Thread: Non-critical maps to replace Speed-trials?

Lightbulb Non-critical maps to replace Time-trials or as just add-on Maps?

(My repeat from the "I hope crystal dynamics read these forums" message. And I have several more add-on map "dreams" like this one that are almost complete, btw.)

None of this is being examined for actual TRA modifications.

So, simply imagine a player having to complete one or more non-critical areas, when compared to the actual game-play, to finally receive their "cheat" or "reward", instead of those rather boring Time-trials, CD?

... CD, this is just a top-down viewpoint of a rather open Geo-Dome for this area. And something like a Jungle/Paradise style, with lots of flowers and plants, should make this into a World Class TRA showplace, CD!

... Croft-Paradise-RA-4
    ( 3 Health Packs and Notes + new 2-Pole platform)
    (Just cleaned-up by adding dashed lines and some text improvements.)
    (Updated my North-direction idea and added Release Switch for Animals.)

100 to 120 meters might be the normal area for a "game dome" like this?

And that Tarzan tree-swinging may seem a bit strange looking.
    (But for those who want a fun and fast way to get around, it might have its uses, CD?)

(And here is my un-dithered BMP version for others to play with.)
    http://rapidshare.com/files/56872905...4.bmp.zip.html

... Just something to discuss tree-swinging with. ...
    (And the boring mechanics of testings and other stuff like that.)

http://rapidshare.com/files/56263697...1.bmp.zip.html

... Jim (aka: tiger or TigerEye)...

(I have three more of these "dreams", if this one is acceptable to Admins?)
    And, of course, there could be dozens of these dreams, after that?

*** They have reduced signatures to two lines. ***
    So here are my other TRA links...
    Fun little oddities. . .
    PC TRA patch long overdue.
    TRA AutoHotKey (AHK) fun-and-needed keys, perhaps?
    Bosses as Riddles or Puzzles (I just liked my defense of RA-AD-HS, folks)
    Tomb Raider HUB (For the very best in TR support and mods!)

You have to admit though that a time trial is a much more economical way to enhance the longevity of the game than additional levels.
    Also the Croft Manor is pretty much just what you have in mind, or isn't it?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwell View Post
    You have to admit though that a time trial is a much more economical way to enhance the longevity of the game than additional levels.
    Also the Croft Manor is pretty much just what you have in mind, or isn't it?
    Well, for a cheap "video-arcade game" trick, you are quite correct about CD's Time Trials being "economical".

(But having to hunt for a bunch of slightly hidden creatures throughout a fairly large and deep jungle-like environment, as in my "Croft Paradise", might be kind of a nice little challenge and a pretty decent replacement for that "Croft Mansion" time-trial, hopefully?)

AND why not have both of them, for different types of TRA players?

(Btw, I have two more "dreams" for TRA's The Lost Valley and one for a bigger and darker Cistern, all ready for some posting, here, mates.)

TLV Raptor-area idea

. . . TLV-Raptor-area08.jpg . . .

With perhaps, a little stealth or simply "nature viewing" around the edges?
    (Like in my classic retro-raiding, if I don't need to shoot then I won't.)

TLV-Raptor-area08.bmp.zip (40 KB) for those who want to "play" a bit.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/j9gyp3

I'm afraid I don't understand your images, but this sounds like the "secret mission" concept that Devil May Cry has. Optional minigames for in-game rewards. You find the secret areas (sometimes it's just reentering an area that's no longer necessary) and then complete whatever the specific task is.

Although in essence tomb raider has always had non-critical areas for rewards. They were called secrets, so perhaps we're just reinventing the wheel.

Hello LisaB.

This over-all "idea" should not be viewed as a set of "secret missions".
    Because they should be a completely optional and open "set of missions" for the exact same "rewards" as the current "Time Trials".

So you could simply treat all of them as just some optional "FUN areas"?
    And this still allows you to enjoy TRA's time-trials, exactly as they are, currently. (Or heck. . . Simply do both types of "missions", anyway that you want to, you know?)

(And of course, these "FUN areas" will FEEL about 1000 percent more like I am actually still playing a normal TR game, mates!)

My first one, Croft Paradise, would be a basic trainer for RA/AD/HS, primarily. (And if we can get Pole-jumping, Rope-swinging and maybe even some multiple Gapple-tossing practice, out of the way, then maybe CD could work-on returning to normal, those overly done "training areas" within their Peru level?)

And then that "TLV-Raptor-area" would be demostrating the basic needs of "ecology areas" to support a raptor population that could even begin to "support" a HUGE TRex. . . (This seemed like the most "logical place" for me, to start. And a "pure and natural" idea, like this one, shouldn't be a problem with any of our TR players, hopefully?)

TLV Wolfs-Den-area idea

(And LisaB, here is another part of that "mission" for "The Lost Valley".)

*** My little "maze of caves" could always be adjusted, if need be? ***

And here is the bmp for others to play-around with.
    TLV-Wolfs-Den-area11.bmp.zip
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/n2jfae

(For an example of completing these "optional missions".)
    Simply, take-out all of the raptors in the TLV-Raptor-area and then remove all of the wolves in this TLV-Wolfs-Den-area and THEN you are done with these TLV missions and you will get its "cheating reward".

(I thought about a third TLV "mission" with LOTs of nasty bats, all flying around a very tall and darkened dome-like cave, while they appear to be "chasing rats for their dinner", perhaps? And then the path would be a very simple one of a slow-spiraling ramp that is constantly going upwards and through this gauntlet of "high and low" problems. But its map-design, like my other ones, would be even MORE boring to a builder.)

*** And starting that Bat-cave-area in the place where you picked-up the shotgun in TLV, sounded about right to me? ***

(And having a fairly deep body of water, in the bottom of this Bat-cave, might make your return-trip DOWN, by using an EXTREME high-dive, a lot more fun?)

Tihocan-Cistern extension

Tihocan-Cistern09.jpg

Nothing too special here. Just a deep, dark and dank place to go hunting for gators, while they're chasing rats or catfish for dinner.

(And of course, for those who like to design maps and levels.)
    Tihocan-Cistern09.bmp.zip (110 KB)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/5miuhr

And there would be lots of easy RA/AD/HS practice running down all those very long hallways.
    (And if that special Grapple-swinging, in Croft Paradise, works out then adding a bit of that to the roof of this new Cistern might provide quite a bit of risky fun?)

Peru Broken-Bridge and a new Rope idea

Peru-Broken-Bridge-and-a-Rope.jpg

(This idea might just be for that good-old Adventuring Spirit of Raiders?)

And it's the very first mod idea, that almost hit me between-the-eyes, when I first started TRA, btw. . . (So, like why should we even give a care about some sort of "reward" or about a piece of needed brick-a-brack, when a real call for help has been given and there's a "new game, afoot"?)

Hey, tiger. Ole` eSBi here One thing you're not seeing though is that CD are already finished with this game. There won't be any editors or mods. They're just collecting the spoils off the game's sales and that's about it. Anyway, good work on the design. Hope I didn't demoralize you

Quote Originally Posted by Sentience View Post
    Hey, tiger. Ole` eSBi here One thing you're not seeing though is that CD are already finished with this game. There won't be any editors or mods. They're just collecting the spoils off the game's sales and that's about it. Anyway, good work on the design. Hope I didn't demoralize you
    Hello eSBi. . . And thanks for your reply, mate! (I mess around with UnReal-based game maps, ragdoll tricks, movie-effects and storylines.) So, this was just a bit of fun "3d-doddling and scribbling" to me.

And most of my little "TRA dreams", above, were simply bouncing into my head, while I was still playing the game for the very first time. And I simply had to get them "down on paper" to get them "out of there", you might say.

(Thank you all, for putting-up with me and showing my thoughts.)

And ONLY God knows what bounces around CD's creative heads?
    (But I suspect that they had a drop-dead deadline to bounce their heads against and the current TRA is the results?)

And BTW, CD, I have a lot more in the way of "TRA Dreams" for a NEW "TRA Gold" release, perhaps, if you're ever "interested"?

Lol @ CD contacting you for a position in their company You can't say it can't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Sentience View Post
    Lol @ CD contacting you for a position in their company You can't say it can't happen
    Hey... Thanks, eSBi.
    I have a master-mapper buddy, who even gets flown-in for special assignments. And whenever he needs something "really special", I usually work out a new functional idea for him, as quick as I can. So, he would probably help me with the tough stuff?

(But as Lara might say, "I only do it for sport, mates.")

BUT in CD's case, with their need for "total isolation",
    I better not "hold my breath" for any sort of feedback, you know.