Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: PC Version - Random Crashes

PC Version - Random Crashes

PC Version - Random Crashes

I am unable to play the PC version of this game at all. Has anyone else experienced any similar issues, and if so is there a workaround?

Here is what I submitted to Eidos Support:

I am unable to play the game at all. I receive random crashes. I receive more than one crash dialog. Sometimes (it seems random when I do or do not receive it) I get this one:

Title: Unknown (forgot to write it down, but it says something like 'kaneandlynch.exe has experienced an error' or 'an error has occurred')
    Content: The instruction at "0x00499ea5" referenced memory at "0x0f9eb790". The memory could not be "read".

It then asks me to click 'ok' to exit or 'cancel to debug'.

The next error message appears every single time I get a crash.

Title:Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Content: Runtime Error! Program: C:P... R6025 - pure virtual function call

I can then select 'ok'. When I do I see this error box:

Title: kanenadlynch.exe - Application Error
    Content: The exception unknown software exception (0x400000015) occurred in the application at location 0x00440fc3. Click on OK to terminate the program.

This third error message references the exact same memory location each time, no exceptions.

I cannot alt-tab back into the game. Nothing I do except click 'ok' seems to matter. This happens completely randomly. Sometimes it occurs in-game, sometimes in the main menu when I am not doing anything, sometimes when I am entering information in the 'Windows Live' dialog. I have no idea what triggers it.

I am using Nvidia beta drivers 169.09. I have also tried with the 'latest' WHQL version, which is 163.75. I receive the same error with both sets of drivers.

I have the most up to date versions of my motherboard and sound drivers. I have completely removed/uninstalled all antivirus and software firewalls. I have a bare minimum of running processes. I have run 'Memtest' for an extended period of time and my RAM has no errors reported. For reference (even though they are not your games), I can play Crysis and Stranglehold without any issues whatsoever. This is a 'Kane and Lynch' issue exclusively.

I have seen a few posts on various forums indicating that it might be a Windows Live issue.

I am extremely unhappy. I have purchased this product and now I am not able to play it at all in any capacity. If this issue is not resolved in a timely manner then I will most definitely be avoiding Eidos products in the future and definitely telling all who will listen to avoid them as well.

Please advise.
    I have tried a workaround with creating a Hotmail account before registering in-game and then having it download some kind of update, and it lets me put in the CD key, but nothing changes. I still receive random crashes.

Help?

EDIT: Well, I found a workaround. If I get a no-cd crack and play like normal I still receive the error, but it now allows me to alt-tab back into the game and continue playing as if nothing has happened. As far as I can tell there are no other issues once I do this.

Pretty crazy that I need to get a crack in order to play the game at all.

It seems I have the same problem. I tried using my 360 controller for the game and chaging video setting from meduim to high.

Its just as you said, I need a a freakin no cd crack for a game I bought.

I would like the update. Im using windows vista Ultimate.

In vista you don't the error name or whats the problem all you know is there's a problem and vista in its mightiness has reclaimed your computer. lol

Did you try playing the game NOT logging into Live, ie not creating a profile and going straight into the game. Cant save but interesting to find out where the problem lies.

Also PLEASE dont talk about cracks on the official Forum for Eidos!!

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    Did you try playing the game NOT logging into Live, ie not creating a profile and going straight into the game. Cant save but interesting to find out where the problem lies.

Also PLEASE dont talk about cracks on the official Forum for Eidos!!
    As I said in the other thread, it is unplayable unless I use it. I have a retail copy that crashes to desktop unless I use it. I will not remove that portion, it's insane that I have to use it to play a game that I legally bought and when I talk about this workaround I am told to not talk about the problem and the temporary solution. Release a game that doesn't require me to fight with it in order to play it and you would not have even seen me on these forums.

I did not know it was possible to play without logging into Live. I will attempt it and get back to you.

EDIT: Avoiding logging into Live does nothing. I get the error either way. To be clear, I set it so it does not auto-log me in and then just canceled out when the sing-in dialog appears.

Also, I have no idea what I did in the interim, but when I went back to the official launcher.exe it gives me the same behavior as the no-cd one does. I can now alt-tab back into the game. It must've been something I did in the meantime. I apologize for bringing it up. You were right, it makes no difference.

What the is this,

I have somewhat the same problem.
    Bought the game, installed, but can't play.

Always get the error "kaneandlynch.exe has encountered an error ...."
    Tried the *, and still the same. Either the ALT-TAB doesn't help

This should happen to a new game !!!!!!

Don't try to blame it on windows live, cause Gears of War works perfect.

hope there will be a solution soon, this istn't good advertising.

greetz

we need a patch!

the last few days, the alt+tab workaround has been working, but today...its a no go!

just crashes to the desktop all the time!

Unhappy Same problem here

The game will not load a mission. I can watch the intro movie, look at the Live Guide, change options, but I can't play the actual game. I have sent in a support request, but it sounds like that will be of no help.

I have Windows XP with SP2, and fully updated. I have tried installing the game on my C:, D: and E: Partitions, but to not avail. I have tried it with Live on and without logging into Live and it does not work. I am going to try it on my laptop, but it has Vista.

Here are some links to photos that show the error messages I am getting:
    Error Screen 1
    Error Screen 2

I have installed several different video card drivers for my 7800GT SLI video system. Also played with the DirectX sound settings, but that did not help. I have installed DX9.0c and the latest Live environment to see if that made a difference, but it did not.

In the end, I just want to play the game, and if that cannot happen, then I feel that Eidos should refund the money or some other form of compensation for the buggy programming.

And the Alt+Tabbing had no effect for me.

One more item

According to the "Can You Run It" Link on the Kane and Lynch information page, I pass and exceed the Optimal tab, so I am fairly certain it is not my hardware. And I ran a memtest just to be certain it was not a memory issue for six hours today.

Unhappy Crash to desktop !!!

Hello all,

I am having a similar problem and I want to know if anyone is experiencing the same issue.

My game is crashing exactly in the same place everytime, specifically in the third chapter called "Withdrawal" and specifically when Kane and the Vaultbreaker go back to the bank lobby to meet Lynch where he is shooting all the hostages. After being there for about 20 seconds when Lynch is shouting the game crashes to desktop and closes completely. Sometimes I get the screen saying that Kaneandlynch.exe caused an error and sometimes I just don't get anything, nada, poof ! Otherwise the game runs beautiful and graphics are awesome.

Please comment if some of you are having the same problem and a possible solution. Thanks in advance.

Vista seemed to fix the problem

Seems that my issue is XP related. I decided to go forward with Vista and it seems that I have no issues under Vista. This would somewhat make sense as the original Live for Windows SDK did not take XP into account. Makes me wonder if it went through enough testing.

Got the same problem!!!!

I've exactly the same problem described above:
    The game randomely crashes and kicks me back to desktop
    ... and get the same error messages like mclazyj

Cause I hope there will be a working patch soon which solves this prob ....and by hoping a developer would read this - here are my system details:

P4 2,8 GHz (Northwood)
    ASUS P4P800
    ATI Radeon X1950Pro (AGP)
    3 GB DDR RAM (div Manufactures)
    Creative X-Fi Extreme Music
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Razer Diamondback

Win XP Prof. 32bit (all the latest updates installed)
    all the latest Hardewaredrivers instelled
    Mouse and Keyboard SW running
    Kaspersky 5.0
    Zonealarm

I changed the ingame audio and videosettings in all differnt ways: the game crashes anyway

then I tryed the workaround with Alt+Tab: nothing happens

after terminating every backround software and killing EVERY process in the taskmanager that could be killed: the game crashes anyway but now the Alt+ Tab workaround works (switched back to game) and I could play my first hour K+L

I really hope there will be a patch SOON!!!!!

Exclamation Xp Problem?

Originally Posted by mclazyj
    Seems that my issue is XP related. I decided to go forward with Vista and it seems that I have no issues under Vista. This would somewhat make sense as the original Live for Windows SDK did not take XP into account. Makes me wonder if it went through enough testing.
    Could this really be true?!?

Didnt you guys tested your game under XP????

I think the most people still uses XP
    ...and on the Package of this expensive game is an explicit recommend for win XP

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

perhaps newest version of theis changes something!

Error R6025 solved for me visual C++ download

Hi

All I think I have found the problem to the R6025 error on Kane and Lynch.

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files(x86)\Edios\Kane and Lynch dead men\kaneandlynch.exe

R6025
    -pure virtual function call

First I uninstalled K&L and then cleared the registry of everything associated with K&L.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then
    Because I am running Vista x64bit, I downloaded "vista Microsoft redistributable visual C++" 32 and 64bit (32bit for the game).

-vista Microsoft redistributable visual C++ (x86) 32 bit
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)

The link above is what most people will only want if you are running 32 bit standard.

-vista Microsoft redistributable visual C++ (x64) for 64bit running systems only!!
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
    The people running 64 bit will need this one.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you are not sure whether you are running 32/64 bit.
    Go to Start\ Accessories\and run then
    type "cmd" (without "")and then click ok
    the type "set" (without "") then look for Processor Architecture
    (there it will say 64 or x86 (for 32bit)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Installed these then restared the computer after that I installed Kane and lynch and fired up the game played for 1hr with no probs.

I say this is the solution as I had already updated my sound and video drivers and it made no difference to the error.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These are the steps I took for it to work perfectly not one error, you don't have to follow every step, but it is advised.

Good Luck to everyone with the R6025 error.

Please post if it works for you good luck

Originally Posted by MisterG
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

perhaps newest version of theis changes something!
    Dont work

Now lets see if Jongtons hint works...

I think some patching is definitely required. I bought this today and I've hit a problem in that I can't get past the reunion level (where you save Jenny from the truck), as soon as the breakout level tries to load, the game crashes out and Vista kicks up one of those unhelpful messages. Tried it numerous times now with different settings and checked the DVD disc (no scratches or anything), and I've tried the fixes suggested to no avail, so I'm somewhat perplexed and more importantly stuck.

Thumbs Down

Originally Posted by acidh
    What the is this,

I have somewhat the same problem.
    Bought the game, installed, but can't play.

Always get the error "kaneandlynch.exe has encountered an error ...."
    Tried the *, and still the same. Either the ALT-TAB doesn't help

This should happen to a new game !!!!!!

Don't try to blame it on windows live, cause Gears of War works perfect.

hope there will be a solution soon, this istn't good advertising.

greetz

We have this issue as well. Ridiculous issue for a $50 game that is turning out to be nothing more than a coaster . Reading some of the other posts, I noticed others with dual core and Geforce 8800 series of video cards are having the same issue. A patch or a list of instructions so we can at least start the game would be swell. Oh, and our OS is XP.

UNtil now everything works fine but when i hear of crashing in that Jenny level i fear because i havent played yet!

Lightbulb Crash to desktop !!!

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that im using XP SP2. But now, upon reading that people are having the same crashes with Vista, I don't think is a problem with the OS. And I should also point out that I don't think is a vid card problem either because although I see that mostly everyone have GeForce 8000 series cards I'm using a GeForce 7950 GT 512KB and I still get the same problem. So it's just a faulty game. All my other games run perfectly including CoD 4 and Crysis.

They should come out with a patch already or at least say something !

Thank you.

Thumbs Down Still crashes

I've tryed Jongtons hint with the C++ library....

Dont work!

Other suggestions?

I haven't got it yet, I'd rather buy it on Steam, when it comes out - *if* it works on XP, but I just asked my brother who bought this game recently how he got it working on XP. For him it wouldn't even run up - got to signing in to Live or something and then would just crash. Sometimes with an error, othertimes without. Anyway, the only way he has managed to get it to run is if he disconnects his PC from the Internet. That stops Live trying to call home -- which appears to be the cause of the crashing. Of course, he now can't play any of the online modes, but at least he can play the single player ones.

Still, if this is the only way to get it working on XP, I guess I won't be buying it at all. Seeing as Steam never did work correctly in Offline mode, how am I supposed to run a game without the Internet connected when the client it loads from must have an internet connection!

This Live service of Microsoft is going to kill PC gaming with the amount of problems it's causing =/

Question Crash to desktop !!!

Originally Posted by PRBatman
    Hello all,

I am having a similar problem and I want to know if anyone is experiencing the same issue.

My game is crashing exactly in the same place everytime, specifically in the third chapter called "Withdrawal" and specifically when Kane and the Vaultbreaker go back to the bank lobby to meet Lynch where he is shooting all the hostages. After being there for about 20 seconds when Lynch is shouting the game crashes to desktop and closes completely. Sometimes I get the screen saying that Kaneandlynch.exe caused an error and sometimes I just don't get anything, nada, poof ! Otherwise the game runs beautiful and graphics are awesome.

Please comment if some of you are having the same problem and a possible solution. Thanks in advance.
    I also tried Jongston recommendation of installing Visual C++ 2005 and it still crashes at the same place as explained above. I realized that it specifically crashes as the letters in the title of the next section in the chapter begin to appear. Always in the same place. Anyone having the same problem? BTW, I am using the new 169.09 Forceware Beta Drivers.

Random PC Crash

Hey, I'm finding it entirely impossible to play more than 5-7 minutes of this game. I experience crash to desktop randomly...in the menu, in the videos, after a few minutes of playing. They do not happen in the same places, they are completely random. Either way, I never get to play more than a few minutes on the first level. No error message, simply vista telling me kane and lynch stopped working. This is entirely unacceptable.

I am running Vista 32 with latest updates, sound and video card are updated to latest drivers.

C2D E6600 @ 3.0GHz
    8800GTX @ default clock
    2GB DDR-800
    X-FI Fatal1ty
    SATA2 drives.

I have the same issue and find it very frustration for a game I paid over $40 for. I got to the 3rd level after over 100 (virtual function) crashes. I finagled with most of the video and audio settings with no luck. I also eliminated most of the unnecessary processes which didn't fix it. Ended up buying Orange Box on Friday as something to fulfill my causal gamer needs.

My setup
    Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates
    AMD 4800+ X2
    ATI x1950 PRO 512MB

Originally Posted by ColdBlueSun

Still, if this is the only way to get it working on XP, I guess I won't be buying it at all. Seeing as Steam never did work correctly in Offline mode, how am I supposed to run a game without the Internet connected when the client it loads from must have an internet connection!
    I had to wait to play portal because it my connection went out in the middle of an update!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last