Thread: While we still have a voice-What do YOU want in BSM2?

While we still have a voice-What do YOU want in BSM2?

A compromise there would be to give them maybe two Fletcher guns at most, and make them more vulnerable to cannon fire.

Carrier vs Destroyer
    Destroyer has HUGE advantage, due to having better arcs (most DDs have 5 to 6 guns, while my hypothetical CVs would only have four, two to port and starboard) and having torpedoes, which already cause damage a-plenty to a CV.

Carrier vs Carrier
    Much more even, and if CVs are made more vulnerable to cannon fire they would sink in a reasonable amount of time against another CV, and even faster against a DD.

Originally Posted by battleshipman
    Thats just it though one shouldn't win over the other.
    I dunno about you, but having played plenty of new games, I've found that almost 90% of all newly-made games take visual effects over gameplay. Have you not heard of Rise of the Robots, as an older example?

i also think that CVs should have some deck guns, maybe even thoes 8 inch guns. but before you get all weird at me saying that, i also think that the guns of a CV should reload about 1/4 as slow as other ships, as most of the crew would be concerned with the flight deck. even though the firing arcs would be horrid, and a CV would lose 1 on 1 with a destroyer, it could still finish off a badly damaged destroyer before it caused too much damage.

Originally Posted by Arrow
    A compromise there would be to give them maybe two Fletcher guns at most, and make them more vulnerable to cannon fire.
    Why not give them their full compliment of guns but put them high enough off of the water so they can't hit a DD thats any closer than .3? Another way it could be done is put "X" amount of guns on one side of the ship and the same on the other. Giving it "blind" spots that the guns can't hit. Lastly you could make the CV's deck guns inaccurate as they would be mostly trained on shooting flak shells. And why should they be made more vulnerable to cannon fire? So someone who can't play worth a won't get mad when he loses his DD to a CV?

I dunno about you, but having played plenty of new games, I've found that almost 90% of all newly-made games take visual effects over gameplay. Have you not heard of Rise of the Robots, as an older example?
    Do you read my posts or just reply to them? I did not say they should sacrafice gameplay for looks or historicall accuracy I said the two should be meshed together. Hence why I wrote
    one shouldn't win over the other.

i know every one likes the WWII setup but i like to see a modern day navy game being a sailor myself

Originally Posted by battleshipman
    Why not give them their full compliment of guns but put them high enough off of the water so they can't hit a DD thats any closer than .3? Another way it could be done is put "X" amount of guns on one side of the ship and the same on the other. Giving it "blind" spots that the guns can't hit. Lastly you could make the CV's deck guns inaccurate as they would be mostly trained on shooting flak shells. And why should they be made more vulnerable to cannon fire? So someone who can't play worth a won't get mad when he loses his DD to a CV?

Do you read my posts or just reply to them? I did not say they should sacrafice gameplay for looks or historicall accuracy I said the two should be meshed together. Hence why I wrote
    I quote myself:
    "Gameplay should come before history, although I'm sure both can be accompished to a certain degree."

Make sure you read my entire post next time!

One problem with decreasing accuracy on that would be that then you'd have a hard time hitting DDs, since they're small and move quickly. I'm not saying it's impossible, but really: I think a DD should be the only ship that a CV should put up some kind of fight against; versus any other ship - CL or higher - the CV should lose every time.

Modern? There are at least a thousand reasons wrong with that, the least of which is that there are no real naval battles anymore, unless fighting the occasional nautical raider is fine with you. Even then, what would it consist of? The US is one of the few countries that operate battleships, firstly; carriers would be WAY overpowered, second; and finally, why bother fighting it out with cannons when you've got guided cruise missiles? Sounds boring and stupid, in my opinion. That's got even less material to cover than Atlantic!

I quote myself:
    "Gameplay should come before history, although I'm sure both can be accompished to a certain degree."

Make sure you read my entire post next time!
    I did read that post but then you went on to post these two
    Incorperate history where you can, but gameplay HAS to come first
    but if one has to win over the other, it's just got to be gameplay.
    Then you went on to post about gameplay again.
    dunno about you, but having played plenty of new games, I've found that almost 90% of all newly-made games take visual effects over gameplay. Have you not heard of Rise of the Robots, as an older example?
    If all you want is gameplay, maybe you should look at getting an nes. theres a fair amount of games there that had great gameplay. Seriously if this game can't get gameplay and graphics that look good (and are historically accurate ships classes plane skins etc.) its not going to work.
    In Game:
    -=)CSF(=-bttleshpman

"Incorperate history where you can, but gameplay HAS to come first "

"but if one has to win over the other, it's just got to be gameplay"

Gameplay should supercede history, but both are very important.

Originally Posted by SWSEABEE
    i know every one likes the WWII setup but i like to see a modern day navy game being a sailor myself
    I much prefer the WWII setup. I'm hoping we'll see the Atlantic after BSP, hopefully then we'll get modern day. Maybe the Falklands?

Originally Posted by SWSEABEE
    yeah, possibly the game can be modded for this once it has a unit editor. however i think modern day sea fights would be rather boring, as everything would consist of missiles. no artillary, no torps, no dive bombing.

Originally Posted by sona1111
    yeah, possibly the game can be modded for this once it has a unit editor. however i think modern day sea fights would be rather boring, as everything would consist of missiles. no artillary, no torps, no dive bombing.
    yeah I agree modern day wouldn't have much action

Anotehr suggestion, not a groundbreaking idea, just for fun. Would anyone like to be able to name their ships? Not specific units like the Maya or Lexington which were historically at Coral Sea, but launching a renown from the shipyards on Solomons, it needn't be one fo the real Renown class, you could, if you ahd a spare moment type in your own name.

Originally Posted by Bismarck1990
    Anotehr suggestion, not a groundbreaking idea, just for fun. Would anyone like to be able to name their ships? Not specific units like the Maya or Lexington which were historically at Coral Sea, but launching a renown from the shipyards on Solomons, it needn't be one fo the real Renown class, you could, if you ahd a spare moment type in your own name.
    sounds like a nice idea. also with the map editor clans could have all the ships named for each member already.

I could see that as a host option, but it's not as simple as it sounds. What if some idiot named their ship XxXSmoke#weed#$4$%Life#XxX?

There's always that possibility. But it shouldn't be allowed to spoil it for everyone else. Here in England our Government let's that happen all too often these days. Plus, there's already people with stupid usernames out there. I think this idea would let people who have ships they'd like in the game excluded name one after that ship, or just invent their own name. So I'd be calling my Kongo's on Solomons KMS Scharnhorst and KMS Geniesenau!

What about designing your own ships?
    Of couse they would have limits, weapon choices, hull design, and for a carrier, the planes!

that would be awsome.

Originally Posted by General_Snipe77
    What about designing your own ships?
    Of couse they would have limits, weapon choices, hull design, and for a carrier, the planes!

that would be awsome.
    I think something like that would make the game alot easier to hack. Imagine hackers getting into it and giving A set of wildcats Yamato's main guns but retaining the same rate of fire as the MGs its equiped with.

I could see that as a host option, but it's not as simple as it sounds. What if some idiot named their ship XxXSmoke#weed#$4$%Life#XxX?
    Then it would show up as XxXSmoke#weed#$4$%Life#XxX

You could also turn it into something racist and/or demeaning, and I'm not going into specifics about that. >.>

The problem exists with usernames already, but at least those can be banned. Ship names, in-game...all you can really do is kick.

Hi, First post, odd that I havn't posted yet or even registered since I play this game so much... Anyhow, Ive gotten somewhere around page 25, then I skipped ahead to last page. Heres some ideas I feel very strongly I would LOVE to see in the game:

1. Destroyers should not be able to take 5 torpedoes (3 with no damage control). It is almost impossible to hit a DD anyways, it seems rediculus that in order to sink a small destroyer you'd need more than an entire torpedo salvo from a submarine. Ive never seen any simulator allow this much damage, its also somewhat logical, its a high-powered explosive amplified by underwater pressure, DD armor would not at all last more than 3 torpedo impacts.

2. Along the idea of arming CV's with guns, I think that it'd be to give them about the same firepower as a DD(mabye lexi and one of the Japanese CV's could have large guns in coral?). In a 1-on-1 match with a DD, it should be about a 55% to 45% chance for the winner, in favor of the CV, as the CV would have a much larger amount of health, and the DD would have torpedoes. Its annoying on Phillipines and somewhat rediculus when all my destroyers are out and a single enemy destroyer that managed to slip by can annihalate the CV's.

3. I can not say how much I desperately want an editor, I think that most players and posters would agree, it would be nothing short of "totally awsome". the game would have a much larger amount of re-playability and the possibilities would be endless. Think of H3 as an example of this, and that is only with a severely limited impression of an editor.

I KNOW I have more but I can't think of them atm.

For naming ships, mabye the host could select the player in the player list, where they're would be a list of his ship's names (if he used a non-defualt name, not giving away the class), then replace any of the ship's names with a defualt name.

Anyhow, ive seen a modern version suggested quiet a few times, I dont think it would be quiet as bad as most ppl think, Ive played Jane's simulation a lot of times, along with a large number of other modern naval simulators.

Im Imagining that the battles would be US VS Soviets. The missiles would be a primary weapon, though as they aren't very difficult to intercept, so you would need to be strategic with them.

The scale would be WAAY down, as it actually is in the current BS:M, so you would be able to get close enough in to use your guns, the advantage is the shells cant be shot down.

The Air-to-Air combat would be intense, somewhat like in BF2, as for submarines the detection system would be more complex, you would have the option(for surf and sub) to turn on/off active sonor, giving away your position with a chance to get theirs, same thing with radar, and you could also slow down to decrease passive sonor signature.(I kinda have a picture in my mind, cruising along in a Spruance DD, and firing a seasparrow at an incoming missile).

Seems like an interesting Idea, I suggest some thought into that.

Heres some food for thought: Battlestations: Star Wars, mainly space battles, or mabye H3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIsuh...eature=related(those missile salvos would probolly be what BS: Modern would have if there would be Slavas, though Aegis would shoot most've them down, the rest would be shot down by CIWS. (Probolly not true, but thats from an optomistic patriot )

I was thinking about a Battlestations Star Wars idea. It'd be pretty neat, and one can use Empire at War for a basis of all the ships and whatnot.

Regarding your points...

1. I think they're meant to be hard to sink with torpedoes simply because their main prey - submarines - are armed with torpedoes. A fight between a DD and a SS should (from what I've seen, anyway; this is a guess as to what Eidos intended) favour the DD. I think that's why DDs are meant to be torpedo-resistant. At any rate, it doesn't really matter since they're pretty vulnerable to cannon fire anyway.

2. I really don't think the CV should win against a DD. Think about it this way; the Kuma is pretty much a souped-up DD, as is the Atlanta in the anti-ship sense. From my current perspective, giving a CV DD-like striking power; should a fight between a CL and a CV result in:
    1. The CL taking considerable damage, and the CV sinking
    2. The CV taking negligable damage, and the CV sinking

I personally think that #2 is more reasonable. CVs are NOT meant to be DDs, and therefore they should have fewer guns and less armour than a DD.

3. I think we've been pushing for that one for a long time now. Map editing and modding are the two major ones people have tried to push for.

I really don't think the CV should win against a DD. Think about it this way; the Kuma is pretty much a souped-up DD, as is the Atlanta in the anti-ship sense. From my current perspective, giving a CV DD-like striking power; should a fight between a CL and a CV result in:
    1. The CL taking considerable damage, and the CV sinking
    2. The CV taking negligable damage, and the CV sinking

I personally think that #2 is more reasonable. CVs are NOT meant to be DDs, and therefore they should have fewer guns and less armour than a DD.
    Then theres no real point in giving the CV any DP guns, SO lets just solve the problem now and say they don't put them on it.

That's what I've been saying, but I don't think they're listening to me, firstly.

Secondly, I've never run out of planes like the way they put it, but it's not saying that it can't happen.

That's what I've been saying, but I don't think they're listening to me, firstly.

Secondly, I've never run out of planes like the way they put it, but it's not saying that it can't happen.
    I've been in ALOT of battles that both sides ran out of planes, There needs to be a "draw" feature although I'm not to sure how it could be added.

This is probably taking things too far, but what if there was an option to scuttle your ship, similarly to how you surrender, but with a single unit. This would have one obvious application, a way to rectify the annoying mistake of launching the wrong unit from a shipyard. I'm sick of launching a Tone instead of a Kongo on Solomons cos of lag when scrolling unit lists or just a slip of the finger. What do you think?

I think it'd be a good idea, but I think that the feature should pretty much only apply to shipyard-launched ships. Imagine the chaos that would reign if, once Samar started, some idiot scuttled Yamato just for the lulz?

Page 58 of 76 First First ... 84854555657585960616268 ... Last