Thread: 5. What would you improve in the audio of the game?

5. What would you improve in the audio of the game?

5. What would you improve in the audio of the game?

I know a few people have got views on this.... fire away!

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Deeper bass for the firing of the guns (both cannons and AA)

Deeper sounds for depth charges.

A more violent sound to the impact of the shells hitting a ship.

I want the room to vibrate!!

Originally Posted by chip5541

QFT

4. music from an beach club^^
    no no ^^ dont ask me, not so important!!

Originally Posted by -=)CSF(=-Akagi
    music from an beach club^^
    no no ^^ dont ask me, not so important!!

What!?!? WHAT@??!!? Your crazy Akagi, music is the sound of life!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we're all pining for deeper bass sounds, a real thwump the bb's firing. Also this game needs alot more audio for the crew, we hear the same phrases everytime, honestly i'd like the feel that there was an actual crew in game.

I think the music was sorta...plain, some improvement inthat catagory would be nice.

I would just like to see more variety of sound effects and music. I don't think what is there now is bad, but it sure is repetitive.

And like someone else said in another thread, can we have the option to change the japanese to english?

please no more posh English speakers. We don't all talk like that

apart from that i think everyone so far has said what needs to be said. ie non repetitive and deeper sounds would be nice.

Get Bruce Campbell to do the voice work!

When I shoot a nine shell salvo from my Iowa, I want to hear a sound so terrifying, that all of the surrounding Japanese ships go running in fear.

I have seen footage of battleship guns (The USS Missouri) firing, and I thought that that was the coolest sound ever. I think that it wasn't deep, or loud enough in this game, so I think that that could be improved.

The AA is pretty good, but I agree with depth charges. Those things were packed with explosives. Heck, go look at old pictures and videos. The water surrounding the destroyer dropping them shot up like a huge bomb went off underneath the sea floor. Of course, this would be loud for all things underwater, but any surface ships wouldn't hear it as well.

After playing two hour long battles online, I got pretty sick of hearing the same music repeating itself for the, well, a lot of times. So, a variety of soundtracks from each side would be nice. Also stated before, a variety of different saying that the crew say would be nice.

One last thing, unless you want to include a copy of "Japanese for dummies", I think that most of us would like it if the Jap team would speak English with a Japanese accent(SP?). You all know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Dremora Warlord
    When I shoot a nine shell salvo from my Iowa, I want to hear a sound so terrifying, that all of the surrounding Japanese ships go running in fear.

I have seen footage of battleship guns (The USS Missouri) firing, and I thought that that was the coolest sound ever. I think that it wasn't deep, or loud enough in this game, so I think that that could be improved.

The AA is pretty good, but I agree with depth charges. Those things were packed with explosives. Heck, go look at old pictures and videos. The water surrounding the destroyer dropping them shot up like a huge bomb went off underneath the sea floor. Of course, this would be loud for all things underwater, but any surface ships wouldn't hear it as well.

After playing two hour long battles online, I got pretty sick of hearing the same music repeating itself for the, well, a lot of times. So, a variety of soundtracks from each side would be nice. Also stated before, a variety of different saying that the crew say would be nice.

One last thing, unless you want to include a copy of "Japanese for dummies", I think that most of us would like it if the Jap team would speak English with a Japanese accent(SP?). You all know what I mean.
    perfect

don't know what i can add to this thread. I agree, more expansive score for each navy. I like that the music was different depending on which side you were on. Just more of it all. Less repetitive music/Dialogue. All that everyone posted about bigger...louder...I agree.

Well on this topic I decided to translate a segment from a article - critics in Hungary said this about the game. I just made it available in English as it expresses exactly my viewpoint on the subject.
    The original source is here: http://www.hardwired.hu/art.php?id=51&p=2 written by: Dixie Flatline, 2007. február 20. 04:18

[...]
    ...no need even for the binoculars to see the great and mighty Japanese battleship: the Fuso. It's superstructure is rising above all other sea vessels around it. Little shame fills us in, trying to submerge so nobody notices as we approach with our battle cruiser that feels like a toothpick in comparison with the Fuso. While looking at the battleships guns we believe it is going go cause a little catastrophe around with each one fired so we can't wait to get into firing range. Waiting for the fire order in tense, trying to steer our ship cleverly and carefully, ordering the crew to either pump water or put out fires on the deck. Finally the order to fire comes and the guns go off. Did they REALLY wENT OFF? There is no huge blast or other sound effect predicting the upcoming catastrophe. All we see is some terrible looking white condense lines showing the trajectory of the shells. The ones missed the target falling into the water with a tinly little splash that disappears in a few millisecond. So we fire again and we think if the developers left the placeholder sound effects in the final release - because what we hear is nothing more than a discrete fart in the morning mist. Same feeling when sitting in the fighter planes' cockpit. There are no deafening sound effects risking our hearing ability in the middle of the battle.

Without having adequate materials it is a good idea to visit the liveleak.com website where we can hear on many military recordings how ear deafening is the true sound of rifles, machine guns, rockets and other weapons. One can fantasize how would a 40,000tons steal-beast's main gun sound. The way I imagine two battle cruiser's fight is that I hear the sound of the sweeping fighter planes above the ship, the continuous barking of the AA guns aimed at them. The blast of the main guns clears the clouds, the wind blows away the smoke coming out of the barrels, the shells hitting the target deforms steel and the sound of metal surfaces sliding on each other takes the lead. The loads splashing into the water creates craters in the water and the sound of the water shower can be heard as it falls back to the surface. I won't even expect that the sailors from sunken ships would fight for their lives in the water, the debris from the airplanes floats in flames and the oil on the sea's surface burst in flames.

The fighter planes and puffing the battleships are farting. The necessary sound effects and music is absolutely essential in a game where we command fighter planes, bombers, and battleships.
    [...]

bottom line - more realistic sound samples that "hit" is what we need in BS:M2

Originally Posted by chip5541

I second that!
    And maybe different background music for different maps.

For you guys that didn't know it you can turn on Text for when the Japs talk; it pops up in English at the bottom of the screen...Took me a Month before I figured that out

Originally Posted by Dremora Warlord
    Here is the terror I speak of. Note in the first video what the guys do when they are about to be fired.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0fef6f4970

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ef9_1177783287

A lot can be learned from these videos in terms of sound, and that amazing screen of fire and smoke.

what about a different musical score for each different type of unit?
    DD = 1 type
    BB = another
    fighter = another
    on and on.
    Same way with both sides only different style of music or maybe make, say the BB, the same musical notes for each side and change the musical instruments to reflect a more Japanese or American flare.

I would agree to the idea to have different music styles for the different sides.
    I also suggest the "context sensitive" music that is so great in FPS games - when you're in the middle of the battle a different music is played relative to quietly sailing on the seas...

I found the battle chatter is a bit confusing in game as is, like it that voice on my ship or another etc. A audio static filter over messages from other ships/planes other than the one your in would help to give a sense of direction/perspective for some of this chatter.

Another intresting Audio idea would be Voice Control i saw this implemented in' ENigma RIsing Tide' another ww2 naval sim. So you can give basic commands to your ships over microphone.

Voice over Ip for team m8's would also be a great addition....

Originally Posted by Dogmeatz
    [...]
    Another intresting Audio idea would be Voice Control i saw this implemented in' ENigma RIsing Tide' another ww2 naval sim. So you can give basic commands to your ships over microphone.

[...]
    Most probably I missed this title with Voice Control but this is a super great idea! Relieving the hands from keyboard shortcuts to give orders to other units like a "real commander" would be fantastic!
    I want this Noooooooooooooooowwwww!

If we got voice command like ENIGMA then they should make different battlestaions, like Anti Air / Sub or Surface. Nothin like the looks you get from flatmates as you yell "Full SPeeD Ahead BAttle Stations" at 3 am in the morning.

But seriously i was amazed the difference this one simple feature made, to a game it can really add to the atmosphere....

SIDENOTE: any1 with 'Silent Hunter 3' apparently there is a third party mod that adds voice control to that game as well....

Hey guys,

Sound is another important immersion factor to any game: and although in my experiance of the game the sound was enjoyable (OK) it wasn't anywhere near what it should of been. Some sounds were right - others were just plain wrong. Get some royalties paid for licenced weapon firing sound effects from real ships perhaps? - Basically for me, the combat sounds were a bit of a let down.

Music, although repetative, was spot on. As regards the context music I saw mentioned above, this feature already exists in BSM single player. Oh, heres something interesting too: why do submarines feature an "underwater radio?" - no honestly - try this: Turn your music off in the settings, launch a skirmish LAN game (with subs) or submarine challenge, and dive. Turn up your volume. Listen carefully. It'll sound like... a background humm at first... and then you'll hear "pipes" or an instrument as you tune in - and if you listen *real* close: you can hear the complete japenese combat music in ideal acoustic situations. I jest not! Correct as of today (on several machines) all running CL Audigy 2 ZS's.

Still, bottom line for me: I'd rather have a quality game then top quality sound. Carry on!

-Lexxy

P.S. Sorry I'm Late - Been Away