Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: PC Downloadable content and your views please

PC Downloadable content and your views please

PC Downloadable content and your views please

Hi guys.

I'll start this with some good news. The PC DLC is very much on its way, and will be released on Wednesday the 23rd of May at 2pm GMT. It won't cost anything, details are to follow.

Now I've got your attention ( ) if you read threads around here you may have spotted that I'm in the process of putting together a couple of documents summarising the community's feedback which will be passed on to - and more importantly taken seriously by - the bods at Eidos and Eidos Hungary.

So, thanks to Kai Robin's great thread I've got a nice wish list together of suggestions for the next Battlestations.

However, I'd also like to pass on your wider views about the release as a whole. Things like:

1. How do you think the release was handled?
    2. What do you think about the downloadable content, and pricing?
    3. Your views on PR, etc.
    4. Anything else you'd like to add or any suggestions you may have.

I appreciate this won't necessarily be positive - but keep it frank and constructive and you'll get listened to.

Also - Being realistic, how would you like to see the downloadable content (particularly PC) handled in terms of content, pricing, etc. I'd value all your views.

Thanks in advance.

Keir.
    International Man of Mystery

i have an important wish for the next battlestations!!
    if i go to my seller and say "hey give me the new BSM" i wont see this words at the DVD cover...

"POWERED BY GAMESPY"

AKAGI

Haha, OK. That's come up a few times. Noted.

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    1. The release was handlled fine and the included clander was a nice touch. It was after the launch that things could have been handled better. After launch the official site was slow to getting the new infomation up. News also needed to come from Eidos to the forum not by someone catching news from 3rd party sites (IGN, GS, etc.)

2. 360: more content is needed for the asking price.

3. See 1.

4. Akagi beat me to it

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Also - Being realistic, how would you like to see the downloadable content (particularly PC) handled in terms of content, pricing, etc. I'd value all your views.
    minimum 3 maps + 3 vehicles. If a charge is needed no more than $7.99

Pricing should only be done for addons (minimum 10 maps + 7+ vehicles) $15 - $20 range.

dlc, expansion packs, sequel

Thanks in advance.

Keir.
    concerning dlc or expansion packs:

- plz use this webpage (all battles of pacific available) when making any mp map for BSM: http://www.combinedfleet.com/map.htm#midway
    - can you give us the USN BB's of the North Carolina, South Dakota and Iowa class
    - can you give us the sistership of Yamato, the Musachi
    - (the real) battle of Javasea in multiplayer plz !!!
    - skirmish mode available in single player with all available ingame units
    - in multiplayer the possibility to play human vs AI

sequel wannahaves

naval campaigns in the Atlantic and Mediterranean theater with the:
    - German Kriegsmarine http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/
    - British homefleet http://www.world-war.co.uk/
    - Italian navy http://www.regiamarina.net/miscellan...sitemap_us.htm
    - French navy www.voodoo.cz/battleships

- if you do make a mediterranean theater , plz give us the "onslaught at mers el kebir" map

Number 1:
    I think it was quite sad that release dates were so different. In the US BS:M hit the shelves many days before it was released in europe. That is always bad. First it leads to more piracy, because some people just don't want to wait to play it.

Next time please organize a much closer release, 3 or 4 days difference would be the maximum.

Number 2:
    In general I am a person who is used to get small, but free content. Like a map every once in a while and so on. Yet again I'd pay for the following:
    "Booster Packs" wich include around 3 maps and 3-4 vehicles: 7,- €uro
    A real add-on with new gaming modes, a new campaign, many new maps and vehicles: 25,- €uro

Number 3:
    I think the game didn't get much attention in Germany. Sure there have been some two page sized ads in gaming magazines, but there haven't been decent previews about it. It was an insider game.

The official website is a desaster. Layout is interesting, but no real news for example. You could get official news earlier on 3rd party sites than on the official site.

Number 4:
    Support is slow. The first patch didn't include many fixes or new features, but it took weeks for release. Other games get patches with a comparable feature list within days after release.

Same with the DLC, time between X-Box and PC release was way too larger. Even if we PC users get it for free, it is quite annoying to see the consoleros chatting about the new content and we can only look at the videos and screenshots :/

Tirpitz - Thanks for the suggestions

Rheinpfeil - Thanks for your post, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Top stuff. We'll aim to work on these areas for the next release.

Originally Posted by Rheinpfeil

A real add-on with new gaming modes, a new campaign, many new maps and vehicles: 25,- €uro
    Agree ..
    "new gaming mode" = editor or random maps, skirmish..

The new Battlestations Midway should have a Dedicated Server.

Originally Posted by Keir
    Also - Being realistic, how would you like to see the downloadable content (particularly PC) handled in terms of content, pricing, etc.
    1) Initial release = just fine; Everything since then = abysmal
    2) Won't know what to think till I see it. Free is good.
    3) Eidos PR (and Customer R) sucks. It's not that hard to answer simple and direct questions, even if the answer is "we don't know yet". Just pretend like we actually exist.
    4) As others have said, the official website should be the first place to get news, not the last. This concept extends to the official forums as well.

Small content on the order of one or two maps should be free, but that's just because we should be able to make similar content ourselves. Major addons that include significant new features or major content $10-$15. Patches for all formats should come out within days of each other.

A skirmisch mode in single player and more US battleships, particularly the USS Missouri would be what I would hope to see.

----- The release was handled fairly well. However, as noted above, things became consistently worse after that. In many aspects. First, communication disappeared. The "dont say anything until you have something to say" approach, while logical, doesnt go over well. Silence will be taken as indifference after enough time has passed.
    Next was the game itself. At first it was great, then people started finishing the single player component, and started realizing just how quickly online play was going to grow stale. The DLC was/is not enough, and even if it had been included in the original, would have still left the original far too short on content. The ironic part is a map/mission editor would have solved all of these problems, and the cost to EIDOS would have been minimal.

-----The DLC was far too short on content to justify any price. More maps and more vehicles are needed to justify charging,....... but dont cut the retail release short by removing portions of it to offer as DLC later. Learn from the original.

----- Many people who purchased the original have said they will not buy the sequel right away. The reason,... the false advertisement used to promote the original. We were lead to believe by screenshots, and by PR spinning of words, to think this game would allow "100's of units in online battles". We were shown sceenshots of battles where units literally filled the screen..... too many to count. Sadly in the actual game we never see anything close to those numbers.
    Say what you are going to do, then do what you say you are going to do. If for some reason it isnt possible to deliver what is promised, be honest, and dont try and deceive us.

----- My main advice would be to make each platform its own game. Dont port the console game to the PC. The PC gamer is a different type of gamer than the console gamer. The PC has far greater online capabilites, and a PC game should use those capabilites.

Originally Posted by xanboo
    The new Battlestations Midway should have a Dedicated Server.
    Noted.

Originally Posted by trongey
    1) Initial release = just fine; Everything since then = abysmal
    2) Won't know what to think till I see it. Free is good.
    3) Eidos PR (and Customer R) sucks. It's not that hard to answer simple and direct questions, even if the answer is "we don't know yet". Just pretend like we actually exist.
    4) As others have said, the official website should be the first place to get news, not the last. This concept extends to the official forums as well.

Small content on the order of one or two maps should be free, but that's just because we should be able to make similar content ourselves. Major addons that include significant new features or major content $10-$15. Patches for all formats should come out within days of each other.
    Thank you for your answers. These are just what I'm after and are really useful.

Originally Posted by Bokai
    A skirmisch mode in single player and more US battleships, particularly the USS Missouri would be what I would hope to see.
    Noted

Originally Posted by ScottWAR
    ----- The release was handled fairly well. However, as noted above, things became consistently worse after that. In many aspects. First, communication disappeared. The "dont say anything until you have something to say" approach, while logical, doesnt go over well. Silence will be taken as indifference after enough time has passed.
    Next was the game itself. At first it was great, then people started finishing the single player component, and started realizing just how quickly online play was going to grow stale. The DLC was/is not enough, and even if it had been included in the original, would have still left the original far too short on content. The ironic part is a map/mission editor would have solved all of these problems, and the cost to EIDOS would have been minimal.

-----The DLC was far too short on content to justify any price. More maps and more vehicles are needed to justify charging,....... but dont cut the retail release short by removing portions of it to offer as DLC later. Learn from the original.

----- Many people who purchased the original have said they will not buy the sequel right away. The reason,... the false advertisement used to promote the original. We were lead to believe by screenshots, and by PR spinning of words, to think this game would allow "100's of units in online battles". We were shown sceenshots of battles where units literally filled the screen..... too many to count. Sadly in the actual game we never see anything close to those numbers.
    Say what you are going to do, then do what you say you are going to do. If for some reason it isnt possible to deliver what is promised, be honest, and dont try and deceive us.

----- My main advice would be to make each platform its own game. Dont port the console game to the PC. The PC gamer is a different type of gamer than the console gamer. The PC has far greater online capabilites, and a PC game should use those capabilites.
    Thanks for your honesty. We're in a position to take this on board (no pun intended).

Thanks, Keir,

1. New Server except GameSpy. That is a good point. Check how steam handles their games and stuffs. At least list all the servers in the game. Otherwise no one will know how many players online.

2. Map editor and random start up point. Good custom designed maps can boost your sell. But Xbox guys may feel unhappy about this.

3. Skirmish. So so. I prefer a better on-line mode.

4. Replay. Very important feature.

Rolleyes Thoughts of a PC user

The release was great, but then I had to wait over a month to get what I considered to be a critical patch from direct2drive.

I would pay a modest price for compelling content, but not more of the same.

The PR is terrible. There were posts from Eidos customer service reps telling us point blank that the forum is ignored and we need to pick up the phone and call. You'll easily find them in the PC forum.

In this day and age a great game allows the community to build content and communicates with them. Look at Valve and Blizzard. These companies are like Walt Disney and work to make a great experience for their users. Eidos feels more like the carnival show that isn't nearly as great once you've paid your admission price. Also a modern game is easy to play on a network. Matching making and the online experience for this game were tedious and difficult.

Its going to be difficult for Eidos to win my business back. I'm going to stick with companies that put their user experiences first, like Blizzard and Value.

1) Release was handled fine
    2) Download content was excellent. Sibuyan Sea is the most popular MP map. I'm not a fan of free content, as it limits the game's potential due to lack of proper funding. Reasonable people will pay for quality products.
    3a) Forum was allowed to get totally out of control. Many demands for impractical content, e.g., hundreds of units (nobody can manage that many units). Eidos should counter impractical demands logically and firmly.
    3b) Negative product comment should be allowed, but forum activists should not be allowed to hijack the forum with personal agendas and mis-information repeated endlessly.
    4a) Xbox 360 vs PC product development priority should be based entirely on sales volumes and profitability.
    4b) Eidos should accurately document internet bandwidth requirements and limitations. What is the minimum acceptable uplink speed? What is the maximum acceptable ping? Include online indicators if a game is likely to have problems because a host or player does not have an adequate internet connection.

Xbox 360 version!
    I personnally have had a big problem trying to get multiplayer to function properly on all maps, i don't know if a 1080i issue exists on origional maps but i get emence lag and dropped often, this has ment that with the increased problems of the dlc i have avoided it as i didn't want to buy it and have it not work.
    As for the way this content has been handled, it's nice to know that you guys at eidos listened to the 360 community about the price but to little content still and i think what made the problem worse was the fact that the origional game came with so little of any content/replay value and the delay with the pc dlc should have been mentioned on here, even if it was just 'technical difficultys, delayed until further notice'
    The communication could be better on here aswell, many of the threads get out of hand due to lack of official knowledge, and i still can't see if anything will be done to improve the 360 MP.
    Not sure it would have compromised anybody to say were working on a patch for this, or not.
    I would also be a good time to piont out that your own website for this game is still advertising 100 units over xbl and gamespy? that might want to be rectified.
    Ok for the sequel, you must create a great game with lots of content and features and then work on dlc that will compliment this.
    Any dlc should represent value for money.
    Some of the offical members of eidos (intrepid sole & @m) have been quite rude in the past and needlessly closed threads or denied problems.
    And for this website, i'm not sure it would affect you deal with ign if new things were posted here at the same time.
    This came so close to being a great game with a great in game engine, don't let the sequel fall short!

Originally Posted by andy3536
    Some of the offical members of eidos (intrepid sole & @m) have been quite rude in the past and needlessly closed threads or denied problems.
    I do not work for Eidos. And as I mentioned before the closure of threads can be discussed via pm.

3.Your views on PR,ect.
    International Man of Mystery
    1. I think that it was handled fine.

2. I think charge equally or not at all. Also, I thankfully experienced minamal (1st couple days) to none (after 1st days to present). Ofcourse except for the occsional lag of bad host.

3.I thought it was fine, I just wish you guys were on more often and answer the questions, but when you did, you seemed to have done your HW.

4. Make the next one windows live so PC and 360 can play togeather. Also, look into "connection" host (see posts in BSM 2 still have voice thread)

Also thanks for finnaly coming back!!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

1. i was ok, I didn't have a problem, but for those that did, it was a pain having to open up ports on the modem. (low end machines)
    2.I haven't seen it yet on the PC to judge. Price - No price, but if some type of editing tool was included, the devs wouldn't have to make DLC. The community would have done it for you. And a lot of it too.
    3.ok, you guys can only do what your bosses say is ok to do. I'm sure some of us would like to hear something when its been weeks with no information.
    4. Can you email the SDK, just asking
    5. Thanks for th post Kier. Game Well.

Chip, you're my hero. The mediterranian theatre woulld be great. Any idea when the sequel relesse date will be announced?

1.Good, everything went smoothly
    2.Cheaper, or more content (just repeating what they said)
    3.Same as gamer.
    4.same as above
    5.ITALIAN NAVY. please and a skirmish mode.

Great game loved it, but plenty of room for tweaking and improvement.

Mainly for Online
    A better online Lobby with chat function, news (so pple know about new patch etc) and a buddy tracker would be great.

More maps or the ability to change the starting forces would add heaps to the re playability in multilayer.

VOIP option maybe for team m8's would be kinda sweet as well.

and to keep it brief for Single player
    Just a longer and maybe more dynamic campaign, so perhaps you could build up different forces take non linear mission option so each time you replayed SP it would be a new experience.

An option to play the SP campaign co op in multi player would also be fun.

and Finally
    for the PC version a few more hotkeys etc since the controls at moment for pc version feel like there almost directly ported from xbox, pc's have alot more buttons use em

Anyway thanks Keir for the DLC good news and compiling the community feedback, BSM is a pioneering title but is well on the way to evolving into a kickass classic

Thanks for all your responses. I'm going through all the responses and putting them into a document, which I can pass on to the producer and product manager this afternoon. I've also got a really great wish-list document (about things like skirmish, map editor, online connectivity, etc) which I'm also passing on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last