Page 2 of 14 First First 12345612 ... Last

Thread: All hail the devs! NEW Content on the WAY!!!!!!!!!!

All hail the devs! NEW Content on the WAY!!!!!!!!!!

in australia normal xbox360 games are around the $120 mark but battlestations was $109 so this extra bit of money to pay for the 600 points will put the cost to around that mark so im not complaining. it seems to work out fine for me
    aussie aussie aussie OI OI OI.
    The barmy army need to pull their finger out seriously

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    I suggest we all don't jump teh gun until the additional content has been released. Patience grasshoppa

Thumbs Up

Originally Posted by Steel42
    P-38s??? Come on, you know I'm buying it.
    Oh yeah i cant wait for those but what about those beastly Gekko's! although the Mitsubishi A7M Reppu or the Kyushu J7W1 Shinden would have been cool too. Maybe in the future......i would also like to see the Oscar on a multiplayer maps as an intercepter fighter supported by more powerful, albeit slower, primary fighters. Im sure there would be comparable units for the Americans. I personally cant wait till this DLC comes out and I am highly anticipating the future DLC.

Check out these sites for WWII aircraft.

American Aircraft

Japanese Aircraft

This is a list I made up a couple of weeks back of planes i would like to see in future maps. You might have seen this list in another thread, for that I apologize....

American Fighters:
    Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
    Vought F4U Corsair
    Grumman F6F Hellcat
    Lockheed P-38 Lightning (check that one off!!!!)
    North American P-51 Mustang
    Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star (JET Fighter)

American Strike Aircraft:
    Curtiss SB2C Helldiver
    Douglas BTD Destroyer
    Vultee A-31/A-35 Vengeance
    Vought SB2U Vindicator

Japanese Fighters:
    Mitsubishi J2M Raiden
    Mitsubishi J8M Shusui (JET Fighter)
    Kawanishi N1K1-J Shiden
    Mitsubishi A7M Reppu
    Nakajima Ki.43 Type 1 Oscar

Japanese Strike Aircraft:
    Mitsubishi G4M Betty
    Nakajima B6N Tenzan
    Yokosuka P1Y Ginga
    Aichi B7A Ryusei

that's nice and all, new content, but I still don't see my Mother Corsair. Sorry for the outburst there, just ur putin in the Iowa.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

Originally Posted by chkltcow
    Wow... a whole new map.. for $7.50... there's that single player content we were looking for, eh? I almost feel less ripped off by horse armor, since it was only $2.50.
    I am very greatful 4 the new content, but I'd rather have 2 amazing MP maps, than 1 amazing SP and 1 MP.
    Anyways Thx gor the warships
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

Originally Posted by Samsonov
    There are games WITHOUT an editor that are like several bazillion times richer in content than BSM. Take any of the Total War titles for example. No editor, but you have 20 or 30+ very variable pre-set maps to choose from (mountains, desert, forest, snow you name it), bazillion of units (each of them customizable thru atributes like "veterancy", experience etc) and any of those maps may be played in multiplayer with **ANY** force players agree upon. Maps, countries, units, forces, money available to players, even starting positions - absolutely everything can be customized, EVEN without an editor. That's almost infinite replayability, and it CAN be done without an editor. No two games EVER will start from SAME positions and/or with same forces.

In BSM we have 9 pretty short and simple MP maps, that cannot be customized in any way - they are set in stone, and I think we all know starting positions in all of them. Now we get 1 (ONE!!!) MP map, we have to pay for it, and we oughta be happy about it??? Gimme a break. I love the game, and will continue to play it, but Eidos goes on my list of greedy and tightfisted C-level publishers.
    Yes, that is my primary complain too. There is no possible way of customization for the multiplayer maps. What kind of problem does exist, that we don't get maps where we, the players, can choose what kind of units we want to have? Nice example is the Yamato:
    I'd love to play this ship, but there is just one map with just one ship of this type included. So unless I start a server on my own I have virtually no chance to use it - ever.

Is any information out there yet about the PC version of the new content? Do we also have to pay for that or what? I definatly would pay for new content, but 7,50 US-$ would be too much for the delivered content. I'd pay more if they would include an advanced multiplayer mode like the one I already mentioned.
    But lets wait how the whole thing will look like when it's gone live. At the moment it is unreleased and there is still time left to change things.

Originally Posted by xgamerms999
    I am very greatful 4 the new content, but I'd rather have 2 amazing MP maps, than 1 amazing SP and 1 MP.
    Anyways Thx gor the warships
    You must have never seen my posts about how the SP game was obviously sacrificed for MP play... and I'm sick and tired of MP centric games coming out with a horrendously lacking single player experience (see also: Halo 2). I'd rather have a viable single player game than multiplayer anyday.

