Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun Screenshot Competition - Round One

Big Grin Fun Screenshot Competition - Round One

Hello Raiders, I am finally back from my holiday but whilst away I typed out the following guidelines on my Dell Axim for the contest to save time! The rules which can be pasted in for each subsequent round Please feel free to give me a nudge if you think there is something important I have left out and I will edit my post! I've really missed you all and am delighted to be able to return with something for us all to get our teeth into!

Finally, may I take this opportunity to thank everyone who participates and wish all of you fine raiders the very best of luck and, most importantly, have fun!

Competition Rules

Only one entry per person per round.

Screenshots should be original and not copied, editted or Photoshop enhanced. Screenshots depicting in-game bugs will only count if the current round has allowed bug pictures as an individual 'theme'. All other rounds should contain pictures of Lara Croft in ordinary gameplay.

Each round will span 7 days, after which time the voting shall commence in a seperate thread.

Voting will also last for 7 days.

Entrants may not vote for their own entries. Non-participants are welcome to cast a vote and points shall be awarded on a scale of 1-3 (Three points for your favourite descending to one point for your third favourite).

The entrant with the most points upon closure of the voting will get to choose the two themes for the next round.

Two themes must be offered - one must be a level from a particular game (All entries can now include screenshots from Angel of Darkness, Legend and Anniversary), and one must be a random theme such as 'Lara near water' or 'Lara on fire', for examples. The dual theme ensures that those who do not have all of the games can still participate in the competition.

Round One

Chose and present a screenshot from the following two options:

1) TR II - Wreck of the Maria Doria
    2) Lara Croft on a vehicle

Good luck everybody!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

My entry

Bomb-diving

Thumbs Up

This is a little like the Graphics Challenges and Caption Challenges we used to have in the Eidos Community Chat forum.

Let's see what folks come up with.
    "Ignorant people think it's the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it's the sickening grammar they use. --Mark Twain"

Rooftop Ride

To be proud of virtue, is to poison yourself with the antidote

View from the top

signature image
    I am Set, god of chaos and the desert. I add to the balance of the world. Without chaos and destruction, there is no peace and harmony.

Excellent screenies folks!

Lightbulb

Fantastic initiative, Lo!

Underwater Hunting

Excellent effort Treeble

Funny as I was down in that area for ages yesterday with a similar idea! I swam a little further and into the far left corner (dead end), rolled and then hoped to get a close-up of the shark as it was about to gobble her up but I wasn't quick enough and kept getting eaten!

I eventually swam for the key and decided to progress a little further. In spite of the length of the level and the nice scenery it is incredibly hard to select just the right area to get a good shot - before you know it, you are approaching the level end. Thus my shot was taken where it was as there was no way to back-track from that point and I couldn't face starting over again!

Cheers, Lo. I actually had to download saves from Stella's site as I only have backed up one at the end of each level, so I kinda did it 'on the fly'. Took a few screenshots and decided this one was best. Funny thing is that Lara's arms were stuck that way -- never before had I used the look key underwater while holding the harpoon gun, so while it seems she's aiming on the shark to the right, she was launching harpoons on the shark on the left! (<-- NOT for the competition!)

Headache, I don't think you can use Legend screenshots can you?

Just so I know, I only have to do one of those options do I? Because I don't have TR2, but I can do a vehicle one.
    "I'm up for a little heresy"

Yes - good point there. Sorry Headache I failed to take note of my own rules

The reason we omitted certain games was because the graphics are much more sophisticated and by default, they make shots from earlier games appear less aesthetic. perhaps headache could select another shot from any of the other games (even though your shot was most beautiful)

Yes Athiest, just one of the two so it looks like a vehicle shot for you! So glad you could join us - thank you for your participation and welcome to the fun!

