K&L start *ing at each other. Music started and it all locks up.

It was the same for the nightclub before I tweaked around.

*Waves at the Dev dudes* Any ideas?

Well I've found the problem, its the sound.

whenever there is a hefty dialogue exchange between K&L which is over a music que or loop (+heavy ambience) I get the lag.
    I've updated my soundcard drivers, updated the OpenAl thingy driver and turned off most of my soundcard options.

Made it through the nightclub fine this time only to have it start on the next chapter when we're under the freeway. I'd just cleaned out the snipers, making my way to the van when K&L start *ing at each other. Music started and it all locks up.

It was the same for the nightclub before I tweaked around.

*Waves at the Dev dudes* Any ideas?
    What is your device set to for Audio? OpenAL? Directsound?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last