Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For anyone with Winplay problems:

Well I see that this was for the PS version. I thought it was for the PC and I've no clue of how to convert .rpl files.......
    Bink & Smacker doesn't work BTW

DAMN!! Ok, can someone who does have the movies in Bink format send a PM to me plz?? I think I know a tric to hand it over to me......

Thanks!! but this is the old version of the SR intro.

winplay

Ok this is my first post..everyone has been very helpful with this. I just have one problem..i STILL cant get the intro to play. I installed the game..installed both patches, copied the movie files and ran winplay and it still skips the intro when i hit start new game. other than that it works fine..didnt have to screw with my acceleration or sound or anything..but it still skips the movies.

Thumbs Up

Belated thanx for the winplay fix! I tried a while ago to get SR1 working on my XP/nVidia system but encountered this snag. But now (with the exception of the aforementioned intro and end credits videos petering out) it works perfectly!

Now, may the Legacy of Kain marathon begin!!

The hex edit works, but after applying it, I can no longer skip cut scenes. Is this fixable?

Rolleyes Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Muyfa666 View Post
    The hex edit works, but after applying it, I can no longer skip cut scenes. Is this fixable?
    hm, this fix was only for one purpose: make allowable to see movies which skips otherwise...
    Of course, I can try to find more correct fix which will allow skip cut scenes by pressing some keys and don't skip them by pressing movement keys (for example), if you need it and if it is possible...

I'd be very grateful if you have something that could help me.

After trying some combinations I get these results:

-Xbox360 controller: Like I said above.
    -PSOne controller with USB-adapter. Works with JoyToKey and analogue shut off, but no cutscenes. If I hex edit, the cutscenes work and the controller works, but the cutscenes are unskippable.
    -Keyboard - Everything works as it should.

Lightbulb Re:

I'd be very grateful if you have something that could help me.

After trying some combinations I get these results:

-Xbox360 controller: Like I said above.
    -PSOne controller with USB-adapter. Works with JoyToKey and analogue shut off, but no cutscenes. If I hex edit, the cutscenes work and the controller works, but the cutscenes are unskippable.
    -Keyboard - Everything works as it should.
    Ok, I think that I found solution for skipping cutscenes when you play with joypad.
    Try this fix:
    <Change offset="0x7CF74" from="20" to="01">
    <Change offset="0x7CF75" from="6D" to="00">
    <Change offset="0x7CF76" from="C6" to="00">
    <Change offset="0x7CF79" from="13" to="C3">
    <Change offset="0x7CF7A" from="B1" to="AC">
    It allows skip cutscenes by pressing Esc (and only - i.e. fix for gamepads when the game still detects slight jitter as input which affects movie skipping).
    For me this fix works - try it for you (and test with controllers).

This new hex edit works perfect. The Xbox360 controller and the USB PS1 controller both work fine (with JoyToKey).

That's about all the complaints I ever had on a LoK-game, and you seem to fixed them all. I'm very grateful to you!

A quick question, not really a big problem.

When I start SR1, the config window pops up. Whatever I choose, it don't get saved to the next time, and neither have I found a way to hide the "setup"-window. Is there some commandline I can use to hide this window and edit my choices manually in a config file or anything?

If I set kain2.exe to Compatibility Mode for Win 98, the settings are saved, as you say.

Unfortunatly, all the movies lags and are unwatchable. Also, under Win 98 compatibility, the max resolution I can chose is 1280x1024, and when in normal mode I can chose up to 1680x1050.

Lightbulb Re:

If I set kain2.exe to Compatibility Mode for Win 98, the settings are saved, as you say.
    good.

Unfortunatly, all the movies lags and are unwatchable. Also, under Win 98 compatibility, the max resolution I can chose is 1280x1024, and when in normal mode I can chose up to 1680x1050.
    hm:
    1. run the game in Win'98 Compatibility to save settings from the config menu to registry.
    2. disable Win'98 Compatibily Mode and try to play the game with the saved settings (see the quality of video).
    3. set manually your resolution in registry - parameters ScreenHeight and Screen Width: this settings remains the same because the game does not save the settings from the config menu.

One more about videos: I wrote above that now there is a possibility to use bink-video for SR1, but it is needed to take video from PS and Sega DreamCast to decode it into the bink format.

Where in the registry do I find the Soul Reaver entrys?

Quote Originally Posted by wrace View Post
    One more about videos: I wrote above that now there is a possibility to use bink-video for SR1, but it is needed to take video from PS and Sega DreamCast to decode it into the bink format.
    I'm not completely sure what you mean by this?

Lightbulb Re:

Where in the registry do I find the Soul Reaver entrys?
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Crystal Dynamics\Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver\1.00.000:
    ScreenHeight
    ScreenWidth

I'm not completely sure what you mean by this?
    I said that in SR1 all rpl-movies (which can lags and be unwatchable) can be replaced by the appropriate Bink-movies like movies in SR2, BO2, and Defiance.

Unfortunatly, I don't have those registry strings. Maybe it's because I have Vista?

The movies work fine when not using any compatibility mode, they only lag when in Win 98 mode. Could other movies make a difference?

Lightbulb Re:

Unfortunatly, I don't have those registry strings. Maybe it's because I have Vista?
    hm, you wrote:
    What do you mean? When you start the game in the config window you see the changed settings or default - ?
    As I know, the settings are saved only in registry...
    I hope you know that the abbreviation HKLM means HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?
    i.e. the path is
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Crystal Dynamics\Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver\1.00.000
    and in it should be parameters ScreenHeight and ScreenWidth.
    Also you can use Search in Registry Editor - type ScreenWidth and press the appropriate button to start the Search.

The movies work fine when not using any compatibility mode, they only lag when in Win 98 mode. Could other movies make a difference?
    Hm, bink-movies work without any glitches (as I know) + there is a high-quality intro-movie for SR1 (with resolution 640x480) which you can view in the game instead of original intro-movie with resolution 320x240 + by means more powerful and the greatest bink-library instead of the oldest Escape Player which works with glitches and has the worser quality in showing video...

I found the registry key. Vista 64 has it hidden in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Crystal Dynamics\Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver\1.00.000

It works perfectly as you say. The game saves my 1680x1050 config now. :-D

Please tell me more about this bink movies. Can I recode all movies to bink for better compatibility? And better quality on the intro movie?

Are there any thread about it around here?

EDIT: Ok, I read back in the topic, and found the information about this, but I don't seem to get it right. I can't find any of the tools to convert with, I don't know which settings I should use in any of the programs or anything.

Lightbulb Re:

Ok, let's try to do this - if you are interesting in it.
    Here is a full instruction.
    1. Download the appropriate avi-files for SR1.
    2. Download The RAD Video Tools.
    3. Convert avi-files to bink-files (using RADTools, default settings) and place it in the game folder (where installed SR1) - the names of files:
    intro.bik
    chrono3.bik
    chrono5.bik
    chrono7.bik
    chrono9.bik
    chrono11.bik
    chrono13.bik
    verse.bik
    4. rename winplay.dll (in the game folder) as winplay0.dll - i.e. we save it.
    5. Download new winplay.dll created by Booster, unpack it from zip-archive and place it (with binkw32.dll, of course) to the game folder.
    *. It is all - now you can play in SR1 with bink-movies, including hi-res intro-movie...

I've extracted all the movies from the PSX CD with PSX Multi Converter, and with ESCAPEplay I could watch them, so that I could know how to rename the files.

Extracted the HQ SR1 intro from the PS2 Soul Reaver 2 with PSS_demux tool, then recoded to avi with VirtualDubMod.

Renamed all files correctly, encoded to bink, added the new winplay.dll and bink32.dll.

And guess what? IT WORKS! I'm sooooo impressed by your knowledge about all this wrace. Great stuff.

As we speak, I have made a package (for english language) that includes everything. I will add the links here when it's done.

Basically, if a person installs the game from his original CD, then extract my compressed files into the game dir, all the fixes are included!

Lightbulb Re:

It will be cool!..

P.S.: if it is not hard for you, create the newest instruction what problems with the games SR1 and BO1 can be and how it will be solved...

I'll try to do something that most ppl can use. I may take some time thou, as my ISP went down, so I'm on dial-up.

EDIT: Ok, this is how it'll be for now since I can't upload big files.

I will upload 2 files. One is a file that contains detailed instructions on how to fix the bink-videos, and all included software that is needed to do it.

The other one is a complete patched archive with all the fixes, hacks, patches etc. The included readme says it all.

These 2 archives should be enough for anyone to play Soul Reaver on a modern PC.

EDIT2: Ok, the files are done. I may upload the actual movie files, but I have to possibility to do so atm.

The SR1 BINK instructions and tools: http://www.mediafire.com/?qn4mjtlkkju

The SR1 complete package with all updates and fixes: http://www.mediafire.com/?lyg2gmbmiam

I will also post a url for the BO fixes in the BO-section of the forum.

Lightbulb Re:

ok - very good instructions...
    Hm, to follow them it is needed for anyone to have SR1-PS and SR2-PS2...

I'm having some trouble to understand you here. No offense. :-)

The XP patch is no fix at all?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast