Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 'DX-IW Unified Texture Pack' *replaces* older texture packs.

'DX-IW Unified Texture Pack' *replaces* older texture packs.

'DX-IW Unified Texture Pack' *replaces* older texture packs.

The 'DX-IW Unified Texture Pack' (DX-IW Texture Pack.exe) was released on May 10th., but I am announcing it now because there are always minor quirks, 'bugs' etc. that need to be ironed out a few days after release, and this time was no different.

However - I am quite confident that the version up for download now is robust and bug free, at least when used on Windows XP and a game of the vanilla US and European varieties (version 1.2). The installer should also be compatible with Windows Vista, but I haven't been able to test this fully. However, you may have to be Administrator of your system if you use Vista.

So - what's new?

Well - basically, this is the three older texture packs (Cumulative, Community, and BlumenKohl's) put into one, single installer that is compatible with European game versions.

But that's not all, of course:

Most of the textures from my Cumulative Texture Pack have been updated, and a lot of textures have been added.

Updated environment textures made by Koif (the project lead on the Community texture pack) are also included.

And a brand new version of ibd_pathcer.exe, the program that overrides the original texture names in the game files and thereby enables the use of higher resolution textures.

ibd_patcher.exe is now up to 40 times faster in use than the previous version found in the older Cumulative pack! This thanks to the programmer and creator of ibd_patcher.exe, Kevin Boye (please read the 'ibd_patcher.exe' section of the installer Readme for further info about the increased speed).

Since ibd_patcher.exe was made so much more efficient and faster, I decided to also give it a 'face lift', so I created a new user interface design and a new icon file, that Kevin Boye implemented into the new version.

All in all, there are a total of 798 texture and other graphical files within this new texture pack.

In addition to this, bugs from all previous texture packs have been fixed, both in the installers and textures.

Since this pack is in effect all three older packs put into one, you should avoid installing any of the older packs before or after installing this new pack.

-Of course, if you for some reason would rather like to use the older, separate texture packs, you are free to do so but you should then not install this one as well. If you choose to rather install the older packs, you will obviously not benefit from the texture- and installer/uninstaller updates found in this pack.

To download this new pack, and to see comparisons of a few of the higher resolution versions versus the original textures, go to my DX-IW page:

http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/index.shtml

Regards,

John P.

Superb, just got a hold of IW and came across this post whilst installing.

Downloading and installing in a bit, will let you know how it turns out.

Nice work, seems to definitely do the trick.

One issue though I'm running the game at a high res (1920x1200) but the in game text is far too small, any ideas on how I can change the font size ?

I'm running the game on a 1920x1200 monitor as well (although I've set it to display the game in 4:3 in the display properties so I get black borders on either side, and run the game at 1280x1024 as set in the game's display options), and the text is OK here, but I guess this is a matter of taste. The text below the Loading screens is very small though, I'll admit.

You can do three things:

-You can do what I did as mentioned above; that way the image won't be stretched across the screen, the image will be in it's original aspect ratio, and the font may appear bigger (if your computer can actually handle it with these textures installed, I guess you could set it to 1600x1200 but then again the font would be smaller than what I'm seeing).

-You can go back to the original font by opening ibd_patcher.exe (a shortcut should be placed in your Start menu, within the Eidos\Deus Ex - Invisible War\Unified Texture Pack folder), click the dropdown Presets menu, choose "Community font", and click the minus button. You will then get the original game font in-game.

-I guess at that resolution, even the original font may be too small for your taste though, so the other thing you can do (instead or in addition), is to open Default.ini in the game's System folder, and search for [FontMappings], then play around with the settings. Make a copy of the Default.ini file first!

I can't help you with the exact settings, because I simply haven't meddled in it myself. If you open the Unified Texture Pack's Readme, and search for the same as I mentioned above, you will find suggested font mappings that came with the older Community pack. But I haven't tested them, so I have no idea if it would make the font even smaller, or bigger.

