Thread: Torpedo Spread

Torpedo Spread

Torpedo Spread

Like many before me, I am trying to get past Ship Challenge No 2, sink the Houston. I have seen her, getting past the Chester once is my high point of achievement so far, but I am still trying.

My question is this. When the Allied ships launch torpedoes they leave the ship (destroyer or cruiser) in groups of three torpedoes at a time, but then the group of three torpedoes fans out so that the three individual torps each follow a path slightly diverging from their fellows.

When my Japanese ships launch torpedoes, they also launch in groups of three torpedoes each, but the three in any group always stay together and follow the same course. In effect this means that a spread of torpedoes from one of my destroyers just consists of two clumps of three torpedoes each following two different paths, rather than six individual torpedoes all gently spreading over the waves on six different and diverging courses. So much easier for the enemy to dodge two groups of incoming torps than for me to dodge six individual torps from the enemy!

I can't find any way to make my torps act like the Allied torpedoes - I have tried firing while turning on maximum rudder, pressing the LMB in different ways, etc. Is there a way to make them fan out after launch, or are we players stuck with only a single direction of travel for each group?

Smile

its a case of you fire one change your aim slightly very quickly and launch etc.

Thanks very much for the quick reply. However, I do not quite understand your suggestion - when I am controlling my destroyer with torpedoes selected and the three green lights showing, and click LMB, all three torpedoes launch immediately and together. The number of torpedoes being carried on board immediately reduces by three (from 27 to 24) as soon as LMB is pressed. Clicking quickly on LMB (or doubleclicking) while shifting the aim view with the mouse merely fires the second group of three, torpedoes carried reduces immediately to 21 - no separation of the torpedoes occurs, they travel all together in clumps of three.

As far as I know, only the computer is capable of making torpedo fans to that degree. Just set Torpedo to on with Alt+Right and let the computer take the reins of the torps.

I'll give you hint to sinking the houston. when the ships come on screen send your dd's away and drive away from the enemy ship's, DO NOT TURN TO ENGAGE THEM. this will draw the dd's away from the CL or CA and give you time to deal with them before you need to engage the cruiser. I never use my dd's in that map unless I'm having trouble sinking an enemy DD.

As far as the torp spread, its hard to do it and it takes alot of practice but it can be done.

The Allied torps are launched in either 1 at a time, or 2 at a time.

They launch 1 torp 3 times (per side) or 2 torps 3 times, but that is all they can launch until reloaded. The 1 torp is the CL, the 2 torp is the DD, so if you've played MP, you get what I mean by the confusing above.

Originally Posted by battleshipman
    As far as the torp spread, its hard to do it and it takes alot of practice but it can be done.
    Thanks battleshipman, that's very encouraging. What is the technique to do this, what do I practice? Is it just pressing LMB, or is there some other button I should be using? The torps still launch three at a time in the same direction no matter how light or heavy my touch on the LMB.

It's impossible. Just a limit of the game. You'll never be able to do it.

Originally Posted by Crimson_Goblin
    Thanks battleshipman, that's very encouraging. What is the technique to do this, what do I practice? Is it just pressing LMB, or is there some other button I should be using? The torps still launch three at a time in the same direction no matter how light or heavy my touch on the LMB.
    The only way I've been able to do it was while I changed to torps start clicking before I got on them(while one torp light is green and the other is yellow. once I get the first one to fire I have no problems getting it to fire one at a time. It's just not very easy to do.
    In Game:
    -=)CSF(=-bttleshpman

Bingo battleshipman, thanks a million! They now launch in one's and two's using your technique - not six separate tracks, but four is better than two. Let's see if Chester and Houston are so good at dodging the long lances now ....

I seriously had to play that level at least 100 times to beat it. :P

The concept of challenge missions is awesome. It took me a while to even get the plane missions (and I've been flying for over 10 years in other games now =P). And I STILL can't beat Java Sea at all.

And if you're having fun with Java Sea, I heard Hunt for the Cruiser is worse =P

Originally Posted by Colosseum
    I seriously had to play that level at least 100 times to beat it. :P
    i did it 100 times and i still didn't beat it

Exclamation It's not

Originally Posted by Arrow
    The concept of challenge missions is awesome. It took me a while to even get the plane missions (and I've been flying for over 10 years in other games now =P). And I STILL can't beat Java Sea at all.

And if you're having fun with Java Sea, I heard Hunt for the Cruiser is worse =P
    Hunt for the cruiser is much easier.
    You just have to come enough close to a cruiser to shoot her with all your torpedoes(50m)
    I know it isn't very fair play but it works.
    Also,if you eliminate all enemy ships exept Nachi you can follow her in her trail. Nachi has all guns in the front so you can simply avoid her fire by following her on a 20m distance.
    Than you can easily sink her with torps