Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: So, about Dark Eden...

So, about Dark Eden...

Lightbulb So, about Dark Eden...

The latest blog entry makes reference to Dark Eden, last seen in the original Blood Omen game. As this particular blog was already very long and also because we didn't want to lay the pre-existing lore on too thick for those unfamiliar with the series, we deleted a small chuck of explanatory text that linked, which I've reproduced in bold below.

"From the mountains of the North, the Watchers have maintained a link between Human communities in the Northern mountains near the territory that has come to be known as Dark Eden. Although the region had been warped by the twisted machinations of the corrupted Pillar Guardians when Nosgoth was still under Human rule, the grotesque creatures that once roamed the land have long since passed into legend, with Humanity blaming their origins on Kain and Vorador rather than the seemingly noble stewards of the Pillars.

In an act of irony that would no doubt have brought a wry grin to Kain’s face, the collapse of the Pillars freed Dark Eden from any lingering corrosive energies, rendering it inhabitable by mortals once more.
    "

Hopefully this will clear up exactly how Dark Eden managed to be repopulated. Please consider this apocrypha.
    Square Enix London Studios Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Those monsters are a great natural resource. Someone should collect them like a dark Noah pokemon master. So the zoo of enemies can expand again in a future chapter. Hmmm. They had Nature/Energy/States? working on Dark Eden. Too bad they didn't have Dimension or Time to move their monsters to other times & regions (other games!) for them like retail stores ship product. Although I suppose deep hibernation would qualify as a State! There could be sleeping treasure troves of monsters in stasis or something.

Fodder for local werewolves, maybe?

Originally Posted by Monkeythumbz
    Fodder for local werewolves, maybe?
    Someone's been following the werewolf thread. :P

It would be nice if Nosgoth has its own 'Lore index' within the game itself so players (old fans & newcomers alike) can read up on LoK's wider lore as well as that of Nosgoth's in particular.
    signature image

Yeah like a Wiki, however as much as I would love this, how much of the existing lore would be included?, for example if it's set before SR1, then are we only going to have the lore that's relevant to that period or a timeline that encompasses the entire LoK Lore?

personally I would like the later, but if that's not what you guys have in mind then I'd be happy with a lore section that covers the current era

@George - So, is everything that was already warped before the pillars collapsed still warped and it's just that Dark Eden will no longer effect anything new that enters the region? Otherwise it loses it's uniqueness compared to other regions of Nosgoth. It would be interesting if some of the Dark Eden mutants had been forced to fight for the vampires or in a similar situation to the Razielim. Maybe the humans would choose to work with werewolves if they considered them cursed people or trainable animals rather than monsters, but I don't think they'd be able to consider the mutants as anything but monsters and you said the humans thought them a vampire creation in the first place.

@lordbane2110 - There's an unofficial wiki that I believe SE have been making a lot of use of as reference. http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Legacy_of_Kain_Wiki

@vampmaster - I already have the wikia bookmarked on my browsers, but thanks all the same

what I meant was to have something like the civilopedia in the civilization games, for newcomers to the LoK scene that way inbetween matches they could look up some of the lore and that might influence them to try the other LoK games.

Yeah, I think some of that's already been suggested. I mentioned making the lore unlockable as it adds more or a sense of achievement and people are naturally going to be curious to see what it is that they've unlocked.

Ooooo yeah that's a better idea

like if you play with the sentinels for so long you gain more of the clans history and an insight as to the execution of Raziel and how it affected the clan

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    @George - So, is everything that was already warped before the pillars collapsed still warped and it's just that Dark Eden will no longer effect anything new that enters the region?
    Yes, that's correct - the collapse of the Pillars doesn't reverse the effects of the energy dome on those living creatures already affected by it. Nevertheless, the mutants in Dark Eden would almost certainly have all died/been killed in the half-century directly following the collapse of the Pillars. Certainly none were around by the time of the events of Blood Omen 2, but that's not to say that stories of these ghastly creatures hadn't passed into legend. At any rate, this region took on the reputation of a creepy, haunted area and would have been avoided by Nosgoth's human inhabitants until they were forced to flee there.

So the only dangerous things left there are humans, vampires and maybe werewolves and other than that it just looks kind of scary?

EDIT: I guess the labora-tardis could still be there. That could have some interesting relics or something.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 7th Nov 2013 at 12:27.

So the only dangerous things left there are humans, vampires and maybe werewolves and other than that it just looks kind of scary?
    I think that applies to the whole of Nosgoth generally speaking, apart from when demons break through the barrier.

I'm wondering is anacrothes fortress still in Dark Eden even if its broken or has it been destroyed. any confirm or deny?

Originally Posted by Umbralim
    I'm wondering is anacrothes fortress still in Dark Eden even if its broken or has it been destroyed. any confirm or deny?
    I'd like to know that too. I think that's the thing I'd been calling the labora-tardis because of how Kain said it was bigger on the inside than out. I made a suggestion some time ago that perhaps the humans had raided it (and other places like Malek's bastion) for the weapons and tools left behind by Bane, DeJoule and Anachrothe. Kain referred to them as a triad, so I imagine it took all three of them to construct that place.

EDIT: I'd like to see a class based around the humans who'd done that. Maybe a scavenger/relic user class or something.

I appreciate that the blog leaves the fate of the Dark Eden Castle and the events surrounding the destruction of those mutants very, very vague. Leaves scope for Kain, Vorador, or some other character to have had another pivotal adventure there in a past era, ala The Dark Prophecy.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Originally Posted by Lord_Aevum
    I appreciate that the blog leaves the fate of the Dark Eden Castle and the events surrounding the destruction of those mutants very, very vague. Leaves scope for Kain, Vorador, or some other character to have had another pivotal adventure there in a past era, ala The Dark Prophecy.
    Having humans scavenge those areas in this era doesn't mean that nothing could have happened there in the past. The only restriction it puts on the person writing the Dark Prophecy (assuming that ever happens) is that the place doesn't get blown up. It's not doing any harm.

Sorry, Vampmaster. I wasn't trying to imply disagreement with your post, though I can see how that may come across. I don't suggest that Kain (or whoever) would have destroyed the Castle and precluded your suggestion, I'm just grateful that the Castle still exists long enough to be explored again if writers ever wish it so.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Originally Posted by Lord_Aevum
    Yes, that was entirely on purpose.

the [structure] was bigger on the inside than out. Bane, DeJoule and Anachrothe. Kain referred to them as a triad, so I imagine it took all three of them to construct that place. I'd like to see a class based around human scavengers and relic users.
    If they'd had the Dimension guardian with them, the larger dimensions inside of the castle would have made more sense. As it is, I'm imagining them all using their General Purpose sorcery powers to expand the castle instead of relying on anyone's speciality.
    They'd all just stand there and strain like they were on the toilet, you know, and the walls would push out by five meters.

The relic keepers could be the ones who store vampire blood in those vials, building their own lore collection in secret, like the human genome project only for the study of vampires and the curse. Doing research to find more advanced holy water type concoctions to use against the drinkers, for example you could pre-poison your own blood in a way that deeply harmed any vampire who tries to feed on you but leaves you "fairly healthy" because it targets vampire physiology. And if the curse is ever to be cured, the work of humans may provide the key to understanding how, since the vampires wouldn't really care to reverse engineer their condition. So that could be a long term goal for humans---discovering a cure that would bring lost loved ones back to life as people. It'd turn the tide, because then when vamps turned humans the humans could turn vamps back and remove that advantage from vampires.

(These Dark Eden monsters are dead, it makes sense. We kill off wolves and mountain lions near our homes, Kain's empire would have eradicated these beasts. But the world needs another monster era in the future so we don't always have to go back to the Moebius era to find the interesting stuff happening. I'd add another hylden plot that strikes when Kain is about to bring the new pillars online and only then do we learn why they've been so quiet---because they've been waiting for that golden opportunity when the new pillar-making spells and machinery are in motion!)

Shame that they're all likely dead. I was just imagining some mutants with abilities like a poison spit for the humans/ranged side. Could have been interesting I thought. Plus it would maybe provide an interesting gameplay aspect if there was a particular enemy whose blood was toxic to the vampires.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Monkeythumbz
    In an act of irony that would no doubt have brought a wry grin to Kain’s face, the collapse of the Pillars freed Dark Eden from any lingering corrosive energies, rendering it inhabitable by mortals once more.[/I]
    I fail to see the conncection between Pillars' collapse and Dark Eden being "cleansed". If anything I would think it would make it worse (like the mutants appearing only in the future in the Swamp in SR2).
    I can understand Dark Eden being less "radioactive" than it was, but that would be because Anacrothe, Bane and DeJoule who run the place are dead, not because Pillars collapsed.

Originally Posted by Paradoks_db
    I fail to see the conncection between Pillars' collapse and Dark Eden being "cleansed". If anything I would think it would make it worse (like the mutants appearing only in the future in the Swamp in SR2).
    I can understand Dark Eden being less "radioactive" than it was, but that would be because Anacrothe, Bane and DeJoule who run the place are dead, not because Pillars collapsed.
    I don't think he meant that it'd 'cleanse' Dark Eden and suddenly everything was healthy and fine, but that magic dome we saw Dark Eden pushing out would've collapsed.

IE: A wolf that stumbled into Dark Eden during its hayday would become a twisted monster, after the collapse of the pillars it'd be fine (if it wasn't eaten by said twisted monsters)

No more pillar guardians meant that they couldn't focus their magics into the terrain and the animals, and the corrupting influence of Dark Eden would be no more. BUT the damage it had done, would've been done. But I imagine that as Nosgoth continues to become a lifeless wasteland, Dark Eden wouldn't look any worse than the rest of Nosgoth.

Originally Posted by TheIrtar
    I don't think he meant that it'd 'cleanse' Dark Eden and suddenly everything was healthy and fine, but that magic dome we saw Dark Eden pushing out would've collapsed.

IE: A wolf that stumbled into Dark Eden during its hayday would become a twisted monster, after the collapse of the pillars it'd be fine (if it wasn't eaten by said twisted monsters)
    I know, hence the apostrophes.

No more pillar guardians meant that they couldn't focus their magics into the terrain and the animals, and the corrupting influence of Dark Eden would be no more. BUT the damage it had done, would've been done. But I imagine that as Nosgoth continues to become a lifeless wasteland, Dark Eden wouldn't look any worse than the rest of Nosgoth.
    Which supports what I've said before. It's Guardians' death that's the reason, not the Pillars' destruction.

I'm disappointed that Dark Eden is losing it's status. Becoming a really hazardous area after centuries would be fine. Being reduced to a habitable area just feels wrong.

Originally Posted by Paradoks_db
    I know, hence the apostrophes.

Which supports what I've said before. It's Guardians' death that's the reason, not the Pillars' destruction.

I'm disappointed that Dark Eden is losing it's status. Becoming a really hazardous area after centuries would be fine. Being reduced to a habitable area just feels wrong.
    I should have said, "the events surrounding the collapse of the Pillars," I was just trying to keep it simple. We certainly don't see the area becoming an inhabitable place straight away, but by the time the Wardens move 500 - 1000 years later, it's more capable of being one, especially given the stories/rumours still surrounding the area.

Make no mistake, life for the Watchers of Dark Eden is incredibly harsh, and not just because they're being preyed upon by Vampires.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last