Thread: Discuss Difficult Challenges Here!

Unhappy Discuss Difficult Challenges Here!

Thought we could have yet another new discussion to get the board buzzing folks!

Thought it might be fun to discuss areas of all the TR games which raiders found particularly challenging initially.

Practice of course makes (almost!) perfect so here are a few challenging areas that come to mind.

TR2 on the Maria Doria: You may have read my mention of this in the AOD flight thread but here it is again. There is a timed run whereby Lara has to access two rooms at opposite ends of the deck and in these rooms there is a switch. Not only has she got to pull both switches in the right order but she also has to jump over pipes that are on the deck floor.

Another area is beyond this where Lara has to swim upwards, pull a switch, pick up the dragon and pull another switch - all the time being attacked by barracudas and having to alter her direction to get through each of the hatches. I simply hate that bit and have never once done this first time.

In TR4 in that huge room there are two ropes and a great drop. I am still stuck there at the moment for she always misses the second rope - rope swinging is my worst nightmare and that is why I always loathe the Ireland level in Chronicles. One level is nothing but ropes and all the time Lara is being pelted with rocks from those Changelings.

I'll stop there and give others a chance to add some of their own nightmare areas

Challenge areas? Here we go:

TR2
    40 Fathoms: Getting inside the ship and out of safety before the shark gets you. I hate being chased.
    Temple of Xian: the sadistically awful spider cave! I hate that place almost as bad as Tinnos in Tomb Raider 3.

TR3
    High Security Compound: figuring out what to do took me ages. And to go so far without any weapons, the whole stealth aspect, is challenging as well.
    Lud's Gate: the whole underwater coloured alcove part. Not only do you have to worry about getting air, you must also deal with frogmen and the occasional crocodile!
    Lost City of Tinnos: The timed run to get the secret. I managed it by saving midway through and reloading (at the bridge). Bloody hard, and I had to deal with those horrible, horrible wasps upon returning (fortunately none inside the temple itself). I find that whole level more of an annoyance than a challenge because of the wasps, actually.

The Last Revelation
    Guardian of Semerkhet: the level's namesake and getting him to hit the eyes at the exact right angle; really tricky.
    Chambers of Tulun: the run to trap the Minotaur and then escape from him within a limited time is really, really tense.
    The Mastabas: As if navigating isn't hard enough, you also have to deal with those pestering jackals.
    signature image
    I am Set, god of chaos and the desert. I add to the balance of the world. Without chaos and destruction, there is no peace and harmony.

Hi Seth,

Shooting those eyes out is indeed a monstrous task (Guardian of Smerkhet).

You have to stand at exactly the right spot - just slightly beyond the wall but not so far that he can harm Lara with his bolts, and use the laser sight with the revolver.

I also dislike that Egyptian fun park place when you slide down the ramp just beyond the room with the joke mummy that pops out of it's coffin as Lara approaches.

However, the good news is that there is a bug you can use here. As you know, doing this area the correct way means you have to be fast as the platform upon which Lara lands collapses after a time and she falls down into a protruding square of the dreaded spikes.

Using the laser sight is problematic at the best of times for when you adjust your vision/target slightly to the left, right or up and down, the red dot goes miles out! This also is the main cause of the delay in shooting out the jewels of those Semerkhet eyes you refer to.

But in the fun park you can left-flip off of that platform and not trigger any spikes. From there you can take all the time needed to shoot out the targets. Thankfully, you don't have to get the bullseye each time either - even in the laser sight is slightly off target, the targets go down fairly easily.

Apparently, if you choose to do it the correct way, you only have to shoot one of the targets (can't remember which one), and the rest all fall down.

Tackling the Minotaur is also quite tricky, I agree. When you escape him you have to climb the ladder by positioning Lara to the far left or right of it - otherwise his incessant vibrations cause her to lose her grip.

Then of course we have to tackle the fire-breating dragon and the swarms of locusts on the next part of the level. Way too much to contend with in such a short space of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lo. View Post

Shooting those eyes out is indeed a monstrous task (Guardian of Smerkhet).

You have to stand at exactly the right spot - just slightly beyond the wall but not so far that he can harm Lara with his bolts, and use the laser sight with the revolver.
    You are talking about the Roman warrior's head in "Trajan's markets" in Chronicles there, Lo. not the "Guardian of Semerkhet" in LR, where you must position yourself so that he will ram the eye engravings in the last chamber with his horns. By "the level's namesake" I was referring to the Guardian himself; you remember, the gold and blue bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo. View Post
    Tackling the Minotaur is also quite tricky, I agree. When you escape him you have to climb the ladder by positioning Lara to the far left or right of it - otherwise his incessant vibrations cause her to lose her grip.
    You are supposed to lock him up in the mosque and then, within the time limit (about a minute and a half, or something like that) dash to the exit and escape. It's impossible to climb the ladder with him free and bashing the ground.
    signature image
    I am Set, god of chaos and the desert. I add to the balance of the world. Without chaos and destruction, there is no peace and harmony.

Oops sorry for the wrong reference Seth! I now know the area you refer to! Sorry about that - I do get my levels mixed up sometimes hehehe

As for the minotaur Seth, you can in fact climb that ladder without entrapping him in the mosque. As I stated, it's a tricky business but you can climb it so long as Lara is positioned to the far left or right (I think the left is the better option). Give it a whirl if you happen to have a savegame of that level

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lo.
    I'll stop there and give others a chance to add some of their own nightmare areas
    Hmmm...

TR3 : defeating the blonde boss in London.

TR4 : escaping from Seth in the end... it's hard to figure out where to go when you're constantly getting blasted with divine missiles.

TR5 : at the end of Red Alert!, luring the cyborg into the gas room whilst trying to escape gunfire from an Apache.

AOD : the Sanctuary of Flame.

Legend : the end boss... I tried for 2 hours before I finally nailed him..

Hehe - luring that cyborg into the chamber is where I'm at now but I have stuffed up there - it's so long since I played up to the end levels that I forgot what was coming and saved in a bad place - the cyborg caught up with me when I fell down one of the gaps so it is going to be hard to outrun him