(thanks to the moderator for making the thread sticky)

Ok thanks for all the help. I've changed the values a fair bit in the default.ini however some of the text isn't centered properly, for example if i'm reading a pda then the text would be above the actual designated area for it.

I will however give the other options a go if I get the chance.

Btw I am the same person as bugmenot7, just decided to register.

hello john p

i really like ur texture packs its great.....

the problem is i cant download the new DX-IW unified texture pack from your website, i cant even see any of your pictures on your site, i can download stuff from other websites but not yours

please help me by uploading the new DX-IW unified texture pack on Rapidshare.com and posting the link here.

if you cant upload it on rapidshare u can try many websites such as filefront

thank you

Originally Posted by DukeNukem101
    hello john p

i really like ur texture packs its great.....

the problem is i cant download the new DX-IW unified texture pack from your website, i cant even see any of your pictures on your site, i can download stuff from other websites but not yours

please help me by uploading the new DX-IW unified texture pack on Rapidshare.com and posting the link here.

if you cant upload it on rapidshare u can try many websites such as filefront

thank you
    Why can't you download the files or see the pictures? Are you surfing through a proxy? I'm guessing it could be caused by the fact that I've turned on hotlink protection, which denies access to the files through links found on other web pages, but if you go to my site directly, using either Internet Explorer or Firefox at least, you should have access.

i still cant go on it and i really want to download your new texture pack im surfing through internet explorer can you please upload it on rapidshare or filefront.

thanx you for replying

Try again now: go to http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/index.shtml and click the Download Unified Texture Pack button.

If you still can't download it, tell me exactly why. Do you get an error message when going to that page? Is your screen resolution so low that you need to scroll across the screen to find the button?

I want you to tell me what happens because otherwise I can't fix it for other users who may have the same problem.

thanx john p it works i can see everything it even lets me download

Looks different wheres JC Denton's glasses.

This is the Deus Ex - Invisible War forum. No Denton glasses in the DX:IW game, and therefore no Denton glasses in this texture pack, as that would require a tweaked model, which is somewhat out of my reach.

I cant install the textures it always says error writing to *.dds i tried unchecking read only on the folders (files were not read only) and i still got the same error. I tried installing the files individually and still the same error each time

Originally Posted by creomortis
    I cant install the textures it always says error writing to *.dds i tried unchecking read only on the folders (files were not read only) and i still got the same error. I tried installing the files individually and still the same error each time
    Are you sure it said "error writing to .dds"? Because the .dds files (textures) are simply extracted, whereas it is the .ibd files (resource files) that are written to.

What operating system do you use?

When you say "I tried installing the files individually" do you mean the individual options in this Unified texture pack one-by-one, or are you trying to use several different packs?

Also: what game version do you have, as in: is it on CD or DVD, or is it from a download source? The texture pack will not work properly with the downloadable game versions (except for Valve's Steam version, which apparently it will work with).

Hi i'm having a problem.

I started off with a clean install of the European version of the game. Installed the texture pack and am having a very weird problem. Firstly when i start the game the introductions videos (Eidos title etc) don't appear. Its just a black screen. After a while pressing escape brings me to the menu and all is fine. However i can't change the game resolution to go above 1024x768. Is this normal?

Then when i start a new game i again get a black screen until i press escape and come to the character screen (choose image etc). I then press contine and click the tick. The screen goes black, the loading screen appears soon after but then (Loading bar hasn't even started loading yet) the screen goes black again and i get a CTD.

My system:

Intel Dual Core 930
    Radeon X1900XTX
    2GB RAM
    X-FI Sound

Thanks

Oops forgot to mention i'm using a 19 inch widescreen LCD monitor.

This doesn't sound like problems the texture pack would cause, unless you have downloaded it from another source than my website (because the very first upload had a glitch that I fixed within a few days, and perhaps some sites uploaded the 'faulty' version).

I would uninstall the pack and see if the problems are still there. If so, uninstall and reinstall the game and play it for a while to see if it works as-is.

