Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Beta Survival Guide

Beta Survival Guide

Beta Survival Guide

I thought it might be useful to have a reference for you guys since we don't have a tutorial yet. Let me know if you want anything else expanded on or explained.

HUMANS
    General Tips:
    - Stick together! Humans are very effective in a coordinated group as they can defend eachother from vampires.
    - Use glowing health stations to restore HP and Ammo. They can only be used every 2 minutes.
    - Remember to use your abilities (bound to Q and F)! They are crucial for surviving a skilled vampire attack.
    - Press SPACEBAR plus a direction to dodge. Sideways dodges are very useful for evading vampire attacks like Pounce or Charge.

HUNTER
    - Your automatic crossbow is very powerful but becomes less accurate the longer you fire it. At long range, use short bursts to maintain accuracy.
    - Remember to use your Bola (Q) ability! It will disable a vampire for a few seconds, buying you time to finish him off or escape.
    - Your Explosive Shot (F) ability is a great burst damage tool and can hit multiple vampires at once in an area.

SCOUT
    - Hold RMB to draw back your bow. Once it reaches full charge, the ring around your reticle will turn green and you will deal significantly more damage with your shot.
    - Don't rely just on charged bow shots. Rapid firing does great damage and is much more effective in melee situations than trying to charge your bow shots.
    - Use your (Q) ability, Throw Knives, for burst damage and stun. If you can hit a vampire with them, it will interrupt any attacks they're executing and buy you some space to dodge away or shoot.
    - Your (F) ability, Volley, calls down a damaging area of effect rain of arrows. It doesn't hurt teammates, so it's great to drop in a team fight to whittle down the enemy team.

ALCHEMIST
    - Your bombs will explode on impact if you can hit the vampire directly, so aim carefully!
    - Your Sunlight Vial (Q) functions as a Flashbang grenade. Vampires can still attack while blinded, so make sure to move in an unexpected direction after dropping it!
    - Fire Wall (F) is an excellent deterrent and severely wounds vampires who decide to run through it. If you're in trouble, drop a firewall and dodge backwards to escape an attacker.

VAMPIRES
    - Hold SHIFT to automatically climb walls, hop over ledges, etc.
    - You can restore your health by EXECUTING an enemy with the (X) button. You can drag a body to a safer place by tapping (E) while standing near it. Tapping (E) again will drop the body at a location. Executing takes time, so it's best to try to pull a body around a corner or into a building to execute safely.
    - Your health will automatically regenerate up to 25% of your health bar over time, but there is a delay after the last time you took damage before it kicks in. If you get low, lurk a bit until your health regenerates before re-entering battle.
    - You can hold down LMB (Melee) to charge a longer range, more powerful melee attack. This is great to use when sneaking up behind enemies.

REAVER
    - You are fast but not very durable. Don't try to run straight at humans and expect to win - sneak up on them, or open with a POUNCE attack.
    - You can lock-on with your Pounce (RMB) attack by holding down RMB and pointing at the human you want to attack. When you see the Claw slash marks above their head, press LMB to leap. You will automatically aim towards your target.
    - Shadow Bomb (Q) is a great enemy dispersal tool that blinds enemies and paints them with outlines for you and your teammates. If a group of humans is camping a spot, drop a Shadow Bomb on the area to split them up.
    - Evasion (F) is an amazing survival tool. You'll automatically dodge arrows and other projectiles for a few seconds, and take 50% reduced damage from AOE attacks, but you cannot attack for the duration. A good strategy is to attack and press F when you get low health to allow you to escape and regroup. You will also break out of negative effects like Bola.

TYRANT
    - You are the meat shield of the vampire team. Don't be afraid to play the Tank role, though Tyrants can excel as damage dealers as well. You are slower than the Reaver and Sentinel, but hit harder and can live longer.
    - Your Charge (RMB) attack lets you engage at high speed and send enemies flying. You can release RMB to end your Charge early and not incur the full cooldown.
    - Ground Slam (Q) is an Area of Effect stun that's great for disabling groups of enemies, or finishing off a straggler. Dropping in on a group of humans from above and immediately pressing Q is a great way to disorient the enemy team before your teammates swoop in.
    - Ignore Pain (F) is your survival ability. You take 75% reduced damage for the duration of the effect and will immediately break negative effects like Bola. You can use this as a getaway tool, but it's great as a Tanking ability. Enter combat, draw the humans' fire, and Ignore Pain to "tank" them while Reavers and Sentinels pick off the enemy!

SENTINEL
    - You can Fly around the level by leaping off of a building (hold SHIFT when running off a ledge) and tapping Spacebar to deploy your wings. You can drop out of flight at any time by pressing SPACEBAR again.
    - You can "Air Dodge" by pressing the strafe keys (A,D) in the air.
    - Kidnap (RMB) is your primary ability that lets you swoop down, snatch a human up, and carry them away. The higher you carry them, the more damage they take when they fall. To use Kidnap, fly near your target and press RMB to enter the Kidnap mode. If you can run into the human within a few seconds, you'll snatch them automatically.
    - Wing Flap (Q) is an AOE knockdown. Humans will take significant damage and go flying back. It's great to use near ledges or rooftops, and can totally disable a group of humans for a few seconds as they recover.
    - Dive Bomb (F) must be used from the air and does AOE damage on impact and will briefly stun the humans. Line it up beforehand and then press F to enter your Dive bomb.

Wow, I had no idea I could climb as a vampire by holding shift. Neither did I know it's possible to charge the attack. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Corey
    - Your (F) ability, Volley, calls down a damaging area of effect rain of arrows. It doesn't hurt teammates, so it's great to drop in a team fight to whittle down the enemy team.
    Am I correct when I say that it does hurt yourself?
    I thought I saw that when playing yesterday. Is it a bug, intentional, or did I see it wrong?
    Sorry if this is a known issue, I haven't had time to look at that thread yet.

Alchemist firewall skill also hurt yourself.

I do kinda like that fact that they work like that, makes you have to think a bit more about using them. If it included friendly fire it would probably be abused though.

All AOE skills hurt the user so you can't just stand in them with impunity.

Absurd as it sounds, it should be mentioned that as a REAVER, you actually can throw your Shadow Bomb
    (further than right in front of your feat), just by lifting your coursor a little^^
    It took my a day and a half to realize it

Is there a control map somewhere in the game that gives you an indication of what button does what - rather than this list? The list was helpful thought Had to play from memory luckily the controls hadn't changed since com-day.

Is there a way in the alpha to change your character class when you have died? - I recall pressing Loadout or something on the day but that just loaded me in - didn't let me change character type. I got stuck playing Reaver and it was bad.

@lucin - Whenever you die there's a button on the bottom right of the "killed by" screen titled "Loadouts". If you click that, the left side menu has the different classes and you can just switch between them there.

Ta muchly, Eric just must not have pressed it in time!

Found the control list too now Woohoo

Hi Psyonix_Corey,

A favour to ask of you if I might, could we get this thread linked on the headlines box on the start/news screen in game after the "Important -please read" news headline?

I ask because I have encountered new players asking lots of the questions that are already answered here and sometimes its just hard to answer in game while avoiding being killed.
    People can't fly, heal, charge attacks, climb buildings, or realise they can execute. If you titles it "How not to die" and highlighted it green in the headlines box then hopefully it would grab a few peoples attention and maybe more Alpha testers would also start using the forum.

Thanks,
    Syst3m

@system,

I wonder if this is needed. It might be better if these people scout the forums a bit.
    But that is my opinion.

I agree Hirukaru, but at a guess these people are not coming to the forums at all.
    This might push them in the right direction and make them come here.

I know there is the key list on the game itself and these directions but is there a way that on the website there could be a downloadable key list? A one page sheet to show the functions? So you can print off and have in front of you whilst you play? This would be good to assist new players.

I know there was one at the com-day which had key functions …George and the gang will know what I’m on about…and then the survival list Corey posted here – get these available on website as easy instructions because they are really helpful!!!

I have one I’ve made myself but it’d be good to have an ‘official’ one that’s available to all somewhere central rather than just on the game or a forum thread. I’m quite happy to put what I’ve made up here as an example – if it’ll help with what I’m babbling on about – though haven’t because it’ll have to be uploaded to an open website like photobucket…though maybe some kind hearted moderator could attach it for me…or maybe I could use one of their websites to upload it?

Just a suggestion

EDIT: Ok so here is the thing I made which kinda helps...posting it in hopes it'll help some others too

(EDIT: Humans - MMB is Melee Attack)

I can edit it if I have some keys wrong...think I have them right - maybe

....and thank you Driber
    Last edited by lucinvampire; 3rd Feb 2014 at 12:40.

These are great tips and it would be cool to see them copypastad' into the game. I know we have skill descriptions but this could supplement class overviews.

very useful. thanks!

Thanks for the tips, but i have much to learn. It's not in my fingers yet, i'm faster killed than i can respawn.

Can you send this in an email in every language to every new player please, for the love of science. I was just about to make a similar post but I guess a lot of people don't read the forums.

'I've been noticing new players arrive that do not have a grasp of the gameplay at all. Some are well willing and open for information/tips advice etc. Others just don't communicate keep soloing etc it is highly annoying to play several matches with 0% chance of winning.

I really would like to see some sort of introductory system for new players and a better matchmaking system because solo queing against a "premade" team is undo-able/unwinnable and very much no fun at all.

very nice guide thanks for the help

I just bought the take off ability for the Sentinel vamp (Razielim). It's so bad-ass. Never felt more empowered, taking off like Superman in front of all of my team members AND then doing it repeatedly in front of the human team to show them who's boss! Just gutted it only last seven days before I have to buy it again (although I suppose I'll be earning more gold as I play).

Anyway - keep up the great work guys!

Glad this is up. Studying it at work so I can wreak havoc when I get home.

Originally Posted by mappalazarou
    I just bought the take off ability for the Sentinel vamp (Razielim). It's so bad-ass. Never felt more empowered, taking off like Superman in front of all of my team members AND then doing it repeatedly in front of the human team to show them who's boss! Just gutted it only last seven days before I have to buy it again (although I suppose I'll be earning more gold as I play).

Anyway - keep up the great work guys!
    In the store there is little drop down menu in the upper right when buying an item that asks if you want the temp or permanent version. It's at the checkout part.

Great thread, learned a lot that I was missing. Perhaps they should include some kind of tips like these or a tutorial, it'd be helpful.

Originally Posted by Orionte
    Great thread, learned a lot that I was missing. Perhaps they should include some kind of tips like these or a tutorial, it'd be helpful.
    Dear Orionte,

There will be a tutorial in the game at a later stage. Good luck and enjoy the game.

Originally Posted by hirukaru
    Dear Orionte,

There will be a tutorial in the game at a later stage. Good luck and enjoy the game.
    Glad to know

Thanks for the info and good luck you too!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last