Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: What is next for the Compilation of "Final Fantasy VII"?

What is next for the Compilation of "Final Fantasy VII"?

  1. #1

    What is next for the Compilation of "Final Fantasy VII"?

    Has anyone heard of any news of what is next for the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII? I haven't heard anything in quite awhile...

    Or did SE just tie it all up and end it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    208

    Personally, I'd love to see a proper remake of Before Crisis.

  3. #3

    Originally Posted by Fire


    Personally, I'd love to see a proper remake of Before Crisis.



    This. They made a proper (ish...) remake of Kingdom Hearts: Coded, and so I imagine that this wouldn't be TOO much of a stretch.


    It is very frustrating to know that we over here in the NA (and EU regions?) are missing out on a chunk of the Final Fantasy VII storyline...

  4. #4

    I agree. I've been wanting a remake of BC for a long time. Hajime Tabata voiced a desire to remake it a while back.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Fire
    Personally, I'd love to see a proper remake of Before Crisis.
    A remake for Before Crisis would be excellent...





    to tell the truth, though, it's a lot that's unfinished... Genesis said it himself at the end of Dirge of Cerberus!! Unfortunately, we're gonna have to wait until they finish Versus XIII (since, like... EVERYONE invovled with game development is busy with that at the moment) before they direct any energies toward FFVII.

  6. #6

    I really hope too that they'll do a proper remake for it available in the west. And since everything related to FF7 is with playstation, I hope it will either be for ps3 or vita, unless ps4.


    Then again, Im still dreaming about a remake of ff7 with an engine like for Versus XIII (graphics / world map / action-rpg gameplay / etc).


    And since Vincent and Zack got their own spin-off, one could hope they make one for Sephiroth.

  7. #7

    Originally Posted by imported_Steven


    And since Vincent and Zack got their own spin-off, one could hope they make one for Sephiroth.



    LOL well, you know what he said... He'll never be a memory...

  8. #8

    Well one person in Square-Enix said he would "like" to remake Before Crisis on 3DS and another article I read on the net couple of years ago said that Square was intrested in another VII film...

  9. #9

    I think what they really need to do is remake FF7. It would be great!

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Akai-Kun
    I think what they really need to do is remake FF7. It would be great!
    It would... but I could see many hinderances and fan complaints.... Not that I care... I'd love to see it all beautiful and HD... but there's so much that would need to be changed... and how much they could incorporate into it... will we have our "Claudia Strife" scene?? what about the date choices?? Under the Highwind?? And of course... dialogue... No symbols would save Cid and Barrett... XDDDD





    I can see a huge battle in the R&D phase picking what to keep, to throw away, and to add in...

  11. #11

    I want Before Crisis so bad. And the Lost Episodes of Dirge of Cerberus that focus on the life of the Tsviets before the game started. And there WILL be a sequel to the Compilation made someday. The ending of Dirge of Cerberus with Genesis and some of the oddities found in Crisis Core(Minerva?) pretty much demands that a sequel be made at some point. It's just a matter of when, not if. Personally, of the "big" projects still on the table for FFVII, I would order them like this, in terms of how much I want them:


    1. Before Crisis on a proper game console, in English.


    2. Lost Episodes on a proper game console, in English.


    3. Sequel to Dirge of Cerberus, wrapping up the Genesis/Weiss thing, and explaining Minerva. Could be a game, movie, or even book. Preferably a game, but as long as it gets an English release, I'd be happy. I just want closure, dang it!


    4. Remake of FFVII. This is on the bottom of the list, really. It's a story I already know and have played, as awesome as it was. The logistics of actually doing a proper, faithful remake of this game on a current gen platform are so daunting, though, I don't think this will ever happen. And if it does, we WILL be disappointed.

  12. #12

    Before Crisis is at the top of my list.





    I would also love to see a remake of FFVII, but at the same time, I like where it is. I suppose that is what makes something "classic". Though seeing all the characters in amazing, new cutscenes, and playing through a game that was made for the graphic power of the current/next gen game systems would be fun, I honestly think that way too much about what makes FFVII so great would be lost. I don't think I can pin down exactly what it is about the game that I love, but I know that, at least for me, it wouldn't be "right" remade. I don't think it would carry the same charm that it does now.

  13. #13

    I don't think FFVII should be remade for a full HD console. It should be remade for Vita or something. Keep the gameplay unchanged. Just redo the translation and update the visuals and audio. A few extras, like compilation references would be nice too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7

    I now think that remaking the original FFVII title is not as feasible as we once thought. Way too much needs to be changed even if the visuals are to be "upgraded". To get better visuals, more scenery needs to be interpolated, and will effect the story or gameplay in some way. I think SE would find their time best used making another title/IP. Having a mainstream edition of Before Crisis available to all audiences is definitely something that should and could be done in a reasonable amount of time. However, I think this is the only title that should be added to the compilation. I like the ambiguity of how Dirge of Cerberus leaves the timeline of FFVII. I don't understand why everything needs to be outlined; guessing is half the fun.

  15. #15

    Originally Posted by FF_Fan13
    However, I think this is the only title that should be added to the compilation. I like the ambiguity of how Dirge of Cerberus leaves the timeline of FFVII. I don't understand why everything needs to be outlined; guessing is half the fun.


    It's not even really ambiguous so much as ending the story on a cliffhanger. Good stories need resolution. Ending with Genesis returning and picking up Weiss definitely needs to be explained.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7

    Originally Posted by imported_SilverArrow20XX


    It's not even really ambiguous so much as ending the story on a cliffhanger. Good stories need resolution. Ending with Genesis returning and picking up Weiss definitely needs to be explained.



    It definitely is ambiguous. Ambiguity means that there are multiple interpretations or that a choice between alternatives has been made but is unclear as to which. Either Genesis picks up Weiss to perform deeds of redemption in response to what they have done or they continue to seek destruction. Those are two interpretations. There are many stories that are well written and enjoyable that conclude this way. The movie Inception is one such example.

  17. #17

    Originally Posted by FF_Fan13
    It definitely is ambiguous. Ambiguity means that there are multiple interpretations or that a choice between alternatives has been made but is unclear as to which. Either Genesis picks up Weiss to perform deeds of redemption in response to what they have done or they continue to seek destruction. Those are two interpretations. There are many stories that are well written and enjoyable that conclude this way. The movie Inception is one such example.





    An ambiguous ending is an ending that's left up to interpretation as to what exactly happened. Many good pieces end like this. Inception's ending is a good example. Is the top going indefinitely, implying he's still dreaming, or does the screen cut away just before it falls?


    A character apparently dies during a movie. At the end of the movie the main character receives in the mail an item he had lent to said character. Was the character still alive and returning the item? Was someone else returning it? Who knows, it's ambiguous.


    An item of great evil is disposed of at the bottom of the sea at the end of a story. In the epilogue it shows that many years later, it's washed up on the beach. Is someone going to find and use it again? Ambiguous.


    Having a guy come out at the ending saying "Look at me, I'm about to carry out my plans, but you don't know what those plans are" is hardly ambiguous. There is nothing left up to interpretation. We simply don't know his plan yet. We KNOW he's going to do SOMEHING and that there IS more plot to tell regarding him. We just don't know the direction.

  18. #18

    I'm gonna probably get flamed for saything this, but honestly, I think there shouldn't be more compilation titles for FFVII. FFVII AC was just right. Dirge of Cerberus kind of milked the series a bit too much IMO. Sure, it was good to see flashbacks of Vincent's past, but the whole thing about deep ground soldiers and such, I don't know, it just didn't speak to me that well and seemed a bit much. I personally didn't like the whole Genesis and Weiss thing either. I mean, it's pretty evident that in FFVII, Genesis and Weiss did not exist in the story, because when Zack and Sephiroth were in the Mt. Nibel's Mako reactor in FFVII, Genesis was never there, but in Crisis Core, he shows up. But I guess they had to put Genesis in Crisis Core to make things make sense for DoC. I mean, if they were going to do a compilation, it should have just been more of a prequel thing of Vincent when he was back in the Turks, sorta like how Crisis Core was. Then, the whole Genesis and Weiss thing would never been introduced. I guess my biggest gripe is that...introducing characters like they've been in the story from the start when they clearly haven't.

  19. #19

    So they should just not finish the story and leave the fans hanging because you don't like the games very much?

  20. #20

    Originally Posted by imported_SilverArrow20XX


    So they should just not finish the story and leave the fans hanging because you don't like the games very much?



    That's what I got from the above poster as well.


    Honestly, SE will, at the end of the day, do what they want to print more money. I am sure that there will be some more Final Fantasy VII love coming out eventually...


    Though the biggest problem with that is the fact that the series is at least ten years old at this point and the original game is ONLY available on a dead platform or through PSN (which doesn't get the most promotion in the world, unless its something like Journey which I love).

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    15,195

    Rather than a remake, the staff has expressed interest in a re-arrangement of the original game. Also:





    "Nomura commented on the idea of a Final Fantasy VII remake acknowledging the many fan requests. However, right now, Nomura is working on new titles, which are a higher priority at the moment. Nomura says he will try his best to make a game equal or possibly even more successful than Final Fantasy VII."


    (Famitsu)

  22. #22

    Originally Posted by Grimoire


    Rather than a remake, the staff has expressed interest in a re-arrangement of the original game. Also:





    "Nomura commented on the idea of a Final Fantasy VII remake acknowledging the many fan requests. However, right now, Nomura is working on new titles, which are a higher priority at the moment. Nomura says he will try his best to make a game equal or possibly even more successful than Final Fantasy VII."


    (Famitsu)



    How does that quote at all express interest to rearrange it? He aknowledged that he knew the fans frequently requested a remake and that it might possibly happen on day.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    15,195

    Hm? Nomura didn't say anything about a re-arrangement. I simply quoted his toughts on the subject.

  24. #24

    Originally Posted by imported_SilverArrow20XX


    So they should just not finish the story and leave the fans hanging because you don't like the games very much?



    I honestly feel like it should have ended at FFVII AC, that had a good ending that wraps everything up. And for the record, I didn't say I didn't like the games very much. I really liked Crisis Core, everything about it was great except, like I said, the introduction of characters like Genesis that were not in the original FFVII to begin with and making it seem like they were in the story from the start. Like the whole G project thing and stuff. I mean, I can live with the fact because it's possible there's some areas in FFVII's story that weren't told and the whole Genesis and G project stuff could fit in. But like Angeal. He's the perfect example, he fits in the FFVII universe perfectly. But when it becomes the center of DoC with Weiss being the antagonist, I don't know how I feel about that. And especially since DoC came out before Crisis Core, at the secret ending where Genesis was first seen, I was like.."WHAA????" I mean, if Genesis was just in Crisis Core like Angeal was and did not transcend to other games, I would be okay with that.


    As for DoC, sure the mechanics could have been improved. But the story is believable. I can believe that Shinra had other underground facilities that did testing on humans since they are Shinra, and Vincent's story is a nice touch too. But I don't know, other than that, other things just felt like an afterthought to me. It just didn't make a huge impact on me I guess.

  25. #25
    Originally Posted by MugenKB1
    I'm gonna probably get flamed for saything this, but honestly, I think there shouldn't be more compilation titles for FFVII. FFVII AC was just right. Dirge of Cerberus kind of milked the series a bit too much IMO. Sure, it was good to see flashbacks of Vincent's past, but the whole thing about deep ground soldiers and such, I don't know, it just didn't speak to me that well and seemed a bit much. I personally didn't like the whole Genesis and Weiss thing either. I mean, it's pretty evident that in FFVII, Genesis and Weiss did not exist in the story, because when Zack and Sephiroth were in the Mt. Nibel's Mako reactor in FFVII, Genesis was never there, but in Crisis Core, he shows up. But I guess they had to put Genesis in Crisis Core to make things make sense for DoC. I mean, if they were going to do a compilation, it should have just been more of a prequel thing of Vincent when he was back in the Turks, sorta like how Crisis Core was. Then, the whole Genesis and Weiss thing would never been introduced. I guess my biggest gripe is that...introducing characters like they've been in the story from the start when they clearly haven't.
    I'm with you, man.





    Final Fantasy VII has been my favorite FF since I first played it in '97, and I've followed the story through Advent Children, DoC, and most of Crisis Core (I admit, I have not finished it). That said, FF7 was initially made with the intent that it would be a stand-alone game. I know it was a milestone because it was the first rendered FF game, but I hardly believe Square thought it would be so explosively popular that fans would want prequels and sequels and spin-offs galore. If they planned that stuff from the beginning, they definitely would have added those small bits like Genesis at the Mt. Nibel reactor, purposefully not going into detail as to who that other guy was so they could elaborate in a future game. Of course I wouldn't expect everyone's entire backstory to be explicity laid out for us in FF7, so there's obviously mystery that surrounds Zack and his origins, but I think that's necessary. You don't need ALL the answers. Sometimes it's fun to make up your own reasons for why this happened or how that character came into a specific situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last