Thread: Raid on Balikpapan Veteran

Raid on Balikpapan Veteran

Raid on Balikpapan Veteran

Hey, I can't beat this, this is my last mission for Vet. (aside from End Game) Also, I thought it was cool that, this game is on Wiki, so here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestations:_Midway
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

Yep. I wrote the part about the challenges. :P

Raid on Balikpapan

Originally Posted by xgamerms999
    my last mission for Vet.
    Xgamer, you are already Veteran of Midway, when you beat Balikpapan, you will be Hardened Veteran!

I just beat it a couple days ago.

I turn directly east soon after mission starts. Torp the AK that comes into range while traveling east. When DD passess AK (your torp is still on the way), turn south-southeast with formation. The DD will keep going and not engage you.

Break away Parrot in line with PT base and bunker just enough to left of your ship where your artillery can hit them both (straight on and you have no guns to engage.

Torp the two AKs that come into range with the John Walker (both at entry of channel). Leave John Ford at channel entry, safe from the bunker. You will return to it after sacrificing the Parrot.

Engage PT base as soon as in range, then switch to bunker as soon as in range. Your range will be .7nm to PT when bunker is in range. You must knock out the bunker before the PT base.

When you finish with the bunker, target the PT base, but try to torp the two AKs that come into range while travelling through the channel. After you fire the torps, you are probably almost dead, so abandon the Parrot to do what it can to the PT base and switch to the John Ford.

Finish off the PT base with the John Ford, kill the AK at docks with artillery, torp and artillery kill the DD coming to meet you, then torp and artillery the AK at end of channel.

Do all this as fast as possible, because if you take too long, you will have to defeat the CL and DD coming around the island.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Colosseum
    Yep. I wrote the part about the challenges. :P
    I added a little on DLC.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999

THX Wayne!! Any other surgestions would be appreseated as well.

Excuse my spelling.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999

I finally completed it on veteran! I tried a number of different strategy's, but here's how I eventually did it, and I had a good bit of life left too, first off, sail straight on if you wait for the first destroyer to sail around the island it only comes back, so sail towards the entrance at the northern side of the harbour, where the AK is moored. Its essential that you release torps immediately in order to sink two ak's; the ak at the south end and the ak thats moored at the north end, but the ak at the south side has to be sank from the distance before you reach the port or else you wont be able to get at it without being in range of the fortress, plus you'll run outta time and the back up will arrive.
    The destroyer comes out to meet you -keep your formation together and sink it, use a.a .fire on the torpedo boat.When you've dealt with these, send the parrot off to deal with the second destroyer. Launch a few torps at the headland so when you engage the destroyer it'll be dodging the torps and engaging the parrot and was easy to finish off from 0.8 off a mile.
    Enter the gap between the two islands at the north off the fortress with the J.D. Ford. ThenI stopped, took out the two boats to the north of the entrance with torps and shells, around this time the parrot was severly damaged but it had attracted the torpedo boats and engaged them before sinking, which gave me valuable time. I steered south and took out the rest of the ships, stay away from the fortress -If you sank the ak at the southern end with torps as you were sailing in then you can take out all the boats while staying out of range of the fortress. I had to deal with one torpedo boat as I was finishing off the last ak, and was fighting another when the last boat sank as I had shelled it enough and it burnt. The level ended then luckily as three more torpedo boats were on nearly on top of me. Thats one hard level.