Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The General *Disappointment* Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Capkeez View Post
    Oh and btw, remember that this is a remake of the very first game. I don't THINK that she had killed anyone before that, and she was not as experienced at the time. I suppose it's acceptable that she is scared for doing something new like killing a person. I think you would be a little nervous too if you were going to fight a T-rex.
    This is what i feel. No flaming please.
    This was not her first adventure.... . That's why Natla hired her...because she had a reputation. And no I don't expect Lara to be scared...she's a crazy wench. She smiles and gets off on the adrenaline rush! this version has Lara looking like a punk...

And like my friend told me when he was showing me how to shoot....you don't carry guns if you don't plan to use then

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroBoy View Post
    The whole game was a dissapointment.

And the enemies were easy to kill. The T-Rex, Natla, that thing at the beginning of the last level. All too easy.

Rant over.
    If you though the t-rex was too easy to kill in this one, you must have absolutely despised the t-rex in the original, considering how much easier it was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyGirl
    And like my friend told me when he was showing me how to shoot....you don't carry guns if you don't plan to use then
    That doesn't mean you have to ENJOY using them. Police officers carry guns, but plenty of them don't get a rush out of shooting people, and many are actually deeply bothered when they HAVE to use them. Soldiers carry guns, but some get traumatized over actually having to kill someone at close range. In fact, I think anyone who can look someone in the eye and kill them without feeling anything is a bit deranged.

I like the fact that Lara seems to have a conscience these days. In the old games, she was almost as bad as the villains. Breaking into museums and shooting the security guards? Killing construction workers in the Chunnel? Breaking into Von Croy's building and killing his employees so she could steal from him? It became harder and harder to see Lara as the protagonist.

I also like the fact that she's scared when encountering the t-rex. It's a fricken T-REX! She ought to be scared. Remember Indiana Jones looked pretty damn scared when the boulder came after him in Raiders. That's what makes a hero brave-- dealing with situations that make them scared. If they have no fear about anything, they're not really being brave by doing what they do. (besides, we don't know if Lara was scared in TR1 when facing the T-Rex because we never got to see her face.)
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

Actually, I found the T-Rex easier to kill in this one, rather than the original.

but it's still a big fricken dinosaur. a carnivorous one.

I agree seeing a giant Trex in flesh 65 million years after (we've been told) they all died out would be a maalox moment for anyone.

As for Lara getting all misty about killing a person, I haven't seen the scene. I don't like knowing too much about Lara though. They've fleshed her out too much in the newer games. I preferred the enigma Lara who was really a loose cannon and played by her own rules. Don't get me wrong--I didn't really like Lara invading government installations and killing government employees doing their jobs; I do think that's a bit OOC for what I think Lara is all about. On the other hand, it's just a game and you have shoot enemies in a TR game. Just one of the game's gimmicks.

But neither do I think a woman who is as skilled and packs as much weaponry as Lara would get too broken up over killing a guy who would have killed her (or worse.)

Even if you inject all the new "touchy-feely" stuff into Lara, the truth is she plays a rough game with rough individuals. She lives on the edge of an unregulated and very competitive "industry." She knows she's not the only person out there looking for these one of a kind items, and she's as desperate and determined to get her hands on them as the other guy is. They all know the score, and they all take the risk. It's a high stakes game where winners takes all and losers take a dirt bath.

the trex battle would have to be a tie in toughness.
    in the original you are totally unprepared for it and when the trex rounds the corner you have no where to run. upon your first entry into the lost world, you most likely end up battling the trex outside. lara is too slow to not take damage from the trex. if you manage to discover the cavern entrance and get inside then its fairly easy, its just a matter of making him appear on your screen. that is of course taking the easy way out-- at least there was a choice!
    in TRA the trex battle is impossible to win without using the adrenaline dodge move. considering moves like that are designed so that everyone will be able to use them, they are simple to learn and execute. the only way you can die against the trex in TRA is by your own error of not pressing the correct keys. lara is certainly fast enough to out maneuver the trex.

i prefer to not have cutscenes introducing bosses, and i certainly didnt like the confined arena setup.

boss fights to me are boring and worthless. there is a pre-determined way to kill them, and once you figure that out it becomes a repetitive boring sequence. of course, leading up to the "ah-ha" moment is incredibly infuriating as you can shoot as many bullets as lara carries and still not do any damage! silly IMO. more empty gameplay that took designers hours upon hours to think up. kind of similar to all of the ledges.

I killed the T Rex the SAME way on TR1

back when I could do my own side jumps and dodging

didn't need no fancy schmancy focus hocus pocus attacks

Did anyone notice, that during the interactive T-Rex cutscene, you run back in the direction of the way you entered the lost valley, but after it you pop up outside a temple the other end of the valley?

Copying & short game

My Disappointment is them copying in "Speedkill" idea from prince of persia 3, which takes the skill away.
    And few levels like TR: Legends.

this game is frustrating as all get out...I don't know if it's good or bad anymore. Fighting to get to the top of the pyramid, and the camera angles and the will she/nill she grapple, and the stupid checkpoint system are just irking me to no end.

I miss whatever game it was you could save whenever so when I finished fighting something I could save and then focus on my next move instead of having to fight it over and over again because the following moves lead to death until you know what you need to do....

And having to constantly refocus the camera, while jumping to avoid enemies, while having to press the fire button constantly instead of just being able to auto fire is really bugging...why do I have to press so many buttons at one time?

I agree the button mashing has been overdone in this game.

I got to Egypt last night. The only disappointment I've had so far is that the Temple of Midas ended. That level was pure genius.

Thumbs Down

Quote Originally Posted by MercuryRapids View Post
    My main gripe is in some of the puzzles when you spend ages getting to a certain point (jumping, climbing, jumping again, climbing again etc.), then you have to do one last jump (quickly, obviously, as the pole/switch/ladder etc. is descending and your target is rapidly becoming unreachable) and Lara decides to jump either the wrong way or not at all. Then you have to start all over again... Just find it annoying, that's all, but that's what the game's about, I suppose.
    I have to agree with you there. The main problem is resetting the camera to position it behind her again. WHY? What ever happened to the "fixed" camera like it use to be when Core Designs was making the TR games. I am so sick and tired of having to load/reload 10 to 15 times because of the "new" camera views. Like when you have to make a backwards jump. the camera is now in front of Lara, Your sliding down, you have to 1st press "J" button to turn the camera behind her again, then press space to jump and hope like HEL* you make it. Thats CRAZY! I think there needs to be an "option" (meaning if you want that feature or not) to have the fixed camera, and yes even a quick save. I like a challenge, but not like this. I have to stop playing for awhile because this game pisses me off so much. Just my opinion though.
    So far I have to give this game about a 2 out of a 10 review. Also. Why can't they leave Lara alone? I mean she looked awesome in Legends. Now she has boobs like Pam Anderson. She is a Tomb raider not a Life Guard at Bay watch. If I want to see big boobs, I will watch Bay watch. Again just my opinion.

Yes I also found the camera angles pretty bad,they really must do something about this in the next game. I personally didn't like the grapple or the adrenalin dodge, I found that these skills we're more trouble than they're worth. I could live with the grapple, simply because it worked most of the time but the adrenalin dodge was a pure pain to pull off and for me, not really worth the aggravation! (I say get rid of it for the next installment) other than that..... it's a good game.

I'm disappointed that so many peeps are disappointed.

Well I have to honestly say that I have been a long time loyal TR fan. Up until TRL, That one was not as bad as this one. I was upset about the free look camera view in that one, but not as difficult as TRA. If CD is going to continue making TR games this way. I won't be a TR fan any longer let alone buy them anymore. I actually liked TR: AOD, I know alot that did not. I know Core Designs was not going in the direction Eidos liked, but they could have discussed it alittle longer. I take that 2 back..Make it a 1 or 0. This game and any other game for that matter is suppose to be fun...HA HA, its done nothing but piss alot of people off from what I've read so far. I really hope Edios or CD actually reads they're own forums, and listens. If you do...Word of advice to you. It is suppose to be about making the customer happy, and your not doing that. You might just lose your customers! That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by davyrocket View Post
    Well I have to honestly say that I have been a long time loyal TR fan. Up until TRL, That one was not as bad as this one. I was upset about the free look camera view in that one, but not as difficult as TRA. If CD is going to continue making TR games this way. I won't be a TR fan any longer let alone buy them anymore. I actually liked TR: AOD, I know alot that did not. I know Core Designs was not going in the direction Eidos liked, but they could have discussed it alittle longer. I take that 2 back..Make it a 1 or 0. This game and any other game for that matter is suppose to be fun...HA HA, its done nothing but piss alot of people off from what I've read so far. I really hope Edios or CD actually reads they're own forums, and listens. If you do...Word of advice to you. It is suppose to be about making the customer happy, and your not doing that. You might just lose your customers! That is all.
    The game is not perfect and I have my own problems with some aspects of the game. But overall I feel it is a great game and so do alot of people. They are not going to lose their customers because the amount of people who are really unhappy with the game seem to be a small minority.

There's so much good that can be said about this game, but since this is a "bad" topic, I''ll chime in with the many others about the repetitive ledge/wall/slamming walls/jumping obstacles. Obviously jumping and ledges are an integral aspect of Tomb Raider, but the difficulty of just manoeuvring some of the physical obstacle/jumps was way over the top. If a maneuver requires more than a few tries by many people, then something is very wrong. And when these obstacles follow one after the other, after the other, etc., etc., then the game becomes a chore rather than a joy. The goal is to entertain not torture gamers.

Now, obviously there are some that enjoy this level of difficulty and that is why there should be a HARD setting for gameplay. Easy, should mean that you can maneuver with relative ease through the game, and Medium means some difficulty, but its not a friggin B(Word) to get through.

Likewise with adredline dodges. If the gamer likes, turn the option on. But it should be an option, not a mandatory manuever. Some, if not most, like to take down our Rex and and Horseys the old fashion way.

Frankly Peru and the Grecko Roman levels were near perfect. Egypt, things started to go way too difficult and monotounes to be enjoyable by many.

You have it in your CD. You proved yourself with Peru and Greece Levels.

There's so much good that can be said about this game, but since this is a "bad" topic, I''ll chime in with the many others about the repetitive ledge/wall/slamming doors/jumping obstacles. Obviously jumping and ledges are an integral aspect of Tomb Raider, but the difficulty of just manoeuvring some of the physical obstacle/jumps was way over the top. If a maneuver requires more than a few tries by many people, then something is very wrong. And when these obstacles follow one after the other, after the other, etc., etc., then the game becomes a chore rather than a joy. The goal is to entertain not torture gamers.

Now, obviously there are some that enjoy this level of difficulty and that is why there should be a HARD setting for gameplay. Easy, should mean that you can maneuver with relative ease through the game, and Medium means some difficulty, but its not a friggin B(Word) to get through.

Likewise with adrenaline dodges. If the gamer likes this, turn the option on. But it should be an option, not a mandatory maneuver. Some, if not most, like to take down our Rex and and Horsies the old fashion way--guns blazing using agility and killer instinct wits.

Frankly, Peru and the Greco Roman levels were near perfect. Egypt, things started to go way too difficult and monotonous to be enjoyable by many.

You have it in your CD. You proved yourself with Peru and Greece Levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai004 View Post
    I'm disappointed that so many peeps are disappointed.
    Amen. I realize this is the complaint thread, but...

I'm seeing a few posts saying Eidos lied to them. WAY back before Jurassic Park was even in theaters, you could get Jurassic Park cups at Burger King. It was then that I realized that too much hype is just going to take away from the experience. I knew nothing about this game going into it except that it was meant to be a kinda sorta not really remake of the first. I LOVE the first, so I was interested. I played Croft Manor first (as always) and the complexity, visuals, and methods of puzzle solving had me giggling. I knew I was in for a real treat. More on that in a moment...

In the early days, the rigid, mathematical style of Lara's movements was what put the most people off. I am logical by nature, so I adored the predictability of her motion. I can't think of a single other game that delivers in this manner. As time marched on and technology evolved, I knew the day would come for Lara to be mouse controllable. I honestly had no idea how they were going to pull it off. Despite controls being the #1 gripe in this thread, I thought they did a fantastic job. And since I had not played Legend, the movements available to me and the complexity of Croft Manor let me know I was in for a real treat. This was hype based on experience, not words from a producer that's going to say good words because he's selling a product.

