Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: BS:M On Steam

BS:M On Steam

Exclamation BS:M On Steam

Steam (the client offered by valve which is where you can buy games and never have to use the CD) has just put up like ten or so Edios games available to download, BS:M included. Just letting you know that its up there.

Also I have a steam account and various games but i already have BS:M. Is it possible to add it to my steam account if not purchased through steam?

Good to know, thanks!!

As for your question no clue but i dont think so..

i doubt it since steam uses a seperate launcher like counter-strike and half-life. u could try using some1 else's steam launcher game files to launch the game by redirecting the launcher to the original executable file but there are some problems:

1. this could be illegal
    2. it most likely won't work(if it does im a terrorist's relative)
    3. i dunno if steam allows redirecting to the retail game's executable
    4. steam probably doesnt hav an option to open a game that is not set in its organization system

Originally Posted by Amit9821
    i doubt it since steam uses a seperate launcher like counter-strike and half-life. u could try using some1 else's steam launcher game files to launch the game by redirecting the launcher to the original executable file but there are some problems:

1. this could be illegal
    2. it most likely won't work(if it does im a terrorist's relative)
    3. i dunno if steam allows redirecting to the retail game's executable
    4. steam probably doesnt hav an option to open a game that is not set in its organization system
    this is probally another reason the patch was delayed. They are going to include steam support in the patch. This way it will cut down on pirated software. Also I am excited by this maybe with steam running they can fix someof the nagging network issues. maybe I am just hoping here but I am happy for the first time in weeks

Oh noes, steam.. Dont need it but it's required to play the other games avaiable . I just hate it when they link games to such an annoying program!
    . =VTF= - Virtual Task Force
    Recruiting for Battlestations Midway in the EU. contact me for more info.
    . Proud Hoster off: =VTF= Euro Full -- 4v4 -- Retail!
    (Stationed in Belgium @ 6Mbps/600Kbps)

Now kick But and leave yer toenails!

Originally Posted by EuT.be
    Oh noes, steam.. Dont need it but it's required to play the other games avaiable . I just hate it when they link games to such an annoying program!
    steam is the best platform of its kind, superfast downloads user freindly, u get the game right in your home 5 min after buying it, you can move your account to any pc without restrictions, its great.......

unless you like to "Test" the game out before buying, but usually they have a demo anyways.

If all games ran through a steam like client i think in the long run games would go down in price, there would be less pirating and they would eliminate the distro house (im sure steam takes a much smaller cut than traditional distro's, plus in the long run a service like this should be inhouse, not subcontracted out) , so that means a dev house can make more money per title , no middleman fees, no box set costs, no lost revenue from pirating, all in all positive stuff unless your looking for a free ride

hell ya, i just started using Steam yesterday and it isnt as bad ppl say it is, infact i hav no idea y they say its bad. i bought CS:S yesterday and it was botu 3.5 GB that downloaded in bout 2 hours considering im on a wireless b 11 Mbps connection

Originally Posted by Remo
    steam is the best platform of its kind, superfast downloads user freindly, u get the game right in your home 5 min after buying it, you can move your account to any pc without restrictions, its great.......

unless you like to "Test" the game out before buying, but usually they have a demo anyways.

If all games ran through a steam like client i think in the long run games would go down in price, there would be less pirating and they would eliminate the distro house (im sure steam takes a much smaller cut than traditional distro's, plus in the long run a service like this should be inhouse, not subcontracted out) , so that means a dev house can make more money per title , no middleman fees, no box set costs, no lost revenue from pirating, all in all positive stuff unless your looking for a free ride
    I totaly agree steam is the best client out there, lots of companies are switching to steam (edios just put on like 10 games last steam update)

But yeah steam is the fastest client + user friendly. Now all we need is to convince Ubisoft or EA to switch to steam and steam will become the best client out there officially. Decreasing game prices and pirating.

Steam - the weakness

The weak part of the steam platform is that you MUST BE ON-LINE in order to launch the games and play. This is why many people become unhappy with steam since if there is no internet connection it does not matter if you have the game and there no need for internet (e.g. Single Player Half Life 2) you simply can not use the title you bought. This is definitely an issue and a possible reason to "hate" the system that sets unreasonable "pre-requisites" to play the game you paid for.
    Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo.

Originally Posted by It3llig3nc3
    The weak part of the steam platform is that you MUST BE ON-LINE in order to launch the games and play. This is why many people become unhappy with steam since if there is no internet connection it does not matter if you have the game and there no need for internet (e.g. Single Player Half Life 2) you simply can not use the title you bought. This is definitely an issue and a possible reason to "hate" the system that sets unreasonable "pre-requisites" to play the game you paid for.

WTF? I have to be online just to launch the game? Has there ever been a more retarded concept?

BS:M is available on Direct2Drive. That's where I got it. You get the advantage of not needing a CD, and no oddball client to load. Very happy with my experience. Now if they'll just patch the blasted thing so more people will come back online.

well since most companies that use steam to sell their games are selling online multiplayers of some sort, it stands to reason that an internet connection will be available, whether the game has a singleplayer or not so thats a pretty weak point against it, also depending on the deal a company sets up with steam, alot of their games can be baught on cd/dvd then their serial is entered into your steam account making it available online too.

This wasnt the case with BS/m for the simple reason the game was officially released before they made their deal with steam, so they would have to release a new version of bs/m that uses steams authentication system.

And doesnt direct2drive need a new authorization code everytime you install the game? So if your pc crashes and you reinstall the OS , or for some reason your install is currupted, you have to wait for a response from customer service before being allowed to download and reinstall....... i think ill stick with the oddball client that allows me to reinstall as much as i like:P

My best option is still the retail boxed CD/DVD

Well I hope everybody understands that when I pointed out the weakness of the STEAM platform I wasn't really advocating against or supporting it.
    It is clearly a personal preference and choice everybody has to make on it's own. The only "trick" is if everybody is capable of making an informed decision? If you do not understand clearly the terms and conditions of the various options chances are you are going to have to face some bad surprise.

I was very excited a few years ago when the concept of being able to purchase and download full official games came out. Direct2Drive or STEAM or else.
    However, after looking into the terms and conditions having realized the compromises of this option versus the retail boxed product it was (and still is) evident for me that it will be a long time before I switch to downloads.
    My observations:
    1. Price - the downloadable version typically priced same as the retail box but there is no pre-printed manual and a physical media that serves as a backup
    2.A STEAM: as I mentioned you need to be on-line not only to download and install the game but at any time you want to PLAY it
    2.B D2D is different, however first you need to pay extra if you want to keep the ability to download "your copy" for an extended period of time (STEAM offers backup), second the games coming through D2D typically requires a different patch version than the retail box - complexity I don't like
    Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo.

1. Price - the downloadable version typically priced same as the retail box but there is no pre-printed manual and a physical media that serves as a backup
    2.B D2D is different, however first you need to pay extra if you want to keep the ability to download "your copy" for an extended period of time (STEAM offers backup), second the games coming through D2D typically requires a different patch version than the retail box - complexity I don't like

Price - I actually came out a bit cheaper since there was no sales tax (~8.5% around here). The zip that I downloaded is now on a DVD.
    Patch - This might matter if Eidos were publishing any patches for this game.
    If I ever have to reinstall I'll find out how difficult that process is.

also dont forget that all games sold in retail boxes have contracts with their publishers independant of steam or d2d, and that they have to follow the same price as retail otherwise, it would mean publishers would be at a price disadvantage and would sue, or that the publisher might be the only one authorized to allow steam to sell it, in which case they still make their cut without lifting a finger middlemanning at its best.

If however you look at games that were created and distributed on steam excliusively they are all very fairly priced compared to games that have retail copies available anywhere from 25 to 50 % lower than retail box games.

I do agree though that its an inconvienent situationnot being able to play unless your connected, but in 3 years of having steam thats never been a problem for me. And lets face it people are getting more connectednot less as time goes by.

Ideally steam should offer to mail us the dvd's and manuals, after purchase, for a fee if not for free. that way we would have the best of both worlds.

i like ur idea about steam sending us the DVD and manual in the mail, i woudl not pay for them to send it though since i bougth the game and i should get the DVD and manual free

Question

hi,

any stats for number of B.Midway via Steam players this days? Not many "retail" online players this days, started thinking about switching to the Steam version ...

thanks

I got my BS:M from steam and I can't get it to work. Everytime I try and get BS:M to start I get an error report. It won't even go to the first menu for BS:M it just gives me a black screen and an error report comes up. I've gotten CS from steam and no problems. It might be my comp cause I got the Demo for BS:M and it did the exact same thing. I could really use some help hope I'm not going too off topic. Steam is really great.

Originally Posted by It3llig3nc3
    The weak part of the steam platform is that you MUST BE ON-LINE in order to launch the games and play.
    In my experience, this is not true, old boy!

Start up steam without an internet connection and you get a nag screen that steam can't connect to the internet. You then hit the offered "start steam in offline mode" et voila.

Obviously you need a net connection for updates, multiplayer etc.

Give it a try.

Only other word of warning is you must have had a successful online login before you do this; if you start in offline mode, then quit out to log in as another user in offline, it won't let you as it cannot check the login details you supply with the online database.

Went to France at Easter and spent two weeks happily playing CS:condition zero offline.

Cheers,

Hogg.

Originally Posted by edthefirst

Also I have a steam account and various games but i already have BS:M. Is it possible to add it to my steam account if not purchased through steam?
    Yep, you can.

Log on to steam, go to the "my games" tab. At the bottom of that screen you will see a button called "activate a product on steam". Hit that and follow the prompts.

I have done this before; with half life 1, I bought a multi-pack CD box set that included half life:blue shift. Followed the above and it logged it into my steam account, fed it updates and so on.

When you do this, though, keep an eye on what the installer does. I have a feeling that when I did this, the steam client went and downloaded all the half life:blue shift content from its own servers, and used that installation; I think I ended up with two copies on my drive; the CD version I installed and the version steam downloaded.

The flip side is, of course, that you can add a game on CD to your steam account without having to install from the CD first; you just need your product registration/key supplied with the boxed version.

Cheers,

Hogg.

Only a select range of products (specifically those offered by valve) are available for STEAM subscription in the manner posted above.

Retail owners of Battlestations Midway do not own a steam subscription, you must purchase the game over steam.

Cheers,

-Lexxy.
    Don't you mean... Bizarro Forum?

Originally Posted by Lexxy
    Only a select range of products (specifically those offered by valve) are available for STEAM subscription in the manner posted above.

Retail owners of Battlestations Midway do not own a steam subscription, you must purchase the game over steam.

Cheers,

-Lexxy.
    I must admit I have only done it with boxed versions of steam games; maybe someone who owns a non-steam version of B:M could give it a go at see what happens?

Well I Havent Tried The Thing yet but i know that i acompanied my friend while installing his HL2 and it automatically trnasfered it to steam. I think he has a point though i think only valve games have that option...but i have yet to try (im not at my home for the next few weeks and i didnt bring battlestations midway to play *sniffle*)

lol you'd struggle to try also! As far as I'm aware the boxed retail edition of BSM lacks CD-Key authentication anyway!

Nope, D2D, Retail and STEAM editions are all different proverbial kettles of fish. Although I did make a funky patch which bridged the gap

(shh, big brother is watching).

-Lexxy.
    Don't you mean... Bizarro Forum?

They lack a CD Key =/

It's kinda BS as well. I just bought the game (Thinking I could use it through steam). Why sell it in the store if its sold through steam? Honestly, you're screwing the customers Eidos.

Never again, no matter how tempting, shall I buy from Eidos until there is a fix that is found and delivered.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last