Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Demarest's master savegame files

  1. #1

    Thumbs Up Demarest's master savegame files

    I'm going to be making a few sets of saves. I'll update this thread as the download links evolve. I'm not sure what all sets I'm going to be up for doing. I'm thinking Easy, Normal, and Hard, both with all artifacts/relics and without. In the runs with them, I'll probably be saving just before each one. That way, they can have a third use of seeing where they are.

    The Hard run with all artifacts and relics is now complete. So now I'll working on Hard with no artifacts/relics. I imagine the usefulness of these will take a back seat to the those with.

    The naming scheme of the files use the following code: First, a word or two indicating which stage it is for. Lowercase a and b mean after and before. Capital A and R mean artifact and relic. In the event there are multiple artifacts, they will be given a number to indicate which one it is (in the order you encounter them). So the save Mt. Caves b2A is a save in the Mountain Caves stage, at the checkpoint before the second artifact. Finally, if the name says end, it was made when that stage is completed and you are prompted to save manually.

    Purpose: There are two I can think of right off hand. The first being the obvious skipping past certain trouble spots. For example, the T Rex fight, which many people find quite daunting. The second has to do with my discovery here that you CAN save your game even after you beat it. Having saves at many points in the game means that people who have beat the game already can load any point they want, so they can play from there AND have the ability to save. Or for those who have beat the game and want to do it again, from the beginning without creating a new profile. Things like that.

    Instructions: Extract the ZIP file into My Documents/Eidos/whateverprofile You will see directories there based on stage of the game. Go into which one you want. Copy whichever save you want and paste it into your whateverprofile folder (so you would hit copy, back, and then paste). Launch TRA, choose that profile, and load that save It's probably best if you make your own save where you are before loading these, just to make sure nothing gets botched, or even if you just change your mind later. *If you've already downloaded one master ZIP and are downloading another, you can still just tell it to extract all into the same folder. It will prompt you whether or not you want to overwrite files. Say no to all as updated ZIPs are just going to be all the same files, plus some more.

    Note: These saves are being made while picking up every pickup possible. Including shooting off a round to make way for an ammo pickup you otherwise couldn't pick up. I'm also doing it while using no meidpaks. So each save will have the maximum items you can expect for that point in the game. With a couple exceptions. For example, when first landing in T Rex's area of Lost Valley, there are some medipaks. But since there are little dinos running around, I won't actually collect them until AFTER the T Rex battle.

    Current set: 6th offering, posted 20:40 EST (-5 GMT) 22 Jun 2007; Hard with artifacts through the end of the game. DOWNLOAD (409 KB)

    All comments, suggestions, and requests welcome.



    Edit log:1st offering, posted 18:10 EST (-5 GMT) 21 Jun 2007; Hard with artifacts through after T Rex in Lost Valley.

    2nd offering, posted 18:45 EST (-5 GMT) 21 Jun 2007; Hard with artifacts through the 1st switch in Tomb of Qualopec.

    3rd offering, posted 23:30 EST (-5 GMT) 21 Jun 2007; Hard with artifacts through Tomb of Tihocan (past the Centaurs).

    4th offering, posted 01:45 EST (-5 GMT) 22 Jun 2007; Hard with artifacts through the difficult jump in Obelisk of Khamoon.

    5th offering, posted 03:25 EST (-5 GMT) 22 Jun 2007; Hard with artifacts through the Sanctuary of the Scion.

    6th offering, posted 20:40 EST (-5 GMT) 22 Jun 2007; Hard with artifacts through the end of the game.

  2. #2
    Since I was working on most of this while others were sleeping (forum was quiet around that time), I thought I'd give this a bump to let people know that the Hard run with artifacts is now complete. SOME feedback would be nice

  3. #3
    Well it helped me out. Thanks! I was ready to give up and now I can continue and become even more frustrated!

  4. #4

    Thumbs Up

    I think it's a nice thing to have a save available for those players who are just plain stuck.

  5. #5
    Woah! Thanks for the Sticky!

    So far I've only done a complete run on Hard while collecting every artifact and relic. What other styles do you think people would want? I really wish there was a way to do a complete run through with a different outfit.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    2,053
    Great idea, Demarest. I may be back in the near future to take advantage of your services. Thanks.

  7. #7

    Thumbs Up

    Lol i Would Love to use it, But cant im on Console. Well i have a plus side to it i found a guy who has a Walkthrough video on the Internet. I will not post the Link or any site or name, because Im pretty sure it is against Forum rules

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Demarest View Post
    Woah! Thanks for the Sticky!

    So far I've only done a complete run on Hard while collecting every artifact and relic. What other styles do you think people would want? I really wish there was a way to do a complete run through with a different outfit.
    TR:AE SCU lite (Outfit & Level Chooser) at tombraiderforums.
    Demarest, you know about this utility, I've seen you there on page 4?
    (I just tried it, last night, with changing outfits at the Croft Manor.)
    And it did the outfit change and it started me, right at the beginning, again. . . But it also stripped Lara of her guns and grapple, within my completed level.

    (I had a "completed level" with only 6 out of 8 artifacts, so that TRA wouldn't start me all over, again. (Another PC difference, perhaps?) And there I was using the Gym for custom outfits, faces, texture work and warm-up practice, especially for grapple/wall run and jump problems. And then POOF, I had to do a complete re-run, just to get my little test spot, back in order. So, now, at least you have been warned, folks.)

  9. #9

    Thanks a Ton!

    The wall run with the blades was driving me crazy. The saves got me just past that point and I am able to be confused and aggravated once again...but enjoying the game.

    JJO

  10. #10

    Thanx But...

    Hey, thanx for the download because I lost my hole game and had only 2levels to go. But even if I load the level there are no relics or arifacts collected if I look at the level status. and there are no outfits or rewards unlocked when I go to the main menu of TRA. Maby I red something wrong but I would real like to know......

  11. #11
    I appreciate the artifacts. ^.^ Thank you!

  12. #12
    wildcat has brought up a very good point (thanks for the PM to remind me of this). The saves contain your position in the game world. Your PROFILE contains what all you've unlocked. So despite my best efforts, the saves will NOT give you anything except for passage beyond that point that's troubling you. Which will still be useful for some and with the exception of the artifact at the very top of one of the Khamoon levels, shouldn't make a difference.

    That's the bad news. The good news is that I'm going to look at this and see if there's a way to make a savegame editor to give you certain artifacts/relics. Would make a nice compliment for people like wildcat who are trying to get their entire gameplay back, not just pass a certain part.

  13. #13
    Thanx for the reply Demarest.

  14. #14
    (Demarest, this might sound silly, especially from a novice TRA raider.)

    But shouldn't you include your "Profile.TRAProfile", also?
    And if it is a really picky deal, include the actual name of your Profile within your documentation about your savegames?

    So, is this correct "My Documents/Eidos/whateverprofile"?

    (That way, a player simply starts his own profile with your Profile's name, before copying your stuff, and then he or she simply exits the game and then overlays all of his entries with all of your new savegame modules?)

    And heck, including your autosave.TRASave might help to keep things in complete and proper order? (Probably totally useless, but who knows for certain?)

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    So, is this correct "My Documents/Eidos/whateverprofile"?
    No. The whateverprofile should not be in the quotes since it is a placeholder and not verbatim. It was meant to indicate that Eidos isn't deep enough, but I can't know for sure what they've named their profile. A wildcard if you will. I assume you knew that and was just asking for the sake of informational completeness. Thanks for that; You're a true friend to the TRA community

    I've only just learned about the discrepency in the profile. I'm currently in the process of helping two people move, moving myself, filing for bankruptcy, and job hunting all at once. So I haven't had time to sit down and do a proper update to this thread and/or the research I'd like to. I'd rather dig into a hex editor and figure out how (if at all) one can go about toggling specific arts/relics. If I shared my profile, it would come with all my preferences too, and I think that would cause more problems/confusion that it would good. Especially as I stated above that if one uses the saves just to pass a point they're stuck at, they're still able to collect whichever ones they like. The only people who lose out, are ones like wildcat (sorry) who are using it to reconstitute the entirety of their progress. Cold as it may sound, that's going to be the rare exception to the rule I expect. I think I'd better serve the community by spelunking into the hex of a profile and learning how to teach others how to turn them on/off by themselves. Then some tooler could use my findings to write a simple tool to accomplish this for them.

    That's the plan anyways. Time is sparse for the next few weeks, so nobody hold their breath. I won't forget though because even after beating it probably six times now (at least twice to 100%), I can't seem to get enough of this game Another project I'd like to undertake is to use TRAFly to take aerial pics of areas and make a visual walkthrough that I'll host on my site

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Hey, thanx for the download because I lost my hole game and had only 2levels to go. But even if I load the level there are no relics or arifacts collected if I look at the level status. and there are no outfits or rewards unlocked when I go to the main menu of TRA. Maby I red something wrong but I would real like to know......
    Po Yu posted a pretty good set of profiles for our usage.

    (But you'll probably want to use this chopped-down version of his site.)
    And maybe, he should rename his secrets.zip to all-time-trials_NO-secrets.zip?

    But for my needs, I still have my old profile because I want to still earn them. So I simply started a new profile called ALL with just his Profile.TRAProfile, where I can easily view all of Lara's outfits using the Croft Mansion.

    *** Best of luck with ALL of your cares and woes, Demarest!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1

    problem with saves

    tried to use your save because i cannot defeat centaurs on pc tried all suggestions in threads regarding adrenalin move but have real problems with it and saw your saves and thought great i can skip centaur part, but i copied saves to my profile but game says save is damaged then i created new profile and again copied your save for tomb of tomb of qaulopec but again it says save damaged i think its because it needs your profile.trap.profile but not sure about this love the game but hate it when developers but in cheesy immposible pieces like this, it spoils the game and usually end up giving up.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    i copied saves to my profile but game says save is damaged then i created new profile and again copied your save for tomb of tomb of qaulopec but again it says save damaged i think its because it needs your profile.trap.profile
    I don't think this is the case at all because others have used them without having my profile. Is your game downloaded (warez or legitimately)? I have the US store bought TRA. If we're using different versions of the game, that MIGHT explain this.

  19. #19
    Anyone got the offical download version?
    Keitht, there has been some discussions about various TRA versions, along with some apparent savegame problems that were found during tests. So, you might want to give those a test shot?

    My tra.exe is a "1.0.0.0" version.
    (From an EIDOS Windows PC DVD)
    Size: 8.93 MB (9,369,752 bytes)
    Created Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 3:09:13 PM and then
    modified Tuesday, June 19, 2007, 3:09:16 PM (a bit strange?)

    But savegames might have to get to this level of detail, before you know what works for your particular tra.exe.

  20. #20

    Cool not all the check points

    thanks any way for your effort, but tomb raider chronichels have save games for each check point, so could you complete the job and did a save after each check point?

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Demarest View Post
    The second has to do with my discovery here that you CAN save your game even after you beat it
    Whoa, hold right there. How do you do that? I finished the game, I pick the level I want to play, but no option of saving or loading. How did you manage to make those options show up? I read that topic you started, but still haven't fully understood.

    Btw, gj on the saved games. I think it's a great thing you're doing, although I think that instead of working on a hard save with no artifacts (as I don't see the point in that), maybe it would be better to work on a medium with artifacts. That would be more useful in my opinion. Great work anyway

  22. #22
    Thanks, Rita. To answer your questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by RitaG18 View Post
    Whoa, hold right there. How do you do that? I finished the game, I pick the level I want to play, but no option of saving or loading. How did you manage to make those options show up? I read that topic you started, but still haven't fully understood.
    You have to load a save to be able to save. It's explained in that topic. If you have questions about it, you should ask there so we can keep that discussion together.

    Quote Originally Posted by RitaG18 View Post
    Btw, gj on the saved games. I think it's a great thing you're doing, although I think that instead of working on a hard save with no artifacts (as I don't see the point in that), maybe it would be better to work on a medium with artifacts. That would be more useful in my opinion.
    Well, it's since been realized that doing them WITH artifacts is a bust because the save will keep track of what artifact/relic pickups are available, but the profile keeps track of what was unlocked. So say you're the guy who just wanted to use my save to make up for a lost game. All the artifacts/relics I've picked up to that point won't be there if you Replay Level. In other words, using my saves will lock you out of such things. So I've been meaning to make another set without artifacts/relics just so there won't be that loss. Those using my saves just to pass a certain part shouldn't have any trouble since each save was made just before such a pickup and skipping ahead one step shouldn't stop you from being able to get that pickup.

    I'll start working on a set for medium no artifact/relics

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Demarest View Post
    So say you're the guy who just wanted to use my save to make up for a lost game. All the artifacts/relics I've picked up to that point won't be there if you Replay Level.
    Oh now I see your point. Yeah I guess you're right. Speaking off, where do all the time trials and stuff get saved? On the profile file itself? Say if you copy someone else's profile that didn't get any artifacts, but load your own saved games, what will hapen? Will you be at the same level you were at at the save but with no artifacts and time trials? Or is it the other way around?

  24. #24
    I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure. Near as I can tell, most everything is saved in the profile. Strangely enough, a good amount is saved in the autosave file as well. When I was trying to crack the possibility of having savegames in Croft Manor (to get past the bow bug), I almost hosed my original profile by trying to transfer the autosave over. The profile had everything unlocked, but if I went to play game, it treated me as if I had never played before. Once I passed Croft Manor in that profile, I was able to use saves again.

    I can say this much, the savegame contains whether or not certain pickups have been made or not. The profile keeps track of what rewards are unlocked. So I'm guessing that the answer to your time trials question would be the profile. To some degree, it's in memory. What I mean by that is if you go into a profile that has a cheat unlocked, play a game, turn that cheat on, then go back to the main menu and switch to a different profile, the cheat remains on even if that profile hasn't unlocked it yet. This works for as long as TRA is running. But if you exit the game, you can come back in and do the above steps over again

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Demarest View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure. Near as I can tell, most everything is saved in the profile. Strangely enough, a good amount is saved in the autosave file as well. When I was trying to crack the possibility of having savegames in Croft Manor (to get past the bow bug), I almost hosed my original profile by trying to transfer the autosave over. The profile had everything unlocked, but if I went to play game, it treated me as if I had never played before. Once I passed Croft Manor in that profile, I was able to use saves again.

    I can say this much, the savegame contains whether or not certain pickups have been made or not. The profile keeps track of what rewards are unlocked. So I'm guessing that the answer to your time trials question would be the profile. To some degree, it's in memory. What I mean by that is if you go into a profile that has a cheat unlocked, play a game, turn that cheat on, then go back to the main menu and switch to a different profile, the cheat remains on even if that profile hasn't unlocked it yet. This works for as long as TRA is running. But if you exit the game, you can come back in and do the above steps over again

    Oh, I see, thank you This is the reason I prefer avoiding to load someone else's save. I'm too scared that I will lose everything I earned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •