View Poll Results: Are you experiencing issues with teh new DL content?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

11 23.91%
  • Yes, cannot join a game

0 0%
  • Yes, cannot stay connected to a game

8 17.39%
  • Yes, crashes after a few moments

27 58.70%

Thread: March 28, 2007 Download Content issue thread

March 28, 2007 Download Content issue thread

Originally Posted by countrytom
    Changing Xbox resolution in system controls to 720p is a winner for me! It works so well, I just played about 7 in a row with no problems at all. In fact, the host wouldn't launch until all 8 people had done the same thing. We played together as group of 8 until someone had to go somewhere.

It is a backdoor fix, but at least it works.

And guys, you whine when Eidos isn't around (I did too), but you whine louder when they show up?

Give it a rest.
    Some people don't have progressive-scan TV's, and thus don't have the advantage of simply switching from 1080i to 720p (Virtually the same visually).

Like Andy for instance, I believe is going to have to go all the way down to 480i, which is a pretty big difference.

Originally Posted by andy3536
    If you never complain they will never know anything is wrong!
    And they wouldn't be working on this patch.
    Which is why I'm saying it's time to stop complaining... they're obviously listening.

Originally Posted by countrytom
    Which is why I'm saying it's time to stop complaining... they're obviously listening.
    Fair piont, for the moment.
    Provided things still move along like this i feel alot more optimistic.

Originally Posted by Vince Vega
    Some people don't have progressive-scan TV's, and thus don't have the advantage of simply switching from 1080i to 720p (Virtually the same visually).

Like Andy for instance, I believe is going to have to go all the way down to 480i, which is a pretty big difference.
    It does suck for those who can't run 720. Agreed. I'm hoping Eidos is working on a fix. After all, I'd rather not have to keep switching my settings back and forth just for BSM, and for poor souls like andy it is a real difference.

Perhaps Eidos will be sending a check in the mail to us all for work done as playtesters.

I'm just glad I'll be able to play this map tonight with my friends. I also wonder if this might not also fix some of the other drops on other maps (like Coral Sea) that we've attributed to lag.

Early word is that it helps, Blackfire. People who were having problems with dropping games, have seen dramatic reduction. Funny thing is, it says on the box "720p"... you'd think we all would have figured this out, though I suppose it really doesn't make sense. All I can figure is that if the game is 720p native, your Xbox would actually have to interlace the picture in order to put it out to you television... actually a fairly inefficient process (Though not as ineffcient as deinterlacing)... not the point though.

My point is, that the Xbox could be having trouble with doing all this at once.

In the future I'd reccomend setting your 360 to whatever the game claims to have as a native resolution... Not only will this get a better picture, but could avoid things like this in the future.

Early word is that it helps, Blackfire. People who were having problems with dropping games, have seen dramatic reduction. Funny thing is, it says on the box "720p"... you'd think we all would have figured this out, though I suppose it really doesn't make sense. All I can figure is that if the game is 720p native, your Xbox would actually have to interlace the picture in order to put it out to you television... actually a fairly inefficient process (Though not as ineffcient as deinterlacing)... not the point though.

In the future I'd reccomend setting your 360 to whatever the game claims to have as a native resolution... Not only will this get a better picture, but could avoid things like this in the future.
    My box says " hdtv 480p/720p/1080i"
    You might want to look again, it is sold as working with 1080i and must at some piont soon run with it.

My box says " hdtv 480p/720p/1080i"
    You might want to look again, it is sold as working with 1080i and must at some piont soon run with it.
    Oh ok... I hadn't actually looked at it, I was just going by what someone else said. You can tell that it's supposed to work with it, as most of the maps work fine... I think it's just all the processes going on within the 360, upscaling, drawing maps from Hard drive, playing the game... so on and so forth, and it just craps out. That is my final hypothesis.... HA!

Funny thing is, it says on the box "720p"... you'd think we all would have figured this out, though I suppose it really doesn't make sense. All I can figure is that if the game is 720p native, your Xbox would actually have to interlace the picture in order to put it out to you television... actually a fairly inefficient process (Though not as ineffcient as deinterlacing)... not the point though.

Virtually all Xbox 360 games are rendered at 720p natively and then scaled to whatever output you select. The only exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head are PGR (rendered at less than 720p...like 540 or something) and I believe the new Tennis game can render at 1080. Everything else is 720p natively and then scaled by your xbox or HDTV depending on your dashboard settings.

I played all evening at 480p only on the new map and never once was dropped or had any sort of issue. I can't test it on 720p on my set. 1080i is a definite GAME BREAKER.

I have tried with the supposed work around changing my resolution to 720p from 1080i, and while I am fortunate to have a TV that supports every HD resolution available I am still getting lock ups.

For the record I haven't moved to 420p to see if it is better there, but I am not a tester for Eidos and 420p resolution isn't one of the key selling points that got me to purchase the game.

At this point I would really like to understand why it doesn't work with the miracle work around at 720p for me, but I suppose waiting for an official fix will be what I end up getting, it is just a question of when.

Eidos, please continue toward an official resolution and not a possible, likely, questionable band-aid fix as the end result. Thank you.

480p is NOT an absolute fix. I just locked up on the new map. I don't know if it was a coincidence but . . . I was on the map screen in an American sub on the far western (left) side of the map. I was moving down the edge to the bottom corner when I realized I needed a full tank of air before going into the southern gulf. I turned north, got the "you're about to leave the map" warning pulled back just a bit towards the east and then turned north (to get out of range of the battleship hiding in the gulf). I went to lay in a course due north and as I hit the A button to set the course right on top of the red map border the game locked up instantly. I had to restart my 360.

if I'd sold something more than 50% of my customers are complaining about, I would get it off the Marketplace, fix it and then rerelease it...

Originally Posted by hiscore
    if I'd sold something more than 50% of my customers are complaining about, I would get it off the Marketplace, fix it and then rerelease it...
    At least you'd think they'd put up a warning along with the DLC so people who download it would know what to do. Currently, when newbies download the new maps they have to learn the hard way about changing their settings.

In Battlefield 2:MC Electronic Arts (EA) has a scrolling marquee with notices. Something like that would be perfect for Battlestations.

intrepid_soul Guest
    Originally Posted by hiscore

I agree, if it were broken in the first place. It seems if you have the 1080 option enabled it causes issues with the game since it doesn't support it. i agree its odd it works without the content.

intrepid_soul Guest
    Originally Posted by LORD BLACKFIRE
    At least you'd think they'd put up a warning along with the DLC so people who download it would know what to do. Currently, when newbies download the new maps they have to learn the hard way about changing their settings.

In Battlefield 2:MC Electronic Arts (EA) has a scrolling marquee with notices. Something like that would be perfect for Battlestations.
    This is going to sound like an excuse but its not, remember EA has over 1 billion in cash on hand, they can do just about anything.

You would also think CS would be completly aware of the problem and solution before end users are, but many times its end users that help CS figure out some of the more bizzarre issues.

Originally Posted by intrepid_soul
    I agree, if it were broken in the first place. It seems if you have the 1080 option enabled it causes issues with the game since it doesn't support it. i agree its odd it works without the content.
    Hmm, when you say it doesn't support it do you mean it doesn't support 1080i intentionally or accidentally?
    Because on the back of the case for the game it says it supports 1080i.
    And don't forget that switching from 1080i to 720p or 480p hasn't worked for everybody.
    And your multiplayer on the 360 without the content has many problems on a similar level (although not the same extent) so any fix needs to help with existing maps.

could this problem be selective to HDTV's? I have asked a few people that have been able to play the map and they don't have HDTV's.
    I don't know if there is any signifigance to this but That is what I have observed.

Originally Posted by sabbath420
    could this problem be selective to HDTV's? I have asked a few people that have been able to play the map and they don't have HDTV's.
    I don't know if there is any signifigance to this but That is what I have observed.
    It has worked for some but not all.

Backdoor fix no longer working for me.

Next stop, gamestop.

Too bad because I really like this game, but I just cannot waste time in my precious free time.

Unfortunately for me as well, the movement to 720p doesn't completely solve the issue. While the movement downward in resolution does reduce the number of times of lockups, it still happens quite a fair bit, usually at the wrong time.

Even more sad is the contacting of Eidos Support regarding this issue. Reading the boards it seems that some appear to care about the issue, some are in flat denial, they actually lack the will or ability to solve the issue and don't want to face up to the face.

The latest solution from Eidos is to keep downgrading the visual setting to 420p to *see* if that works, which on a large TV makes the game look very poor, and pointless if they don't know if it is going to solve the issue as they are clearly make random guesses. I suspect that if the game locks up at 420p I will be furthered asked by Eidos Support to keep downgrading until I eventually get to 1980 Atari resolution which might actually work.

I am unclear as to what I will do at this point with the game, but I clearly feel as though Eidos has pulled a bait and switch, and frankly doesn't care to try to resolve the issue other pushing the issues aside and moving along.

Clearly we the consumers are at fault for actually expecting what was printed on the game box to be true from Eidos. All we can do is remember this and make note on further purchases that bare the Eidos name, and maybe over time they will learn to perform better.

Oh and to quote "Sean McCloskey" Eidos Interactive Technical Support, "Try setting it to the next lowest setting in the xbox dashboard." after *weeks* of working through the official support channel on the issue. pfft!!!

intrepid_soul Guest
    Originally Posted by MindlessMuppet
    Unfortunately for me as well, the movement to 720p doesn't completely solve the issue. While the movement downward in resolution does reduce the number of times of lockups, it still happens quite a fair bit, usually at the wrong time.

Even more sad is the contacting of Eidos Support regarding this issue. Reading the boards it seems that some appear to care about the issue, some are in flat denial, they actually lack the will or ability to solve the issue and don't want to face up to the face.

The latest solution from Eidos is to keep downgrading the visual setting to 420p to *see* if that works, which on a large TV makes the game look very poor, and pointless if they don't know if it is going to solve the issue as they are clearly make random guesses. I suspect that if the game locks up at 420p I will be furthered asked by Eidos Support to keep downgrading until I eventually get to 1980 Atari resolution which might actually work.

I am unclear as to what I will do at this point with the game, but I clearly feel as though Eidos has pulled a bait and switch, and frankly doesn't care to try to resolve the issue other pushing the issues aside and moving along.

Clearly we the consumers are at fault for actually expecting what was printed on the game box to be true from Eidos. All we can do is remember this and make note on further purchases that bare the Eidos name, and maybe over time they will learn to perform better.

Oh and to quote "Sean McCloskey" Eidos Interactive Technical Support, "Try setting it to the next lowest setting in the xbox dashboard." after *weeks* of working through the official support channel on the issue. pfft!!!
    w00t! I love being called out.

First issue, you are in the middle of troubleshooting, as I told you, we are committed to finding out the root cause of the issue that is very specific to you. As I told you all who have contact support on this issue have found resolution by downgrading their graphics setting to 720. The reason for this was given to me in what ammounted to a 2 page discertation on graphics and settings by a member of QA. It amounted to basically having too much information on the screen causes 1080 to lag out if not all together crash.

For the record I think Pitfall would be kick arse at 420, and I suggest checking out some screen shots from that era. Nothing you can do will make any 360 title look like a 2600. Although a 2600 cheat would be awesome if done right.

Too be clear, in your case we are making random guesses as you have stated that there is no improvement in the 720 setting. Everyone else seems to have had sucess except you. I can only speak for those contacting support, not anyone on these forums.

Trust me when I speak to everyone on this issue, I am equally frustrated as you look back and see me cheerfully admit this title doesn't support 1080. this was based on faultly information that was given to me. I have since checked the back of the box (I know, novel concept), and see the 1080 is listed. While it is easy to point the finger towards Eidos there is a co-conspirator that bares equal blame. ALL GAMES released for console are put through a QA process and a 1st party submission process. In order for a game to be on the shelf 1st party has to sign off on it. In order or patches or DLC to be released 1st part has to sign off on it.

PS. The 29th of March isn't necessarily weeks, while I agree it is excessive I look forward to working with you to resolve this in a less public forum.

w00t! I love being called out.

First issue, you are in the middle of troubleshooting, as I told you, we are committed to finding out the root cause of the issue that is very specific to you. As I told you all who have contact support on this issue have found resolution by downgrading their graphics setting to 720. The reason for this was given to me in what ammounted to a 2 page discertation on graphics and settings by a member of QA. It amounted to basically having too much information on the screen causes 1080 to lag out if not all together crash.

For the record I think Pitfall would be kick arse at 420, and I suggest checking out some screen shots from that era. Nothing you can do will make any 360 title look like a 2600. Although a 2600 cheat would be awesome if done right.

Too be clear, in your case we are making random guesses as you have stated that there is no improvement in the 720 setting. Everyone else seems to have had sucess except you. I can only speak for those contacting support, not anyone on these forums.

Trust me when I speak to everyone on this issue, I am equally frustrated as you look back and see me cheerfully admit this title doesn't support 1080. this was based on faultly information that was given to me. I have since checked the back of the box (I know, novel concept), and see the 1080 is listed. While it is easy to point the finger towards Eidos there is a co-conspirator that bares equal blame. ALL GAMES released for console are put through a QA process and a 1st party submission process. In order for a game to be on the shelf 1st party has to sign off on it. In order or patches or DLC to be released 1st part has to sign off on it.

PS. The 29th of March isn't necessarily weeks, while I agree it is excessive I look forward to working with you to resolve this in a less public forum.

If you read the posts in this forum and some of those at xbox forums you will see that lowering the resolution to 720p does not work for all (although it has for most)
    There is also another question as to those who test the game, do they all do so using the same tv?
    Surly it would make sence to try all these games at all resolutions on different types of tv and using the component cable, scart and vga lead. It would certainly appear as though the testing provedure was not as well managed as might have been.
    I still have many issues with this game on the other multiplayer maps with lagg and connection lost issues.
    I do not have the luxury of turning my tv output down to 720p as my tv will not support this and i have not paid out the money for a 360 and hdtv to play games in 480p.
    I have also herd of a few people having trouble that do not posses a hdtv.
    Cheack out xbox forums and you will see an accurate picture of the problem.

intrepid_soul Guest
    If you read the posts in this forum and some of those at xbox forums you will see that lowering the resolution to 720p does not work for all (although it has for most).
    I honestly don't have time to read posts in this or any other forums, I can only go off information given to me by end users like yourself. Everyone, with the exception of one, who has contacted support has found a solution with the lower resolution.

.There is also another question as to those who test the game, do they all do so using the same tv?
    Surly it would make sence to try all these games at all resolutions on different types of tv and using the component cable, scart and vga lead. It would certainly appear as though the testing provedure was not as well managed as might have been.
    Our games our tested by very hardworking and dedicated people in the UK, and as a former tester I can assure you that a wide variety of equipment is tested. I can tell you that high definition testing is tested to the requirements of 1st party, which goes back to the idea of misplaced rage. First party also tests according to their guidelines. Anything, and I mean anything on any console first had to get the blessings of the certification teams from first party.

I still have many issues with this game on the other multiplayer maps with lagg and connection lost issues.
    I do not have the luxury of turning my tv output down to 720p as my tv will not support this and i have not paid out the money for a 360 and hdtv to play games in 480p.
    I have also herd of a few people having trouble that do not posses a hdtv.
    Cheack out xbox forums and you will see an accurate picture of the problem.
    As I stated before and I am not sure where as I am trying to help here in the forums and still maintain a half way decent service level for the rest of the people who are contacting me through proper support channels, this title supports 1080, but due to the amount of content in the levels the DLC may lag or all together crash. The straight forward solution is to switch the Xbox to a lower resolution. The DLC is not required to play the game if you do not want to play with those levels if is your choice and you can keep playing in 1080.

I honestly don't have time to read posts in this or any other forums, I can only go off information given to me by end users like yourself. Everyone, with the exception of one, who has contacted support has found a solution with the lower resolution.

Our games our tested by very hardworking and dedicated people in the UK, and as a former tester I can assure you that a wide variety of equipment is tested. I can tell you that high definition testing is tested to the requirements of 1st party, which goes back to the idea of misplaced rage. First party also tests according to their guidelines. Anything, and I mean anything on any console first had to get the blessings of the certification teams from first party.

As I stated before and I am not sure where as I am trying to help here in the forums and still maintain a half way decent service level for the rest of the people who are contacting me through proper support channels, this title supports 1080, but due to the amount of content in the levels the DLC may lag or all together crash. The straight forward solution is to switch the Xbox to a lower resolution. The DLC is not required to play the game if you do not want to play with those levels if is your choice and you can keep playing in 1080.
    Sorry it appears i was unclaer, the lagg and the 'connection lost' problems i'm having are on the existing MP maps as i do not have the new content which i'm holding out on untill it gets sorted as my tv will not run 720p.
    It would be worth noting that xbox forums are a great way to see how your game is being percieved by those who have bought it and i would hope that you have at least someone at eidos relaying the problems people encounter and the details of how customers are enjoying the game. It is a great way to do a consumer survey with only 10 mins out of your time to surf the threads on this game.

Page 3 of 4 First First 1234 Last