Page 14 of 14 First First ... 41011121314

Thread: KMS Bismarck

KMS Bismarck

Do you own World at War?

(See previous page)
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

Smile

xgamerms I think he means http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War Its a classic WW2 documentary serise

Originally Posted by crazyhorse128
    ooh but imadgine this, its afree for all.......IOWAvsYAMATOvsBISMARK and for extra fun lets add the sister ships, the New Jersey,the other yamato class BB from Sibuayn Sea (soz about spelling)vsTIRPITZ just an idea though
    hell with new jersey put mighty mo in there long live uss missouri

Yes crazy, I knew that, I was asking if he owned it (DVD/VHS)

yoyo

jesus nice post lol

and bismarck the point of people thinking that the germans were evil is because it is put in a view of the allies as good people doing everything a country should making sure there POW were well treat and stuff but as of german it was different but i see were you think people think of it as what i have said,
    in the eyes of the public german was evil because of that but when people say to be that german was evil i just think that when they mean evil they mean like off cartoons good vs evil just as to sides of a war fighting that all,
    and the bismarck was a nice ship she did not have a nazi crew and was just there doing there job as told its the way it goes there is no evil in it but just was war is 1 side vs another.

to me a battleship is just a big heavy floating platform of total obsoletion lol
    carriers ruled the sea in WW2 and dont say battleships were not obsolete look at yamato sunk by carrier look at bismarck stopped by carrier that led to its death, the to greatest battleships of the axis powers done by something so small - an aircraft lol

but good forum!

jesus!

i just been reading through the history of most of ww2 battleships and my god am totally wrong bout there obsolete! jesus in nearly every close battle the battleship made a difference by saving a carrier or doing wot a carrier couldnt do lol like at guadalcanal were the enterprise was the only carrier there but its desk couldnt land planes do the uss washington and south dakotu went to fight the japanese fleet and convoys off to henderson field and my god they owned it! so am sorry bout all the battleship stuff there like so needed then

Originally Posted by chriswpaul16
    jesus nice post lol

and bismarck the point of people thinking that the germans were evil is because it is put in a view of the allies as good people doing everything a country should making sure there POW were well treat and stuff but as of german it was different but i see were you think people think of it as what i have said,
    in the eyes of the public german was evil because of that but when people say to be that german was evil i just think that when they mean evil they mean like off cartoons good vs evil just as to sides of a war fighting that all,
    and the bismarck was a nice ship she did not have a nazi crew and was just there doing there job as told its the way it goes there is no evil in it but just was war is 1 side vs another.
    I totally agree with you. One of my role models is Rommel and because of it I get labeled as a pro-nazi because a lot of Americains thing that every German during world war 2 was a nazi. In reality it was the Nazis that controlled the goverment and the citizens were fighting for their country. Most Germans were not Nazis. If a war started with America and the Democrats were heading the Government that doesn't make us all Democrats.

The only reason I think people would think the Bismarck was a Nazi battleship is because it had a big swasitka on the bow.

As for Chris I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you are saying

"like at guadalcanal were the enterprise was the only carrier there but its desk couldnt land planes do the uss washington and south dakotu went to fight the japanese fleet and convoys off to henderson field and my god they owned it!"

Originally Posted by Tirpitz
    I dare to say, that one vs. one no battleship in her class could defeat the mighty Bismarck with the best gun-crew of the kriegsmarine
    Old thread, but I'd take the Biz on gladly with a North Carolina or SoDak (South Dakota) class battleship and likely win.

They are absolutely in the Biz's class and time frame.

The 16" 45's have essentially the same range, are more powerful, and have better fire control. Biz has a little better armor and is slightly faster. US crews are unmatched in efficiency. Biz's Achilles is very weak turret armor.

I say NC opens up at extreme range, gets a few hits that drastically reduces the Biz's fighting power, then finishes her off.

Up the ante to an Iowa class BB, which is also in the Biz's class and era, and all of the Biz's advantages go away. Iowa wins in a landslide of 2700lb super-heavy 16-inchers.

Iowa does rock.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

Originally Posted by FreeloaderUK
    actually it was the Prinz Eugen that sank HMS Hood. one of its 8"shells penetrated the AA magazine- which caused a fire which spread to the main magazine, which blew the ship up.
    I hear this for the first time. Any proof?

Originally Posted by Tirpitz
    I dare to say, that one vs. one no battleship in her class could defeat the mighty Bismarck with the best gun-crew of the kriegsmarine
    At first i thought so, but after some research - not anymore.

Chances are equal between Bismark any common smaller size battleship.

Bismark had nothing special that would significantly advance him over ships those he battled and others. One of his advantages was in his 50+ kilotons, which means he could take a punch before sinking - and so it was. But those 50+ kilotons meant nothing when his whole gun director crews were wiped out, radar was easily destroyed by his own blasts, and his armor was sliced to pieces by 14, 15 and 16 inch shells from close distances.

I mean does it matter if you put out of commission a 33 kiloton ship or a 50 kiloton ship just as fast, with the difference being that the 50 kiloton ship will stay on the water longer? No! No difference! So Bismark's 50 kilotons did not help him at all.

Bismark's other advantage is his speed - but that is for his hunting abilities on any other ship smaller than a Battleship as well as for hunting merchant ships.

Also, his battles showed that Bismark was not very inaccurate and his radar, gun and fire control had flaws.

I am almost certain that North Carolina or South Dakota, being way smaller than Bismark, would send him to bottom 1 VS 1 first, because both of US ships had mark 7 16 inch guns - most powerful 16 inches there were, together with Iowa class; these 16 inches were a lot more powerful than other 16 inch guns as well as Bismark's 15 inches, and at long long ranges (33000 - 16000) the US ships would be more accurate. Bismark would not even penetrate the belt, conning tower and turrets of the US ships, because US navy had a demonstration of how 16 inch shells from older Battleships could not do it to South Dakota.
    At close range Bismark would have almost equal chances VS South Dakota or North Carolina - almost, because US ships still had better crew in my opinion.
    I am not even talking about Bismark VS Iowa - that would be a one way ownage.

In the end i am not trashing Bismark - it was better than any British, Italian or French battleship, but definitely not above South Dakota or North Carolina.

BTW, British battleships were some of the most ugly looking battleships ever build (not all of course), while Germans had beautiful ships.

Page 14 of 14 First First ... 41011121314