Snowmobile Battle, from Tibetan Foothills in Tomb Raider 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo. View Post
    Yes - good point there. Sorry Headache I failed to take note of my own rules

The reason we omitted certain games was because the graphics are much more sophisticated and by default, they make shots from earlier games appear less aesthetic. perhaps headache could select another shot from any of the other games (even though your shot was most beautiful)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo. View Post

Two themes must be offered - one must be a level from a particular game (excluding Angel of Darkness, Legend and Anniversary), and one must be a random theme such as 'Lara near water' or 'Lara on fire', for examples. The dual theme ensures that those who do not have all of the games can still participate in the competition.
    Am I reading this wrong?

Lol, I thought the random theme could be from any game, because like I said, almost none of my older TR games work.
    Or Im having a major brain-burp!?

I think Headache's screenshots is valid and under the rules for the second choice. I didn't think we'd be rating the graphic aspects, but more so the gameplay/fun/position of the game. If we're going graphical, nobody is ever going to enter a TR1 screenshot, even if they got their system to run it.

Thanks so much for pointing out the oversight. It is rather like writing out an insurance policy for a kangaroo who has been robbed by a pick-pocket

As I said in those rules:

Please feel free to give me a nudge if you think there is something important I have left out and I will edit my post!

To that end I will edit the post to make it clearer.

My apologies for any errors. I re-read my post many times and it was clear to me but clearly not to others. Sorry!

Lo

Big Grin

Haha, you scared me for a second there!

Everyone makes mistakes and I must say Lo, you're quite creative and smart - so we'll just let that one slide

It's all good though

Thanks for your understanding Headache

I did like your shot however - it seems you have a way of captiring a good image so I hope you'll be entering another good one from one of the other games! I always think certain shots will look better than they actually do! I'm not that good at capturing shots with ambience.

No offence, but this thing will be a bust if AoD and Legend are excluded :/

I was planning on posting something before I saw that.

Hi Captain Mazda,

Sorry you feel this way and no offence taken at all

Maybe at some stage I should host a poll and see what others think about incorporating the two games you mention into the contest?

I'd hate for anyone not to have full enjoyment of the fun. Maybe for this round you could find a good shot to enter from the other games in the series? I'm pretty sure you'd provide a good shot and then we could examine the options prior to round two. I'd hate for you not to join in! Perhaps you'd take mercy on me and indulge me

I think Treeble said it best. We should be judging the rarity/special scene within the screenshot rather than the graphics. Otherwise the sheer power of next-gen Legend would be a sure winner each time

Well, maybe I could reinstall my older TR games, but I'm just too darn busy <:]

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Mazda View Post
    I think Treeble said it best. We should be judging the rarity/special scene within the screenshot rather than the graphics. Otherwise the sheer power of next-gen Legend would be a sure winner each time

Well, maybe I could reinstall my older TR games, but I'm just too darn busy <:]
    Now listen up young Mazda We want and need your screenshot!! It only takes a few moments to re-install my treasure, and with the level skip feature you'll soon be at the place you want to be

Just for you, I will start a poll now that will concern future rounds. That way everyone gets a fair say. I was only doing what most other contests do with TR screenshots but actually, as the game has evolved, maybe we should allow the future and current 'better graphics' games to feature.

I just thought I was being practical but if we throw it open to a poll then maybe round two's rulings can be altered. I can easily PM the winner of round one with the new rules to be pasted

Thanks for the input and inspiration

Thanks for putting all this together. It'll help keep some traffic flowing for the Legend forums

Smile

Tee hee you're welcome. I aim to please - unlike the last man that used my toilet

Unhappy

NOOOOO! Well, Lo, just when you had me motivated to try and submit a screenshot (no easy task, but you did it), I can see that I skimmed too quickly over the text, and now I can't enter my screenshot. It's such a great shot! WAAAA. OK, so I should have read your rules more carefully. Nevertheless, I'm going to pout until I feel better or round two happens. *pout pout pout*

...maybe I can think of something for TR2, and I'll keep my screenshot for another occasion. Let's see...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast