Thread: Are Catalina planes on midway pointless?

Are Catalina planes on midway pointless?

Are Catalina planes on midway pointless?

I was using them yesterday & i found out that they actually can carry two torpedos which i thought was pretty cool. but they kept getting shot down very easy & didnt score a hit.

i know our enemies really went OTT with Zeros- but still the Catalinas did not give a good account of themselves.

if i remember right dont they have sonar? are not they suppose to be sub hunters?

They have sonar and can be equip. w/ depth charges, they are primarily used as sub-hunters.

I usually fly them around my carriers looking for those sneaky submariners...

o , lol i forgot about the sonar but i mainly use them for scouting out ships

Yes there useless on that map

see above

Of course on M1 where you get catalinas the japanese have no subs....

On M1 Ihave used them as distractions to try and draw the fighter cover off thecarrieres as I send in another wave of bombers.

Smile

Well, if you can get close enough, they have equipable torpedos, so
    That can make them a little useful
    On a Mission from God....

well i suppose if someone isnt paying attention then you can get close enough- but otherwise Catalinas are easily killed

Lightbulb

i use them armed with 2 torps, on the campiagn they are vey usefull for taking out AK's or cripiling DD's and CL's, thing is though they are normaly destroyed on the return journey

catalina's should be used for recon
    becouse they can fly higher then the Flak range
    and fighters having an hard time interecepting them

Question use them for cap

they do a great job for combat air patrol. they have guns on the sides that the AI uses or you can use by middle clicking.

FOr planes like this, I use them as a distraction. Some players don't pay attention and if the ai is controlling planes, they will chase, often several groups. It's just a good tactic to use worthles planes or any plane to get groups of ai to chase you. Sometimes 2 or 3 groups of ai will chase a plane,
    giving you time to attack.

I got 1 Catalina through 4 strikes in MI. Kept rearming and sending her OUT!! Anyways, the key to survival is #s so there. Anyways, if used right, you have some extra torps, if not, then you have a distraction, ether way, they do somthing!!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

I use them as kamikaze planes

i fly as high as possible and then... =======================> BOOM kami run on target

and i also use them as recon planes