Thread: (PC) K&L hangs every 3 seconds

(PC) K&L hangs every 3 seconds

I'm curious; there is a line in the main.ini file have you guys removed the line that says:

UseGameController

-- Prior to this, if I loaded the game it would completely lockup after pressing 'Space' at the load screen. Once I removed that line, the lockups ceased. Wondering if this 'usb' issue has something to do with a controller interface bug due to the interfacing with Microsoft's XBOX style controller. Thinking maybe once in a while the game 'glitches' and starts trying to load up/look for or otherwise access this controller if its not present and thus framerate drops.

Some friends I've talked to that aren't experiencing this, all have the controller, and when they unhooked it and tried going keyboard/mouse began experiencing this. Just decided to have them do some testing for me ... That's right, use your friends!

Originally Posted by moerl

I think I'll try to find a USB to PS/2 serial converter and try to plug my keyboard in using the serial port. I don't even know if my mobo still has a serial port.. but it should. Oh btw, I have an Eclipse Saitek II keyboard.

My mobo is based on Intel's P35 chipset.
    Your motherboard has 1 PS/2 connection , i have the same model.
    I found an old converter lying around so i can at least start playing one of these days.

Originally Posted by Takai29
    I'm curious; there is a line in the main.ini file have you guys removed the line that says:

UseGameController

-- Prior to this, if I loaded the game it would completely lockup after pressing 'Space' at the load screen. Once I removed that line, the lockups ceased. Wondering if this 'usb' issue has something to do with a controller interface bug due to the interfacing with Microsoft's XBOX style controller. Thinking maybe once in a while the game 'glitches' and starts trying to load up/look for or otherwise access this controller if its not present and thus framerate drops.

Some friends I've talked to that aren't experiencing this, all have the controller, and when they unhooked it and tried going keyboard/mouse began experiencing this. Just decided to have them do some testing for me ... That's right, use your friends!
    So what's the bottom line here? If you remove that line from main.ini, can you play the game without the stutters? Or do you still get them?

Originally Posted by moerl
    So what's the bottom line here? If you remove that line from main.ini, can you play the game without the stutters? Or do you still get them?
    Well, I have the line removed and get the stutters, but I'm wondering if everyone getting the stutters has removed that line? (I removed it as I couldn't get the game to even load without a controller with that line in the main.ini)

Curious to see if people leave it in (that are able to load the game and are NOT using the controller) are they still getting the framerate drop?

Edit: The friends I had go keyboard/mouse didn't have that line in their ini to even remove, so not sure why it showed up in my ini.

ah brilliant well hopefully we'll get a fix i unplugged my saiteck eclipse usb keyboard and the stuttering stopped

I also have a Saitek Eclipse keyboard - I'm going to try and switch it to the PS/2 connector and see if that works, like everyone else. What a goofy bug, if that's really the problem. A game conflicting with a basic keyboard? Wow. The only special things this has on it is volume controls, really...oh, and it lights up. Maybe the game is incompatible with the brand of LEDs Saitek uses

Well, hopefully, if this is the problem, support can come up with a solution.

My system config:

Windows XP Pro 32Bit

Intel C2D E6600 @ 2.4GHz
    4GB RAM (4x1GB DDR2 PC6400 Corsair Twin)
    2x74GB WD Raptor (Raid - Stripe) - For boot+game
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe I975X
    768MB BFG 8800GTX
    16x Pioneer DVR-111D

Logitech Cordless diNovo Edge Bluetooth

Logitech MX Revolution Laser Cordless

I had the same stutter problem as all of you guys, and i've just plugged in my old CYCON PS2 keyboard, and now the stutter is gone

I have not edited my main.ini file, so i have the line:
    "
    UseGameController
    GamePadMode 1
    "

Hope this info can help in the quest to get usb-keyboard to work (wired or cordless)

For now i'll have the old PS2 Keyboard not far from me..

Cheers

I Have A Normal Micro$oft USB Keyboard, G15 Keyboard, G7 Mouse, Habu Mouse And A Logitech MX Revolotion All USB!!! Guess I'm Screwed = I Did Try An Adapter On The Keyboards The G15 Wouldnt Even Come To Life. The Micro$oft USB Keyboard Did Work But Didn't Solve Any Issues. I Still have The DT's !! I Also Unplugged Everything USB - Nope Still No Luck - Going To try It On My Laptop - Its A Dual Core But Has An ATi X2300 Not A Great Card But It Also Can Play COD4 - I Cant Und£r$tand Why $o Many Company$ Ru$h Out The $oftwar£ B£for£ It$ Fin$h£d

Ohh As For Optical Drives

1 Sata Pioneer DVD-RW
    1 Pata Pioneer DVD-RW

well it be sods law that this doesn't work for me. I still can't move around in the nightclub.

The problem isn't with all USB keyboards apparently - My keyboard is a Saitek Eclipse, not an Eclipse II, sorry for the mistake - but just with certain ones. My Eclipse won't work when hooked up with a PS/2 adapter so I loaded up an old behemoth Logitech multimedia keyboard, and hooked that up through USB, and the stutter is gone, completely. A temporary fix, of course, but like some others have said, at least it solves the issue for some of us. I wonder if there are mice or other peripherals than keyboards that are causing the issue as well.

Originally Posted by Metzger 0528
    The problem isn't with all USB keyboards apparently - My keyboard is a Saitek Eclipse, not an Eclipse II, sorry for the mistake - but just with certain ones. My Eclipse won't work when hooked up with a PS/2 adapter so I loaded up an old behemoth Logitech multimedia keyboard, and hooked that up through USB, and the stutter is gone, completely. A temporary fix, of course, but like some others have said, at least it solves the issue for some of us. I wonder if there are mice or other peripherals than keyboards that are causing the issue as well.
    I also have a Saitek Eclipse (red led ) as soon as i unplugged it, problem solved. so i guess i have to take out the old dusty ps/2 keyboard...are there usb/ps/2 convertors out there, would the lights still work? i hope they come out with a patch to fix this soon.

I think we found our cause

I have the Saitek Eclipse II USB keyboard as well (I keep mine set to blue ).

It seems majority of the people having this issue are all using Saitek or other higher end keyboards. Which lends to the possibility it has issues with 'specific' keyboards.

Has anyone with the Saitek Eclipse II keyboard plugged it in using a USB -> PS/2 adapter and had any measure of success or is switching to a PS/2 keyboard all together the only solution at this time?

I also have a Saitek eclipse. When i unplugged it the stuttering stopped.. The weird thing is I have the previous saitek eclipse version as well and when i plugged that one in I didnt get any stuttering so at least i can finaly play.

Wow.. well we've got a ton of confirmations here. The keyboard, hooked up via USB, seems to be the issue. And then only *some* keyboards at that.. what the hell?

I don't have a second keyboard lying around and I also don't have a USB to PS/2 converter, so I guess I'm still out of luck. But hey, at least we've nailed the issue down.

I'm still surprised though.. how would anyone think to unplug the damn keyboard to test this? This must have been a pretty crazy stroke of luck..

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Originally Posted by Takai29
    Wow that's an interesting thing to try! I'm definitely going to try it, if that's the case it could mean a bug with the chipset driver interface within the game. Never heard of a game having an issue like that before!

I'm curious, what chipsets do your mainboards have?

Actually pacific Storm also had this issue although it was the joystick and not the keyboard.

lol, so sorry for your woes peeps. I bought the game, installed it, and found that in order to do coop, I had to have a pc360 or pc3 console to play it. lol, sorry, I am a pc gamer, not a console gamer, and I use a mouse, not a gamepad. And as a pc gamer, playing a game made in the year 2007, I do not play splitscreen on my pc360.

I bought it at bestbuy, and they bought it back 2 days later.

I had no problems running the game on my setup:
    e6600
    evga 8800gtx
    4gb ram
    intel 975xbx2 mobo
    logitech g5 usb
    enermax aurora usb keyboard

I will tell my bud about the usb issue, as he hangs 3 secs, and has a saitek kb. Here are 2 possible fixes that I have used in the past for different things related to usb.

First is a registry fix. Be sure to backup the value before you change it if it exists already.

Code:
    ; Increase the USB Polling Interval
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Usb\0000]
    "IdleEnable"=dword:00000001
    And next is a different sort of tool to do the same thing. It changes the usb driver if I recall correctly. Here is the link.
    http://majorgeeks.com/USB_Mouserate_Switcher_d4469.html

Good luck with this game.
    MrWoo

Yes i think its realy time for a patch (excelent work 3 days after German release)
    This 50 bucks expensive piece of woun´t run on my pc

AMD Athlon X2 64bit 4000+
    4 GB RAM
    G-Force 9500 GS
    Windows XP 32bit

Game runs to first loadsequence then it hangs extreamly.

Same issue with my G15 keyboard

Hmm very interesting. All our keyboards here are a mixture of PS/2 and USB.

We have some logitech G11's and they not having any issues.

Will see if can find a G15 keyboard and check it out here and see if get same issue. If we do THEN we have a basis for finding a game based fix. Its almost certainly the drivers used for these devices which is causing a clash with the game in some way.

I'm experiencing the same issues and I'm running on a Dell Dimension E520 with the Dell Keyboard.

I'm running on Vista Home Premium Edition
    Intel Core 2 Duo 4300 1.80ghz
    2046 Mo of RAM
    GeForce 8600 GTS

only USB ports to plug my keyboard.

and I'd love to have a clue.

Originally Posted by chrisk
    I'm experiencing the same issues and I'm running on a Dell Dimension E520 with the Dell Keyboard.

I'm running on Vista Home Premium Edition
    Intel Core 2 Duo 4300 1.80ghz
    2046 Mo of RAM
    GeForce 8600 GTS

only USB ports to plug my keyboard.

and I'd love to have a clue.
    Next you'll be telling me it has no floppy drive.

Gotta love Dell for assuming it doesnt need somethings

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    Hmm very interesting. All our keyboards here are a mixture of PS/2 and USB.

We have some logitech G11's and they not having any issues.

Will see if can find a G15 keyboard and check it out here and see if get same issue. If we do THEN we have a basis for finding a game based fix. Its almost certainly the drivers used for these devices which is causing a clash with the game in some way.
    Jay, if I might make a suggestion ... It seems the problem presents more with the Saitek Eclipse II keyboards (as we've seen in this thread, a lot of the people posting with the problem are using this keyboard), testing with this particular keyboard may also yield the ability re-produce the issue.

The other challenge is as you said, driver related.

Some products here do not have driver downloads as they use either a driver that is in the list already in Windows (gameport-connected products) or use a driver that Windows installs for you when they are plugged in (USB-connected products).

No Drivers Available

No Drivers Available
    That's from the Saitek website. The Eclipse II doesn't have re-distributable drivers. It uses the native Windows driver which means upgrading drivers and such is generally not viable since the only driver you could really 'upgrade' would be the USB host driver, which is rarely ever updated, Microsoft doesn't usually supply these drivers (they support generic native windows drivers), the mainboard manufacturers don't even supply these drivers, they're usually bundled into the mainboard driver disk but provided by the chipset manufacturer (VIA, Intel, SIS, etc) and much like Creative Labs ... (much to our dismay), rarely produce maintence releases to fix bugs, the only one I've seen that actually does is nVidia with their nForce chipsets (kudos nVidia!)

Does the Saitek keyboards have lots of extra functions on them

I know the Logitech G15 has a clock and links to outlook and all that kinda thing displayed on an LCD screen ON the keyboard..

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    Does the Saitek keyboards have lots of extra functions on them

I know the Logitech G15 has a clock and links to outlook and all that kinda thing displayed on an LCD screen ON the keyboard..
    Basic multi-media functions ... Play/Pause, and Volume Control. That's about it, nothing extensively fancy. What makes them so good is the product quality (ok and the cool glowy LED's too).

I'm using a Logitech UltraX Media Keyboard.
    Media button , Play/pause , Mute , Favorites , E-mail , WWW and the normal keys off course

Page 3 of 5 First First 12345 Last