Then perhaps try to install the texture pack again if all is OK. If it then shows the same problems again, it's likely that it's caused by the texture pack after all, but initially I must say that the things you mention are not things I would expect the pack to cause.

I did a fresh install of the game and texture pack and it worked. I think something must have gone wrong in my first installation.

Thanks

How does it make these things better in game and how do you use the DX Tool for making the game better. With the texture pack ?

My specs Dell Dimension 3100,
    Intel pentium 4 2.80GHz with HT tech,
    512mb ram,
    80GB Hard Drive,
    Windows XP,
    pny nvidia 6200 256mb pci,

Originally Posted by primer
    How does it make these things better in game and how do you use the DX Tool for making the game better. With the texture pack ?

My specs Dell Dimension 3100,
    Intel pentium 4 2.80GHz with HT tech,
    512mb ram,
    80GB Hard Drive,
    Windows XP,
    pny nvidia 6200 256mb pci,
    I'd like to help you if you're having trouble, but I don't get what you are asking. Are you asking in what way the texture pack is supposed to improve the game? Are you asking how to use DXTool to make the game run smoother (since you include your system specs)? Are you asking how I used DXTool in order to make the game 'better'?
    Your specs seem a little on the low side for this game (it's old but still demanding), but it should be playable. But perhaps only in the low resolutions.

How can i play it with better graphics and use the DX tool.

Well, I guess I shouldn't say 'better' since I've made most of them, but the new textures can be used in the game by installing the texture pack. It's an executable file you can download by following the link in the first post here and click the Download button on the page it leads you to.

As for DXTool, you can click the same link in the first post here, but on the page you come to, click the Game utilities button instead, and you will come to a page with several game related files, one of them being DXTool.
    It must be installed like the others.

You don't need DXTool to use the texture pack.

But if you install DXTool, you can use it to change the game more to your liking (tweak it). I don't think there's much there to improve performance though. DXTool can also be used to export textures in .bmp format, if you want. It can also import texture files, but not ones of a higher resolution than the originals.

Hope that helps.

Nice work John P. I'm really impressed with the new textures, they look fantastic. Hats off to everyone involved, also the patcher has a great interface. Love It.

I've have run into a problem though.

I really love the Recent Bio Mod Eyes facial texture but I can only get it to work on the white Alex male and female characters, and I like to play Alex as a very dark skinned male. Also all the dark skin male and female texture look lower res than the white ones.

I was wondering if someone could bring all the faces for both genders up to the same detail level. I'd do it myself but i don't have the know how.

One of the reason's I love DX and IW is cause they're 2 of the few games that give players choices, including the characters colour and gender. That and as a black guy it's cool to play a black character for a change, so any help would be appreciated.

Hi, KnightKiller.

I was contemplating adding darker skinned Alex Ds in this latest texture pack, but chose not to simply because it would be a lot of work that I wasn't ready to do at the time. Because these choices would also have to be mutually exclusive in the installer interface, there was also the prospect of having to make quite extensive changes to the installer script to make that work.

I was simply too "tired" to do anything about it in the end, and decided not to.

As for male Alex D at least, you could choose among the high res outfits, and then not install any high res face textures. Only his hands will then be white. Of course, you then unfortunately won't get the biomodified eyes look.

I doubt I'm going to change this any time soon or even in future, 'cause let's face it - it's a lot of work, and the amount of people still playing this game is dwindling.

Thanks for the compliments.

Thats a shame you won't be doing anymore work on IW, John P, but I'd be really interested to see your work on some other titles. Your Deadly Shadows stuff was impressive, I guess that runs off the same engine as IW.
    There's alot of classic games out there that could really benefit from some graphical updates.

need help!!!

Hello

Im havin trouble removing the unified texture pack as i messed it up, i removed it manually by deleting it on drive c in deusex 2 folder and deleting it on start, my programs and when i try installing it again it says ive already installed it can some tell me how to fully uninstall it manually

so if anyone can help me please reply

Thanx

Page 1 of 2 12 Last