Thread: THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY Fan Review Thread!

THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY Fan Review Thread!

It's been a few weeks since the release of THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY, we hope you've been enjoying the game and all the additional tracks!

Let us know what you think in this review thread for the game. What parts did you enjoy most? Did you have any problems with the game? How is the use of the Nintendo 3DS?

We'll post, together, always marching, for honor!

Enjoying the large amount of unlockables and the achievements placed in it. Always love achievements for fun like in this game and Kid Icarus.

Strongly dislike the additional tracks though. While good, this is the first game to feature paid DLC on a Nintendo console in the United States. Nintendo is jumping on board the DLC bandwagon with first party titles as well, so I can't blame you, but let's just hope this does not become a habit from Square Enix. Would hate to see Square Enix peak CAPCOM’s levels.

So far I only have four major gripes with it: some of the trophies are just plain unfair to those of us who don't live in the city <sub>(I have had 8 streetpasses in the last year, how am I supposed to get 99 proficards or share 50 bylines for this game???)</sub>, 26 of the 77 tracks weren't available in the challenge mode, the lack of button controls were a little disappointing, and the Chaos Shrine selection was very limited, making it get old quickly.

Other than those I'm loving the game, it's definitely an 8.5/10. My thoughts on different aspects of it:
    - The song selection was for the most part amazing, though there were a couple "How the heck did this make the cut?" songs <sub>(Mi'ihen Highroad and Awakening, I'm looking at you)</sub>.
    - Gameplay was well executed, addicting, and very fun.
    - Streetpass would be useful at first <sub>(assuming I lived in the city and actually got streetpasses)</sub>, but after unlocking all of the characters and getting a Dark Note with a Magic Pot it becomes almost entirely useless.
    - The graphics were a little silly, but that was actually a plus for me because going with more realistic Dissidia-type styles would have been far too serious for this game.
    - The music quality of the 3DS speakers is rather poor, so decent headphones are needed to get the most out of the game.
    - The lack of button controls made the museum, Chaos Shrine, and DLC menus a bit of a pain to navigate.
    - Sephiroth and Seifer seemed really out of place. I understand it was for fanservice reasons only, but having only one villain and one... rival-like person on a team of 27 heroes just doesn't sit well with me.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment. It seems like mostly negative things now that I'm reading back through, but I guess that's because the positive don't need to be explained as well.

I loved this game but like Basho, I will probably miss the streetpass trophies, since here in Brazil it's difficult to find another person with a 3DS.

As for DLCs, here they cost twice the US price, I know it's because of the money conversion but still, the price is salty for a music stage.

And lastly, I would highly like to see new characters in the game, like Tifa, Balthier, Fran, and Layle from ''The Crystal Bearers'' (Just a dream xD) and maybe songs from Spin-off Final Fantasy Titles, like again musics from ''The Crystal Bearers.''

Originally Posted by Basho

"How the heck did this make the cut?" songs <sub>(Mi'ihen Highroad and Awakening, I'm looking at you)</sub>

Awakening is one of my favorite songs, so while I had nothing to do with its inclusion, go ahead and blame me

Actually I think its a pretty strong fan favorite, it was definitely a big hit during our promotions a few years back. (I'm assuming you're referring to Awakening from FINAL FANTASY XI).

Just a random "guess" as to why Seifer may have been put in: Laguna, who would have fit sticking to Dissidia spinoff criteria, has a machine gun as a weapon. It probably didn't fit the character style and attitude they wanted to portray for this game.

AKA Gunblades are cool, but actual guns aren't.

The game is great. Final Fantasy games have the best soundtracks of any games out there. Content, from the song choice to the little details such as bylines really give a full experience. As for the 3D I don't tend to use it much, for any games that is. The gameplay is very smooth and fun. Ultimate difficulty is a challenge even for a rhythm game veteran such as myself.
    “Turn to the light. Don't fear the shadow it creates.”

Originally Posted by Robert Peeler

Awakening is one of my favorite songs, so while I had nothing to do with its inclusion, go ahead and blame me

Actually I think its a pretty strong fan favorite, it was definitely a big hit during our promotions a few years back. (I'm assuming you're referring to Awakening from FINAL FANTASY XI).

Having never played FFXI beyond putting about 8 hours into the two week trial, I wouldn't know the significance of the song. However, after playing the song again with decent headphones, I actually like it a lot. Without headphones it seems like we miss every sound below a middle C due to the 3DS's speakers, and without any lower rhythmic support the melodies and higher rhythmic support made it sound very... I guess mediocre leaning toward sub-par is the best way to put it. That would be a suggestion for future Theatrhythm games if they happen, maybe strike a deal with Nintendo to have a packaged set of the Nintendo 3DS Headset and the game for $60 (40 for the game, 20 for the headset at 30% off).

What parts did you enjoy most?

remembering the good parts of the games i have played (1 - 7 i have beat, 8 and 9 i have played but never beat.) and liking the music from the games i have not played.

Did you have any problems with the game?

nope. have tried making glitches with whatever comes to my mind but nothing. this game was coded very well, was slightly worried with the pre-rendered videos because i have gad trouble with those kinds of videos before ( youtu.be/3tL63z-UFns ), but no glitches at all so far.

How is the use of the Nintendo 3DS?

very nice, liking how everything is on the top screen when playing songs (not the music player) and the bottom screen has nothing to make you be like "wait, wtf was that" and look at the bottom screen. the 3D is alright, i play in 2D most of the time though. with the pre-rendered videos i do not even bother watching them with 3D on, WAY too much ghosting, and that is annoying.

overall, pretty damn good game. so far have bought a few DLC songs, only will buy them from FF 1 - 9 seeing as those are the only ones i have played. and with over 80 hours of play time on it for me, this is one of the best i think.

Originally Posted by Robert Peeler
    We'll post, together, always marching, for honor!

i can see this being in the game, very funny.

oh, and also, i pre-ordered the game and never got the preorder bonus stylus. so far have had no way to contact anyone about it from the support page , so thats one bad point.

Originally Posted by Basho

Having never played FFXI beyond putting about 8 hours into the two week trial, I wouldn't know the significance of the song. However, after playing the song again with decent headphones, I actually like it a lot. Without headphones it seems like we miss every sound below a middle C due to the 3DS's speakers, and without any lower rhythmic support the melodies and higher rhythmic support made it sound very... I guess mediocre leaning toward sub-par is the best way to put it. That would be a suggestion for future Theatrhythm games if they happen, maybe strike a deal with Nintendo to have a packaged set of the Nintendo 3DS Headset and the game for $60 (40 for the game, 20 for the headset at 30% off).

Robert's correct in that it's a fan favorite. When the 8th Anniversary Greatest Hits FFXI record came out, Awakening was either voted 2nd or 3rd most popular. Myself included, it's my favorite theme from the game and one of my favorites of the entire series, so you can blame me too. As for in-game significance, it's the final boss theme.

ETA: Also, my only guess for Mi'ihen Highroad is that they didn't want to include yet another motif of Zanarkand or Suteki da ne. That leads me to my biggest complaint really: X and XII's crap music selections. Why did we need two arrangements of Suteki da ne? Why Mi'ihen? Why Giza Plains or Clash of Swords (it's possible this is just a really well-liked track, but I think it's generic Star Wars battle fodder)? X is a bit harder understandably, since there are all of maybe 5 prominent themes in the game that aren't based off of other arrangements or tracks, but there are plenty of better battle and field themes in XII that could have been used.

What parts did you enjoy most?

All of the ULTIMATE SCORE! I love the challenge it offers, and i love those sick BMS ultimate scores! Squall-Nathan is correct --> "Ultimate difficulty is a challenge even for a rhythm game veteran such as myself." - such as myself too XD

Also, i enjoy the increasing speed + rotating arrows + variation of note patterns integrated in Chaos Shrine, that part is pretty challenging and fun. I remember the first time i saw those rotating arrows --> "wtf, are you kidding me?!" lol

I love the inclusion of Music Player, and it still plays when you close your 3DS, i wish there could be some "random" or "shuffle" options just like any music player in computer. And also i wish DLC tracks could be added to that music player.

Did you have any problems with the game?

When i played chaos shrine for the first time, i have a problem waiting for some songs to come out until i got into no.50+ dark note that i just realized that not all songs from the "series mode" are included in the chaos shrine. I just read somewhere else that its only 20 songs for chaos shrine. Sometimes i wanted to say "this song again?!" after clearing few notes.... so i had to resort in changing game mode after awhile (after hearing Mambo Chocobo for the nth time).

I find it a chore to unlock the ultimate score for each song, i mean for a rhythm game veteran (like me), some would rather jump to the hardest difficulty.

How is the use of the Nintendo 3DS?

Touch screen are very responsive, i think the game should be bundled with screen protectors lol jk. Eye-hand coordination game mechanic plays well. Use of streetpass feature is also interesting especially when you can share your statistics, favorite song, party members, and funny "bylines" though i haven't streetpassed anyone yet.

The music is quite loud, that the 3DS speakers can't handle it, headphones are recommended.

Other thoughts/opinions:

The game is addicting and fun rhythm game (mediocre phrase but it is really like that), but the rpg game mechanic is quite shallow but still adds a little to the fun factor... i'm not really a super fan of final fantasy, i just played ff7,ff8, and ff9(haven't finished), but i do really like rhythm games especially if it is challenging. To tell you honestly, when i first saw the trailer of this game i said to myself "Meh, this rhythm game is so easy" until i saw a fast BMS gameplay in that trailer - that part of the trailer sold me, with all honesty...

I purchased TheathRhythm Final Fantasy on 3DS and I love it, it has good music, great difficulty, hours of fun and good way to play with friends.

P.S. I would like if you launches remakes of all the Final Fantasy Series games on Wii U and/or Nintendo 3DS, and I want you to apreciate Nintendo consoles in your next launches, please. I would like it so much. Thank You

Love the game (will give a more thorough review later when I have had more time to write), but I wish that those of us who bought the game for one major console didn't have to re-buy so much of the stuff for the mobile version of the game (and this same thought applies to other ported games that originally were on another console).

For some games that are old (like FFVII, FFVIII), I can understand re-buying a previously owned game to an extent. For example, I very happily re-purchased FFVII for the PC after already owning it for the PC since its PC release years ago and I also re-bought the games off the PSN (during a promotion) so I could play them on my PSP even though I owned both the PC versions and the old PSOne versions.

But for a game that was newly released, it kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth to have spent so much money on doing the pre-order for the game (the price plummeted in some places and even before Black Friday) and then having to re-buy the same game for something like my mobile platform (iOS).

I wouldn't mind paying a little for the new stuff that my 3DS version doesn't have, perhaps, but aside from the two introductory songs and the introductory characters, everything else is paid-only. Having spent the full amount of money on my pre-order, I'm not terribly keen on paying for everything one more time just so I can play it on my iOS device (where the game sometimes lags unexpectedly and where the controls aren't quite as responsive and I am on a brand new iPod Touch 5th Gen)... which leads me to my question.

Will there ever be a consideration for the offering of a (significant) discount on games ported to the mobile platform if we already purchased the game for a major gaming platform within a certain period of time and have proof of purchase in the form of a receipt and the registration code?

For example, I still have my Theatrhythm receipt from when I picked up my pre-order and I have my registration code to enter (which I still haven't yet) and recently, upon its release to the App Store, I picked up the same game for my iOS device.

I understand that porting games costs money as there is some reworking to get the game to work for other platforms, but at the same time, buying the same game twice within months apart is a bit much.

This game does justice not only to the splendor of the original series (and i exclude FF13 and online from that) it does justice to nobuo uematsu's music.
    If you're a final fantasy fan from the earliest hour you will one day die with this game still in your hands i guarantee it, you cannot stop playing this game. :P