Thread: U.S. Naval Academy logo

U.S. Naval Academy logo

U.S. Naval Academy logo

Sorry for posting to ask, but I picked it up from Gamefly, hence no case/booklet. Does the documentation for the game mention if the U.S. Naval Academy name and logo are used with permission?

Yet another worthless post
    Anybody actaully care?

Originally Posted by andy3536
    Yet another worthless post
    Anybody actaully care?
    Well, I WAS going to buy the game because it had the US naval logo on, but now that I found out it hasn't, I guess I'll have to give it a miss. [/sarcasm]

Originally Posted by treyadams
    I care...using a trademark or copyright without permission is usually frowned upon.
    Copyright 2007 Eidos Interactive Limited. Battlestations: Midway is a trademark of Eidos Interactive Limited. Eidos and the Eidos logo are trademarks of Eidos plc. All Rights Reserved. The ratings icon is the registered trademark of the Entertainment Software Association. Microsoft, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox Live, the Xbox logos, and the Xbox Live logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries and are used under license from Microsoft. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
    Straight from the back page of the manual. Seriously dude, there are FAR greater things in the world to worry about than using a logo or trademark improperly. There are a ton of things about this game that you can complain about too, legitimately, without having to nitpick trademark law. Lighten up.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why don't you get a booklet or case from Gamefly?

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    BTW. if you do but the game (recommended) there is a donation deal with Eidos that donates $10 for each to teh USO.

I am not 100% sure but I think that most if not all (usa at least) govt. logo's are not under trademark,therefore would not violate any copyright laws.

Hey my tax dollars paid for these designs,they better not be making a profit off of them!

Originally Posted by chip5541
    BTW. if you do but the game (recommended) there is a donation deal with Eidos that donates $10 for each to teh USO.
    Really? There is no post / news or anything about that.. Sure it isn't going right into Eidos pockets? nice try

Well, if you have the game, on teh back of teh manual it says:
    "Act now for the 30-day free trial to get up to $20,000 dollars in special savings with teh VA Travel Card.

For each trial membership Eidos will make a $10 donation to teh USO"

Yeh, the documentation implies that any trademarks are used with permission.

And about this game and Annapolis.... it should be course material there. lol

Originally Posted by chip5541
    Well, if you have the game, on teh back of teh manual it says:
    "Act now for the 30-day free trial to get up to $20,000 dollars in special savings with teh VA Travel Card.

For each trial membership Eidos will make a $10 donation to teh USO"
    What does all that mean? What is a VA Travel Card and what is the USO?

USO: The United Service Organizations Inc. (USO) is a private, nonprofit organization that provides morale and recreational services to members of the U.S. military worldwide.

VA Travel Card: The VA Travel Card is a yearly membership program that saves families up to $20,000 in travel expenses. These are special benefits previously only available to the men and women who served in the U.S. military — now finally available to all Americans.

Wow do you check everything you use if all the logos, trademarks, and copyrights are properly permitted?

Noble, but oh so profoundly sad.

Actually, yes, when companies launch products thay do check and re-check that sort of thing.

Silly poster...the reason it stood out to me is because I'm a grad. I don't expect you to understand.
    I assumed you went to the USNA, otherwise it would be even more lame that you care about misuse of the logo.

Sorry for posting to ask, but I picked it up from Gamefly, hence no case/booklet. Does the documentation for the game mention if the U.S. Naval Academy name and logo are used with permission?

lol @ you

This is a joke right?

I assume we are speaking about a piece of work created by the US Government?

this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Navyacademylogo.JPG

check out the disclaimer. Public Domain = Fair game.

Originally Posted by Romanot

check out the disclaimer. Public Domain = Fair game.
    Yeah these would almost have to be,remember the Govt is 'supposed' to be non-profit,so therefore if you had to pay a licensing fee to use this,that means the Govt would profit off of the use of one of its logos,which in theory would be illegal.Like I said,our tax dollars paid for these logos to be created and should at least be public domain to anyone living in the USA.

Actually, yes, when companies launch products thay do check and re-check that sort of thing.

Silly poster...the reason it stood out to me is because I'm a grad. I don't expect you to understand.
    as a grad I am surprised you didnt know this. I have only worked in the goverment for 3 years and it is common knowledge.

I wish all wargamers had this much energy when it comes to ridding the world of hackers and pirates who steal games! Talk about breaking copywrite laws!!

My 2 cents