Originally Posted by chkltcow
    You must have never seen my posts about how the SP game was obviously sacrificed for MP play... and I'm sick and tired of MP centric games coming out with a horrendously lacking single player experience (see also: Halo 2). I'd rather have a viable single player game than multiplayer anyday.
    I guess thats where some people obviously differ. I prefer MP over SP because SP can get boring and to me has no replay value. I generally don't buy games that don't have a multiplayer component. I simply rent them because I don't want to pay 60 dollars for a game I beat once and its done. Yeah you can play it again on the higher difficulty but its still the same thing. Even with an offline skirmish mode against the computer would become dull to me because the AI is only so good and would be predictable after a few fights.

I prefer MP becasue it usually has a higher replay value. Each person plays different and is a new challenge. Although I will say that the way this game is setup for MP that it allows for less replayability because everything is set in stone. This is at least my general opinion for strategy games. Some of the strategy is taken out when the AI does the same thing each time.

Question

How much money (U.S) is the 600 microsoft points? I really think microsoft nickel and dimes it's customers...

Originally Posted by Admiral Biilly-o
    How much money (U.S) is the 600 microsoft points? I really think microsoft nickel and dimes it's customers...
    not a lot. somewhere around 6-7 dollars.

Arrow

First of all I love the game and have been waiting for one like it for a long time! I have read through almost everyone's responses and can relate to almost all of them, I am disappointed in the lack of a skirmish or editor mode, but however I am fairly excited about the Iowa and another more ship focused multiplayer map. As for the single player mission extension.....well thats cool, until I beat it then its just a waste of money. Also I have to be a penny pincher and say that $6-7 dollars is a little steep! Thats 10% of the total cost of the game!! Unfortunately its probably a 10% increase in game content (Harsh but probably true!) To be fair though, I do realize that this is very soon! I mean the games been out for around the month and we've already got DLC! That's pretty good. Now I'm not a developer and I have no idea how long any of this stuff takes but if I had to guess, I can't imagine it would take too much work to turn the multiplayer maps into a single player skirmish mode. Just include a unit selector, something where you can choose for example, oh I just want to do the Iowa vs the Fuso right now, or an entire fleet of destroyers vs the Yamamoto, or even if you're having a bad day and need to blow off some steam and do 5 U.S. battleships vs 10 Japanese Troop Carriers, just fun stuff like that! I don't always have time to sit in an online lobby waiting for that elusive 8th person to actually have a fair battle, and I just want a quick battle or just want to play with the big ships. I think the single player skirmish mode will push this game to the top, and new maps, (for multiplayer and singleplayer) through DLC will keep it there! So PLEASE PLEASE Developers, here our begging for a skirmish mode! We have an entire petition for it over on the gamespot forum for the game!

Hahaha just read this.

Battleships - Make your presence in the Pacific known with these floating fortresses, command King George V battleships, Heavy Jap battleships with 12 guns, or attract every plane in the U.S. Navy with the Yamoto

After reading this it sounds like a waste of money. If eidos want us to buy it they sorely need a single player scenario editor or skirmish mode. 2 maps and 4-5 new units! Whoo-Hoo. It would actually be nice if they let us use all of the units that are shown in the "Unit ID" section, then, maybe if they had all of the above, maybe I would buy it. I'm also seriously peeved off about it being 360 only, WTF!!

remeber i think you will find this ship on only one map (the DL MP Map). I will have to wait and see what the price is for the PC DL content. if its £3 like the Xbox ver i think i might wait till more DL content comes out and buy it in bulk.

I don't see how anyone can complain. I've only had the game a week and there is plenty to do if you take the time. Haven't even got to MP yet. I do know the few other games that I play don't get any support this soon.

However, is it going to be released in PC..My son does have an x-box, not that I would know how to use it. SHould I be playing on that. Didn't even know you could go online with those things...

Why do people talk about the fact that this new DLC is out so soon after release as if it's a good thing?

Chances are it was developed concurrently with the main game, and witheld from inclusion with the game to generate further revenue on release.

So picture this, board room, frappacinos all round:

Dev: 'Hey have you seen the cool minisub thang we got going in the game? That's a cool thang, players are gonna love that'
    Suit: 'Love it you say?'
    Dev: 'No I typed it not said it'
    Suit: 'Good point, that gives me an idea, lets hold it back till a month after release, let 'em have it then, and we'll generate more publicity when it's released as DLC'
    Da Man: 'DLC'? 'That's the stuff we charge extra for isn't it?'
    Dev: 'Well most companies charge extra yes but it doesn't have to be charged for, it's not law or anything, in fact Gears of War team worked out a deal and got sponsorship for new maps, Crackdown team released new characters on day of release for free, hell even Chromehounds gave some stuff away to say 'sorry' to gamers for it's network issues'
    Da Man: 'DLC?' 'We can charge for that can't we?'
    Suit: 'Yeah we could but TBH no one is gonna pay for just an extra sub'
    Da Man: 'Ok cut one map each from multiplayer and single-player, Oh and hold back on the Iowa too'

Cue scenes of celebrations and lines of white powder disappearing off 'ladies' parts

Now no-one is 'whining' about the DLC, but it is a FORUM to discuss and exchange views. It3llig3nc3 (misnomer if ever there was one) you wish that if we don't worship or 'hail' the devs we have no right to express our opinions? Or that by doing so we are 'whining'?

To quote you:

I find myself many times still amazed and thrilled to see the battle from the air circling above the ships and the action, bullets flying all over, smoke from the ships, beautiful water and land textures, etc...

Yes it all looks very nice, and I have been vociforous in my support for how graphically pleasing the game can be, but at some point you will relaise that no matter how pretty it is too look at circling from the air, you will never be a threat circling from the air, as the imbalances in the game that have been discussed aplenty by forum members have not been responded to in any way shape or form by the devs.

Hell even if the devs came on to refute forum members opinion it would be something.

Oh and one last thing, Rheinpfeil, seeing as you switched from console gaming twelve years ago can you stop telling us what console users want or do not want, you are making simplistic and ill-informed assumptions, unless of course you have some eveidence to back up your claims? Feel free to post your eveidence, I am sure I have plenty to discredit it.

Now can we all discuss the original posters statement........ 'All Hail the Devs!!!!!!!!!!!!!' ?

No, we obviously 'ALL' don't hail the devs. For those of you who want to worship the devs/publishers regardless of what they give fine, but for rest of us we WILL have debate about the value and longevity of the product we have paid for.

Originally Posted by Muddled Muppet
    Why do people talk about the fact that this new DLC is out so soon after release as if it's a good thing?

Chances are it was developed concurrently with the main game, and witheld from inclusion with the game to generate further revenue on release.

So picture this, board room, frappacinos all round:

Dev: 'Hey have you seen the cool minisub thang we got going in the game? That's a cool thang, players are gonna love that'
    Suit: 'Love it you say?'
    Dev: 'No I typed it not said it'
    Suit: 'Good point, that gives me an idea, lets hold it back till a month after release, let 'em have it then, and we'll generate more publicity when it's released as DLC'
    Da Man: 'DLC'? 'That's the stuff we charge extra for isn't it?'
    Dev: 'Well most companies charge extra yes but it doesn't have to be charged for, it's not law or anything, in fact Gears of War team worked out a deal and got sponsorship for new maps, Crackdown team released new characters on day of release for free, hell even Chromehounds gave some stuff away to say 'sorry' to gamers for it's network issues'
    Da Man: 'DLC?' 'We can charge for that can't we?'
    Suit: 'Yeah we could but TBH no one is gonna pay for just an extra sub'
    Da Man: 'Ok cut one map each from multiplayer and single-player, Oh and hold back on the Iowa too'

Cue scenes of celebrations and lines of white powder disappearing off 'ladies' parts

Now no-one is 'whining' about the DLC, but it is a FORUM to discuss and exchange views. It3llig3nc3 (misnomer if ever there was one) you wish that if we don't worship or 'hail' the devs we have no right to express our opinions? Or that by doing so we are 'whining'?

To quote you:

I find myself many times still amazed and thrilled to see the battle from the air circling above the ships and the action, bullets flying all over, smoke from the ships, beautiful water and land textures, etc...

Yes it all looks very nice, and I have been vociforous in my support for how graphically pleasing the game can be, but at some point you will relaise that no matter how pretty it is too look at circling from the air, you will never be a threat circling from the air, as the imbalances in the game that have been discussed aplenty by forum members have not been responded to in any way shape or form by the devs.

Hell even if the devs came on to refute forum members opinion it would be something.

Oh and one last thing, Rheinpfeil, seeing as you switched from console gaming twelve years ago can you stop telling us what console users want or do not want, you are making simplistic and ill-informed assumptions, unless of course you have some eveidence to back up your claims? Feel free to post your eveidence, I am sure I have plenty to discredit it.

Now can we all discuss the original posters statement........ 'All Hail the Devs!!!!!!!!!!!!!' ?

No, we obviously 'ALL' don't hail the devs. For those of you who want to worship the devs/publishers regardless of what they give fine, but for rest of us we WILL have debate about the value and longevity of the product we have paid for.

You raise a very good piont and since the start of the 360 they have been releasing games at £49.99 and then releaseing additional game content for more money when the simple fact is that the content was created with the game and chosen to be excluded. There is more than enough room on the disc for the content and is therefor only for money making.
    Any one who paid full price for the game has a right to be angry.
    And it would be nice for a game to be released either with everything included or the dlc free. We are not all rich and this is our hard earned money.

We all have to realize that this DLC stuff will piss alot of people off. DEVs can now make a game with 30 levels, and only put 15 in a game, then trickle release the rest over a year for more $$, it really sucks...but hey, since when did the consumer count anyways, its all about cash.

Originally Posted by Goobacca
    We all have to realize that this DLC stuff will piss alot of people off. DEVs can now make a game with 30 levels, and only put 15 in a game, then trickle release the rest over a year for more $$, it really sucks...but hey, since when did the consumer count anyways, its all about cash.
    Have you guys ever heard of running a business and making a profit. Why they may be there for our fun, the goal is to stay in business and feed you're family. Look at the hours of enjoyment you get for the money. Most of you probably spend more a week on eating candy and drinking sodas. So what they charge a few more bucks for some extra stuff that they may have already made.

All are doing this and it's just business. OTH, they could go broke or just make suck arse games for you guys that complain. You stay with the competition or you get out of the business..or forced out.

And you do have a choice...don't buy it, no ones holding a gun to your head.
    but you will,,

Originally Posted by Armistead
    Have you guys ever heard of running a business and making a profit. Why they may be there for our fun, the goal is to stay in business and feed you're family. Look at the hours of enjoyment you get for the money. Most of you probably spend more a week on eating candy and drinking sodas. So what they charge a few more bucks for some extra stuff that they may have already made.

All are doing this and it's just business. OTH, they could go broke or just make suck arse games for you guys that complain. You stay with the competition or you get out of the business..or forced out.

but you will,,

There is a difference between making a profit and extortion.
    This is not right as when you buy a game for £49.99 as it is in the uk you are not told that a large portion of the game is not included and that it will cost you more money to get at a later date.
    The majority of games on the 360 do not do this (although there are a few)and i think people have a right to be angry if they pay for the expencive game only to realise that many elements have not been included and you will have to pay more to get them.
    We have seen a few games release downloads for free and when most people have bought the game for £40 - £50 I don't that is unreasonable.
    Do not forget this is certainly something that was created with the game and could have been included on the disc.

Originally Posted by Armistead

but you will,,
    Of course we have heard of running a business, I'm not sure if that is meant as patronising, contemptuous, condescension or just plain idiocy..
    Also of course we expect any business to make a profit. However I think you may find that it's generally accepted in the business world to not sell someone a car once and run, but build a relationship of mutual trust and respect so that you can also sell a car to them everytime they are in the market for one. I will be happy to explain this concept further if you have trouble understanding it.

I think you will find that a game that topped the all format charts is making enough profit to not go out of business.

As for no one holding a gun to your head, games that release DLC are not always compatible with others that haven't got the DLC, hence trying to find people to play with becomes more problematic.

There are other issues with DLC too, I buy a game, and anyone in my house can play it. I buy DLC, and it is limited to one gamertag, so if anyone else wants to play it they can't do so on their own gamertag. As the father of two children who also play the games I buy that means I have to buy three downloads of the same item, or else we lose the individual scores and challenges from our (also paid for) live gamertags.

I have NO objection to someone charging a reasonable price for games software, but I do object to someone pissing on my shoes while I hand the money over.

And as for spending £50 a week on candy and soda.......... that may be your lifestyle but I would be suprised if it's the majority's

Simas? Oh, Lord...

ô_o WTF is NavyFIELD? And who the hell is this Barrett guy?

Again, look at what you spend compared to how much money you waste on junk and compare it to what you spend. I guess some of you are younger and maybe don't have the money, but most, this is a lunch a day. My guess is if you don't like the game, don't spend the extra few bucks. If you do, you will, supply and demand.

If it pisses anyone off that bad, don't buy it. Not like anyone is forcing it on you.

Yea, who wouldn't like to have it all the first time, but you can only do so much anyway. I can't imagine why anyone would mind if they enjoyed the game.

Each his own..this arguement goes on and on, but it's the way it is. You can choose to buy it or not. If you do, then it's worth it to you.

I think the comparison to car dealerships is a bad one. Most people don't exactly hold car dealerships in the highest regard. Also the dealerships are not necissarily owned by the car manufacturers (Some may, but I know most aren't). You are also comparing something that costs thousdands of dollars to something that costs at most 60 dollars. Also with cars you have to pay for upgrades.

I'm sorry but I remember the days when you bought a game and that was it. If you wanted more you had to hope they made a sequal. PC games have been adding on to games for awhile now but they weren't always cheap. C&C. Warcraft would add expansions but they cost $20 dollars or more. Would I have liked more on the original disk? yeah, but i'm not sure I wouldn't say that for any game I have played and ejoyed.

If you don't think the content is worth the 7 dollars then don't buy it. If you want to protest them charging then don't buy it. If you can't afford it or create 7 dollars by altering your spending habits for a few days then you should probably reconsider your priorities. I will buy it because its not a lot and I enjoy playing the game.

Page 2 of 14 First First 12345612 ... Last