View Poll Results: Original vs Anniversary?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original

81 46.82%
  • Anniversary

75 43.35%
  • Crispy (LOL)

17 9.83%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the obvious poll

I wouldn't be surprised is more than a handful haven't had a chance to play TR1. It's not super easy to get unless you're willing to chance a used PS1 copy or are comfortable doing all the PC gyrations to get it to run on a newer OS.

ORIGINAL OF COURSE!!!

But god the neutral answer was so funny it was tempting me to click on i so much!

Quote Originally Posted by TessaTombRaider007 View Post
    The original for the music, and the memories.
    There is no Tomb Raider that can equal the atmosphere created by the music in the original. Some may argue that Anniversary is a better game, I don't agree with that personally, but there is no way you can argue that Anniversary is a better TOMB RAIDER game.

Cool

I voted for the original for the same reasons Tessa gave.

Remakes or even re-imaginings can never feel/be the same as the original. TRA was a very good effort though.

Lol I play the music so much, that not only my family, but my dog runs the other way!!!!

My mom can't what for TR8 to come out, because I won't shut up!!!

wow this poll didnt turn out to be as obvious as I thought

Did you mean obvious that it was bound to be polled, or obvious that you thought the original was going to win hands down?

You know I don't even know how people can say that Anniversary is a better game- I am playing it now and I am trying to do a simple thing like jump on top of a block, and then from there onto a ledge and i can't even get that to work. I can't position Lara in the right direction. When I try to jump onto the block Lara just slides off it to the side, then I have to try to reposition her again.

Absolutely pathetic.

Getting onto a block can be problematic, true. I find I have the most success when I try from a distance (jump) or come to a complete standstill and then press X.

And getting onto blocks and jumping from them to another block was kind of a major feature of the original tomb raider games wasn't it?

Sure, but that's about all there was: blocks. Put together about as creatively as you can get, sure, but still blocks.

Where are you in the game BTW?

It wasn't all block. But blocks are what large buildings are made of aren't they, so logically tomb raider games should include blocks, and probably large ones at that since ancient tomb were normally made of larger blocks. The new games also have blocks too, it's just now you can't very adeptly leap to and fro them.

I just killed T Rex, and I'm now progressing through the game waiting for the next point at which I get frustrated with the gameplay and put it down again until the next time I'm bored.

Yes, TRA has better graphics and is better detailed and Lara doesn't look like one of those LEGO men, but my love for the original is far greater. But TRA isn't far behind in that bucket of love. C'mere T-Rex! I WANT A HUG, YOU BIG LUG! <3 =)

Quote Originally Posted by pot View Post
    You know I don't even know how people can say that Anniversary is a better game
    I also cant find it possible!

This 1st game made a REVOLUTION in gaming. Sure it doesnt look as good for our standarts now but its far more fun to play then anniversary, and a lot harder to play then anniversary. The controls are great! Yes AOD's were buggy but in teh classics, teh controls listen t you completely. whatever you tell lara to do - she will do it.

Not to mention that this game created an ICON, recognized by everyone

Ayup All...

TR1 Original for me...

You never forget the first one of anything, do you?

Ah. So you're not very far into the game. I will warn you the secrets are very well hidden. You're almost to the Folly, and the Folly is A-grade remake. It's not all A-grade, but the Folly will have you scratching your head in a good way.

I was disappointed that they didn't have that bit with the atmospheric music in Anniversary. They secret places are indeed hard to find though, there was one before I tried for ages to find out the way to get to it but I had to give up in the end. It is a bit like playing the game though a letterbox with the PSP.

Yeah, I don't know why you want to play games in teeny-weeny eye strain vision. I can't do it.

I want to fit it in my pocket and play it on the train.

I respect those who like Anniversary better than the original HOWEVER no matter what people say to me, TR 1 will always be my no.1. Not only 'cause it was my first PS/Tomb Raider game but the magic, atmosphere and all that - Crystal D did good in Anniversary but they still can't capture the original feel. Even until today, I still wonder how Core's final finished version of their project would look like. Honestly there was more magic from that leaked trailer than the whole Anniversary game itself. I felt more nostalgia. Sometimes, I wish Anniversary was more of a remake than a reimagining. O well I still enjoy it

You know how every thing is more Exciting when your a little kid, like 3 years of age. It's funny when I hear the music, I get a feeling that words can never express. I will never ever forget siting there, watching my dad play TR1.
    I was 12 when I played TR1 and beet it, I' am replaying TR2, it's still really fun,
    just not like when I was 3.

Haha I'm also replaying TR II

And yeah I know what you mean. Whenever I play TR I, I get that same feeling when I first played Tomb Raider. This not only brings back so much childhood memories but it brings me in my childhood every time I plau (even until today, I'm still that terrified to play Tomb Raider [I], my goodness)

For me, I was 9 in 1999, and my brother, in fact, introduced me to the game because he was scared saying 'Josh you gotta come see this game it's creepy!' and that was the opening FMV to the caves

I've not long finished replaying the original and I'm currently replaying Anniversary. TR1 is indeed a game enshrined in gaming history and it is without doubt a timeless classic and I'm sure not a few of us left our hearts in its caves, temples and tombs.

I think most of us thought Tomb Raider was dead when AOD came out. Funerals were held worldwide, in every country on every continent. The sense of loss was profound and all we had left were our cherished memories.

However, while replaying Anniversary, my heart has become embroidered once again within caves, temples and tombs, and for the first time I find myself not looking back with wistful nostalgia but looking forward to where we're going.

Crystal have done the impossible bringing us OUR Tomb Raider back. Thanks Crystal.

Impossible?

And they didn't bring Tomb Raider back, they brought us a game that looks like Tomb Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by est1856 View Post
    Now that i'm getting into the game, I definatly prefer Anniversary because it looks so much prettier. I also like the ledge shimmys and jumps. I don't like the checkpoints though, i'd like to have the choice of saving as I did in the original.
    i agree with everything u said! i voted for anniversary cus of the brill graphics and the unbelievable gameplay! story - hmmm...pretty much the same. (but TR1 was there first of all so i still luv it!)

Quote Originally Posted by pot View Post
    I want to fit it in my pocket and play it on the train.
    I know, but get a puzzle game or something for that thing. Tomb RAider is just not a teeny weeny eye strain experience. I think you're handicapping the game in that regard. Have you looked at Echochrome at all? Not that's a skull-scratcher!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast