Thread: Cure for Progressive lag problem

Cure for Progressive lag problem

Cure for Progressive lag problem

I found the cure for the progressive crippling lag problem. If your game starts fine then progressively lags out as you play until it becomes unplayable you most likely have interrupt conflicts! I haven’t messed with these since DOS!
    Open control panel select System, select the Hardware tab, click the device manager button
    From the menu bar, click view and select Resources by type and expand the Interrupt request (IRQ) option.
    One or more of the following will most likely be true:
    Your Network card will be sharing its interrupt with one or more devices
    Your Video card will be sharing its interrupt with one or more devices
    Your network and video cards are on the same interrupt
    From what I can tell this happened on my two effected boxes because I had upgraded cheap on board Audio, Network, and Video components with new cards and the motherboard didn’t make the interrupts used by the disabled components available. So windows split the remaining interrupts between my new cards (sharing them…). I was only able to fix the Lagged to hell problem after pulling my upgrades that conflicted with my network and video and re-enabled and re-installed the on board components. In both my boxes this meant pulling out the sound and Network cards.
    I had always wondered how Windows pulled off sharing the interrupts without any apparent consequence. None of my other multiplayer games (COD1 & 2, Battle for Middle Earth, Flat Out, many others) have such an obvious problem, but I bet they too will run slightly better now…
    Oh well not fun but BS:M now works on all my PCs.

Could be the problem behind some sound issues as well

I wouldn't be surprised if people with various sound issues have a resource issues with their sound card - that BS:M is sensitive to.

P.S. Hey Mr Eidos, do I get a free Full version or two for doing your dirty work?!?

Originally Posted by joesmaname
    I found the cure for the progressive crippling lag problem. If your game starts fine then progressively lags out as you play until it becomes unplayable you most likely have interrupt conflicts! I haven’t messed with these since DOS!
    Open control panel select System, select the Hardware tab, click the device manager button
    From the menu bar, click view and select Resources by type and expand the Interrupt request (IRQ) option.
    One or more of the following will most likely be true:
    Your Network card will be sharing its interrupt with one or more devices
    Your Video card will be sharing its interrupt with one or more devices
    Your network and video cards are on the same interrupt
    From what I can tell this happened on my two effected boxes because I had upgraded cheap on board Audio, Network, and Video components with new cards and the motherboard didn’t make the interrupts used by the disabled components available. So windows split the remaining interrupts between my new cards (sharing them…). I was only able to fix the Lagged to hell problem after pulling my upgrades that conflicted with my network and video and re-enabled and re-installed the on board components. In both my boxes this meant pulling out the sound and Network cards.
    I had always wondered how Windows pulled off sharing the interrupts without any apparent consequence. None of my other multiplayer games (COD1 & 2, Battle for Middle Earth, Flat Out, many others) have such an obvious problem, but I bet they too will run slightly better now…
    Oh well not fun but BS:M now works on all my PCs.

This could be a good tip! Let's try tonight.

I got the irq list,

seems my pci-e, my usb universal host controller and the bus driver for high definition audio all share irq 16.

Hummm but your network card is in the clear, mine in both instances was on the same interrupt as my video. On one of my PCs that now works it still shares Audio, Network, and USB on one interrupt. Just getting the Video off that same interrupt fixed the problem. I think the others are fine because they all are part of the same SIS chipset. It may still be that your sharing an interrupt between audio and video is causing a problem but I have my doubts with no network conflict. I spent the better part of the weekend getting rid of the death lag, you’ve got to like a challenge for sure… Good luck!