Thread: "Walk" function not working

"Walk" function not working

My game is working properly except for the "walk" function; it doesn't work with either keyboard or gamepad (Logitech Wingman) I've even tried assigning different keyboard buttons, but no luck. Anyone else encounter this?

Sabine

TRA doesn't have a 'Walk' function, at least, not that I know of.
    It's not listed under the movement controls (page 8) in the PC version manual. I think the poor girl just has to run everywhere.

its listed

Its listed in the "controls" section though; its the last button, assigned to "alt" on the keyboard

if using a gamepad Walking is done by moving the stick very gently forward, if you push the stick ALL the way to the end your gonna move as fast as she can.

older gamepad

I'm still using an older gamepad, that has no analog sticks. Its the one I used for the previous games; I would assign a button to the walk function. Always worked ok-

Update

I installed the game on my laptop; there the "Alt" button for Walk works! My desktop had more power and a better video card, so i'd rather play it there - any recommendations on what to update/check on the desktop to get it to work?

Sabine

Oops, stupid me. You're quite correct, there is indeed a 'Walk' function using the 'Alt' key. I got as far as the Damocles area in St. Francis's Folly before I discovered it. Just as well there are onscreen tips.

It's possible it could be your keyboard, so try a different keyboard (If you have access to a spare) and see if the problem persists.

I had the 'S' key fail on my old keyboard. It was a real pain in the backide.

I have some excellent controllers for my PC, but I still prefer to play Tomb Raider with the mouse and keyboard.

UTWarden is correct. Analogue controllers walk Lara by moving the stick just a little in the required direction. It's absolutely horrible. It's the main reason I went back to the mouse and keyboard. Also, from what I remember, I tried to assign a controller button to walk and it doesn't work. This was true on both my Logitech and Xbox 360 controllers.

I was definitely able to reassign the walk function to a different key on the keyboard, though. In fact, I reassigned most of the functions.

You haven't got a US keyboard map loaded in Windows while using a UK keyboard (or vice versa), have you?

Also, is the controller still connected? Maybe that's stopping you from reassigning walk because it forces it onto the controller. Sounds unlikely I know, but there's a few unlikely things in this game, I can tell you!!

Its a US keyboard and PC. Intretingly, after reinstalling the game for the 4th tim the "Walk" function using Alt now works, but I still can' assign it to a gamepad button; I'm able to re-assign ALL the other buttons except this one. I guess I prefer the game pad because that's what I've used in all the previous games, from the first one till now (except Angel of Darkness-yuck) I just may get a new gamepad-

Sabine

Quote Originally Posted by sabine1215 View Post
    Its a US keyboard and PC. Intretingly, after reinstalling the game for the 4th tim the "Walk" function using Alt now works, but I still can' assign it to a gamepad button; I'm able to re-assign ALL the other buttons except this one. I guess I prefer the game pad because that's what I've used in all the previous games, from the first one till now (except Angel of Darkness-yuck) I just may get a new gamepad-

Sabine
    The walking is purely aesthetic. It doesn't serve any purpose because for some reason it does not prevent Lara from walking off of cliffs. If it's giving you this much trouble, you might just want to forget about it and play the game without the walk feature.

Very true; I've always liked walk because I feel like it adds to the ambience- a slow walk into a massive cave/forest/building allowed me to really take in all the detail...

Here is what I found.

I have a logitech keyboard and when using the right ALT lara would still run but when using the left ALT she will walk. I tried another keyboard and had the same results. I then tried mapping my Saitek dual analog within the game config to a key but it would not work.

I am now trying to map using the Saitek Profile Configuration Launcher. I'll see how that works.

Wink BigAl New Member

Press & hold R2 or was it L2 on game pad.
    The goddess will walk a treat & never tumble off ledges.
    Never played on PC so cannot help.

Had big trouble with the 'centaurs' @ 'tomb of Tihocan' though.
    Solved, after approx 5 days, by holding L1+Direction+O as soon as the centaur charges, still only get a fleeting window to achieve the head shot: approx 0.25 sec .