View Poll Results: Original vs Anniversary?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original

81 46.82%
  • Anniversary

75 43.35%
  • Crispy (LOL)

17 9.83%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the obvious poll

Quote Originally Posted by pot View Post
    You know I don't even know how people can say that Anniversary is a better game.
    Mm, when I review peoples' comments about Anniversary and their comparison to Tomb Raider 1, I find that many tend to have negative comments about Tomb Raider 1, because they never played that game back in the time when it was first released.

I remember when it was first released in 1996 and by god, it was flipping amazing. I couldn't comprehend it, there wasn't another game like it at that time. I was left speechless by it.

lol I think many people missed out on a great experience if they didn't play Tomb Raider 1 or Tomb Raider 2 in the hype at that time. It's something I always consider when I make comparisons to other Tomb Raider games as I find it illogical to compare graphics of two generations.

(even until today, I'm still that terrified to play Tomb Raider [i], my goodness)
    Me 2!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Willard
    I think many people missed out on a great experience if they didn't play Tomb Raider 1 or Tomb Raider 2 in the hype at that time...
    I'm sooo on your side with that opinion Dr.Willard. It's infuriating when I see all these kids raving on about Legend & Anniversary and how the old-skool TRs are a load of rubbish when they've not even played them and weren't around when the games were initially released. TR1 & 2 had a far bigger impact than Legend or Anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Willard
    ...I find it illogical to compare graphics of two generations.
    Illogical, yes, but what else can the kids do? They haven't played the original titles, so what else have they got to go on apart from the superficial? And don't forget that, in this day & age, the graphics are all that matter (apparently). No one seems to care if Underworld is ultimately going to be shorter than a midget stood in a hole, so long as the creases in Lara's wetsuit look right and she generally looks fantastic.

Anniversary. What the hell does crispy mean?

I suppose it means both in a positive or negative pov?

And I also find it darn unfair people compare the graphics with TR I and Anniversary - I mean c'mooooon obviously they would differ so much from the years apart. I respect people's opnions but yes, I'm glad to have experienced the magic at that time and it's still living with me today

I think that, although the graphics nowadays are crisper and more defined, in a way the old TR games just looked more solid. I felt more like I was really in this vast ancient labyrinth of catacombs. And also to bring up the controls yet again, in TR1 Lara moved slower, but it felt more real because it created the illusion that you actually had to allow her to gain some momentum. These days you press forward and she just springs into a run.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    I know, but get a puzzle game or something for that thing. Tomb RAider is just not a teeny weeny eye strain experience. I think you're handicapping the game in that regard. Have you looked at Echochrome at all? Not that's a skull-scratcher!
    Never heard of that echochrome, it's not a skull scratcher you say? Or it is?

The PSP has spawed a lot of so called "puzzle" games that don't really demand that much lateral thinking.

Anyway, I was rather hoping for some cool games like Oddworld and a playable Tomb Raider game when I bought it, but it turned out I was sold PUP really not a PSP, a lot of people feel that way.

I don't see what is stopping them releasing PS1 games on it, I really don't. I happily settle for playing the old ones again.

er anniversary
    :nut:Tomb Raider 4 Life:nut:

TRA has better graphics but TR1 is a classic, plus its fun to go back and see how much its changed.

So my answer is... crispy! Whatever that means.

@TR-Fan-4-Eva-
    You didn't even play TR1! How can you vote against something that you didn't play!?

Quote Originally Posted by Spong View Post
    I'm sooo on your side with that opinion Dr.Willard. It's infuriating when I see all these kids raving on about Legend & Anniversary and how the old-skool TRs are a load of rubbish when they've not even played them and weren't around when the games were initially released. TR1 & 2 had a far bigger impact than Legend or Anniversary.
    Definitely. The impact was huge. You could mention Lara's name and anyone who owned a Playstation 1 would instantly recognise it.

Quote Originally Posted by TombRaiderPrincess View Post
    You didn't even play TR1! How can you vote against something that you didn't play!?
    That's probably why TRA is winning...

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    That's probably why TRA is winning...
    Sadly the Classic TR fans are slowly fading away; it's not about the classic and memorable moments anymore, it's just about how good/better the graphics look compared to the originals...

how is this obvious it's a really tuf choice

Quote Originally Posted by lilhanhan View Post
    Sadly the Classic TR fans are slowly fading away; it's not about the classic and memorable moments anymore, it's just about how good/better the graphics look compared to the originals...
    If you think the "show pony" games are prominent in this genre... (then you probably haven't played too many recent shooters...)

Ayup All...

I was just thinking about the time when when i stopped playing SPECTRUM games, and started to play Playstation games like TR. compared to then,i think that 'new' players today on 'modern' consoles are REALLY spoiled rotten. Albeit with better Graphics, but easier gameplay.

And the same goes for the differences between Speccy and PS games too. with spectrum platformers, you had to be ON THE MONEY to jump and manouvre round.this has stood me in good stead for games like Anniversary and Legend. And has made them almost a piece of cake to get around. At least all you have to look around for in some instances now, is a white ledge!

And if you thought it was hard to hit the 'Action' buttons In Legend for an Adrenaline dodge, THAT kind of timing and exactness was the NORM in Speccy platformers... you've got it easy folks...

Old Bugger, ain't I?

ANNIVERSARY
    It was the best re-make ever made!!!

I voted 'Crispy' because this poll is not obvious at all, in my opinion. How can you compare two games so drastically different in looks and style, even if they are supposed to be two versions of the same game? The original Tomb Raider still feels fresh and atmospheric, and its gameplay is still solid to this day.

Both are undoubtedly good games, but I say you can't compare them, because they're both too different and too alike.

I just started playing TR1...
    It's annoying that I'm comparing from the other way around (New -> old rather than old -> new), but I'm really enjoying it. (Also have the opposite view of having played TRA but not TR1).
    Only completed the first level so far, and I'd have to think that TR1 version was shorter + more simple than TRA... but I think it's great so far
    (It's a shame, I suppose, that some surprises are ruined for me. )

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    (It's a shame, I suppose, that some surprises are ruined for me. )
    Don't worry, you'll find some big changes in a few levels and also watch out the enemies, they still manage to make you jump at times!

Come on everyone, anniversary is clearly better cuz of da story plot. da!

Yeah, I think you'll be surprised plenty, RG. I think you'll understand why some of use complain about how some levels were truncated, like Palace Midas and the Colosseum.

Well, I know this may come as a shock, but I voted Anniversary. It has flaws but the Tomb Raider essence is all in there and I'm excited about its potential. I guess Underworld is going to be the real proving ground here.

Quote Originally Posted by lilhanhan
    I feel your pain lil, I really do

In answer to the poll. Since I have never played TR 1, I'll default to Anniversary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, this unsavory "console war" has reduced gaming from Fun & Enjoyment to Comparing Pixels in both 360 and PS3 versions of the same games.

It's also pathetic that we're blitzed by both all developers for Microsoft and Sony. Or maybe the war originated by MS and Sony themselves. Since this console generation, there have been numerous consumers who were/are stressing about this.

I think of graphics the way I used to think of "store bought" birthday cakes. All pretty and delicious looking. One time my mom relented and got me one. It didn't taste nearly as good as my mother's homemade sheet cake.

Sooner or later, gamers will tire of good looks that taste bland and want something that isn't as pretty but is a lot better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast