Thread: AI control vs. player control

AI control vs. player control

AI control vs. player control

Need advice on balance of AI tactics when controlling multiple units in a formation....

How well do your unit perform if you give orders versus taking command of a unit yourself? .... Are some units better on AI than others, like planes over ships when both can be control by the player?

The reason for the question is that I have found in the real-time heat of battle, I get tunnel vision on the FPS action of my unit and bad things are happening in the overall battle.

Another question is about a single ship on AI control... When you are manning a DD...and are controlling, say the guns... will the AI be controlling the AA and Torps? ...is it better to just control movement and let the AI handle the firing of weapons?

I am not talking about the fun factor here, but just what the best approach to winning the battle with using the game AI in best possible mode.

When you are dealing with multiple attacks against your single unit then a lot of it is a matter of what sort of attacks you are facing. Enemy ship artillery is normally the biggest short term threat to your existence, moreso than a sub's torpedos or some dive bombers overhead. Those hurt, but not as much as the other ship's guns. So you are better off shooting back at the enemy ship then trying to shoot down the torpedo bombers and letting your AI shoot at the enemy ship. Just be sure, if you can, to have all of your men in damage control on the most threatened system.

As to deciding what unit to operate when attacking, when you have a choice, just go with what do you like to do best? The airplane torpedo bombers seem to be the worst for AI attacks, but the dive bombers and fighters seem to do okay. The ships don't do bad for attacking on AI, but totally screw it up when handling damage control. So you have to watch that. Also, subs on AI with orders to attack are easily sunk by enemy destroyers.

1-
    It depends, sometimes you need to multi-task and send a ship off to deal with other warships, like sending a DD to hunt a sub because your managing air ops. Generally they tend to do very poorly, see #2

2-
    Yes, if you are manning one weapon system then the AI will take over the others, though you need to turn your torpedos "on" in the order menu for the AI to use it. However the AI gunnery is pretty atrocious, at least the ships on yourside. Sending your AI into a gunfight is bound to get you sink, man the guns yourself.

Originally Posted by Utah
    Need advice on balance of AI tactics when controlling multiple units in a formation....

How well do your unit perform if you give orders versus taking command of a unit yourself? .... Are some units better on AI than others, like planes over ships when both can be control by the player?

The reason for the question is that I have found in the real-time heat of battle, I get tunnel vision on the FPS action of my unit and bad things are happening in the overall battle.

Another question is about a single ship on AI control... When you are manning a DD...and are controlling, say the guns... will the AI be controlling the AA and Torps? ...is it better to just control movement and let the AI handle the firing of weapons?

I am not talking about the fun factor here, but just what the best approach to winning the battle with using the game AI in best possible mode.
    B- first- the ai is controling any gun that your not, it will not fire the gun you are running.

a- the simple answer is that it less effective than doing it yourself, but how you set up your attack runs will determine how well the ai will perform eg. if you set you torp planes on a carrier coming from the side or from the front or rear will effect how many hits you make, does the guy your trying to hit see you and evade? Is the guy piloting the boat or aiming a gun while you fire ect.. all decide how well the ai will do its job, if the ai was better than a person then there would be no need for the fps element....

A-The point is that your actual fps game time is at a premium, and you have to stagger your units whenever possible, so that ideally when you take over a unit your other units are not engaged.

eg. if you launch 3 squads of bombers at a target, unless you space them out so that your units hit the target one at a time, while your piloting one plane to fire , your other planes will be on ai firing at the same time, so your just directly aiming 1 plane out of 9(3 squads of 3 planes).

if you stagger your squads you will take over each squad as they get into an attack run to give it those final adjustments to max hit, this way your looking at 3 planes (one for each squad being controlled by you)

Experts stagger their squads and come in on their target from a diagonal angle, and take over each each plane in each squad to personally fire the torps off all the planes one at a time, which means all 9 planes in 3 squads have been piloted and fired by you this results in the maximum dmg you could make on a bombing run.

Ships are pretty much the same, if you have 2 or 3 units it makes no sense to toss them all in at once, let say u have 2 bb's and the enemy has 1 bb and one ca, then you can send one bb on each, take over your bb thats nearest the enemy bb, to fight that one directly. Why because a bb can maul a ca on autopilot.

Point is again stagger your units to be able to take them over one at a time without losing control of the over all stratagy. This game is all about multitasking , if you get tunnel vision because you get too focused on the fps you will have to adapt, some simple tricks are like i said to stagger your units to that they dont avoid engaging at once, if they do, the you have to pick the most valuble unit to control and hope for the best for the others.

Another trick is keep your artillery bunched up when firing, what i mean by this is dont crank off a shot evertime a green light appears, wait until alll your guns are loaded then emty all your artiller at once . why? besides having a bunch of hits all at once, the 5 seconds or so it takes to releod, gives you the time to pop open the map or repair screeen to either change repair slots or check out whats happening globally, if done fast enough, you will pop back into your boat with the artillery lights just poping up(if you take too much time your boat will autofire and most of your arti will miss)

also if your not in fps u should always be on the map, you should be on the map at least 50% of the game.

(i hope the devs improve the main map at some point make it more interesting, seems if you spend that much time looking at a screen it should look better than that, ideally they should do a real time grainy overhead map sort of like a satillite (yes yes i know they didnt exist but it would still deepen the player experience)) besides they didnt have any form of realtime map so whether it looks like lego's or a sat map, neither is accurate but my idea would be better :P

hope this helps

Ship with simultaneous attack and waypoint orders

I would often like my ship to have an active attack order, and simultaneously have the AI driving it toward a waypoint. I've found the ship AI steers the ship in ways I do not like when I just enter an attack order.

Is there any way to set an attack order, and a waypoint at the same time?

Big Grin Slightly different answer

Everyone talks about how bad the AI artillery is BUT,

1) The AI does no damage control at all. I have won outnumbered fights by micromanaging damage control, and leaving the artillery to the AI

2) The AI is supremely bad at tight manuevers, but really good at dodging torpedos. I watch the AI basically becoming a sitting duck by backing up, the going slightly forward over and over. If you are getting nailed just put the ship on a slight curve and full speed ahead to keep moving! However the AI seems really good at getting those torpedo shots to miss by inches. Esp with the destroyer, where on the map, it is actually *MUCH* smaller than its footprint.

3) The AI doesnt seem to me to be as bad a shot, as it is slow. If BB is in medium artillery range then you MUST take over as I don't the AI even fires the medium, but the AI is so horrible at #1 and #2 here, that AI artillery is my thrid concern.

Originally Posted by wayneflo
    I would often like my ship to have an active attack order, and simultaneously have the AI driving it toward a waypoint. I've found the ship AI steers the ship in ways I do not like when I just enter an attack order.

Is there any way to set an attack order, and a waypoint at the same time?
    On the map, give the ship your move order. It will attack the most opportune target resonabley. If you use the alt-S menu, it seems to follow that attack order WITHOUT abandoning its move order as well.

Correct me if Im wrong!

Lots of great pointers here guys...really appreciated the advice