Thread: T-Rex battle. I ask the Devs why? WHY SO BLOODY HARD!

Thumbs Down T-Rex battle. I ask the Devs why? WHY SO BLOODY HARD!

I hate it when game Devs take an otherwise good game and kill it with some stupidly frustrating boss battle. I mean what exactly are we suppose to enjoy about the T-Rex battle? It takes a GAZILLION rounds of ammo to reduce the things health so basically you're spending 20 minutes and so monotonously clicking your mouse button till you begin to feel carpal tunnel syndrome set in only to lose your last bit of health when you got the T-Rex finally below 50% health.

I mean c'mon, endless button mashing? Redoing a boss battle over, and over, and over again hoping that finally this round you'll luck out? I thought I was playing an adventure game not some 3rd person-blister-on-trigger-finger shooter. Why couldn't the Devs set it up so after 100 rounds of ammo or even a 150 rounds of ammo puts the thing down. Sure make it challenging but what's the point in making it so bloody hard you send players scouring the internet for some glitch or cheat to get past the boss battle.

Seriously, I don't get it. Surely the Devs must've played the game, tested it out, did they actually honestly feel people would enjoy some agonizingly frustrating boss battle that never ends?

you have to find the pattern. Use adrenaline dodge. look for any spiky things lying around. use your imagination.

Smile

What you say is true, but i've discovered a learning curve since going through that agony. A particular puzzle comes to mind later in the game where you have a series of lowering platforms and spike platforms. I failed the first time so tried again. Even though I knew where to go, it was extremely difficult. I kept trying and found I was gradually getting further and further, the frustration was turning into excitment of reaching that final goal. It took around 8 or 9 attempts when I finally made it, and it was such a relief that I never wanted to do that again. But now later on I think i'd enjoy doing it again and feel I could make it in maybe 3 goes next time.

I believe one gets better with each go, it does feel like it gets easier.

So stick at it and you'll realise what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Gamer View Post
    It takes a GAZILLION rounds of ammo to reduce the things health so basically you're spending 20 minutes and so monotonously clicking your mouse button till you begin to feel carpal tunnel syndrome set in only to lose your last bit of health when you got the T-Rex finally below 50% health.
    If that little damage takes you that long you're simply doing it wrong.

Try searching the forum for how to dispose of the T-Rex quickly...

Just keep at it and you'll down Dino. I was so happy and less worried afterwards.
    signature image

I was really expecting to hate the t-rex battle (and all fighting in the game, actually), since I'm terrible with combat in general, and the addition of new special moves is almost enough to make me want to avoid a game entirely. But to my surprise I actually found it quite fun... although now I'm getting frustrated with the jumping puzzles which I'm usually pretty good at. But that's mostly a camera issue.

Anyway, I completely agree with est1856. I think the trick is to take in your surroundings, which I'll admit is kind of hard to do while you're trying to avoid being eaten, and approach it like another puzzle and not just a fight. Sometimes I'll do the same (failed) thing for fifteen tries before I realize I should be looking at it from a different angle. Then it usually works, or if not at least I get a little closer to figuring out the right way.

Same thing with the adrenaline move; it was really hard to get at first, but I kept practicing. Sometimes I'd even reload after I already successfully killed a minor enemy just to give it another try, because I knew it would help in the long run. I'm getting better, but not quite at the point where I can stop cheering whenever I pull it off.

Not sure if the puzzle approach works for any of the other bosses, since I haven't gotten to those yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's pretty much the series' MO.

I agree with the button mashing part, though. It's a little weird that they put in things like autograb and not needing to do anything to climb out of a pool, but made it so you have to hit the button for every time you want to shoot something. Okay then.

Ha, T-Rex battle is the easiest one , it took me 5 minutes using adrenaline dodge. Actually, without adrenaline dodge you can't beat any of the bosses in TRA. If you find T-Rex difficult, I wonder how you'll beat Centaurs!

I actually think that some of the puzzles are more frustrating than the T-Rex

It's actually awfully easy...I enjoy it a lot however I just don't like the fact you're confined to a space unlike the original, you can even bring out the raptors after encountering the T-rex but this is re-imaging of the game.

