Thread: Axis & Allies

Axis & Allies

Axis & Allies

I was wondering if any of you have heard/played this game(or one of its many spinn offs). I'm thinknig of getting it, but was looking for some opinions.
    NOTE: This is a Board game, not one of the PC versions.

Thanks for your help!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

i have it but it in some ways hard to play

i heard of it bhut i don't have it

Smile

I have it.

I got it for my birthday a while ago, and I don't regret it. One thing though: it takes me an hour to set up the pieces (or 30 min....maybe even 10 if you are fast) and it can get boring when you are playing with yourself! Yep. I have mostly played withmyself. I don't believe I have ever finished the game but I do like it. There is just something about it that draws you in....especially when it is your turn to go...so many posibilities, so many concequences.

There are many different versions of Axis & Allies (if I remember right). If I had a digital camera or something I would take a picture and post it on here but I don't.
    There is an old version (that doesn't seem to have all the details.)

There is my version (has people on the front with some ships and infantry and armour and aircraft (on the front box cover thing))

There is also a Pacific version, though I have not benable to find it again.
    It covers from the West coast of the USA (I think) to.....somewhere off westward....I think to Russia and the West end of China.

There may be a European version.....infact I think there is. Can't tell you about that one.

If you don't have alot of time and space and you have random people you don't like living with you that would screw everything up and don't give you time (or if you have too many kids and no one to play with) then I wouldn't......well....

I'd still recamend it I think. I have downloaded the Axis and Allies demo and played the PC game.....it does the board game no honor! I thought it would be much better after getting Axis and Allies (board game). Then again I didn't hear about it until much later.

To be honest the game has many posibilities. If you don't feel like playing by the rules or even using a board....you can still play with the pieces!
    ....seriously! It has been fun for me to play with those little ships and aircraft carriers and "artillary" (suppose to be AA in game) and the bombers with those little fighters!

Haven't done it for a while but If you have anybody around you who likes strategy and not just "simple" things like risk.....then you and him/her will have a blast I think. Especially if you have some kind of "fan club" (or friends) for WWII things and strategy.

I hope this obsessive blabbering has helped you in some way. If you want me to explain the game I will. It has a 39 page manual plus some strategy thing but It is not complicated at all.

Edit: PS: When I meant "details" (in "it doesn't seem to have all the details") I think I need to restate that....some way: I think it has most all of the feature though the pieces were different; it just didn't seem to have all of the "regions" if I remember correctly. I just think they changed the color and shape of some things though and that is it.
    http://i18.tinypic.com/6x1th5x.jpg

^^^^^Crazyhorse's crazy awsome sig^^^^^^^^^

Thanks, I bought 3 of them in a pack on Ebay! I got orig. 1984 Axis & Allies, A&A: Pacific, and A&A: D-Day. I think they have 3 others(A&A: Europe, A&A: Battle of the Buldge, and A&A: Guadalcanal). They have some of them brand new here... http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?pa...xis+%26+Allies

Also, there are 2 video games, one in '98, which is just like the board game, and one in '04, this one was a RTS.

I bought this game some 20 years ago but my dumb a$$ friends could never get into playing it, so I've never played a full game. It's still in my closet. I got the '98 PC game, but that gets stupid when playing AI. I looked on line to find people to play but it hard to find people in a local area. There are forums (do a search) for people to discuss the game and even to hook up to play via email. Yes people are playing the board game over the internet via email, like chess. But since I never played out a full game I felt it might be rude to start asking them to help me so I could play. Maybe some of us could get some games going while waiting for BS2. You have to understand that this is not a game you play in a day or two over the internet. It would be like playing chess like the real gamers do. You make a move, your opponent records the move, makes his move then emails back. They have some software for rolling dice for both people.
    I know I'm a little old, but not too old, but back in the day, I mean the 50's and 60's before I came into this world, there were hardcore chess players. Some of these people are still playing via the mail. I don't know if some of you might remember but back in the day some shopping malls use to have areas with tables for people to play chess, and some would play for days at a time. I mean the real hardcore players.
    I have a copy of the '98 version. If we could have a FTP site or bit torrent trade and I could make an ISO file if anybody wanted to play, I'm in!
    I love strategy games. That's the reason I stay on this forum. I hope Eidos will deliver on the next version of the ultimate strategy-first person shooter game.
    But if any of you wish to play, PM or Xfire me(texvindictive). This is a brain game. Your not going to learn and play in one night. It takes patience and time. you have to learn how to lose in order to learn how to win. But that goes with everything, if you have the patience.

The '98 version is supposed to be rare/hard to get. If I had the '98 I'd play...

Originally Posted by xgamerms999
    The '98 version is supposed to be rare/hard to get. If I had the '98 I'd play...
    Get with me on xFire.

What is xfire? And I don't have the '98 game.
    Also, my board games got in from the guy from ebay. Although it said "complete games", I am missisng 3 minor pieces, and 1 I need to play 1984 Axis & Allies, and 2 minor for Axis & Allies: D-Day. Axis & Allies: Pacific looks like all is good though. I hope I didn't miss count...

I have the A&A minatures game War at Sea, and its a blast

Thanks for the input guys, now I just have to hope the guy can replace the stuff (exspecaily the REQUIRED ones) I am have Hasbro send me a brochure of things they can replace, but seeing as the Axis & Allies (1984) was made by Milton Bradly.

Seller sent me pieces missing! Unfortionatly, 2 of the pieces are a dif. color than mine, but will sufice!