View Poll Results: Wall Run!

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terrible idea. It's not for Tomb Raider at all. This is NOT Prince Of Persia.

23 35.38%
  • I love it. Won't make this game any easier. It's totally Tomb Raider

42 64.62%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having second thoughts about wall run?

Post Anyone else having second thoughts about wall run?

Yeah sure it looks cool, but does it really belong in Tomb Raider. There's a difference between TR and PoP, besides the different genders of the main character and the guns/swords.

PoP was without doubt much easier than TR, and after Legend being a walk in the park, I'm afraid that this new move might cause the game to be easy as well.

What happened to the old "How do I get to the other side?" "I'd better find another route."?

Now, I'm afraid you'll just use the grapple and run along the wall, and you're there.

So, what do you think? Wall run good or bad?

Bad.

Lightbulb

How about playing it first before deciding on whether or not it makes it easier?

When I saw the new move in action, I thought she should have had that ability from the start. It is totally Lara Croft's style.
    "Ignorant people think it's the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it's the sickening grammar they use. --Mark Twain"

It's bad idea because you will have to go non-stop straight.In old TR you had to find another road but now it will be easy.Every road will be good.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CatSuit&Ponytail View Post
    How about playing it first before deciding on whether or not it makes it easier?

When I saw the new move in action, I thought she should have had that ability from the start. It is totally Lara Croft's style.
    The wall run move in the part we saw was used as a seamless addition to Lara's usual repertoire of acrobatic stunts. It in no way felt out of place or like it was "the easy way."

This is still Tomb Raider, and felt like it. The Prince could learn a few things from our Lara.
    "Ignorant people think it's the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it's the sickening grammar they use. --Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by CatSuit&Ponytail View Post
    well, I guess we disagree here. it looks...unrelated(?)...to me.

as for the difficulty level - I agree that we all need to experience it before we judge anything since we can't be too sure yet. it seems to me that we'll be able to use it only on a few specific parts?
    IMO, this means a bigger variety motion-puzzles, but also MORE motion-puzzles and not "classic" puzzles/real quests. :-\ I hope I'm wrong.

Red Face (Embarrassed)

I noticed that the early games often had handy vines and ropes to cling to swing on and climb up.....now Lara carries her own. It's a retelling of the classic game strategy, that's all. As with the handy vines, the placement of the outcroppings she can use her grapple hook on are of course based on where it's needed for the motion puzzle. I really see no difference. She sees a room, sees how she can maneuver around the room to get to the spot she needs to, same as she always did.

We are all hoping for the best, and what I saw holds great promise.

Exclamation

It is more believable than having ropes hanging conveniently from the ceiling wherever there is a gap.
    The thing about Canadians is, they are very friendly people. But give them a hockey stick and they'll kill you.

Besides, wall run is possible. I haven't seen the trailer as it's still downloading, but two steps on a wall (known by traceurs as "tic tac") is perfectly possible. For a woman with Lara's abilities, tic tacking around should be no problem.

(and yes, I've wanted Lara to wall run ever since I saw Trinity doing so in a room filled with cops back in 1999).

OMFG HFCIT!!!!!!

Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in Leave it in !

Smile

Hehehehe, yeah, it was pretty cool, she did it so naturally. It just makes one feel as if she is actually making her own way.

But each move and change will please some and annoy others. It is just human nature. This particular move I find very cool, but I know others have the right to not feel as I do. But really, it is a nice move.

I don't understand why people think the wall-run will necessarily make the levels too easy. I assume the levels will just be structured in such a way that the wall run is sometimes useful, sometimes not useful. It's like saying, "I wish Lara didn't have the ability to climb in TR2! The levels would be much tougher if she had to find other ways to get on top of things, like she did in TR1!" The levels in TR2 were just designed differently, and still remained challenging.
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

Question for Cat or Goran: now we know she can wall run with the aid of her ever handy grapple, can she wall jump? I know that move was scratched off Legend's abilities because it allowed illegal shortcuts and wasn't truly necessary, but nevertheless, it's something Lara should be able to deal with no problem. You've played the demo, can she perform that move now?

Any other remarkable moves? I thought we were going to have to settle with the perch, which on its own looked so cool, but I'm so glad there's a much wider range of moves now.

If only it were Cubed...

Quote Originally Posted by GoranAgar View Post
    It is more believable than having ropes hanging conveniently from the ceiling wherever there is a gap.
    you're right, it is. however, both still look weird to me.
    (not un-natural, just weird in general, btw.)

I'm sure that we'll get some great motion-puzzles this way, but I...want to see or experience diffrent kinds, too. does it make me a moaner?

Smile

It makes you a concerned and passionate Tomb Raider, Shirl.

Treeble, I don't know what you are asking She could jump straight up to an outcrop above her, is that what you mean?

Thumbs Down

I don't really mind, I'd sort of like to have it as a new skill but it's a little weird tho and I like using the grapply/hook to just pull and swing on things, so there for I voted NO!

Nope, I meant if you can throw her against a wall and perform a second jump off the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by ditom View Post
    It's bad idea because you will have to go non-stop straight.In old TR you had to find another road but now it will be easy.Every road will be good.
    so you've played the game too huh?

where can we find a link to your review?

I didn't play TRA
    As I can see it will be easy game just like TRL because there will be a lot of motion puzzles and a lot of jumping and shooting.
    Maby you didn't see trailer?Or maby you played TRA?

Quote Originally Posted by ditom View Post
    I didn't play TRA
    As I can see it will be easy game just like TRL because there will be a lot of motion puzzles and a lot of jumping and shooting.
    Maby you didn't see trailer?Or maby you played TRA?
    i was just curious how you knew so much about how easy this game is when all you have seen is extremely short snippets of lara's moves.

but you are more than entitled to pass judgement on something you've never experienced first hand, so go right ahead.

Why is it that motion has got to be assigned to ease? Metroid Prime involves a lot of motion based moments and it's anything but easy. I suppose the word you are looking for is not 'easy' per se.

We've already been told that the game is non linear in several spots; so there we've got exporation again.

We've already seen lots of levers and switches; so there we've got old style "puzzles" again.

Now, we're given more movements and all of a sudden it becomes easy?

People seem to forget one tiny little detail. In the trailer we saw her perform the wall run using the grapple. The gap was too long even for a wall run.

So it got me thinking... Maybe she can perform it even without the grapple, and the grapple is just a boost for an extension, just like how the prince uses the ropes attached to the wall.

If my theory is correct, which I am willing to bet that it is, I can already see it: TR:A = wall run after wall run + wall run using the grapple = really easy game that you can beat in at maximum 3 days.

It is sooooo Lara..... now that the technology has caught up with game designers visions of charecters and their moves it makes completes sense for this move to be added to Lara repatoire.

As for if it makes the game too easy... why not wait till we actually play the game until judging that? Seems silly to critic what we can't possibly know.

beccaxx

Quote Originally Posted by Dragu Slave View Post
    If my theory is correct, which I am willing to bet that it is, I can already see it: TR:A = wall run after wall run + wall run using the grapple = really easy game that you can beat in at maximum 3 days.
    Even if it is correct, where would the fun be in that?

Isn't it is like how you could storm through many a game with cheats (although this wouldn't be technically cheating) but playing it 'properly' gives a much greater sense of satisfaction.

I've never played PoP but I'll be interested to see what I can do with this new stunt. I like Lara getting new moves. At first I was critical of Lara's abilities being too 'inhuman' in Legend, but after watching a few parkour vids, it showed me just what people are capable of doing. I say bring it on!

Lara's moves have been sort of like window dressing to me--they're part of the picture, but they're not THE picture.

As long as they don't have a sign pointing to the exit like they did in Legend, it should be a great new way to explore.

Last time I checked people couldn't run along walls without some sort of aid (except in the Matrix, damn that was a good film), and if we humans can, I should give it a go....

Then again, maybe not. But I suppose in real life people also tend to die once they get shot once, it doesn't require 20 shots, so maybe it could work But you no what? Who cares, this won't make the game easier, it will just mean they make the levels harder
    Raiding tombs since '95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast