Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn – beware of scams

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn – beware of scams

Beware of phishing and scams

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn – beware ‘fake’ emails

It’s come to our attention that some Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn players are receiving emails claiming to be from Square Enix, warning that your Square Enix account may be suspended if you sell it on to another person – and that you should verify ownership by following a link.

To clarify, selling accounts does indeed contravene the EULA that you will have accepted before playing the game; but in this case the email (printed in full below) is not genuine, and players should NOT follow the link it suggests.

The text of the email (minus the fake link) is reprinted below – please pass this onto anybody you know who is playing FFXIV, and if you are concerned about your account security or have any questions, please contact official Customer Support (Europe / North America).

“Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Square Enix Account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Square Enix Account's employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with: [LINK DELETED]

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently. Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

Regards,

Account Administration Team

Thanks! --Square Enix Account”

---

Originally Posted by Undying_Zombie
    I got a similar one, and I do not play any of the online games. Bought the PC version of Final Fantasy 7 yesterday. The email came in 3:26 pm today. I removed the links just in-case but regardless.. the links to not look right, and I can access my account just fine despite what it says.

Square Enix Account Management System
    *Link removed*
    -------------------------------------------------------

Dear Valued Square Enix Customer,

Thank you for using the Square Enix Account Management System.

Based upon recent suspicious activity, we have identified that your account may potentially be at risk. For your protection, we have temporarily suspended login access to this account.

In order to regain access to your account, please do the following:
    1. Refer to the FAQ below to ensure your account is secure
    *Link removed*

2. Use the URL provided below to reset your password
    *Link removed*

*If you cannot access a URL provided above by clicking the link, please try copy and pasting the URL directly into the address bar of your web browser.
    *The password reset URL provided above will expire after one week from the date of the email or once the password has been reset successfully.

For more information about the login restriction, please refer to the following page:
    *Link removed*

For inquiries regarding products and services, please visit the Square Enix Support Center.

*Link removed*
    Last edited by Grimoire; 5th Nov 2013 at 09:41.

Let the scamming games begin! (In game)

Look at the chatbox in the screenshot below. Some user with a random name has pmed me some random link to get free gil, which is obviously some sort of... scam?
    Make sure to block their messages by typing /blacklist in your chatbox (or go to your social option and find the blacklist tab).

I hope this game will not turn out to have a bunch of people shouting random gil scam site like RF Online T_T ... At least these guys don't shout it, because that would be even more annoying!
    Last edited by Rancyz; 27th Aug 2013 at 17:11.
    SERVER: Adamantoise
    IGN: Minty Sky

Dear Lord. Already? That crap is so annoying.

Originally Posted by kckris
    Dear Lord. Already? That crap is so annoying.
    I'm sick of the free company / guild recruiting messages already myself. I want more freaky 'adult' conversations in the shout box like I had come across on the beta lmao.
    The censoring is also weird, it blocked 'hand job' (I was referring to being a certain level in disciples of the hand jobs and shortened this to hand job) but then allowed the 'S' word (naughty poo word with e on end lol)

Just so it's out in the open, you can turn the "censoring" off in the settings menu.

Just to point out, that isn't for FREE Gil, it wants you to buy it from their website.

They won't steal your account information for free, it costs you good money to have them take it.

FFXIV: Warning - Gold Sellers

Why isnt there a quicker way to ignore people than opening and actually writing the name of the person who are spamming? you should be able to right+click and then choose to ignore, just like in ANY other games. And please add queue times, now i have to spam to get inside my server to play.

Well this user hasn't shown up on the /shout or /tell chats, so I guess the account was banned! Awww yeah!

Originally Posted by Rancyz
    Well this user hasn't shown up on the /shout or /tell chats, so I guess the account was banned! Awww yeah!
    Ok total noob question from me (it's my 1st MMO after all), I get /say which is nearby players, /shout I assume is for everyone in that area i.e. central thanalan but what is /yell for?

Or they logged off again quickly. This is often how spammers last longer in other MMOs, games like Rift reply on multiple reports before their systems take action, the spammers may be seeing if XIV is the same.

Originally Posted by Hippy_Pickle
    Ok total noob question from me (it's my 1st MMO after all), I get /say which is nearby players, /shout I assume is for everyone in that area i.e. central thanalan but what is /yell for?
    I *think* it goes to nearby zones as well, or maybe /shout doesn't cover the entire zone while /yell does.

Look at the chatbox in the screenshot below. Some user with a random name has pmed me some random link to get free gil, which is obviously some sort of... scam?
    This isn't 'free gil', it's a 'gold seller', while both sorts are pretty despicable they are actually quite a bit different.

on a separate note that's vaguely related to this topic I just saw this: http://eu.square-enix.com/en/jobs/ga...hgermanenglish
    It's like the dream job, playing (in a fashion) FFXIV at work and then playing at home, if only I'd actually have paid more attention in my German class (I was actually top set!) but alas I just kept translating dirty phrases like 'Do you have hairy testicles?' and writing them on the blackboard before the teacher came in! lmao

Well I wish I was a GM for the NA server I am on, Adamantoise... Just look at this image below, another one of them

They should adopt the same thing SWG had at the end, If enough people /reported them they could speak and see their own txt but no one else could see it. That way it wasnt a kick and remake, they would stand there until they figured it out with another character.

Gold Sellers Maddness

I logged on today to play and all i see in shout is spamming of gold selling >.<..... Is anyone going to do something about this .... wheres the active gms on this game >.< starting to look like Cabal online with all the spam >.<

my blacklist is full of them ><

Read the announcements, they have even banning the Gold sellers for this.

FFXIV: Warning - Gold Sellers

This is just getting ridiculous. I keep black listing them but the blacklisting process is way too manual. I should just be able to click on their name and bam, blacklisted. Then I realized there was a cap on blacklisting! I currently have 14/31...eventually I'm going to reach that cap and I'll be forced to just ignore all Tells and Yells. Which is really crappy.

It sucks even more because to get their stupid names on the blacklist you have scroll up to their name and then FFXIV automatically scrolls down as soon as someone says something. Which is normally just more gold spamming.

Eventually gold spammers are going to make talking impossible. I spent half my game last night just blacklisting gold spammers.

Originally Posted by TiffTaro
    This is just getting ridiculous. I keep black listing them but the blacklisting process is way too manual. I should just be able to click on their name and bam, blacklisted. Then I realized there was a cap on blacklisting! I currently have 14/31...eventually I'm going to reach that cap and I'll be forced to just ignore all Tells and Yells. Which is really crappy.

It sucks even more because to get their stupid names on the blacklist you have scroll up to their name and then FFXIV automatically scrolls down as soon as someone says something. Which is normally just more gold spamming.

Eventually gold spammers are going to make talking impossible. I spent half my game last night just blacklisting gold spammers.
    There are 200 blacklist spots, not just 31. I totally agree on the"click name & blacklist" I mean the functionality is already there, since invites & tells work that way.

Originally Posted by Clay51
    There are 200 blacklist spots, not just 31.
    Oh I see, you can add 31 ppl at a time. You're right there are 200 spots.

I just got a private message from someone I've already blacklisted. WTF. Is there a hack or something for being blacklisted?!

It is pretty obvious that an anti-bot system needs to be placed, even if it's a temp make-shift one until a more solid one can be put in place. There isn't even a delay in shouts either, so unless you can manage to catch the name in between shouts as it floods the screen, since the shouts also forces you to scroll back down to the bottom of the chat, you won't be able to stop it.

I just never enable /shout or /yell except if there's a reason for me to think anything in there is of interest, I don't waste my time on watching endless kid-speak, insults and other 'trash talk' even if there is no seller spam.

@TiffTaro: never seen that and just tested it myself (from one account to the other) and the blacklist blocked it. Don't know if deleting and recreating a character with the same name may defeat it, not impossible I guess but AFAIK the blacklist is per-toon not per-account (sadly the latter would be highly welcome).

I'm tired of these buggers too but I'm taking the time to fill in the reporting form and then blacklisting them. It's a pain to fill in the form but hopefully SE will actually block the SE IDs associated with the IGNs if enough people are sending the reports in. This way it may calm it down somewhat, hopefully!
    Last edited by Hippy_Pickle; 9th Sep 2013 at 09:53.

Certainly SE should have learned from Blizzard how you provide players with an EASY and quick way to block and report this crap, especially with SE's long anti-RMT war in FFXI.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last