They should have thrown in a couple more raptors. Those were challenging.

In fact, seeing that CORE trailer..there were raptors when the T-rex came in.....

The T-Rex took me 13 times! took forever. )<
    Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
    My.DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Gamer View Post
    I hate it when game Devs take an otherwise good game and kill it with some stupidly frustrating boss battle. I mean what exactly are we suppose to enjoy about the T-Rex battle? It takes a GAZILLION rounds of ammo to reduce the things health so basically you're spending 20 minutes and so monotonously clicking your mouse button till you begin to feel carpal tunnel syndrome set in only to lose your last bit of health when you got the T-Rex finally below 50% health.

I mean c'mon, endless button mashing? Redoing a boss battle over, and over, and over again hoping that finally this round you'll luck out? I thought I was playing an adventure game not some 3rd person-blister-on-trigger-finger shooter. Why couldn't the Devs set it up so after 100 rounds of ammo or even a 150 rounds of ammo puts the thing down. Sure make it challenging but what's the point in making it so bloody hard you send players scouring the internet for some glitch or cheat to get past the boss battle.

Seriously, I don't get it. Surely the Devs must've played the game, tested it out, did they actually honestly feel people would enjoy some agonizingly frustrating boss battle that never ends?
    You're supposed to be casual gamer? Ha!
    signature image

A dizzy T Rex is like a school bus with no driver. It rams right into stuff and hurts itself. *hint hint*

Personaly, I didn't find the T-Rex all that difficult to defeat. Unlike some other level in the game. I'll shall refrain from mentioning that again though

The fight with the Rex was an adrenalin rush for ME! I never got to use the adrenalin dodge because I was too busy shooting... With the ridiculous set-up of camera, firing and gun aiming on the mouse and movement keys on the keyboard I was just lucky to end the fight by wearing out my right wrist.

This may not be such a problem if the game is played on a console but in general the controls for the pc are a mess.

And why oh why can't:

1. The camera follow Lara as in the early games

2. The game be saved when you tell it to save! There seems little point in having a manual save function if loading a save takes you back to the previous checkpoint which was automatically saved anyway!!!

Aggggh!

Awesome graphics though and Lara's lookin' good!!!!

Kind regards
    Roger

I cannot imagine how long you were shooting for if you killed Rexy without the focus attack....

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyGirl View Post
    I cannot imagine how long you were shooting for if you killed Rexy without the focus attack....
    Oh it took a very long time indeed and about 3 medipacks loaded in pause mode but I got there in the end - my right wrist will never be the same again after all that mouse-spanking!

Wouldn't have been so bad if the interactive video sequence at the end of the fight hadn't refused to display the trigger pics/icons needed to survive the Rex's final thrust..... Lara died 1000 deaths that day - literally! - before I tricked the sequence into displaying those things.

The things we go through for Lara....

kind regards
    Roger

I really enjoy the T-rex fight. It's almost a bit too easy, but it makes you think it's hard because the graphics and sounds are so good, so it feels scarier than it is.

I think the trick is to remain calm. Sounds corny, I know, but it's true. Always run to the opposite side of the valley and just keep plugging away at the t-rex until he starts raging. Then, CALM DOWN. Stop shooting. Stand still. Let him charge you, and wait patiently for the right moment. When the time comes, press Left or Right, and then hit SHIFT (make sure you're moving BEFORE you hit SHIFT, otherwise, Lara will just crouch down, which is counterproductive.) If you're playing on EASY mode, you'll actually see the icon telling you exactly when you can do this, which makes it very simple.

Once you start the adrenaline dodge, you should STILL REMAIN CALM. You'll see the cross hairs on the screen, coming towards each other. Again, don't start shooting, just wait. When the crosshairs meet, you'll here a beat. Then just press the mouse button and shoot. The t-rex will take a LOT of damage if you do it right. While he's getting his bearings, run back across to the other side of the valley and repeat. When done properly, it's surprisingly easy to get through the fight without taking ANY damage.

The reason I had trouble with the fight the first time I did it is because I panicked, and I just kept shooting wildly, non-stop. That won't work in this case.
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.