I am a long time Tomb Raider fan. I even have a lesser PC that I keep JUST because TR requires an ISA sound card. Starting with 2, we got more into cityscapes and fighting people. It's not what TR was about and it didn't make it fun. Still, the ability to flip under water, the Grenade Launcher... It was a good game. 3's ability to hope worlds was innovative. I can't say that I much cared for it though since again, more cityscapes and fighting people. LR (4) was a breath of fresh air. A major return to TOMB raiding. The ability to move in and out of worlds was innovative but actually made the game feel more labor-intensive than is enjoyable. Chronicles was alright. Small, but that's all it was supposed to be. AOD... this is where the series lost me. I never finished the game and not because I got stuck somewhere. The challenge was there, and I like the presumed bad girl avoiding multiple groups premise. But city scapes again! I never played Legend. The trailers were magnificent, but I couldn't justify picking it up having never finished AOD. BTW, I did play the Golds as well.

A little more history into myself if I may. As I probably gave away with my Jurassic Park in theaters comment, I'm older. I used to have an Atari 2600. I had a NES and a SMS where games HAD to have good gameplay to survive because they could not sell themselves on the graphics front. As the technology got better, I saw more and more games getting worse because they were relying too much on visuals. What do we have here? Remarkably stunning game... that is shorter than the original. BUT, Anniversary wasn't at all lacking in the gameplay department. Yes, how to proceed was frequently obvious, and this is to its detriment. Still, some of the puzzles were hard climbing the chute to the third Scion left me frequently taking breathers after segments because they were just that exhilirating. Thinking back to how long and complex TR's levels were, this one could've been more elaborate. Still, as its own game and as a remake, this game wasn't at all disappointing.

In fact, one of my complaints about the TR series was that the games weren't that replayable. Once you knew the puzzles, it was mostly busy work with the nostalgia being the only source of enjoyment. With unlockables, a time trial mode, varying difficulties... Anniversary has more replay value than the rest of the series combined. I'm looking forward to that, and in a stunning setting.

Notice lots of complaints about the camera too. My only complaint there is that 20 is max mouse sensitivity. The mouse feels like it has a delay, so 20 was really just where it started to become pallatable. That said, there were only two times the camera disappointed me. The first being ANY time I was on a ledge and some critter was just beneath me and I was shooting them. Not that I HAD to look down, but if I wanted to, I had to keep moving my mouse up. By nature, you can only move a mouse so far I don't want to have to keep picking it up to watch the animal I'm shooting. The other time was in Natla's mines, climbing down the ladder towards the blue circuit. I hadn't been down there yet, so I wanted to see what I was approaching. The confined chute meant I wasn't able to see at all.

Since I seem to have only good things to say about the game, what are me complaints? The first may seem silly to others, but it matters to me. The PC game MUST be played in 32-bit graphics. I keep my desktop at 16 bit because HOMM3 requires that to be able to play in windowed mode. As such, I run all my games in 16-bit so that alt+tabbing in and out of the game doesn't wear out my monitor by switching modes and also doesn't keep me waiting. Not true here. My other complaint is that some of the menus ingame REQUIRE the Enter key to be pressed. Not what you have set for Fire or Interact or just any old button (like when you find new items). The ENTER button only. Well with my left hand on WASD and my right on the mouse, this isn't at all useful to me. Sure I could just sweep with the mouse but... that delay again. Neither of these detract from gameplay though, so no biggie just the same.

Sometimes the puzzles stumped me. Othertimes, my path seemed a little on the easy side. I too found most all artifacts/relics my first time through, which is disappointing and a direct price for fairly linear level paths. Sometimes the enemies seemed scarce, sometimes sparse. At the end of the day, you just have to accept that this is a new game whether it resembles an old one or not. Being that I"ve played TR many times over the years, I felt the game had a good mix of familiar areas and new ones. But I think if every poster in this thread never knew a thing about the game until they were playing it and kept an open mind that this IS a new game, almost all of the complaints would be wiped out. Yes, I sometimes jumped forward off a wall run when I tried to jump backwards. Yes I sometimes found myself overrunning or underjumping some ledge to ledge. With all the improvements and for the first time since TR actually adhering to the TOMB RAIDER aspect of the game, I think all is forgiven and then some.

Lastly, I just wanted to comment on the complaints about killing Larson and Lara's conscience struggle. As somebody pointed out, nobody's happy to take a human life. I've been in self-defense situations where just having to decide whether or not to pull a gun on somebody (that was begging for it!) left me queezy for three days. Liberals tell us to fear guns, Hollywood overglorifies guns, which only make the sheep fear them worse. I was very happy to see Lara portrayed as somebody who spelunkered for sport and wasn't looking to kill another human being. The only part about that that was wrong is that he was going to kill her, so it wasn't like she murdered him. But the story reflected this, which is a refreshing change of pace. The video game industry takes a lot of heat for such things and while I think they should continue on just to piss off all the right people, it's a nice alternative that showed that her guns were tools of survival, not weapons of mass destruction.

Oh, and call me crazy, but I was very happy to see Stella's name in the credits. Being that this was an hommage to the series and the players, this was just the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by raidermaniac View Post
    I hope that TR8 will be more complex
    Anniversary IS the eighth Tomb Raider.

Lara gets the Midas' touch (possible spoiler alert)

for PC version of TR:A

I got to the Palace of Midas level and I tried the famous "golden touch death" on Lara but I'm disappointed with the results.

1. Back in TR1 when Lara noticed she was getting transformed she started to struggle and moan and screams in pain, in TRA Lara the gold transformation is way too fast and apparently there no struggle attempt nor even a whimper.

2. Graphics glitches: Lara's long ponytail, pistols and shotguns and parts of her fingers can be seen unaffected by the transformation, come on fix this bug.

3. Low polygon Lara model: The gold Lara model reveals just how low quality its polygon counts once the original texture and bump maps are replaced with gold maps, it looked as if the blocky TR1 Lara model has returned, oh my. Crystal Dynamics TR design team should have used better gold texture and bump maps, and might want even consider boost some more polygons into Lara to improve model quality.

I'm running the game at max settings, effects all on and antialiasing at 4X, display resolution at 1280X800 so I don't somehow think this may anyway be hardware limitations or problems.

CPU: Pentium Dual-Core (T2060) clocking at 1.6 GHz
    RAM: 2 Gb
    Graphics device: nVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 with 256 Mb VRAM

Unhappy well..........

i read all the threads and i respect everybody opinion .but Lara movement are no more so natural and predictable like was untill CD take the charge.......this is not a shooter game to need mouse...... this is adventure game..... cameras dont folow lara how sould.....swiming is a pain in the ass......jumping wich need precision is pain in the ass too grappling is a bad joke cos pointles movement....jumping up is a joke too cos lara jump so high like my grandma after broke she's legg........levels are short and moustly strightforward..............total sadness ......

Cistern: ONE boooooooooooring puzzle, i mean come on?
    Colloseum: That was... short and easy and.. .Dissapointing
    Whole atlantis: I cant believe they changed the awsome platform jumping -diffrerent puzzle's to platform wall run over and over again. And final conflict wasnt tense at all, where was the shaking? The sound of collapsing? I felt i could take my time on my way out of the exploding pyramid..
    Palace Midas: Where was the swirch puzzle? They didnt even replace it.. They just removed it. And where is the fourth lead bar? Or right.. its allready inside and turned into gold.. It was the most complicated and fun one to get
    Tomb of Tihocan: Dosent count as a level. After the cistern you jump in some water, swim, pull a switch, fight a boss and your done.. I know the cistern and ToT was combined, but they were short..

I thought this game was going to be 'bigger' they cut down something in every level. Blerh!

However, i LOVE the game I just hate those things, and possibly more, but cant think of more ATM.

I’m surprised that more people aren't upset about the City of Vilcabamba level. It was beautiful I must admit, but everything had been downsized and scrunched together.

I’m not forgiving Crystal for the atrocious mansion anytime soon. Once again we are ripped off of her beautiful estate. Now that Winston has lost all his weight he can out run Lara and beat her to every room of the house? Creepy...

Other than that...absolutely loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara Cruz View Post
    And where is the fourth lead bar? Or right.. its allready inside and turned into gold.. It was the most complicated and fun one to get
    There only ever were THREE gold bars.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast